Falcons @ Patriots REPORT CARD

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Re: Falcons @ Patriots REPORT CARD

The D does not deserve an "A" probably a solid B or B+ . They did cause some timely turnovers though. If not the Pats could have just as easily been losing. If Brady ever starts playing the way he's capable it will make the D even better. He left way too many points out there. We should have droped 35+ on Atlanta. I think the weakest part of the whole team has been special teams coverage all year and Brady being pretty rusty so far. O Line gets and "A" for once though and RB get an "A". They finally tried to establish the run Laughing

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

Even a Colt troll like myself can admit that I was very impressed with the Pats yesterday.  That was a very good Falcon team your boys beat.  I thought the Pat defense looked very impressive.  The Patriots and the Jets are going to have a knock 'em down, drag 'em out battle for the division this year...it'll be fun to watch.  Good luck with Baltimore - I may find myself in the unfamiliar position of rooting for the Patriots next weekend.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Falcons @ Patriots REPORT CARD:
    [QUOTE]Even a Colt troll like myself can admit that I was very impressed with the Pats yesterday.  That was a very good Falcon team your boys beat.  I thought the Pat defense looked very impressive.  The Patriots and the Jets are going to have a knock 'em down, drag 'em out battle for the division this year...it'll be fun to watch.  Good luck with Baltimore - I may find myself in the unfamiliar position of rooting for the Patriots next weekend.
    Posted by JulesWinfield[/QUOTE]

Jules:

Since you seem to be in a rare pass out praise to the Pats mindset, let me reciprocate in kind. Peyton Manning has been outstanding in his last two games. Dwight Freeney almost singlehandedly shut down the Arizona offense last night...and rookie WR Garcon seems to be a real find (dammit!!). LOL!! 

The Colts are playing much better than advertised...and, once again, appear to be a legitimate SB contender (dammit!!): http://www.indystar.com/article/20090928/SPORTS15/909280350/1058/SPORTS03/Kravitz++Short+work+week+doesn+t+bother+3-0+Colts+one+bit

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichickDisciple. Show BelichickDisciple's posts

Thanks for the report card, Tex...

Not much to add to other posts - the defense really did an outstanding job, and that 4th and 1 call was a great moment - it takes a lot of guts to call that play, and it takes dedication to execute it - we won the game right there in my opinion.

Tom is still working his way back - there were more than a few errant throws - but it was great to see him fired up, and he will only continue to get better. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Joey Galloway begin to disappear - that one he dropped was right in his hands - it seeemed like he just didn't want to take the hit from that safety. 

The O line was also terrific. A great win, and I think next week will be a battle royal - I'm really looking forward to that game.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Falcons @ Patriots REPORT CARD : You are as usual hard on the D. Time of our possession was 2 to 1 ratio and that is outstanding. D deserves an A.

RESPONSE: Psycho...the unit played well...but didn't deserve an overall  "A" grade. The "D" was only on the field for 20 minutes. Only one turnover generated. The offense dominated (except in the redzone), and made the "D's" job a lot easier. If the "D" forces several turnovers, scores a TD, or is the focal point of a close, low scoring win...thats' the type of material needed for an "A" game. Besides, whats' wrong with two B-plusses and a B? If they did that year round, the Pats would win the SB.

Play of the game was going for it on 4th and a foot on our 25. That was a big game changer because it was a vote of confidence in our D, and they responded by shutting down Atlanta for the rest of the game. 5 drives: fumble, punt, punt, punt, and punt. People think it was crazy of BB to do that, but I think it was brilliant on a few levels. Most importantly sending a message to the D that he was trusting them to bail him out in case he didn't get that 4th and 1. If we had a poor D, no way he calls for that.

RESPOND: I tend to agree with you. Great showing of guts by BB, and confidence in his offense...more so than his defense, to get the short yardage needed.

Brady: C, but that is to be expected. By giving him a C, I am respecting his potential to come back from a knee injury. It is not over by a long chalk. That is a devastating injury to overcome, and many players just don't succeed. The hard thing for Brady is that it is on his lead leg which he must apply torque to carry through on weight transfer 100% even though his first instinct is not to do that. If you see his throws sail high, it means he is not following through on weight transfer.

RESPONSE: Brady appeared to be more confident in the pocket this week. The weather conditions had something to do with his poor throws.

Receivers: C with Galloway skewing the grading scale.

RESPONSE: Though I agree with you on Galloway, to skew the grade that much because of his poor play completely obscures the fine game by Randy Moss, and the big plays made by TEs Watson and Baker.

RB: I think that illegal motion was a bad call because one player can be in motion as long as it is not vertical, and Faulk was not really going vertical, he was veering a little, perhaps a little slant, but nowhere near vertical. I think they deserve a strong B.

RESPONSE: Faulk appeared to be going vertical to me. I called the penalty in my own mind before the refs' flag hit the ground. Fred Taylor was outstanding.

Coaching: A Don't know if people noticed, but BB was involved in the playcalling. That is why you saw much more creativity today. More screen, runs, and even a reverse.

RESPONSE: All true. But something must be done to improve the performance of the offense in the redzone. TDs, not FGs, are needed to beat teams like the Colts, Jets, and Ravens.

