Few Could Do So Little, With So Much Talent.

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheTinMan. Show TheTinMan's posts

Re: Few Could Do So Little, With So Much Talent.

No problem--my response was a bit too touchy as well, no doubt.

It's just hard to see them playing so that the offense has to put up such big numbers.  One thing that might help the offense is to put the petal to the metal and just keep it there, even if it looks like you are running up the score (if they can manage that).  They keep getting a two score lead, and then the offense seems to slow down, and instead of playing to score and win, they play not to lose.  The D gives up the points, and then the offense can't get it back in gear.  When you have a ferrari, you don't expect it to do well and really perform when you are keeping it in first gear.

And what does the defense have to lose by playing more aggressively?  Blitzing and hitting people at the line?  The only thing this "prevent" D actually prevents is the opponents having to use any clock time to score points.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:

We did win yesterday , right? 

Can we focus on positive things?

Welcome to the Boston.com message boards!! LOL.......Land of the negative.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

Talent is only part of the game today.  You can be the best talent but when the other team is allowed to grab, push, and hold you become very average.  Not saying that's what was going on yesterday but it is a fact of life in the NFL.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

These are rooks, defined as enormously talented people who are dumb as nails, and second years.  New England starts one of the youngest teams in the NFL. 

Dennard, Tavis Wilson, Hightower, Chandler Jones, Ryan Wendell and Brandon Boldin are all rooks on the field.  Ras-I and Marcus Cannon are as close to being rookies as they are to being second years.  Second years such as Nate Solder in positions usually requiring long apprenticeships are also an issue.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Pats-bilbo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I Believe in BB and I love his coaching style, but he has now built a very insular coaching staff that is like the old royalty families.... too much inbreeding. We use to come out of half time with a new improved game plan and make other teams weaknesses our strengths. Now we play the same throughout the game, try not to lose....

AGREED

BB needs to instill passion and emotion back on this team. Football is an emotional game. We need the fire. We see flashes of this but when everything is trying to be controlled, you can't allow the emotional piece. BB needs to cultivate the emotion and let loose some of the control. Let players show emotions in interviews, let them play instinctually a bit and make a play, let them use their god given talent instead of applying a technique.

Good Skill + Good Coaching + Good Planning + Good Play Calling + Passion = success

Coaches and players need to stop playing to "not lose" and instead, play to kill the opponent. We are missing that passion and that fire on both sides of the ball. You have to allow people a little freedom to show they are champions. Every team has good coaches and good skills, they need passion and desire to push them over the top. Right now we are missing the passion and the fire. Coaches need to push back on Bill and take a few risks to win the game. Bill can't do it all because even if he is the best he is still only one person and eventually he becomes the gate that stops growth.

We have a system that provides wins every year and works well, we need to push it to provide excellence and championships. We need that edge back.

AGREED. 

NICE POINTS

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to darwk's comment:

You said so much with this thread's title.  Summed up the current idenity of this team well.  Yes, the Pats won yesterday. Barely- and once again let the opposition come roaring back in the 4th quarter. I know the debate will rage on- on who is literally dropping the ball. Offense/defense/ secondary/ oline/ pass rush/ and on and on.

Glad you added the coaching here. I have to say... there have been so may head scratchers on play calls this year- it's perplexing.  Forget the team finding their chemistry what on gawd's green earth is going on with coaching this season?

THANKS FOR CALLING IT OUT DARWK. THAT WOUDL BE A GOOD THREAD I ENCOURAGE YOU TO START, "Forget the team finding their chemistry what on gawd's green earth is going on with coaching this season?"

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The only issue with this team IMHO is a cpnsistent pass rush. Early in the game there was no pass rush and Jets moved the ball. Later in game when they had a pass rush they did not do as well. Pass rush always makes DB look good.

Question Did Ninkovich play in the first 3 periods? Man in the 4th and OT he looked like he got a dhot of adrennalin and played like a man possesed!!!!

NICE POINT.

YES WE DO STILL NEED THE CONISTENT PASS RUSH. BUT EVEN WITH THAT YOU CANT COUNT ON GOING FAR IN THE PLAYOFFS WITH DBS WHO ARE PERFORMING THIS BAD.

Teams have thrown 64 passes 16 or more yards downfield against the Patriots, the most against any team in the NFL. And they’ve been successful 45 percent of the time. 

MCCOURTY AND ARRINGTON NEED TO NOT BE STARTING CBS

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:

In response to Iceman4's comment:

We did win yesterday , right? 

Can we focus on positive things?

Welcome to the Boston.com message boards!! LOL.......Land of the negative.

WOW. JUST WOW. HAVE EYES?

IF SOMEONE WAS MARRIED TO AN ALCOHOLIC, WOULD SUGGEST THEY IGNORE IT UNTIL SOMEONE LOSES THIER LIFE. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think someone made a point that Belichick has surrounded himself with no name yes men. Couldn't agree more. I wayched a football life last year and there was a meeting that showed him at the end of a table with 10 coaches...not one of them supplied one single coherant thought. I was stunned. They all looked scared of him - I can't see how this helps things. Who is going to stand up and tell him that we shouldn't draft Dowling at the top of the second round or Wilson 5 rounds earlier than he needs to go? Apparently no one.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:

These are rooks, defined as enormously talented people who are dumb as nails, and second years.  New England starts one of the youngest teams in the NFL. 

Dennard, Tavis Wilson, Hightower, Chandler Jones, Ryan Wendell and Brandon Boldin are all rooks on the field.  Ras-I and Marcus Cannon are as close to being rookies as they are to being second years.  Second years such as Nate Solder in positions usually requiring long apprenticeships are also an issue.

YEAH BUT A BIGGER PROBLEM RE TEH DBS SEEMS TO BE THE COACHING

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I think someone made a point that Belichick has surrounded himself with no name yes men. Couldn't agree more. I wayched a football life last year and there was a meeting that showed him at the end of a table with 10 coaches...not one of them supplied one single coherant thought. I was stunned. They all looked scared of him - I can't see how this helps things. Who is going to stand up and tell him that we shouldn't draft Dowling at the top of the second round or Wilson 5 rounds earlier than he needs to go? Apparently no one.

IVE BEEN SAYING THIS SINCE I CAME ON THE BOARD AND EVER SINCE.

THANKS FOR RAISING IT HERE

Sections
Shortcuts