FA pass rushers!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

FA pass rushers!

how would you rank the FA pass rushers? any guys i am missing that would make an immeadiate improvement to our pass rush.

1. Cliff Avril DE detroit 6'3" 260

probably not leaving detroit but could be a great addition if he reaches FA.

2. Manny Lawson OLB SF 6'5" (the guy i want the most in FA although he is a RFA)

a former first-round pick in 2006, has been a bit of a disappointment in San Francisco.

The 26-year-old has largely failed to live up to the lofty expectations of his first-round status. Lawson has only compiled 14.5 sacks to this point in his career. He managed 6.5 sacks in 2009, which most interpreted to be a sign of a possible breakout.

Lawson followed that up with only 2.5 sacks in 2010, but maybe a change of scenery is what he needs. Tully Banta-Cain never managed more than 3.5 sacks in his time with the 49ers, yet he's produced five or more sacks three times while playing for the Patriots.

Lawson is a 6'5" beast who came out of college running 4.43 40-yard dash times, and New England would be an interesting reclamation destination.

3. Ray Edwards DE Vikings

The 26-year-old was a fourth-round pick by the Minnesota Vikings in 2006. Edwards has racked up an impressive 29.5 career sacks and has progressed nicely with no signs of slowing down.

Edwards totaled 13 sacks over the first three years of his career, but after earning extensive playing time in 2009 and 2010, he turned it up a notch. He notched 16.5 over the last two years and has earned himself a hard look from any team looking to get more pressure on the quarterback.

4.Charles Johnson DE Carolina

The 24-year-old was a third-round pick in 2007, and up until 2010 he was a largely unknown commodity on the Panthers' defensive line. Julius Peppers' departure created the opportunity for a new pass rushing threat to step up, and that's precisely what Johnson did.

Entering last season with two career sacks, Johnson broke personal records in 2010. The defensive end collected 11.5 sacks, which ranked fifth-best in the NFL.

Again, if New England decides to address the defensive line, it has a player available in Johnson who could fill the void while offering sky-high potential in the pass rushing department.

5. matt Roth OLB Browns 6'4" 275 (most likely to be brought in)

the Patriots are most effective on defense when they can set the edge with big outside backers who have the ability to rush the passer in a physical style. Roth has been a good addition for the Browns since he left Miami and has been able to accumulate 7.5 sacks in the last 22 games and over 100 tackles. Roth is not an ideal coverage outside backer, but his size, toughness and power would fit in perfectly with the Patriots. Since college, Roth has played almost exclusively for former Bill Belichick lieutenants: as a collegian, he was with Kirk Ferentz at Iowa. In the pros, he’s also had stints with in Nick Saban (Miami) and Eric Mangini (Cleveland), which would likely mean an easy transition into the New England system. He would be a relatively inexpensive sign. And he certainly fits the body type the Patriots require when it comes to finding someone who could set the edge in the run game and provide a spark to the pass rush.

6. Jacob Ford DE Tennessee 6'4" 250

Ford ran the 40-yard dash in 4.68 seconds, which ranked second among defensive ends. He also bench-pressed 225 pounds for 19 reps.

The 6'4", 250-pounder has collected 15.5 sacks in his three seasons; Ford missed the 2007 season with an Achilles injury.

If the Patriots determined a need on the defensive line, Ford could fill the void while providing a solid pass rush from the end position.

7. Mathias Kiwanuka DE giants

He made 16 starts in 2008 and collected a career-high eight sacks, but Kiwanuka has struggled since.

In 2009 he only made six starts and struggled to even get on the field in 2010 due to injury. Now 28 years old with a history of neck issues, many rightfully wonder what this guy has left to offer.

I'm in the boat that knows this guy has 23.5 sacks in 41 career starts and that he's a force to be reckoned with when he's on the field. I think he's a prime candidate for a breakout season in another city, and it'd be mighty interesting if he decided to make that reclamation attempt in Foxboro.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Re: FA pass rushers!

Being realistic, Roth is my first choice.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

i did say that many of these guys are unrealistic, but if we could sign roth and/or potentially trade for manny lawson our pass rush would be set for the next 3-4 years.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Ford could be interesting.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

yeah ford isn't getting any love here on these boards so i thought i'd add him to the discussion (some discussion huh...)