Posted by patpscyho[/QUOTE]

Overall, I was encouraged by this performance. The offense looked much better (except Galloway, and the play in the redzone), and the secondary looked played alot better.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

"that one he dropped was right in his hands - it seeemed like he just didn't want to take the hit from that safety."

Maybe Brady wanted him to take the hit from the safety?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

TP3:

Agree with all of your grades, except for the coaching staff - who should have gotten an A rather than A-. I believe that they called the right plays, but cannot be faulted for any faulted execution by the players (in this context); and should be commended for their inspired call to go for it on 4th and one at the Pats 25 yard line. That sent a message to all concerned that the Patriots were playing for keeps.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjxg. Show mjxg's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Falcons @ Patriots REPORT CARD : Mayo has played 1 year and Wilfork, as proven today, is greatly overrated.  This is why BB isn't going to pay him big dollars.
    Posted by Kmax[/QUOTE]

Find another person who can tackle Turner in the backfield with one arm while engaged with an offensive lineman.

Wilfork is not overrated. Not saying we're going to pay him, just saying he's worth the money.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Tex....   once again, fine job.

You aluded to the fact the Pats got a break by having this game played in wet, rainy conditions.  That statement, in a way, downplayed their achievements against the Falcons.  Both teams had to play in the same conditions and the Pats were by far the better team.  If a "domed" team can't play well outside, they may not be as good as they think they are.

What we saw yesterday was an offense rounding into shape, a D that is definitely better than we may have thought.  Many in the media thought the Falcons, with how good Ryan has been playing, would be problems for the Pats D.  Consider they played without Wilfork in the second half and shut Atlanta out!  Red Zone misfires aside, the positive is they are getting there while keeping the other team out!  If only Galloway can find his hands!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CEHenry3. Show CEHenry3's posts

There seems to be a misconception about time of possession and how it affected the defense.  So a few comments to make on that ...

The Falcons only had the ball for about 6 minutes in the second half.  A great deal has been made about how the offense held it for the other 24, and they deserve credit for that.

But look at what the defense did in the second half: Held the Falcons to 0-4 on third downs; Ryan was 6-10 passing for 64 yards, but only 2 first downs; held the Falcons to four drives of 5 plays or fewer.

Clearly, the offense did their job, keeping the ball when they got it.  But credit must go to the defense, for giving them the ball so quickly each time.  The first Falcon drive went 5 plays, 2:02, 31 yards, 1 first down.  The other three possessions?  10 plays, 4:07, 1 first down, 32 yards. 

Give some credit to the defense.  If this were the Ravens defense, we'd be talking about how they stopped the opposition so quickly!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]There seems to be a misconception about time of possession and how it affected the defense.  So a few comments to make on that ... The Falcons only had the ball for about 6 minutes in the second half.  A great deal has been made about how the offense held it for the other 24, and they deserve credit for that. But look at what the defense did in the second half: Held the Falcons to 0-4 on third downs; Ryan was 6-10 passing for 64 yards, but only 2 first downs; held the Falcons to four drives of 5 plays or fewer. Clearly, the offense did their job, keeping the ball when they got it.  But credit must go to the defense, for giving them the ball so quickly each time.  The first Falcon drive went 5 plays, 2:02, 31 yards, 1 first down.  The other three possessions?  10 plays, 4:07, 1 first down, 32 yards.  Give some credit to the defense.  If this were the Ravens defense, we'd be talking about how they stopped the opposition so quickly!
    Posted by CEHenry3[/QUOTE]

Its' not like I gave the "D" a bunch of "C"s...they played well. But, the offense, and the weather conditions, certainly worked in the "D"'s favor.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

McGowan, got his helmet on the ball and forced that turnover, thats play of the game. He also gets player of the game for shutting down TG.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Everyone seemed to think it was the defense that was going to be the "weak link", but yesterday proved us wrong. If the offense was half as productive as it was in 07 they would be 3-0 right now, and yesterday would have been at least a 3 TD win. But while a lot of people (especially in the media) are putting the blame on Tom, he's only partially to blame, IMO. Several balls went off the fingertips of the WRs yeasterday, also last week. In the NFL a WR has to catch anything that hits them on the hands (within reason). Galloway certainly isn't a good fit. Noy only can he seemingly not get on the same page with Brady, he's one dimensional. Gaffney would go deep, over the middle, slant routes, etc. Without an outlet like that Tom is going to have problems, especially in the red zone. Edelman looks pretty good, but he still needs work on his timing and route running. Hopefully Welker gets back next week. They are going to need him against the swarming defense of the Ravens. Overall I'd say yesterday was a good showing except in the red zone. But that should only get better as the season goes on. They will need to score TDs, not FGs to keep up with teams like the Saints, Colts, and Broncos. Just glad to get a win, though. Next week may be the toughest game of the season, except for the Colts who are always a bitter foe.
    Posted by bubthegrub2[/QUOTE]

Bub and All:

For those of you heaping accolades on the defense, check out this interesting article from Mazz in yesterday's Globe. Mazz gives the opinion that BB's gamble in going for a 4th and one from his own 24 yard line stemmed from his lack of confidence in his defense. He also argues that the Pats' "D" is overrated, as it is gave up an average of 5.7 yards per play against the Falcons, and 5.3 yards per play this season...ranking 15th in the NFL: http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/massarotti/2009/09/belichick_takes
    _control.html