FA Summary

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

Re: FA Summary

grade B, we just need to add a pass rusher and we need an outside receiver, maybe a trade can happen

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Good analysis.  I agree with it all.  Losing Woodhead is the one that I hate, but just because I love to root for him.  He is a pretty good 3rd down back, and I loved to laugh at the Jets for cutting him everytime he made a play.  SD will be a good home for him.  All in all, I still hope we get a 4th corner and bring in another vet WR, but things are coming together.  I doubt we will see Vollmer back.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

If Gronk doesn't make it thru the season AND the playoffs healthy, and the Pats dont get any more reciever help this team is not Super Bowl worthy on the offense side of the ball.  Not even close.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Good thread and analysis, Rusty.  No issue whatsoever with what you've written.  If not Vollmer then some more O-line depth will be helpful.  Be interesting to see if we get Edelman back. Like to see another wideout.

Productive draft will be helpful.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to Patsman3's comment:

If Gronk doesn't make it thru the season AND the playoffs healthy, and the Pats dont get any more reciever help this team is not Super Bowl worthy on the offense side of the ball.  Not even close.

not on the defensive side either

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

Now if they can add Elvis Dumervil to that group the D starts looking almost as good at the O.  Elvis is not happy that Denver released him and could go elsewhere if he got a matching or better offer!  Just the Fax!!!

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

Ok, so let's analyze the things have done. So far, BB has done almost exactly what I was looking for short of getting an all purpose RB/FB typ in here.

1. Leon Washington.  Replaces Woodhead. Cheaper, much better on kick offs.  Underrated move. I would have preferred Ginn for a WR deep threat kind of sub player, but this is fine because it's dirt cheap.

2. Welker gone. Amendola in.  Younger, more versatile, bigger upside in the future.  Good value for the skill set.

3. Resign Arrington. Many do not like this guy, but I think he's invaluable. Rated as the 2nd best nickel when used there last year, he's a lot cheaper than LaDarius Webb, who would have cost a 1st rd pick last year that some wanted to give up.   THis is a way better move long term because it forces him into his best role for the team.  Also, he's not overpaid. It's becoming annoying to read that.

4. Donald Jones. An interesting choice. Features high IQ, good route runner, good hands, etc. I  like how they prioritized football IQ for once. The 1 year bargain basement deal screams "prove you fit in here and we'll talk after the season".  NOt a sexy signing by any means, but you wonder what 45 receptions with Fitzpatrick turns into with Brady and these weapons around him, assuming he makes the team.

5. Adrian Wilson. A huge, huge move on short money.  He will help settle the back end, make McCourty better and he can help groom Tavon Wilson. This guy is basically the Safety version of Aneas Williams in Arizona for 10 years. The best in the business, largely not known well enough by AFC fans in particular, but he changes the tone on the back end, big time.

6. Resign Talib. Another prove it deal. A coup because he chose to take the deal over other teams better offers. 5 mil for year is slightly under market, IMO.  His behavorial issues likely helped BBs leverage. This comes in well under the tag number too.  The flooded market helped BB as well.

Losses:

1. Loyd. He could still be back depending on BB's future moves.

2. Donald Thomas. Big loss in terms of depth. Really good up and coming Guard, IMO.  Indy got a good player. Good scouting on their part.

3. Welker. Not going to get into it again. The time has come.

4. Woodhead.  Loved the guy, but when overused we lost games just like with Welker.  His last deal screamed bridge season for him personally with Vereen ready. Congrats on your deal, great teammate, etc.

Unknowns: Vollmer, Edelman. Ditch Vollmer, bring back Edelman. 

Abraham, Emmanuel Sanders?  Would like both in here.

Overall, I am thrilled so far and can't complain. The main things that seem likely is the WR situation and a veteran CB on the dirt cheap, maybe league minimum for camp.

BB has had a plan and worked very well so far.

Good thread Russ, bottomline: we are not done.  And wait till the Draft, UDFAs, training camp cuts.  There is still time in FA now, but there will be more change down the line.  Either people accept the changes (Welker gone) or not, it really doesn't matter, because BB and the Pats are moving on.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Leon Washington vs. Woodhead..Leon better kickoff returner obviously, but Woodhead is younger and more versatile on offense. I'm not sure if I'd necessarily compare the two, but I did. I'd give the edge to Woodhead in this department (in reality Vareen just needs to step up for this to work).

