FA's

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

FA's

As the draft is now over(duh), WHICH FA'S OR potential FA's should we hope for.  What about player trades.  Anyone need to go?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Re: FA's

here's the list to peruse over and see who's available

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

I could see a WR, 3-4 DE, OLB, and maybe another OG out there worth getting.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

The FA WRs i like are Sidney Rice and Vincent Jackson

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I think Rice had a serious injury ... which merits watching. I would not want to overpay for damaged goods. 

There are 'names' out there on the WR FA market ... but I'm not impressed. Only Jackson seems like a no-strings talent ... but he has mental issues. 

OLB is no different. I think Mathias Kiwanuka is cleared ... but he doesn't want to play OLB. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

This is a list of unrestricted free agents

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: FA's:
    This is a list of unrestricted free agents http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/28816202
    Posted by pats-fan-2007

There really isn't much there. 

Spears is interesting -- he might add a little. Certainly nothing at WR or OLB worth thinking about. 

I thought Santonio Holmes was a FA? Was I wrong?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

zb, i'm not a lawyer.....but it all depends on the lockout ruling.

If we go by 2010 rules, Holmes is not a FA.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: FA's:
    zb, i'm not a lawyer.....but it all depends on the lockout ruling. If we go by 2010 rules, Holmes is not a FA.
    Posted by pats-fan-2007

I know the legal part really well, but I forgot if he was a FA, had an option, or was tagged in 2010. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

I believe he was tendered @ 1st & 3rd.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

I remember clearly he had a problem with the tender and refused to sign it.

"I won't sign my RFA tender. I played five years to wait for my contract to come up in my sixth year. A business move was made to send me to New York in the last year of my deal in Pittsburgh. I don’t want to play anywhere for one year. I wouldn't do it. If I sign a contract, it’s going to be for multiple years. "---Santonio Holmes

http://www.thejetsblog.com/2011/04/09/santonio-holmes-wont-sign-rfa-tender/

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

Outside Linebacker/Defensive End

Want to take a stab at guessing the Patriots’ top four pass rushers in 2010? Go ahead, take a guess. Did you say: Mike Wright (+10.7), Rob Ninkovich (+5.7), Kyle Love (+2.0), and Dane Fletcher (+1.7)? Did you even get one of them? Doubt it. After losing Mike Wright – PFF’s top interior lineman in terms of www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/03/16/pass-rushing-productivity-3/">Pass Rushing Productivity – to a head injury in week 11, the Patriots were left without a player whose pass rush rating ranked higher than 15th.

The Patriots’ inability to get to the passer with any regularity was one of the major reasons they were among the bottom three teams in terms of passing yards allowed per game. In fact, if not for stellar play from rookie Devin McCourty (7th best CB coverage rating) the Patriots may have challenged the Texans for the dubious distinction of being the worst pass defense team in the league. The point is, if you don’t have a player able to pressure the quarterback without having to send the blitz, then you give the quarterback too much time to find an open receiver. Moreover, if you’re forced to blitz to generate pressure then you’re giving the quarterback an opportunity to burn you by finding the openings left by blitzing defenders.

In their three losses, the Patriots pass rush (QB sacks + QB hits + QB Pressures) averaged 9.33, or about half as effective as in their wins 16.5.

The Patriots could look to one of their two first round picks to address their pass rushing woes, or to a couple of free agents. The best two available free agents “fits” for the Patriots are Cullen Jenkins and Manny Lawson. Jenkins amassed the second most QB disruptions of all 3-4 defensive ends and the 3-4 OLB Lawson seemed to find his groove last year as he generated more QB pressure on a per play basis then guys like Clay Matthews, James Harrison and Cameron Wake.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/04/22/help-wanted-new-england-patriots/

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

2011 NFL Free Agents: Defensive Ends

• 1. Tamba Hali, DE/OLB, Chiefs. Age: 27.
      Franchised by Chiefs

I'll never understand how Tamba Hali didn't make the Pro Bowl this year. A monstrous pass-rusher, he registered 14.5 sacks. Capable of playing in any defense, Hali is going to make a ton of money this offseason. 

2.  Ray Edwards, DE, Vikings. Age: 26.
      Ray Edwards had a tremendous year, registering eight sacks and shutting down the run on his side. The question remains: How will he fare without the opposition keying in on Jared Allen and Kevin Williams?

3.  Mathias Kiwanuka, DE, Giants. Age: 28.

Mathias Kiwanuka looked like he was going to have a monstrous season, racking up four sacks in the first three weeks. Unfortunately, he landed on injured reserve with a season-ending neck injury.

