Faulk refuseing to retire

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

Faulk refuseing to retire

Why is it that some of the greats in sports history insist on hanging around just long enough to tarnish their respected history. Faulk one of the greats in Pats history attempted to come back from total knee reconstructive  surgery last year and was a total nonfactor taking up one of the vital roster spots.  And now turning 36 years old in June has made up his mind that he WILL NOT retire and hopes the PATS WILL HAVE INTEREST IN HIM. Will not retire and hopes the Pats will have interest in him? Does that mean he is willing to play elsewhere? Relay an interesting mind set. It appears to be that he would like to go out of the league only after having played his career out to the point where he is just another has been who refuses to admit that that there is nothing left and bleed the system for all he can get before it spits him out. Worst yet he leads us to believe that he will go to any bidder by stating that he hopes the Pats are interested in him. Why trade in all the respected history with the Pats for a futile attempt to revive a dead career for ANY bidder, and hope the Pats will WASTE a valuable roster spot on his last gasping efforts. I would have thought he would have appreciated the respect the Pats gave him last year with his gift of a roster spot, and not pushed his luck expecting more charity at the expense of the teams valuable roster spots.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

Re: Faulk refuseing to retire

I have no issues with him trying to make a few extra bucks... Think about it - Sapp is now broke - and football is how these guys make most of their lifetime money!

If someone is willing to pay him 1/2 a million bucks (or more) for ~6 months worth of effort, why should he give that up?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Whatever the reason, and for some its obviously financial, I don't begrudge anyone for "hanging on too long".  I've had this conversation with others and I have yet to be convinced about this "leave while you are on top" mentality. 

If a player wants to keep playing a team is willing to give him a roster spot, then by all means have at it.  I see no tarnish in continuing to do what you love to do even if you can no longer do it at the same level you once did.  There's no shame in that.

Now those that attempt to come back after retiring generally do embarrass themselves, but I say stick around as long as you can.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

if he's good enough to make a team then he should play if that's what he wants to do. IMO he isn't going to be able to play at a high enough level to hold down a roster spot on the Patriots. He looked slow and couldn't do much of anything in his limited playing time last year. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

I think he still has value to this team, especially with Benny gone. Now that the Pats are so young at the position, a classy, seasoned veteran like Faulk is needed as an example.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

This Faulk thing ya know, well- It sorta DOES svck...  Svx for EVERY-one involved, Both parties that is...  No long running NFL player whose had enough to success in the league to play at a pro level for a decade +, and come away with a few Superbowl trophies, and whom hasn't had to deal with being bounced around from team to team, Actually WANTS to leave on such a downturn...  Gotta be hard to hang it up as it is, under the recognition of age and diminishing skills...But add in that you're ending the game you love off of either: A perfect Season falling 1 play short in a SB losing effort, OR hanging it up under a huge reconstructive injury surgery, OR after yet 1 more losing effort in the biggest game.  Leaving on ALL those down-notes is sorta cr#ppy, ya know?

But, he's gotta...  The initial post was pretty harsh...but it's also pretty true.  He's gotta, because at it stands right now, He's hurting NE.  He hurt them last year, after BJGE saw his carries being taken away THE moment, THAT very game that Faulk stepped back into the RB committee mix...Ellis's attempts by game and even by series, started to vary by such an extreme degree from 1 second to the next afterwards...and NE's overall very only moderate threat with their running game was hurt, became a quagmire and a question mark, and subsequently less and less consequential and steady as the season wore on...  And how DO you cut a guy who's been simply THE Best teammate and loyal NE Patriot every second of his pretty successful pro career, upon his play beginning to become a negative for you???   

But'cha just GOTTA...you really do.  Like ya said, it not only hurts the so critically important roster number itself, but it also kills the establishment and hopes for successes of your other RBs (especially when they're only 2nd year young like Vareen and Ridley).

