Fatal Flaw or Correctible?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Fatal Flaw or Correctible?

BB tried to revamp the D. He brought in Ellis, Haynesworth, Carter and drafted Dowling and bunch of UDFA's (Brown, Iedigbho etc.). What is the net effect? So far, NADA. The team still allowed SD 10/12 conversions on 3rd down and could not get off the field. Miami piled up tons of passing yards against as well. Others have said it better than me: "this is the same as 2010". Either one of 2 things will happen: the D will come together or not. I think: not when it counts against tough teams or in the playoffs. To me, BB tried but the parts he has chosen as the solution will not work. Do Ellis and Haynesworth have it still? And the safeties. We have been trying to get this right for a long time. We have seen countless DB's drafted over the last 4 years to no avail. What we have not done is to draft a dominant pass rusher. Of course, there are not many truly dominant pass rushers but the fact is we are one of teams without one. Willy McGinest is long gone.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Re: Fatal Flaw or Correctible?

I like it. Glad to see he broke from the norm, and I'm sure it will come together soon. An analyst said it best last night the defensne are the ones that got hurt most by the lockout.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Man, with the Giants D he ran in years past one would think he would have the toughest MF'ing Defense around!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

So, we give the W's back, then.  If the win ain't pretty and the D not like a fortress, looks like the Pats are doomed!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Way too early to tell.  Lots of new players and a new scheme.  I think you gotta wait until week six or seven to really understand if this is going to work or not.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

In Response to Re: Fatal Flaw or Correctible?:
    Way too early to tell.  Lots of new players and a new scheme.  I think you gotta wait until week six or seven to really understand if this is going to work or not.  
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

Bingo.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

I love how you mention the 10/12 against the chargers yet fail to mention that we held the Phins to 2/14 on third down...

Has the defense lost us a game yet? no?

The Steelers defense lost them a game, I though they were a great D...
    The Ravens defense lost them a game, I though they were a great D...
    The Chargers defense lost them a game, I thought they were a great D...

All the defenses in the NFL have struggled so far this year against the better offenses( and in the case of Baltimore, against Tennessee, lmfao)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

This team as constructed is good enough to win it all. It was good enough last year too. I don't care what anyone says. What you guys want is domination and that's a pipe dream.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

We are now in an Offense driven League.  Get use to it.  On any given week your Defensive performance is going to be directly proportional to the quality of the Offense it is playing.  We happen to play lots of very good Teams so our numbers will reflect this (not be very good).  Take the W's and move on.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Bilicheck's defense are DESIGNED to give up yards between the 20's, they always have. the only thing that changes year to year is how many turnovers we get and how well we execute in the redzone on defense.

The difference I see now is these playmakers we have during the season are not showing up postseason and making those some plays from regular season for whatever reason.

I like the switch, but Im not sure we have playmakers on the line.  Ellis is servicable and so is Carter, but I think they are too long in th tooth to produce at a high level every week.

Ideally, we would be able to insert Cunningham in Carters spot at times and get results and Ideally Brace would be making in impact inside when Haynesworth is going thru his issues...but our young guys are not getting it done right now..cant even stay healthy. I am disappointed in Brace , Cunningham, and to an extinct Spikes as well.  I am sad to see Chung out as he is our only consistent player right now...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeDerrWEDAT. Show WeDerrWEDAT's posts

Posted by prolate0spheroid

I dont really see many new players on your defense.  As for new scheme, I thought that little bill always ran a hybrid style defense.  I guess whatever helps you sleep at night but I do expect a little more of an honest post from you.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

there are many new faces on this defense with no offseason. we have had flashes of greatness which i believe will continue and will become more frequent with more playing time. the D will be fine assuming they figure out the safety position opposite of chung.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeDerrWEDAT. Show WeDerrWEDAT's posts

Are you talking about Ellis, Haynesworth and Carter?  Really???