4. Shaun Ellis, DE/DT, Jets. Age: 34.
    Shaun Ellis terrorized Tom Brady in the divisional round of the playoffs. He had a great year, but the concern is his age (34 in June).

5. Charles Johnson, DE, Panthers. Age: 25. 
    One of the top young defensive free agents on the market, Charles Johnson became the fifth Panther ever to record double-digit sacks (12) in 2010. He was dominant from the left end position all year. Carolina cannot afford to let him go.

6. Cliff Avril (RFA), DE, Lions. Age: 25.

Tendered by Lions (1st, 3rd)

Cliff Avril is a tremendous pass-rusher - 8.5 sacks in 13 games - but he's a liability against the run.

Jason Babin, DE, Titans. Age: 31. 
    Jason Babin recorded 12.5 sacks in 2010. However, his previous high was five sacks back in 2006. Is he just a one-hit wonder?

8.  Andre Carter, DE, Redskins. Age: 32.

One of the many reasons the Redskins sucked this season was because they couldn't get any pressure on the quarterback. Why couldn't they do so? Andre Carter's conversion from 4-3 end to 3-4 rush linebacker failed. Carter, who had 11 sacks in 2009, will thrive elsewhere.

9. Raheem Brock, DE, Seahawks. Age: 33.
    Raheem Brock was arrested for a DUI in early November. After that, he went on a tirade, recording eight sacks in the team's final seven games. Where did that come from? I'm not sure, but Brock turns 33 in June, so it's unlikely that he'll be able to continue this level of play for long.

10 Vernon Gholston, DE, Jets. Age: 25.
    Vernon Gholston was a huge bust for the Jets as the No. 6 overall pick in the 2008 NFL Draft. I'm listing him at 2.5 stars, however, for three reasons. First, Gholston is only 25, and has a ton of upside and athleticism. Second, I'd like to see what Gholston can do in a traditional 4-3. And third, defensive ends usually take a while to transition to the NFL. Granted, Gholston has shown nothing, but there's a slim chance he could be a very late bloomer. He's worth the risk.

11. Phillip Hunt, DE/OLB, CFL. Age: 23.
    Signed with Eagles

Phillip Hunt led the CFL in sacks with 16 last year. The last CFL pass-rusher to come into the NFL was Cameron Wake, but as far as this signing goes, the Eagles should be happy with half of Wake's production from Hunt.

12.  Wallace Gilberry (RFA), DE, Chiefs. Age: 26. Tendered by Chiefs (2nd round)
    Wallace Gilberry was great as a third-down pass-rusher, recording seven sacks in 2010. He's a poor fit for the 3-4, however, and could see much more action if he moves to a team running the 4-3.

2011 Free Agents: OLB 

1. LaMarr Woodley, DE/OLB, Steelers. Age: 26. 
      Franchised by Steelers

One of the top pass-rushers in the NFL, LaMarr Woodley has 35 sacks in the past three years.

2.  Chad Greenway, OLB, Vikings. Age: 28.
      Franchised by Vikings

One of the top outside linebackers in the NFL, Chad Greenway could be franchised this offseason. If not - Sidney Rice is Minnesota's other option - Greenway is going to receive a huge contract from someone.
    3.  Kamerion Wimbley, DE/OLB, Raiders. Age: 27. 
      Franchised by Raiders

Moving from strongside linebacker to defensive end depending on the situation, Kamerion Wimbley totaled 9.5 sacks and really helped shut down the run.

4.  Manny Lawson, OLB, 49ers. Age: 27. Manny Lawson isn't the greatest pass-rusher in the world, but he does so many other things very well. Moving on to a team with a 4-3 defense might be ideal for the former first-rounder.

5.  Rocky McIntosh, OLB, Redskins. Age: 28.
      A decent weakside linebacker in the 4-3, Rocky McIntosh was one of many Redskins who were lost in the new 3-4 look. McIntosh will have more success next year as long as he stays away from teams running the 3-4.

6.  James Anderson, OLB, Panthers. Age: 27. James Anderson had a very good year at strongside linebacker, recording 130 tackles and 3.5 sacks.

7.  Stephen Nicholas, OLB, Falcons. Age: 28.
      Stephen Nicholas took over the starting strongside linebacker job in Week 4 and never looked back. He performed very well playing two downs for Atlanta.

8.  Quincy Black, OLB, Buccaneers. Age: 27.
      Quincy Black did a great job as Tampa Bay's two-down strongside linebacker in 2010. He missed the final few weeks with a fractured forearm, which is no big deal.

9.  Matt Roth, DE/OLB, Browns. Age: 28.
      I'm not sure if Math Roth was hurt or not down the stretch, but he struggled late in the year after starting out really well.