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

In Response to Re: Faulk refuseing to retire:
    [QUOTE]Whatever the reason, and for some its obviously financial, I don't begrudge anyone for "hanging on too long".  I've had this conversation with others and I have yet to be convinced about this "leave while you are on top" mentality.  If a player wants to keep playing a team is willing to give him a roster spot, then by all means have at it.  I see no tarnish in continuing to do what you love to do even if you can no longer do it at the same level you once did.  There's no shame in that. Now those that attempt to come back after retiring generally do embarrass themselves, but I say stick around as long as you can.
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

I am not advocating leaving while you are on top, but when your decline is obvious and you can not contribute to the team you spent 13 years with, even to the point you can't make the 45 man game day roster any more it get to be borderline embarrassing. When the Pats had a good starting RB (BJGE), and spent a 2nd and 3rd rd pick on RB, plus an effective change of pace RB (Woodhead) on the roster and you can only manage to get on the field for 24 positive plays in 2011 totaling 91 yards ( that's run and receiving), that is embarrassing. When the last two years have reduced his lifetime average running yards per game from 29.2 yds to 22.4 yds that is damaging to his legacy. What will one more year do to it?
      My point is you reach a point where you are trading in your respect and legacy for a small amount of CASH percentage wise to his lifetime earnings. And believe it or not there is life after football, we all have to work don't we, or does a career in the NFL absolve you from that obligation. The average NFL player will have earned more before the completion of their fourth year than most people will in their lives and still have over 35 years of earning ability. Why trade in your legacy for a mere vet min or similar contract?
      IF and I say IF we had a two year player who was hurt his first year and totaled 24 positive plays with a total 91 yds in his second year and had three players in front of him on the roster, everyone would be screaming bust and be looking for the cut.  Ochocinco has had nothing but grief from everyone yet he has nearly 3 times as many yards as Faulk in 2011 with only 17 attempts. Also an average of 22.4  rushing and 22.9 receiving per game is not considered spectacular by anyone's means, and the averages will just continue to drop the longer he refuses to except the inevitable. BJGE had very little respect here yet he averaged 39 yds per game with 26 0f those caries goal line situations limiting the yards gained.
      When you are good you earn respect. When you start to decline you live off of that respect. When you over stay your respect and welcome you lose that respect. FAULK IS TEETERING ON THE LATTER.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Whatever you think of Faulk's decision, it's got to be very hard to face the end of your career when you're only 36.  It's a tough age because you're not exactly young anymore, but you're barely even middle aged.  When most people would be entering the peak of their career, you're forced to start all over.  All your life you've been used to being ahead of everyone, a star, a champion and now--at still a quite young age in the grand scheme of things--you suddenly find yourself well behind even the most average person with a job.  The glory and the money are all nice . . . and I'm sure few professionals would trade that in for a more ordinary job . . . but these guys are still human beings and having to deal with that kind of jarring transition right in the middle of your peak years can't be easy no matter how much financial and professional success you've had in the past.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Hahahaha...sorry Prolate, I had to laugh at the Leafs fan being an ex-Torontonian and all lol

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Keep playing until noboday wants you or until you start hurting your football lagacy.  Faulk hasn't done anything to hurt his legacy, now lets see if the Pats or anyone else would like him. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]Hahahaha...sorry Prolate, I had to laugh at the Leafs fan being an ex-Torontonian and all lol
    Posted by CaptainZdeno33[/QUOTE]

Yeah, moving from Boston to Toronto is kind of a shock to the sports system. From the world's greatest sports city to arguably the world's worst . . . Still, as you can see, I've decided to embrace my new city's teams.  Go Leafs!   . . . OR at least fire Brian Burke . . . 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

In Response to Faulk refuseing to retire:
    [QUOTE]Why is it that some of the greats in sports history insist on hanging around just long enough to tarnish their respected history. Faulk one of the greats in Pats history attempted to come back from total knee reconstructive  surgery last year and was a total nonfactor taking up one of the vital roster spots.  And now turning 36 years old in June has made up his mind that he WILL NOT retire and hopes the PATS WILL HAVE INTEREST IN HIM. Will not retire and hopes the Pats will have interest in him? Does that mean he is willing to play elsewhere? Relay an interesting mind set. It appears to be that he would like to go out of the league only after having played his career out to the point where he is just another has been who refuses to admit that that there is nothing left and bleed the system for all he can get before it spits him out. Worst yet he leads us to believe that he will go to any bidder by stating that he hopes the Pats are interested in him. Why trade in all the respected history with the Pats for a futile attempt to revive a dead career for ANY bidder, and hope the Pats will WASTE a valuable roster spot on his last gasping efforts. I would have thought he would have appreciated the respect the Pats gave him last year with his gift of a roster spot, and not pushed his luck expecting more charity at the expense of the teams valuable roster spots.
    Posted by part-timer[/QUOTE]