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I'd love to see what BB can do with Manny Lawson. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fancy-shamanski. Show fancy-shamanski's posts

Yeah a solid FA olb would be a great addition almost better than drafting one. Somehow I have a feeling that BB is going with what he has and won't bring in anybody impactful.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

i think he will bring in roth for sure, he would be cheap and an upgrade over nink/TBC

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

lawson actually right now is the most consistent pass rusher in the league right now! he might not get the sacks but he does get the pressure! BB should definiately sign him even if it costs us a 3 or 4th round pick
    http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/03/16/pass-rushing-productivity-3/

NameTeamPositionPass RushesPRP
    Tamba HaliKC3-4 OLB52414.41
    Charles JohnsonCAR4-3 DE48113.25
    Ray EdwardsMIN4-3 DE41612.98
    John AbrahamATL4-3 DE36312.67
    Lamarr WoodleyPIT3-4 OLB42712.65
    DeMarcus WareDAL3-4 OLB50912.38
    Manny LawsonSF3-4 OLB21812.04
    Cameron WakeMIA3-4 OLB44512.02
    Trent ColePHI4-3 DE50011.90
    Jason BabinTEN4-3 DE43311.89

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dna53. Show dna53's posts

Here's a good article with video http://60maxpowero.com/draftermath4.html good stuff

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

this is all going to come down to the free agent rules once the lockout ends. nobody knows what they will be, although pat kirwan often says on Sirius NFL radio that he has a strong feeling that not only will 5 year players be unrestricted but 4 year players could be too. so that will change the entire complexion of free agency.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

hopefully 5 year players are unrestricted that would make lawson a free agent! and BB could swoop in and steal him. but it would also make BJGE, mankins, etc free agents!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

true, but mankins is franchised and i dont think BJGE would be too expensive to resign. but its also no doubt that BB drafted 2 young running backs with that possibility in mind. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

what would you guys think of since lawson is a RFA and it would require trading for him, what would you think about trading Hoyer, whilite, lockett, and a 6th round pick for Lawson.  SF really needs a QB/CB and we really need a passrusher. (SF also needs a RB/ILB Depth) it doesn't look like the fan base is happy with lawson in SF and It seems that the management is unhappy with the type of contract he is looking for (3-6 million). it makes sense that BB would have a backdoor deal ready to trade hoyer when he selected mallett.   we have to remember TBC didn't perform really well in SF and he has worked out pretty good here, lawson would be a beast here!

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

signing roth and lawson would fix our OLB spot and turn a weakness into a strength. especially with TBC, nink, and Cunningham

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fancy-shamanski. Show fancy-shamanski's posts

Signing a player the likes of Roth would make this draft great as all of their needs would be addressed and a veteran OLB would be able to make an immediate impact.

If they sign an OLB then they would have un believable depth at every position!  Deep down I'm worried that belicheck won't or will sign some cheap guy like a ninkovich type player.  They need to pull the trigger on this to make the pats the best team ever!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZigZig. Show ZigZig's posts

Were not getting anybody, so stop with the stupid posts!!!!! Were going 2 stick with what we got(no 12+ sack guy and no #1 WR)     which means --------------------> No Playoff wins ever again!!!! and no SB win ever again!!!!!!!!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dna53. Show dna53's posts

I like these guys list http://60maxpowero.com/draftermath4.html

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

with the new CBA we will be required to spend more so who knows maybe bb will be forced to bring in a high priced FA and resign mankins?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: FA pass rushers!:
    with the new CBA we will be required to spend more so who knows maybe bb will be forced to bring in a high priced FA and resign mankins?
    Posted by natesubs

That is possible, but at the same time NE isn't skin-flint for the sake of it. They don't like commitments to players they aren't sure about.

Re-signing Mankins seems a lot more likely.

I don't see Bill and Co., going out and adding faces to meet the salary floor. I could see them adding a few peices of low-risk, quality depth before making a splash for a "name."

IOW, the floor could just as easily (IMO) result in bodies instead of faces.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Also, Ne is above the salary floor now, IIRC. My (rough) math would put them at around 93% as it is. $113.5 milliion, which of course, counts the $10.5 million for Logan Mankins' franchise tenders.

Even if they re-sign Mankins, I really don't expect any "splashes" in FA. Bill always keeps a "piggy bank" of a few million to make small in season moves. Add in the few contracts he will try and get done, like BJGE and probably Matt Light and another safety and/or cornerback, and I don't see where the flexibility comes to nab someone like Lawson anyhow.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

i agree, i think we will see a couple of seasoned vets and a couple of young free agents who are the run of the mill variety, and hope a few of them are productive. thats generally been the way BB has done things and its worked out pretty well i think. for the most part, free agency has hurt us in the rare cases when BB has gone for the high priced guys from other (colvin, AD), or not ponied up for our own players (law, asante, branch, to name a few). but the mid level free agents have always been positive (not that every one has made it, but he has found some good under the radar contributors ever year. i expect the same this year.

Sections
Shortcuts