Welker vs. Amendola...Welker wins this easily in my opinion - Welker is the best slot receiver in the history of the NFL and Amendola is not. Amendola has upside, but if he has proven anything to this point, it's that he can't stay healthy. Welker I think can produce at a reasonably high level for another two years...and the real kicker is we could of had him at a reasonable number for that duration. Amendola may be a tick faster, but the fact is no one has caught the ball closer to the line of scrimmage than Amendola out of all the receivers in the NFL. Edge Welker.

Donald Jones vs. Lloyd. I really hope and I suspect another shoe will drop with this one. Lloyd was reasonably solid for us...he gave us a little something 12-15 yards down the field along the sidelines...don't think that was nothing, because it helped. Jones may be that guy - he is younger, bigger and faster - but he also had a reputation for dropping balls in Buffalo. Edge Lloyd.

Wilson and Talib vs. what we had last year. We had Talib, so that's a draw. What we had last year at safety was hot garbage, so Wilson will no doubt be better than that. Edge Wilson and Talib.

Overall I have to think this whole thing is far from done. As of right now I'd say we may not of improved yet, but I'm hopefull that will change in the next couple of days. Right now the reality is we lost a slot receiver and replaced him with an unproven commodity and we lost an outside receiver and so far have replaced him with an even bigger unkown. The biggest plus was getting Talib back for the money he signed for - that was beyond huge. Adding a safety that will be 34 next season is no sure bet, but when you look at what we have at that spot...it's got to be an improvement.

We very well could lose Vollmer and he's a very good player, but we got back Arrington (he's good in the slot). Again, I think this is far from a finished product at this point.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I think the Pats are at half time in free agency, and depending on what Vollmer does, they may be done except for some tweaks here and there.

The Globe gave the Pats a "C" grade, and I agree. Based on the money the Pats had available, Talib signing was huge, and I liked Arrington back as the nickle. Everything else IMO was no big deal. I dont see the a single difference maker signed outside of Talib (and hopefully Vollmer) and I think you have over estimated AWilson.

I agree losing Thomas is big. I think Washington is not capable anymore of taking snaps on offense. I think JOnes is questionable to make the team depending on tghe Sanders situation and the draft. Notice the Pats offered zero guaranteed money to him.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I think the Pats are at half time in free agency, and depending on what Vollmer does, they may be done except for some tweaks here and there.

The Globe gave the Pats a "C" grade, and I agree. Based on the money the Pats had available, Talib signing was huge, and I liked Arrington back as the nickle. Everything else IMO was no big deal. I dont see the a single difference maker signed outside of Talib (and hopefully Vollmer) and I think you have over estimated AWilson.

I agree losing Thomas is big. I think Washington is not capable anymore of taking snaps on offense. I think JOnes is questionable to make the team depending on tghe Sanders situation and the draft. Notice the Pats offered zero guaranteed money to him.

Sure.  What's the Jets then? An F-?

The anti- BB Globe gave BB a C for some really nice moves both keeping the right FAs, moving on from others and then adding quality infusion pieces?

LOL! Sure, RKarp. You would agree with that.

Be sure to stop by the Jets FA thread and update us on the Jets cap space along with their FA moves like formerly cut placekicker, Nick Folk. bawaaaha

what do the Jets have to do with the Pats squandering their hard negotiated cap space?  I have not been following the Jets moves, as once they were $22m under the cap, I again proved you wrong and lost interest in the Jets...

Are you still giddy over the Pats signings? Or do you also sense they squandered $$$? Seems you are sold on Cannon, I am not (yet). Ditto Wilson (Adrian).Ditto JOnes.

I like Arrington and Talib signings, but it seems what they saved on Talib they turned around and gave it to Arrington...

Also thought the tender to Hooma was foolish..no one else would have signed him 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

The anti- BB Globe gave BB a C for some really nice moves both keeping the right FAs, moving on from others and then adding quality infusion pieces?

Be sure to stop by the Jets FA thread and update us on the Jets cap space along with their FA moves like formerly cut placekicker, Nick Folk. bawaaaha

I seriously can't believe how far your head is up your aszz. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it..you're delusional. It's sad honestly.

I feel bad for this Erick Frenz guy - youwill bash him for his anti-Belichick jealousy. LOL!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to Patsman3's comment:

In response to 42AND46's comment:
    [QUOTE]not on the defensive side either
    [/QUOTE]
    It's a wonder that we ever win a game!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRABBB. Show JRABBB's posts

I would have failed BB!-Getting rid of Welker along with how old Brady is now ...it's the beginning of the end if 2012 wasn't!