10.  Ben Leber, OLB, Vikings. Age: 32.
      Ben Leber can still start as a weakside linebacker, but at 32, his best days are behind him.
    11.  Clint Session, OLB, Colts. Age: 26.
      The Colts missed Clint Session last year; he played in only five games because of an elbow injury.

12.  Thomas Davis, OLB, Panthers. Age: 27.
      Thomas Davis was a 3.5-star linebacker last offseason, but there's major risk here; Davis has torn his right ACL twice in the past two years.

13. Justin Durant, OLB, Jaguars. Age: 25.
      Justin Durant is a quality weakside linebacker, but is frequently injured.

14. Thomas Howard, OLB, Raiders. Age: 28.
      Thomas Howard was the odd man out in a very talented linebacking corps. Despite rotting on Oakland's bench in 2010, he could start for a new team at weakside linebacker next year.

15.  David Vobora (RFA), OLB, Rams. Age: 25. Tendered by Rams (original pick)

David Vobora started the final four games of the season at strongside linebacker and predictably played well. I have no idea why Vobora didn't start all year.

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2011OLB.php

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CanadianPat. Show CanadianPat's posts

If Sid Rice passes a medical; he is the guy I'd love to see the Pats nail.

He made Favre in Minnesota. Without him Favre was a 40+ year old QB ...

Rice and TB would be magical.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmmyslinski. Show jmmyslinski's posts

I would go after Woodley.  He would be a perfect fit.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Ouch, nice list Bobo but just confirmed to me that this is a very bad pass rush FA this year.

Realistically I'm not going to suggest any players who are looking for huge payday or would cost anything more then a 2nd pick to trade for. It's completely against what the Pats do and after the AD experiment I don't think they are willing to spend high on any FA's that weren't already in the Pats system.

So looking at the list the 1 name that stands out and makes the most sense is Lawson. Still young and has potential most likely looking for a contract in the TBC range. He is a good all around player but not adept in any one aspect. A former 1st round who has shown promise but has not lived up to the 1st round pick. He's the type of player the Pats love to bring in and see if they can get more out of him. He'd be the most likely target imo

Quincy Black is another interesting name. Coming from Tampa's system you know he can drop back and has shown flashes of getting to the QB but at this point he's not much better the Nin, Fletcher, or Moore.

Dave Ball is an interesting name out there for a low cost option. Last year before a concussion knocked him out he had 7 sacks. His lack of playing time over the last 7 years has prevent a build up of sacks he has shown the ability to put pressure on the QB in the right role

And don't rule out Gholston. I'm going to get some laughs out of this but he's going to be a extremely low risk high reward player that in the right role might actually be impressive. The physical tools are there just not the mental. He might be worth as a trainging camp body and see if he can learn anything

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

San Francisco grabbed a DE/OLB in Aldon Smith who will likely play the OLB in SF's 3-4 defense.  Ahmad Brooks is competent on the other side of SF's OLB tandom.  Even with some rookie salary restrictions #7 picks in the draft will still be making a hefty salary so SF may not want to invest so heavily in that position and they'll still have to come up with cash for Patrick Willis next season. 

I find it hard to believe the Pats will willingly go into next season with the same front 7 on D as they had last season, simply hoping young players will develop.  It makes perfect sense that they didn't want to reach in the draft but I liked Lawson comming out of college would love for them to go get a Manny Lawson at this spot.  

2010 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.

Grade: 72 | Key

Comment: Lawson is an excellent sized linebacker with speed and acceleration coming off the edge as a blitzing linebacker. He is athletic with good foot quickness, agility and body control, especially for someone with his length. He started all 16 games in 2009 and finished with 68 tackles and 6.5 sacks. Lawson can drop into coverage and get good depth and is starting to show good route recognition. He developing the ability to read the quarterback's eyes to get a jump on the ball from zone coverage. He still needs some work on his hand use when it comes to taking on and shedding blockers.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I'd go after Lawson, Wimbley and Roth if I were BB. 

Lawson is built like Willie McGinist, I think he'd do great in our system. Wimbley and Roth are freaks and I think that a change of scenery would do them good, both guys were brought into the league by Ratgini to play in, essentially, the same defense.

The DE position doesn't look worth chasing after. I'd just let Deaderick and Brace battle it out with Wright. Only two DEs can play in our system and they are Shaun Ellis and Andre Carter. Neither worth the paycheck and Ellis hates us. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dna53. Show dna53's posts

I like Steve Smith....James Jones...here a good site with video http://60maxpowero.com/draftermath4.html

Sections
Shortcuts