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeDerrWEDAT. Show WeDerrWEDAT's posts

btw, grats on locking up nincovich for a couple more years.  that guy is really... ummm...average?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsBermuda. Show PatsBermuda's posts

We will bend, but we won't break!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

This team as constructed is good enough to win it all. It was good enough last year too. I don't care what anyone says. What you guys want is domination and that's a pipe dream.
    Posted by digger0862

Bingo

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaverhillBob. Show HaverhillBob's posts

I love how you mention the 10/12 against the chargers yet fail to mention that we held the Phins to 2/14 on third down... Has the defense lost us a game yet? no? The Steelers defense lost them a game, I though they were a great D... The Ravens defense lost them a game, I though they were a great D... The Chargers defense lost them a game, I thought they were a great D... All the defenses in the NFL have struggled so far this year against the better offenses( and in the case of Baltimore, against Tennessee, lmfao)
    Posted by GadisRKO

You know, there's a good reason for that.  One team had one of the worst offenses last year and the other had one of the best.  It makes a little more sense to base your opinion on the D's performance against one of the better ones. I certainly don't give the Jets much credit for holding Jax to three points.  My god, it's Jax!  Who can't hold them without a TD?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfitone. Show kjfitone's posts

its too early in the season, the defenses take longer to catch up, the whole league is like this now. imo they will look different in a few weeks. last years defense played well in the 2nd half of the season.

so far they have been very good in the red zone and have forced turnovers. they are 2-0 and haven't come close to playing their best football.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaverhillBob. Show HaverhillBob's posts

Bilicheck's defense are DESIGNED to give up yards between the 20's, they always have. the only thing that changes year to year is how many turnovers we get and how well we execute in the redzone on defense. The difference I see now is these playmakers we have during the season are not showing up postseason and making those some plays from regular season for whatever reason. I like the switch, but Im not sure we have playmakers on the line.  Ellis is servicable and so is Carter, but I think they are too long in th tooth to produce at a high level every week. Ideally, we would be able to insert Cunningham in Carters spot at times and get results and Ideally Brace would be making in impact inside when Haynesworth is going thru his issues...but our young guys are not getting it done right now..cant even stay healthy. I am disappointed in Brace , Cunningham, and to an extinct Spikes as well.  I am sad to see Chung out as he is our only consistent player right now...
    Posted by JayShizzle45

I was just reading a book about the history of NFL defensive coaches.  I was shocked to see how many prescribed to this philosophy of designing defenses to give up yards in between the 20.  It seems a little counter intuitive to design a D to give up yards, you'd think that the more yards you give up, the better chance that points end up on the board. 

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

You'll never geta  Jets troll to admit that while the Jets are an improved team over the last couple of years they are no where near being a championship team.

The best team in NY State is in Buffalo not NYC.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaverhillBob. Show HaverhillBob's posts

You'll never geta  Jets troll to admit that while the Jets are an improved team over the last couple of years they are no where near being a championship team.  The best team in NY State is in Buffalo not NYC.
    Posted by Evil2012

I agree, though I'm pretty sure that they are the only team in NY.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: Fatal Flaw or Correctible? : I dont really see many new players on your defense.  As for new scheme, I thought that little bill always ran a hybrid style defense.  I guess whatever helps you sleep at night but I do expect a little more of an honest post from you.
    Posted by WeDerrWEDAT

WeDerrWEDAT, you must not be looking closely!  We've got Carter, Haynesworth, Ellis, etc., who are all in the starting rotation on the D line and all new.  At LB, you've got the same guys but their roles are different, with Mayo playing 4-3 OLB as much as 3-4 ILB, Fletcher starting at ILB, and Ninkovich as a4-3 OLB.  The secondary has a new look with Bodden back, Brown and Barrett getting more snaps, Ras-I Dowling playing a role at nickel, and Merriweather, Butler, and Wilhite all gone.  BB always varies his scheme, but he's featuring 4-3 looks a lot more this year than last.  Of course there are still some similarlities with last year's D, but there's a lot of change too. 

Sections
Shortcuts