Farnham/Aiken/Slater?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Re: Farnham/Aiken/Slater?

Farnham

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

People like to beat on him here, as he's not a great receiver, but there's a reason Aiken is a special teams captain.  I have a hard time seeing him get cut.  Don't feel the same way about Slater though.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Slater and Aiken's both play big roles on ST, Aiken's maybe a little more then Slater but Slater was a special teams ace with an off year. Farnham wouldn't make the team as any of the top 4-5 WRs. Just don't see him nearly as talented as Tate or Price and with Edelman, Tate, and Welker later in the year working the 2 slot options and Price, Holt, and Moss on the oustide he'd have a hard time breaking into the lineup so he'd have to make his living on STs for now. I just don't see him as a better option then Slater or Aiken but who knows. My feeling is he's going to be on PS for atleast 2 years before smelling the field on STs when either Slater's or Aiken's contracts run up

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

Aiken was the special teams captain and had a few huge plays

i think he stays because of his versatility in the special teams department and possible WR playing time

Slater played some WR and SS but wasnt productive anywhere outside of special teams
    if aiken gets cut, then theres a possibility that slater says, but i dont see both on the team

Farmhands.... an undrafted rookie free agent... i think we have enough small, possession, white WRs.  he gets practice squad at the best

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

This year, let's look at the competition:  Moss, Welker by November if not by September, Edelman, Price, Brandon Tate if his knees work, Aaron Hernandez is really the big heavy type of slot receiver, Gronk can catch any football thrown 10 feet above the endzone, and Alge Crumpler could actually catch last year -- he just had a lousy QB.  That's eight downfield targets already.  On the bubble is Isaiah Stanback.  After that the squeeze is on.

On any other team, Aiken would have a job as a special teams ace and #4 wideout.  Maybe he can be squeezed in, maybe not.

Farnham might make the practice squad for now. 

I can't see Slater.  I physically can't see him, he's behind Hernandez or somebody.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEforever. Show NEforever's posts

I did not think slater was that good to stay on the team, seems like he could be repalced easily. And Aiken is not that good of a WR, but I can see why he stays because of his special team skills!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBRULES23. Show BBRULES23's posts

My grandmother would be better at WR than Aiken or Slater.  So if Farnham beats these guys out, it's not saying much.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

In Response to Re: Farnham/Aiken/Slater?:
    My grandmother would be better at WR than Aiken or Slater.  So if Farnham beats these guys out, it's not saying much.
    Posted by BBRULES23

That's for BB to decide, not you.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

i'll go with farnham since i went to high school with him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Farnham/Aiken/Slater?:
    Out of this group, who will make the team? I think Farnham is the best WR out of the group.
    Posted by NEforever

Aiken was special teams capt. last year, wasn't he?

Whichever one plays best/contributes most on special teams will make the team

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DogenHanda. Show DogenHanda's posts

In Response to Farnham/Aiken/Slater?:
    Out of this group, who will make the team? I think Farnham is the best WR out of the group.
    Posted by NEforever

The question can be broken down into two parts:

a/ Will Farnham overachieve enough in training camp and the exhibition games to put pressure on the people penciled in above him on the depth chart?

b/ If the answer to a. is yes, then which of the other guys is more potentially more threatened: Aiken or Slater?

If we go with the supposition that Farnham will impress the coaching staff enough to make them think about subtracting a player now on the roster to add him; then, who will BB let go: Aiken the special teams captain that can come in as a wide receiver if needed (not as likely this season); or Slater who averages 24.5 yards per kickoff returns?

It will an interesting call for BB to make if, and when, the time comes....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

We are in a good position with our receiver options and how this plays out is one of the more interesting stories/themes for NE. Will the local guy who went to a small non-scholarship school touted for academic excellence make the team? This presents the question "Is is it possible for a normal guy to work hard and make a pro team?" Everyman. 

I hope Farnham make the PS and then will enjoy watching if he can work hard enough to make it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

Farnham is a good story, but last year he was playing against guys who are now in law school, in med school, or who are on Wall Street -- hardly NFL competition.   Let training camp begin before giving him a roster spot.  Aiken is a very good special teams player and Slater is too apparently.  The odds are against Farnham supplanting two guys who are core special teams guys. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I think Aiken stays as he's the special teams captain and can play receiver in an emergency situation.  Drafting McCourty may nullify the need of Slater as McCourty projects as one of their top gunners and has some return ability.  In the end, I think Slater makes the team.

Like Wright, Gay and Guyton etc., before him, Farnham has a chance, though the deck is certainly stacked against him.  I'd be suprised to see him on the 53 man roster to start.

So to answer your question, I think both Aiken and Slater make the team.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

What the Farnham story is really about is: Could one of us make a pro team if we had the right coaching, training and opportunities are were willing to work both hard and smart?

My next door neighbor/friend/co-athelete growing up made it to Double AA in baseball. I didn't even make it on to the varsity baseball team (which did win the NYC Catholic HS championships). I sometimes wonder what the difference was in the end when both started out seemingly even?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: Farnham/Aiken/Slater?:
    What the Farnham story is really about is: Could one of us make a pro team if we had the right coaching, training and opportunities are were willing to work both hard and smart? My next door neighbor/friend/co-athelete growing up made it to Double AA in baseball. I didn't even make it on to the varsity baseball team (which did win the NYC Catholic HS championships). I sometimes wonder what the difference was in the end when both started out seemingly even?
    Posted by NYC

Don't forget about natural born talent and/or athleticism.

Sections
Shortcuts