What special information do you have?  As far as I know has the right to retire or not based on how HE feels, not YOU.  And last time I checked, BB doesn't give out "gift" roster spots, and if anyone got one, it was Ochocinco.  Get over yourself a bit.  Kevin Faulk is one of the all time great Patriots, and if he continues with another team, I will respect him as much as I do now.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

IMO, Faulk wasn't great.  Good, yes. Turned out to be a good all around back after he got over his fumbling in the early part of his career.

Thought he was a wasted roster spot last year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

For some of these guys, it's really all they know.  Pop Warner, Highschool, College, Pro.  Just a chain of years that they dedicated themselves mind body and soul to this game (especially on the College Pro level).  It's also lucrative.  In one year the average football player can make as much money as it takes the average person about 20 years to make (if not more).  That's hard to let go. 

I have nothing but love and the utmost respect for Faulk.  He epitomizes what the "Patriot Way" is all about as well as anyone and has done nothing but give his all to the team and the community since he was a rookie.  If he doesn't want to hang up his spurs just yet, I can't do anything but wish him the best and support him. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Faulk refuseing to retire : What special information do you have?  As far as I know has the right to retire or not based on how HE feels, not YOU.  And last time I checked, BB doesn't give out "gift" roster spots, and if anyone got one, it was Ochocinco.  Get over yourself a bit.  Kevin Faulk is one of the all time great Patriots, and if he continues with another team, I will respect him as much as I do now.  
    Posted by Davedsone[/QUOTE]

In other words, what Davedsone's tryin' to say here, is:  He can understand the continuing use of 36 year old Kevin Faulk taking a roster spot and getting some more of that hard-celing Team Cap dough...even though we currently have 1 player who already does Faulk's job better (Woodhead), and really- Odds are, that 1 will now be 2 guys this upcoming year (Vareen).  He can forgive the continuing use of Faulk and his prescence, absolutely scr#wing up the successes of what was looking like a decent running game (ALL last year, and up until the very MOMENT, Faulk came back to the gameday roster THIS year).  Similarly, He also understood when Faulk coming back to the line-up a couple years back for the playoffs (or just prior), meant that Faulk nearly lost the game single-handedly late in that first contest back bobbling and dropping a punt in the 4th quarter, while his roster prescence meant that NE had to cut a player that someone else swiped up and put on their own team's roster (forget exactly whom, but we were sorta p#ssed about on here at the time)...

ALL of that is A-O.k....  But certain things are inexcusable:  One of them is the gifted roster spot to a talented wide receiver, who wasn't able to come to only his 2nd Pro Team he's ever been on, Get on the same page with a New QB, New Coach, and New franchise, in order to pick-up and learn and be exceptionally successful at, ON Day #1- Every single nuance of what both Moss & Welker dubbed the most complicated Offense they had ever seen (yes- Moss & Welker did it...but there also was no other real option IF NE wanted to pass the ball otherwise in 2007; And how does this compare to Faulk's continued use...? It doesn't).       

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seymonster. Show seymonster's posts

