Favorite thing from first preseason game?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

Favorite thing from first preseason game?

I would have to say for me it was seeing some screens.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Re: Favorite thing from first preseason game?

Running game and the defense.  Chandler Jones looks like he's gonna be a star.  Granted it was one preseason game but I am impressed with him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to "Favorite thing from first preseason game?":
    I would have to say for me it was seeing some screens. Posted by csylvia79
    Zolak said this too. He said 4 or 5 screens in the 1st half. Ridley and Vareen looked good running behind a young line full of backups. Jones looks like a stud working against the starting O line for N.O. I think our run defense is going to be top 10 again.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from I sat on your toilet. Show I sat on your toilet's posts

In Response to Re: Favorite thing from first preseason game?:
    Running game and the defense.  Chandler Jones looks like he's gonna be a star.  Granted it was one preseason game but I am impressed with him.
    Posted by DoNotSleepOnThePats

+1

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

the agressiveness of our defense with a great effort from hightower, jones, and scott. 

the power of our running game and the fact that mcDaniels is starting to use them again!  vareen and ridley are making the race interesting and bolden looked pretty good as well!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Jones really stood out.  Thought Mayo and Chung both looked good.  Hightower made some nice plays too, though he was caught out of position a few times. Corners were mixed, but I thought McCourty looked okay most of the time.  Overall the defense looked pretty decent. 

On offense, I was most impressed with the improvements in the run game.  Ridley looked as explosive as he did last year (and didn't fumble!). Really liked what we saw from Vereen.  Also liked the use of the backs in this game--especially the screens and passes to backs and even the runs out of I and offset I formations.  Brady and Lloyd need more work together, but I think that's going to be a great combo.  Gaffney also looked good I thought.  Still a lot of work to do, but overall there are good signs that this offense will be much more diverse than last year's.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Defense defense defense. And Vereen.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

my things that need work:
    1. Offensive line looked terrible!
    2. CB's need to turn their heads and look for the ball especially on 3rd and long!
    3. Fletchers injury!
    4. brady's timing with recievers is off but plenty of time to get in sync
    5. 3rd and long defense
    6. stallworth not making an attempt to stop the interception by playing DB?
    7. mallett's play, too long to release the ball, poor decisions
    8. hoyers play, needs work on decision making and accuracy
    9. penalties!
    10. return game!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

esp liked seeing we have 3 backs that can hurt another team.. and not just 4 yards; all have moves, all can get outside. ridley and bolden have power and some step to boot.

jones obviously
    scott made many great plays in a row on his own in the second half
    bequette made several plays in the second half

the run d looks very good so far

ras i looks good at this point.

mayo looked good in coverage early in the game.

middle of o line looked better than the tackles for all the concern about them(interior line).

d line looks good. especially if we can have 2 of 3 of jones, bequette and scott on the field at the smae time (though the latter 2 will have to do the same gainst 1st stringers)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

my things that need work: 1. Offensive line looked terrible! 2. CB's need to turn their heads and look for the ball especially on 3rd and long! 3. Fletchers injury! 4. brady's timing with recievers is off but plenty of time to get in sync 5. 3rd and long defense 6. stallworth not making an attempt to stop the interception by playing DB? 7. mallett's play, too long to release the ball, poor decisions 8. hoyers play, needs work on decision making and accuracy 9. penalties! 10. return game!
    Posted by natesubs

i wont even do mine yet. and def. not in this thread. seems many are too sensitive for a football fan to report what they see if it needs improvement.
    by the way, how do you have a coach who cannot get any cbs to turn their head over 2 seasons.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Funny how a run game and screens helps the D. lol
    Posted by CliffordWasHere

Yeah, the 40-something defensive players we were rotating in and out really needed the rest tonight.Wink

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Jones really stood out.  Thought Mayo and Chung both looked good.  Hightower made some nice plays too, though he was caught out of position a few times. Corners were mixed, but I thought McCourty looked okay most of the time.  Overall the defense looked pretty decent.  On offense, I was most impressed with the improvements in the run game.  Ridley looked as explosive as he did last year (and didn't fumble!). Really liked what we saw from Vereen.  Also liked the use of the backs in this game--especially the screens and passes to backs and even the runs out of I and offset I formations.  Brady and Lloyd need more work together, but I think that's going to be a great combo.  Gaffney also looked good I thought.  Still a lot of work to do, but overall there are good signs that this offense will be much more diverse than last year's.
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

chung didnt stick out with a great game to me.
    yes he caught a ball thrown between the #s to him. credit for that.
    otherwise nothing stood out there. neither great or terrible

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

The defense looks like it could be very good, Jones and Hightower are going to make some plays and having these guys means that BB can be more creative with the D. Dowling looked good too, he made a couple of plays out there. 

