FAN BASE PULSE : How Far Will Pats Get In Playoffs?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: FAN BASE PULSE : How far Will Pats Get In Playoffs?

The Patriots will probably win against the Ravens, but they will lose to San Diego. There are so many holes on this team, it's hard to pinpoint why. The Welker loss just puts the icing on the cake, and really highlights the need all season for someone to step up as our 3rd receiver. 
    I will be interested to see what the Pats do on offense. We have weapons at every position, I think its time we open up the offense a bit and start using our RB's and TE's more effectively as pass catchers and keep the Ravens off balance all day long. 
    The D on the other hand has to stop the Ravens running game and neutralize Ray Rice. If we can neutralilze Rice, we win. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

regarding the texans game, if we REALLY wanted to win it, why was leigh bodden inactive?  we were trying to win, but not enough to keep wilhite out of there.  so i throw out those results.  our d has looked good at times, and we will see now if they can put it together.  i say, yes, they will.  wes welker is a devastating blow, but maybe we will get back to the spread it around type of play now.  watson, baker, edelman, stanbeck (i gave up on aiken) will have to catch the ball sometimes.  THAT is the big unknown for me.  heck, maybe we should put kevin faulk in the slot.  or at fullback for some wheel routes.  either way, we must mix it up, go with short passing game, and run like we mean it, take shots down the field occasionally.  other than the saints, who blew us out all year?  NO ONE.  and lets face it, that saint game was one of those games you can feel is out of hand when it started.  I'm saying it is SUPERBOWL, baby!  GO PATS!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptFoxboro. Show CaptFoxboro's posts

I find it interesting that the GLOBE METER today has Pats chances of winning the Super Boql at  45% while this ACTUAL FAN POLL has 'em currently at 25% .
    ( I guess this can be construed as your average BOSTON.COM Reader is someone who is much more of a homer than the guy who takes the time to read threads / comment / vote ) 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Re: FAN BASE PULSE : How Far Will Pats Get In Playoffs?

I wish them to win it all, but I am worried they won't even win Sunday. 

Edleman is looking pretty good for a rookie, let alone a newbie at receiver.  But when Welker plays, he catches all or almost all passes thrown to him.  He was 13-of-13 10 days ago.  Eldeman was 10-of-15 Sunday.  That is a significant drop-off, though still good.

I wish they could run as well as everybody here seems to think they can, but we've been watching the running game under-perform one way or another all season.  Healthy backs don't block for themselves.  The line just isn't making the holes it needs to make.  And healthy backs still fumble balls.

The special teams - aside from Ghostowski - is inferior.  For people who forget how much that matters, I'll remind you that each of the Pats' SB wins came in part because of good special teams play.  Without it, no rings. 

The play-calling on both sides of the ball has been lacking at critical times.  I have seen things that make me want to pull out my hair.  Why should we expect any better in the play-offs? 

People here write about the team "gelling".  I have been reading that angle all season and guess what?  They have not gelled and they certainly are not going to magically gel now.  The D will need another year to gel.  The O will be rebuilt to some degree for next season and that means it will have to work on gelling through 2010.  Expect at least one o-lineman to lose his job.  We may have seen Faulk's last year.  Good rushing average, but on surprise run plays.  He has not been the open target he once was.  For a RB that has seen a lot of snaps, he is getting long in the tooth.  If the NFL had a stat for making clutch plays, he would be a cinch for the HOF. I love him, but I loved Troy Brown, too.  I think BB shapes Maroney into Faulk's replacement.

With Sunday's game, the Pats will not be able to run, period.  Realize this.  That means the Pats will have to pass and they have one great receiver in Moss, one good receiver in Edleman, and a bunch of unproven or disproven receivers coming off of the bench.  The QB is playing with multiple injuries.  This is a great match-up for the Ravens.  They will tee up on Moss and Edleman and pull ever dirty trick to hit Brady that they can.

Sorry, but I just don't see the Pats winning Sunday.  I have had a lot of hunches this season and almost all of them were right, just like I had a hunch the Giants would upset for 2007.  I called this season many weeks ago and so far, I have been right on the money, though I wish I had been wrong.

The good news is that I think they are going to be more competitive next year.  BB will do to the offense in 2010 what he did to the defense in 2009 - bring in new, young blood. I think it will culminate in a 2011 season Super Bowl win, barring the scale of injuries like last year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from number1troll. Show number1troll's posts

sorry, but lose at san diego. winner of sd/colts will win sb.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptFoxboro. Show CaptFoxboro's posts

chrisakawoody ... yah re: "Gelling" ~  I agree , it's hard to imagine after such an inconsistant regular season that now all of a sudden the Patriots are gonna put it all together .
      Though it's true that Pats Super Bowl winning teams of the past have had their problems / naysayers ...one thing they alll had in comon was the ability to finish strong ...this team has proven it cannot .

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

The biggest problems with this Patriots team this year were 1.) Wilhite taking on some pro-bowl WRs, 2.) lack of a pass-rush, 3.) unwillingness to run the ball, 4.) Brady forcing the ball to Welker and Moss in late in games. 

1.) We have Springs back.
    2.) The Sith Lord has found a way to get after the QB
    3.) We run the ball, and run it well
    4.) Sad to see him go, but with Moss now drawing all of the attention from the defenses now and welker on IR, we can only hope to see Aiken, Edelman, Watson, Baker and Faulk get the ball now. 

The 2009 SB champs!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat. Show seattlepat's posts

win the SB! nobody expect them to win it all the first time around. nobody expected the giants to win against the pats. so i say they have a pretty good chance now that nobody expects them to win the sb.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

I think they'll handle the Ravens, but anything beyond that is a toss up.

For the Pats to have any chance at all beyond tomorrow, their defense needs to fire on all cylinders every, single play.  And that might be the biggest long shot in the postseason.

Sections
Shortcuts