filling the needs BEFORE the draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

filling the needs BEFORE the draft

Pats had 3 "major" needs:

1) DT

2) WR

3) DE

So far they signed Kelley and are trying to get Sanders.  Next finalize Abraham.

At that point, all "major" needs are solved, and Pats can weave their normal magic and either draft the BPA, or trade picks to their hearts content.  Go Pats, I love this strategy.  Fill the needs and stay extremely flexible.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: filling the needs BEFORE the draft

I don't know about that, the Pats still need a cover LB and Safety depth....still hoping Gregory gets axed. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I sill got my fingers crossed Abraham.  I thought he would of signed with someone by now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

CB is still a need too, IMO

Havent seen one draft yet where BB didnt draft one. He is always looking for the next replacememt for one of his busts...the latest  is Ras I

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Think Abraham is still looking for bigger money than anyone is offering - he and Freeney have big eyes! If/when he comes down on the money I think signing with the Pats is quite possible.

Also think the Sanders situation plays a big part in this. If the Steelers match (and I think they may) then that frees up 2+M I would assume. If they don't then the Pats have more cap to play with. After the Kelly deal and the possible Sanders deal I think they are getting pretty close to where they are comfortable re the Cap and the rest of the off season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

DB, WR, OL, ST, Lb's...all are depth signings.  All of the primary players are on the roster.  Sanders and Abraham would pretty well lock in the needs.  Can always improve, but cap pretty much makes it impossible to have an All star at each position.  Pats will be much better than most.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

In response to fl+adam,'s comment:

1) DT

2) WR

3) DE

So far they signed Kelley and are trying to get Sanders.  Next finalize Abraham.

At that point, all "major" needs are solved, and Pats can weave their normal magic and either draft the BPA, or trade picks to their hearts content.  Go Pats, I love this strategy.  Fill the needs and stay extremely flexible.

Totally correct.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

CB depth as you only have 3 reliable CB's in a league where you need 3 starting caliber CBs. 1 of which hasn't lasted a full season yet and is on a 1 year deal, 1 essentially only is good in the star, and 1 who's only been in the league 1 year and might or might not miss playing time. They need a stable 4th CB that can play inside or out with starting capability

WR depth, 3 of the players in the current core have missed over 50 games combined in 2 years. Odds are one or more are going to miss significant time. With the Pats based around the passing game even if they add Sanders they need another reliable WR that can play week in and week out incase Edelman, Amendola, or Jones misses significant time (which is likely 1-2 will and the 3rd could have minor injures)

DT looking at Kelleys contract they have built in easy outs incase he doesn't make it through the season or even camp. This need was lessoned by the signing of Kelley but it's obvious they have some concern over if he'll be on the roster given how the contract is structured (minor guaranteed with 1/4 this year based on just being on the team week in and week out)

DE/OLB either they need another outside rusher or a coverage LB which could move Hightower to that outside rusher role on passing downs. They could have that on the team or not but they need a way to manufacture more pressure

OL always needed in camp

But other then that yep I say the needs are met. Now not every team fills every need but these are ones they can fill in the draft. Of course that means they would need to hit on everyone which most likely won't happen but they put themselves in a good position provided they get Sanders and Kelley does what he does and the WR core health of course

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

To be honest, I've never felt that all of the final 53 man roster would be filled by the early FA period and the draft.  There always seems to be some pretty fair talent around the league that ends up being a camp or salary cap casualty along the way.  I don't think we'll see everyone that will be on the roster until late in the pre-season.  Just my take on it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Still need some DE/OLB, DBs. I'd also increase the depth of the OL too - someone who excels in run blocking.  Place those needs way ahead of the WR position.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to fl+adam,'s comment:

1) DT

2) WR

3) DE

ihave cb above dt, though

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

CB depth as you only have 3 reliable CB's in a league where you need 3 starting caliber CBs. 1 of which hasn't lasted a full season yet and is on a 1 year deal, 1 essentially only is good in the star, and 1 who's only been in the league 1 year and might or might not miss playing time. They need a stable 4th CB that can play inside or out with starting capability

WR depth, 3 of the players in the current core have missed over 50 games combined in 2 years. Odds are one or more are going to miss significant time. With the Pats based around the passing game even if they add Sanders they need another reliable WR that can play week in and week out incase Edelman, Amendola, or Jones misses significant time (which is likely 1-2 will and the 3rd could have minor injures)

DT looking at Kelleys contract they have built in easy outs incase he doesn't make it through the season or even camp. This need was lessoned by the signing of Kelley but it's obvious they have some concern over if he'll be on the roster given how the contract is structured (minor guaranteed with 1/4 this year based on just being on the team week in and week out)

DE/OLB either they need another outside rusher or a coverage LB which could move Hightower to that outside rusher role on passing downs. They could have that on the team or not but they need a way to manufacture more pressure

OL always needed in camp

But other then that yep I say the needs are met. Now not every team fills every need but these are ones they can fill in the draft. Of course that means they would need to hit on everyone which most likely won't happen but they put themselves in a good position provided they get Sanders and Kelley does what he does and the WR core health of course

been posting same opinon  (less strongly dt). good synopsis