Just getting into the playoffs then failing miserably isn't what NE and their fans used to hang their hats on.

Now that's all anyone talks about in here. The pats haven't won the big game in almost a decade now and it all starts with the guy behind the center who just negotiated himself a 27 million raise.

Do old QB's get better with time or do they just get older?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Volmer is really good but the odds are he will continue to have health issues, should not sink too much into him. So I agree with letting him walk.

There is still a bigger deal to be done. The Patriots do not have many draft picks and the upside to that is actually not having to set aside as many $$ for the rookie signings.

The deals I would love to see is getting Emmanuel Sanders,  get Freeney or Abraham and Mike Jenkins.

Draft OL and if they can't get Freeney or Abraham, an edge rusher.

Can all of this be accompllished?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

NFL: AroundTheLeague ‏@NFL_ATL

Belichick notes Amendola has been productive inside and outside as a receiver.

Plug and play and keep the defenses guessing.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

what do the Jets have to do with the Pats squandering their hard negotiated cap space?  I have not been following the Jets moves, as once they were $22m under the cap, I again proved you wrong and lost interest in the Jets...

Are you still giddy over the Pats signings? Or do you also sense they squandered $$$? Seems you are sold on Cannon, I am not (yet). Ditto Wilson (Adrian).Ditto JOnes.

I like Arrington and Talib signings, but it seems what they saved on Talib they turned around and gave it to Arrington...

Also thought the tender to Hooma was foolish..no one else would have signed him 

BB has done a masterful job. Wait until he has 2-3 other quality players who get the same offers from crapier teams, all competing for one job here.

You don't get it.  BB can sign 2-3 more vets to compete in ket spots at league mins who could very well make and HELP this team in a big way.

The market is flooded.

So, when are you leaving the board because you lost the bet?

My thread was just deleted again for no reason with mod censoring me left and right, but when are YOU going to leave the board because you lost your own bet (25 million under on 3.12 to compete with the Pats in FA)?

You're a gutless, pitfiul human being.

BB hasn't done a "masterful" job as of yet in this free agency period. We lost our most consistent player on offense to another AFC contending team for cheap money. We lost a younger running back (Woodhead) and signed an older one that was cut. We lost a up and coming guard to another AFC team. We signed a 34 year old safety that was benched last year for performance reasons. We resigned a corner who no one in their right mind would trust without police supervision.  We signed a butter fingers, no name wideout from Buffalo to replace the only outside threat we had on offense last season...because of money.

Now perhaps this thing is far from done - and it had better be - because this has been no masterful free agent period. Last year was no masterful free agent period. The year before wasn't...the year before that, before that, and before that. I think we'd have to go back 6 years to find a masterful free agent period. It's a shame you can't be the least bit objective when discussing this stuff.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

I don't get why people are so surprised?  BB rarely ever spends big money in free agency.  He prefers to preserve cap space for keeping younger players we drafted or traded for in house (which is why I expect us to retain Vollmer) and then finds value in FA on lots of cheap and potentially undervalued vets.

During the SB years this approach yielded guys like Joe Andruzzi, Bobby Hamilton, Mike Vrabel, Roman Phifer, Larry Izzo, Bryan Cox, Anthony Pleasant, Antowain Smith, David Patten, Christian Fauria, Rodney Harrison, Tyrone Poole and Keith Traylor.  None of these guys were flashy signings and all played important roles in our SB victories.

In other years its yielded guys like Leigh Bodden (who was actually dam good before we paid him), Alge Crumpler, Andre Carter, Mark Anderson, Brian Waters, Brandon Lloyd (who I will admit I am confused why we cut), Dante Stallworth, Jabar Gaffney, Danny Woodhead, Tully Banta Cain (who again was pretty good before we paid him), Junior Seau and Gerard Warren who all made contributions to the teams they were on (many of whom were on teams that made it to the SB).

Some years it works better than others, but I don't see what is so controversial about the approach.  There is a salary cap and we'd prefer to use that space on players that have experience in the system.  We build through the draft and fill in the gaps with FA hoping to hit on enough to put us over the top.  Again I question whether we would be having this conversation if Asante holds onto the pick or Wes holds onto the pass.  No one is saying BB is infallible, but I don't mind the methodology.  Is it that different than what a team like the Ravens do for example?  Everyone seems to think Newsome is a good personnel guy (and he is).

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts