Feminization of Pro Football Continues

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DeNapoli. Show DeNapoli's posts

Re: Feminization of Pro Football Continues

In Response to Re: Feminization of Pro Football Continues:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Feminization of Pro Football Continues :
    Posted by DeNapoli[/QUOTE]

The NFL isn't trying to attract a female audience with this awareness campaign.  NFL players' mothers, wives and daughters have been touched by this cancer and the players are showing their support.

Look at Phil Mickelson.  BOTH his wife and mother are currently battling breast cancer.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Irkillendem. Show Irkillendem's posts

I have no problem with it...my grandmother died from breast cancer.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PuntonFirstDown. Show PuntonFirstDown's posts

It not feminization as much as it is emasculation.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Guys, it's for a good cause. If the NFL was forcing the players to wear pink jerseys for a month I would understand the need to hate, but it's just gloves and shoes for one sunday. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from xavyre. Show xavyre's posts

It takes a real man to wear pink and not have masculinitiy threatened. Brady and Moss are real men. They showed they can wear the pink stuff and support the women in their lives and in their fandom.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

[QUOTE]Guys, it's for a good cause. If the NFL was forcing the players to wear pink jerseys for a month I would understand the need to hate, but it's just gloves and shoes for one sunday. 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying it's not a good cause.  All I was saying is that it's quite normal to find humor/oddity in football players wearing pink.  It's almost like watching Ali go into the ring for a boxing match with pink trousers.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Feminization of Pro Football Continues : The NFL isn't trying to attract a female audience with this awareness campaign.  NFL players' mothers, wives and daughters have been touched by this cancer and the players are showing their support. Look at Phil Mickelson.  BOTH his wife and mother are currently battling breast cancer.

Hogwash!  It is a good cause, but there are a hundred other equally good causes too.  I'm fairly certain that the players and other NFL personnel have been touched by all kinds of bad diseases and cancers.  Again, I don't have any problem at all with them doing this.  Do I find humor in an NFL player wearing pink?  Absolutely.  Does it make me upset?  Not in the least.  Of the numerous great causes out there to support, I suppose the NFL never even considered that choosing breast cancer might enhance its appeal with females?  There is nothing wrong with that either.  Most companies that support causes leverage their efforts in various marketing/image campaigns.  Read one magazine or watch TV for an hour and you will see at least one or two ads where a company is trumpeting their support for good causes; be it the environment, cancer, and so on.  Why do you think they spend the money to announce their good work?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

[QUOTE]It takes a real man to wear pink and not have masculinitiy threatened. Brady and Moss are real men. They showed they can wear the pink stuff and support the women in their lives and in their fandom.
    Posted by xavyre[/QUOTE]

Spoken like a real woman lol.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wwsf4ever. Show wwsf4ever's posts

In Response to Feminization of Pro Football Continues:
    [QUOTE]     The "Polian pass rules" were just the beginning...but this is going way too far: "Tom Brady was wearing pink-and-white cleats and Moss pink gloves during practice on Thursday. They are among the players wearing colorful accessories as part of the NFL's Breast Cancer Awareness month."        Roger Goodell must go!!
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

You don't want the NFL to be aware that many a DL and OL has breasts that could become victim to this disease?

I thought this topic was going to be on the BS calls going on by the refs (Eg- Wilfork in week 1 getting a Personal fould for hitting Trent Edwards around the waist).

However I believe that ALL of the sports should take part in this particular item.... Breast Cancer awareness....  b I think every one should get invoplved until we can find a cure for that one as well as Prostate Cancer and Colon cancer- Ahh heck all the cancers need to do like the  NY jets and crash and burn.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ritchie-az. Show Ritchie-az's posts

"there are a hundred other equally good causes too."

Pancreatic cancer is the most deadly, followed by gastric cancer.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MudCityManglers. Show MudCityManglers's posts

I have this to say about it, my dad died on Christmas 7 years ago from Bone and Lung cancer. My mom 7 months after that Had a total Mastectomy and after 6 years is cancer free. I found out 3 weeks ago I have cancer of the thryoid. As serious as this is and as difficult as it gets I appreciate that the NFL would like to promote cancer awareness, but if it's serious about it, then like someone else suggested donate the profits of one week to ALL the cancer research. I am not bitter, but all the money that goes into cancer research and we are still using radio active material  that more oftern hutrs the patient than cures them. I just want to enjoy the time left and watch some football, I dont care who wheres what color as long as the Pat's win at the end of the day!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

"It's almost like watching Ali go into the ring for a boxing match with pink trousers."

Former champ Pinklon Thomas wore pink trunks. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

This is such not a big deal. It is to raise awareness. They do this in other sports.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stay-Pro. Show Stay-Pro's posts

Hmmm...

no pink allowed near MY football team!

no female owners
    no female coaches
    no female trainers
    no female scouts
    no female play-by-play
    no female commentary
    no male cheerleaders - ever
    and
    all advertising clearly aimed at men

You are so right.
    Clearly, anyone who is forced to think about anything other than muscles, sweat or their own jock must be a wuss.

Pink gloves or shoes are the thing that is going to de-manify the league. What are you worried about? An original thought?

What a joke some of you are.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

[QUOTE]Hmmm... no pink allowed near MY football team! no female owners no female coaches no female trainers no female scouts no female play-by-play no female commentary no male cheerleaders - ever and all advertising clearly aimed at men You are so right. Clearly, anyone who is forced to think about anything other than muscles, sweat or their own jock must be a wuss. Pink gloves or shoes are the thing that is going to de-manify the league. What are you worried about? An original thought? What a joke some of you are.
    Posted by Stay-Pro[/QUOTE]

The joke is how you can take the fact that some see humor in watching football players wear pink and somehow blow that up to meaning all that you wrote.  I guess if I ever swat a fly in your presence you'll accuse me of being capable of beating and killing dogs...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In Response to Feminization of Pro Football Continues:
    [QUOTE]     The "Polian pass rules" were just the beginning...but this is going way too far: "Tom Brady was wearing pink-and-white cleats and Moss pink gloves during practice on Thursday. They are among the players wearing colorful accessories as part of the NFL's Breast Cancer Awareness month."        Roger Goodell must go!!
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Feminization? I won't go that far. But I will state that teh BFl, as well as the other BIG professional sports has become so PC as to be nothing more than the PSA agent for the cause celeb of the day, whatever that is. You can check under every rock in NYC, or gopher hole in Miami and you won't find a single "fan" who isn't aware of cancer in any form. My gripe is that these sports buckle to "pressure" by advocating this foolishness. 

Watching sports, either live or via TV is a "fixed" enterprise: only those viewing it knows what's happening. Instead of sports, let the misc cancer groups get their message out via other channels, like public places found in everyday life. Bus stops, train/subway/trolly stations, billboard signs, bus and/or cab signage, etc, where you'd have to be Stevie Wonder NOT to see them. More of the message gets out to more people. 

Personally, I don't think this Kra p is all about "awareness". It's all about the "$$$'s". I'm turned off by it all. I hate this "In your face" nonsense. The PSA's get on TV because networks bow down to donate air time. After all, who wants to be known as the TV exec who said "NO!" to getting out the word on cancer? Do you think any cancer society is paying for all those pink ribbons we purchase via "donations"? I seriously doubt it. Even my go-to airline has planes adorned with the pink ribbons. For who to see? God? I'm pretty sure he's already aware of the problem, but that's another topic. OK, make me "aware" of it. Now, what do you have? A guy who's "aware" of cancer. What's that do? Without the $$$'s, NOTHING. If I can ignore Yankmee, Dolphin, and Jests! fans, I can ignore this too. And this is from a guy. Do you honestly think that there are any women out there that haven't heard of this issue? Again, please refer to my Stevie Wonder reference. It is just about to the point of insulting my intelligence.

Before any of you bleeding hearts have a hissy fit and make lame attempts to excoriate me (Jests! fans, I'll explain later), I've had loved ones (both sexes) die from cancer. I doubt if you'll find anyone who hasn't had this happen to their family or close circle of friends. Like Tex said, it DOES NOT belong in professional sports.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Feminization of Pro Football Continues : The NFL isn't trying to attract a female audience with this awareness campaign.  NFL players' mothers, wives and daughters have been touched by this cancer and the players are showing their support. Look at Phil Mickelson.  BOTH his wife and mother are currently battling breast cancer.

So when is Phil going to play with a pink putter and pink Titelist balls? Clue time: He's not the first, and he's not the last to have this situation to deal with.

I found that this battle (cancer) is personal. I could only hear so mnay "Sorry to hear about...."  or  "I hope things work out OK", or teh even better "Let me know if there's anything I can do for you...." stuff. Believe me, it really doesn't help. I knew who was sincere and who was just trying to make themselves feel better, not me of the sufferer (I refuse to use the word "victim", as if they did something to cause them to come down with cancer.)

Here's something to ponder: Around Mother's Day, which is THE breast cancer awareness day of 'em all, Christina APplegate (the Bundy girl) was all over the warm and fuzzy talk show circuit. On every stop the story ws told how her mother suffered and died, and how she had a scare and then elected to have both her breasts removed. EXtreme? Draconian? Did I really need to be made "aware" of this? What's her message? Awareness is whatever YOU find it to be.

Stop smoking? OK, but I had a cousin die of lung cancer at 46; never smoked a day in his life. Stay away from red meat? Well, one of my uncles lived to 97, and ate red meat every day he could. (Loved a steak with his spaghetti and sausage.)  Point is you cab NEVER determine who is or isn't going to get cancer. Even via preventative measures, there's no guarantee. God knows there's no cure. If there was, we'd have it by now. That's why we hear about survivors and reoccurance.

Cancer awareness in professional sports is unwarranted, period.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlemaslow. Show seattlemaslow's posts

For those who wish to protest, you have extreme power: you can not watch tomorrow or whatever day TFB wears his new pink accessories. That'll show 'em!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlemaslow. Show seattlemaslow's posts

In case anyone is actually wondering, here's what the NFL has to say:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d812e36ef&template=with-video&confirm=true

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]In case anyone is actually wondering, here's what the NFL has to say: http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d812e36ef&template=with-video&confirm=true
    Posted by seattlemaslow[/QUOTE]

And, your point is???????

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from willrunz. Show willrunz's posts

I am certain that this is the stupidest conversation I have ever read on this board.

Think about it this way:  Breast Cancer is both treatable AND preventable.  However, the only way to treat and prevent it are if people are aware of it.

Plenty of women enjoy watching football.  Maybe some of them are cancer survivors and this show of awareness and support helps their recovery by lifting their spirit.  Maybe someone goes and has a lump checked out and finds something before it metastasizes.  Maybe a family has a discussion during the game about what the shoe color is about.  How is any of this a bad thing?  

While as hypothetical as these results are, they are positive, as intended.  It is not intended to ruin your game experience.  If the result of watching Brady make a touchdown pass in pink shoes for one game makes you uncomfortable, maybe you need to take a look at your priorities and beliefs.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlemaslow. Show seattlemaslow's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Feminization of Pro Football Continues : And, your point is???????
    Posted by AZPAT[/QUOTE]

My point was I bet that most of the dissenters are objecting without even knowing what they're objecting to. This is part of a campaign "A Crucial Catch" to encourage women to get a screening.

I agree with willrunz. If this rocks your world, then your world may need some examination.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Feminization of Pro Football Continues : My point was I bet that most of the dissenters are objecting without even knowing what they're objecting to. This is part of a campaign "A Crucial Catch" to encourage women to get a screening. I agree with willrunz. If this rocks your world, then your world may need some examination.
    Posted by seattlemaslow[/QUOTE]

Yada yada yada......
    If you are a female and NEED to be told/advised/counselled, reminded, or whatever other "nudge" word you want to use, then I profess that you're beyond hope. I don't see the need to constantly remind reasonable people that they need cancer screening, and I know that the NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL ain't the ones to do this reminding, or making us aware.  They are only being PC in this stuff. Nothing more, nothing less. So, go ahead and swallow the propaganda bait.

LIke I said before, if you don't agree in lock step, you're a "dissenter".

LMFAO because I can think and reason all on my own without the NFL, or Big Brother govt telling me to do so.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DeNapoli. Show DeNapoli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Feminization of Pro Football Continues : Hogwash!  It is a good cause, but there are a hundred other equally good causes too.  I'm fairly certain that the players and other NFL personnel have been touched by all kinds of bad diseases and cancers.  Again, I don't have any problem at all with them doing this.  Do I find humor in an NFL player wearing pink?  Absolutely.  Does it make me upset?  Not in the least.  Of the numerous great causes out there to support, I suppose the NFL never even considered that choosing breast cancer might enhance its appeal with females?  There is nothing wrong with that either.  Most companies that support causes leverage their efforts in various marketing/image campaigns.  Read one magazine or watch TV for an hour and you will see at least one or two ads where a company is trumpeting their support for good causes; be it the environment, cancer, and so on.  Why do you think they spend the money to announce their good work?
    Posted by carawaydj[/QUOTE]

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/9130/nfl-goes-pink-for-breast-cancer-awareness

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]I am certain that this is the stupidest conversation I have ever read on this board. Think about it this way:  Breast Cancer is both treatable AND preventable.  However, the only way to treat and prevent it are if people are aware of it. Plenty of women enjoy watching football.  Maybe some of them are cancer survivors and this show of awareness and support helps their recovery by lifting their spirit.  Maybe someone goes and has a lump checked out and finds something before it metastasizes.  Maybe a family has a discussion during the game about what the shoe color is about.  How is any of this a bad thing?   While as hypothetical as these results are, they are positive, as intended.  It is not intended to ruin your game experience.  If the result of watching Brady make a touchdown pass in pink shoes for one game makes you uncomfortable, maybe you need to take a look at your priorities and beliefs.
    Posted by willrunz[/QUOTE]

"Show of awareness and support". What a load! Anyone who needs to told, er, "made aware" of the need to take care of themselves needs more than support. How about an intelligence test? Cancer screening is even done in FREE clinics, at NO CHARGE, so you can take the "affordability" card off the table. When does making someone "aware" constitute ruining my enjoyment of watching a game? Or, are you telling me that this is the only venue that the cancer folks can reach out through?

NFL game day is not the time nor place for this, any more so than a soap opera is the location for information pertaining to men's prostrate cancer, or the problems associated with jock itch.

Sections
Shortcuts