Really like seeing the screen pass, Why did they ever get away from it? It was a staple of the Weiss offense. The running backs looked good, Vereen and Ridley are going to be a nice one two punch. Lets hope that they commit to running the ball a little more. Defenses won't be able to scheme so easily and it will help keep Brady from being hit so much.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1guy1sharp. Show 1guy1sharp's posts

Jones showed great strength at the p.o.a. The kid isn't getting pushed around at all , in practice or tonights game. He come in camp with a few good moves. Very impressive indeed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

The defense looks like it could be very good, Jones and Hightower are going to make some plays and having these guys means that BB can be more creative with the D. Dowling looked good too, he made a couple of plays out there.  Really like seeing the screen pass, Why did they ever get away from it? It was a staple of the Weiss offense. The running backs looked good, Vereen and Ridley are going to be a nice one two punch. Lets hope that they commit to running the ball a little more. Defenses won't be able to scheme so easily and it will help keep Brady from being hit so much.
    Posted by sporter81

I know Law Firm droped a few screen/ short passes early last season. After that it was like the Pats just drop them from the playbook.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to "Re: Favorite thing from first preseason game?":
    Funny how a run game and screens helps the D. lol Posted by CliffordWasHere
    I've come to realize a few here are actually not aware of that concept.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Favorite thing from first preseason game?"

One less game until the regular season.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

2 words..... Chandler Jones.

Least favorite... Offensive line.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Defensively they looked good for a pre-season game. Overall on both sides of the ball I would say don't get too high or too low about the first pre-season game. BB will fix a lot of problems fast and the majority of the guys regardless of how long they've been around get opening night jitters.

Whoever thought Gregory wasn't the answer at Free Safety you were wrong, the guy was in position almost every time. 

The corners looked good, all that hand wringing for nothing. The only time they got beat was when there was a breakdown in the pass rush in front of them. McCourty especially was solid in coverage and made all the tackles. Ras stayed healthy and was solid in coverage.

The linebackers got caught out of position a few times but Mayo was as solid as always, Hightower had some hard hits, Nink had pressure and Jones was a revelation. Bequette had a sack and both he and Scott had quite a few solo tackles.  OLB is going to be a strength for the first time in a long time.

The D line was solid even though we started in the 2/4/5 for the first few plays, when we made the switch to the 3/4 the D stiffened.  Gerrard Warren didn't and probably won't play most of the preseason but expect him on day one and expect the pocket to collapse much quicker at that point.

Offensively they had pretty poor execution overall but there were bright spots. 

The I-Formation and run heavy game plan (27 carries) was a sight for sore eyes and the way Josh mixed in the 5 wide/empty backfield reminded me of old times. Smashmouth, yeah I'd say repeated I Formation is just that...

Ridley continues to average 5 yards a carry, that's a Pro Bowl average people, if he stays healthy and holds onto the ball he is a load.  Vereen showed the same incredible burst and shiftiness he flashed in college and Bolden runs hard, he should get better with more carries and experience.  He'll get a lot of reps before the pre-season is out.

There was good and bad but that's what pre-season is for. Please lets not be our typical knee jerk reactionary selves and start writing off so and so.  It's way too early for that.  Nobody played themselves out of the league tonight.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Has to be the outstanding play of the D in general and the very promising look of our two 1st round picks in particular. As most here can attest, I have been very concerned about the D for a long time. Hopefully this superb performance is a sign that the problem is fixed or at least much improved and we won't have to cringe when the enemy gets the ball with 2 minutes left in a close one.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

Excellent summary post wozzy ... Thanks

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

What Bedard said....

Overheard from the Saints' locker room from the offensive line after the game: "Those guys are better than the Cardinals (Saints' Hall of Fame Game opponent and a pretty good defense)."

Sections
Shortcuts