Favorite Tight Ends in Patriot History

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

Favorite Tight Ends in Patriot History

On a lighter note, I browsed through that.  It pretty much ignored anyone pre 1970.  Jim Whelan was pretty good.  That whole era was mostly run based NFL.  The AFL threw the ball but still no where near as much as today.  Russ Francis was probably the best we had.  Coates was great but again in the newer era.  He took so many hits that he just wore out.  These two kids now are solid.  Stuff like this makes you think back how much the game has changed.  When Francis played, I remember one year when we had 4 running backs that had a minimum of 500 yards rushing.  I think it was Calhoon, Cunningham, Andy Johnson and Ike Forte.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

Re: Favorite Tight Ends in Patriot History

In Response to Favorite Tight Ends in Patriot History:
    [QUOTE]On a lighter note, I browsed through that.  It pretty much ignored anyone pre 1970.  Jim Whelan was pretty good.  That whole era was mostly run based NFL.  The AFL threw the ball but still no where near as much as today.  Russ Francis was probably the best we had.  Coates was great but again in the newer era.  He took so many hits that he just wore out.  These two kids now are solid.  Stuff like this makes you think back how much the game has changed.  When Francis played, I remember one year when we had 4 running backs that had a minimum of 500 yards rushing.  I think it was Calhoon, Cunningham, Andy Johnson and Ike Forte.  
    Posted by schwank[/QUOTE]

It was probably in 1976 or 1978. Those years behind Hannah and Gray the Pats had a great running back by commitee offense. Unfortunately Grogan was a little shaky passing the ball. Francis was a terrific tight end who retired and then came back a few years later with the 49ers to win a super bowl. He was tall, good hands and a good blocker. Not as tall as Gronkowski but probably a similar quality player. I think Coates was the best though. He was probably overused by Bledsoe but he had great hands. Played real good in the super bowl with the ravens too in 2000. Those late 70's teams had a lot of talent but were so inconsistent. They were like the Cowboys and Chargers of today. If the Grogan of 85 had been the QB in 76 (even with the hurt knee) the Pats probably beat the Raiders and go on to the super Bowl that year. Chuck Fairbanks was an old time big eight run the ball on every down style of coach. I think the Pats ran the ball 50 times or so in that playoff game. He was not going to let Grogan lose that game for him and they ended up blowing a big lead in the 4th quarter. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

I think Francis was probably the most talented, except that we 3 might be the only ones old enough on the forum to remember him LOL. Tall, could fly the seam downfield. Probably a better receiver than Coates, but Coates may have been a better blocker.

As soon as they drafted Gronkowski, I turned to my son and said "Russ Francis, Jr."

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Ben Coates

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

I guess I'm the 4th member old enough to remember Francis. Without a doubt, he was the best TE ever for the Pats, a devastating blocker who had WR skills. Gronk is a young Francis and if he continues to develop could surpass him. There was a reason Bill Walsh talked Francis out of retirement.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

you can count me in for Russ Francis. I remember when the Pats drafted him back in 1975.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

In Response to Re: Favorite Tight Ends in Patriot History:
    [QUOTE]Ben Coates
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

Ditto.

Sections
Shortcuts