if he comes to camp, his role will be pass blocker.  hes far better at that than any of the other halfbacks.  if any of the 27 fullbacks they've signed are better at pass blocking, he goes.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Faulk refuseing to retire : In other words, what Davedsone's tryin' to say here, is:  He can understand the continuing use of 36 year old Kevin Faulk taking a roster spot and getting some more of that hard-celing Team Cap dough...even though we currently have 1 player who already does Faulk's job better (Woodhead), and really- Odds are, that 1 will now be 2 guys this upcoming year (Vareen).  He can forgive the continuing use of Faulk and his prescence, absolutely scr#wing up the successes of what was looking like a decent running game (ALL last year, and up until the very MOMENT, Faulk came back to the gameday roster THIS year).  Similarly, He also understood when Faulk coming back to the line-up a couple years back for the playoffs (or just prior), meant that Faulk nearly lost the game single-handedly late in that first contest back bobbling and dropping a punt in the 4th quarter, while his roster prescence meant that NE had to cut a player that someone else swiped up and put on their own team's roster (forget exactly whom, but we were sorta p#ssed about on here at the time)... ALL of that is A-O.k....  But certain things are inexcusable:  One of them is the gifted roster spot to a talented wide receiver, who wasn't able to come to only his 2nd Pro Team he's ever been on, Get on the same page with a New QB, New Coach, and New franchise, in order to pick-up and learn and be exceptionally successful at, ON Day #1- Every single nuance of what both Moss & Welker dubbed the most complicated Offense they had ever seen (yes- Moss & Welker did it...but there also was no other real option IF NE wanted to pass the ball otherwise in 2007; And how does this compare to Faulk's continued use...? It doesn't).       
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]

you know Laz sometimes you know just the appropriate way to analyse and clarify a point so we all can understand the true meaning of a post that may not have been so obvious to all of us.  Thank You.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Faulk refuseing to retire : What special information do you have?  As far as I know has the right to retire or not based on how HE feels, not YOU.  And last time I checked, BB doesn't give out "gift" roster spots, and if anyone got one, it was Ochocinco.  Get over yourself a bit.  Kevin Faulk is one of the all time great Patriots, and if he continues with another team, I will respect him as much as I do now.  
    Posted by Davedsone[/QUOTE]

Lets see " BB doesn't give out gift roster spots", now what would you call the constant signing and stashing of ex military academy players on the roster useing the NFL's active military exemption. Signing bonus, workout bonus,roster bonus, then put on active military exempt roster list when they report  for duty. Sounds like a nice GIFT of a roster spot. Just BB's respect and appreciation to the military.

In case you haven't been aware of it but retirement is not always voluntary, and the decision may not necessarily be his.

I believe it will be your job to " get over me " how ever you chose to but I fully agree Faulk is one of the all time greats as a clutch offensive player. He never put up great yards but was clutch and dependable. But to say he was a great RB....the stats don't support it.

And yes seeing Faulk struggling to eak out another season in any other uniform other than the pats would tarnish his pats legacy for me and many others. And it should bother him also.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Faulk refuseing to retire : are you serious with this bull? his life, end of story who are you anyway his daddy?
    Posted by JintsFan[/QUOTE]

Now you have been doing so well lately. I actually have appreciated some, let me repeat some of your informative and amusing comments, especially with the absence of a couple missing hostile elements lately.
    And then you go and screw it all up with this adolescent, bordering on infantile tantrum and example of verbal diarrhea.

I am...who I am!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Faulk refuseing to retire : you know Laz sometimes you know just the appropriate way to analyse and clarify a point so we all can understand the true meaning of a post that may not have been so obvious to all of us.  Thank You.
    Posted by part-timer[/QUOTE]

^ Also, I'm very high maintenance (I usually even exhaust my own patience), I grate on people's nerves with even the most trivial of meaningless differences of opinion (but that's just because it's important for me for you to be as correct as I am), I overstay my welcome, and lastly I demand complete & total trust and absolute dying loyalty (even IN death actually) for those few closest to me...but that's only because the police are gonna question you about some fight I stepped in to because it didn't seem fair, or just some random law I broke, just for the simple sake that I didn't like the statutes of whatever that particular law inferred...

Like that song, I've been called bad company; They're right- I mean, I don't deny it. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

I hope to hang on too long myself. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

Faulk could very easily step into a coaching position. His experience would make him an asset to the coaching staff. That's how he could make some $$$ still being in the NFL. Anyway, he'll most likely be cut or waived if comes back and puts the pads and cleats on.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I thought last year Faulk was in the game plan only as a guy who would pick up the pass protection against the a steelers and Ravens. It was pretty obvious he couldn't handle the ball in his first game back. This year, if the Pats go with three legit TE's, BB goes with 4 backs including Fiammetta and Larsen may make the team as jack of all trades. Maybe a RB on the practice squad. Don't see a spot for Faulk , but no problem with him in training camp showing the young guys leadership.

Sections
Shortcuts