Favorite Football Movie

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shtarka. Show Shtarka's posts

Re: Favorite Football Movie

You guys have all missed the greatest football movie of all time- "Knute Rockne, All-American", 1940, starring Pat O'Brien and President Ronald Reagan as George "the Gipper" Gipp. In 1997, this film was deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant" by the United States library of Congress and selected for preservation in their National Film Registry...sorry Keanu Reeves...

Great dialogue-halftime during a tough game with Notre Dame losing to Army-

Knute Rockne: Now I'm going to tell you something I've kept to myself for years. None of you ever knew George Gipp. He was long before your time, but you all know what a tradition he is at Notre Dame. And the last thing he said to me, "Rock," he said, "sometime when the team is up against it and the breaks are beating the boys, tell them to go out there with all they've got and win just win one for the Gipper. I don't know where I'll be then, Rock," he said, "but I'll know about it and I'll be happy."

Wow, i get teary eyed just reading this....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cellucci. Show cellucci's posts

Waterboy

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

The Program, Friday Night Lights and the cancelled ESPN 11 week football series, Playmakers about the back story of the NFL are much more than football movies. They tell the seemy, ugly side of the role of competitive sports in American society. Egotistical, self centered coaches, injured atheletes no longer able to compete and no longer having a role in society, the competitive pressure of empty small town life where football has to fill individual voids, drugged atheletes and faked drug tests, coaches looking the other way, payoffs by boosters, submerged homosexuality, hatred among competing team-mates and criminal & abusive star players.

What else do you need to know? The NFL pressured ESPN to cancel Playmakers because it blew the lid off the NFL fantasy! How did we get to this place? It is such a long way from Pat O'Brien and Ronald Reagan in the naivity of Knute Rockne and "The Gipper". What a sad journey it has been and we all play a role in supporting and maintaining this madness.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to NYC's comment:

The Program, Friday Night Lights and the cancelled ESPN 11 week football series, Playmakers about the back story of the NFL are much more than football movies. They tell the seemy, ugly side of the role of competitive sports in American society. Egotistical, self centered coaches, injured atheletes no longer able to compete and no longer having a role in society, the competitive pressure of empty small town life where football has to fill individual voids, drugged atheletes and faked drug tests, coaches looking the other way, payoffs by boosters, submerged homosexuality, hatred among competing team-mates and criminal & abusive star players.

What else do you need to know? The NFL pressured ESPN to cancel Playmakers because it blew the lid off the NFL fantasy! How did we get to this place? It is such a long way from Pat O'Brien and Ronald Reagan in the naivity of Knute Rockne and "The Gipper". What a sad journey it has been and we all play a role in supporting and maintaining this madness.

+1

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I finally watched Friday Night Lights. Great movie. They really take their football serious. Just like some of our posters. :)

I liked Billy Bob Thornton as the coach. He was tough and intense but he also taught there's more to life than football.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

I finally watched Friday Night Lights. Great movie. They really take their football serious. Just like some of our posters. :)

I liked Billy Bob Thornton as the coach. He was tough and intense but he also taught there's more to life than football.

hey dig remember "Gus" ?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Awesome, glad you finally watched it and enjoyed it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

BTW, The NFL Network finished it's Greatest Football Movie Ever story witht eh winner being North Dallas Forty.

Here is the bracket of all movies...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000217390/article/the-greatest-football-movie-ever-finals

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

BTW, The NFL Network finished it's Greatest Football Movie Ever story witht eh winner being North Dallas Forty.

Here is the bracket of all movies...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000217390/article/the-greatest-football-movie-ever-finals

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

i still vote "GUS"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

i still vote "GUS"

Gus - DVD - Click Image to Close

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

hey dig remember "Gus" ?

Oh yeah. I loved the old Disney movies, especially the one's with Kurt Russell and Jan Michael Vincent. Looking at the cast of Gus, Fred Dryer was an Atoms player.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Based on Real life - in no order

The Express

Brian's Song

Blind Side

Rudy

Fiction

North Dallas 40

Varsity Blues

Friday Nite lites

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

hey dig remember "Gus" ?

Oh yeah. I loved the old Disney movies, especially the one's with Kurt Russell and Jan Michael Vincent. Looking at the cast of Gus, Fred Dryer was an Atoms player.

i seem to also remember dick butkus

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from victoryismine. Show victoryismine's posts

There is no question that REMEMBER THE TITANS is the best overall movie that involves football.

Sections
Shortcuts