Final grade for the NFL 2012 draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

Final grade for the NFL 2012 draft

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1472171-final-2012-nfl-draft-report-card-grades-for-every-team

Despite hitting with Chandler Jones, Hightower, Dennard, Francis. the Pats got a "B".

No surprise: the article gave an A to SEA and WAS.

But A for PHI as well, where Reid was shown the door.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Re: Final grade for the NFL 2012 draft

the link goes to a different article?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

the link goes to a different article?

Sorry, corrected.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

Chandler Jones is a candidate for defensive ROY, Hightower has been a versatile playmaker the past several weeks, and Dennard was very solid when he was healthy. Nate Ebner has been a special team ace (but that can be overlooked in draft grades). Even Wilson has made some good plays here and there.

I think we deserve a B+.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

In response to ricky12684's comment:

tavon wilson has 41 tackles 4 interceptions 2 fumbles recovered and 6 passes defenced. that's  a very solid year for a non starting rookie. 

I thought Tavon was somewhat inconsistent at times this year, but he is a promising pick nonetheless. I mean, if Reuben Randle helps the Giants score a B- , then we deserve more than a B.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to ricky12684's comment:

tavon wilson has 41 tackles 4 interceptions 2 fumbles recovered and 6 passes defenced. that's  a very solid year for a non starting rookie. 

ricky, you know the second round last year. bb did flub the dominant draft he could have had.

dennard was  a agreat gamble.

hightower needs to improve to be worthy of his 1st round pick.

give it a couple more years to give the final grade.

for now, it coulda been an A+

but for now its a B to B+

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

I look at many of these "draft experts" amd laugh.  They grade a team by how the player performs.  I would prefer to grade a player as to how they fit into the team they are on.  Jones, Hightower, Wilson, Ebert, etc are all solid "Patriots".  They fit the system.  They are not flashy and draw attention.  Are there better players taken in the draft?  Yes.  Are they sitting at home now while the Patriots are still playing?  Most are.  A draft grade does not mean a lot unless a team is able to win on sunday.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

How can you have "final" grades after just one season?  I think you need to give it at least 4 or 5 years to see how these players' careers evolve.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

3 new starters and upgrades over last year on defense. I'll take it. Plus Wilson for being a reach showed that he can make plays. Do like Ebert on special teams. Overall the Pats got the shot in the arm they needed in their defense.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I'm still not sold on Wilson. Most of his ints came as a result of the QB being rushed (over throwing) or a battered ball in the air. Very similar to Arrington last year, sometimes you just get lucky and the ball falls into your lap. What I'm more concerned about is his end of year performance. He's shown flashes of talent but he's also shown flashes of why people thought he was a reach. He could fall either way after this year (ala Butler). Hopefully it's toward a starting caliber S but he's made the same mistakes repeatedly (ala bad angles and falling for double moves). 

With that said even if Wilson doesn't become anything more than a sub close to the line S this was a very solid draft. Hightower and Jones alone make it a B draft but add in Dennard late and it boasts it up to B+/A- level. Ebner was also a very solid choice and if Wilson develops into a starter and corrects some of those mistakes than this will easily be an A level. I mean really 4 starters on D and a ST ace, how many teams could have a draft like that nad be a SB contender?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

Disclaimer : Hindsight = 20/20

Moving up for C Jones appears to have been a wise move but I'm not sure the Hightower grab will pay the same dividends (still waiting for him to make a significant impact play )

Especially when a playmaking Lb like Seattles Bobby Wagner was still on the board in 2nd round - #47 overall  ( Pete Carrol picked the Jets ' pockets by moving back and also getting an extra 5th / 7th - when Jets moved up 4 spots for Stephen Hill )

At #48 overall - we then belatedly select Tavon Wilson .

( supposedly after a trade partner couldn't be found....I wonder if B. Wagner was on Pats' radar and then after Sea took him off the board  - we tried to bail ... doubtful considering our Db needs at the time )

Speaking of which  - safety Harrison Smith didnt go until late 1st round  -pick # 29 .

Tavon Wilson shows promise ...but I'm sure most would rather have made a move to aquire H. Smith .

20/20 Hindsight

Considering the Pats first three picks were DE /LB /Safety

With a lil more wranglin' -the Pats conceivably could have come away with a more potent trio :

Chandler Jones

Harrison Smith

Bobby Wagner

The draft is one big Buterrfly Effect -

If the Pats do the above - maybe BB then doesn't get db's Dennard  / Ebner ...but maybe a corner like Jayron Hosley comes into play ( #93 to NYG's ) .... doubtful as the unimpressive (so far ) DE Jake Bequette was tapped 4 picks ahead of the Giants impressive rookie .

I love going back to past drafts and picking 'em apart .

IMO - right now this draft looks like one of BB's best .

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Not sure how anyone can evaluate a draft this soon.  I'll take seriously 'grades' that are assigned after 2 or 3 seasons but certainly no sooner than that.  My opinion.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

I think it's fair to evaluate players thru 16 games ...

though assigning grades to as entire draft seems a bit premature .

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to CaptnFoxboro's comment:

Disclaimer : Hindsight = 20/20

Moving up for C Jones appears to have been a wise move but I'm not sure the Hightower grab will pay the same dividends (still waiting for him to make a significant impact play )

Especially when a playmaking Lb like Seattles Bobby Wagner was still on the board in 2nd round - #47 overall  ( Pete Carrol picked the Jets ' pockets by moving back and also getting an extra 5th / 7th - when Jets moved up 4 spots for Stephen Hill )

At #48 overall - we then belatedly select Tavon Wilson .

( supposedly after a trade partner couldn't be found....I wonder if B. Wagner was on Pats' radar and then after Sea took him off the board  - we tried to bail ... doubtful considering our Db needs at the time )

Speaking of which  - safety Harrison Smith didnt go until late 1st round  -pick # 29 .

Tavon Wilson shows promise ...but I'm sure most would rather have made a move to aquire H. Smith .

20/20 Hindsight

Considering the Pats first three picks were DE /LB /Safety

With a lil more wranglin' -the Pats conceivably could have come away with a more potent trio :

Chandler Jones

Harrison Smith

Bobby Wagner

The draft is one big Buterrfly Effect -

If the Pats do the above - maybe BB then doesn't get db's Dennard  / Ebner ...but maybe a corner like Jayron Hosley comes into play ( #93 to NYG's ) .... doubtful as the unimpressive (so far ) DE Jake Bequette was tapped 4 picks ahead of the Giants impressive rookie .

I love going back to past drafts and picking 'em apart .

IMO - right now this draft looks like one of BB's best .

yes captn, in hindsigth that woul dhave been killer!

and agree hightower has soem work to do to make that move up in rd 1 to look good.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

I'm still not sold on Wilson. Most of his ints came as a result of the QB being rushed (over throwing) or a battered ball in the air. Very similar to Arrington last year, sometimes you just get lucky and the ball falls into your lap. What I'm more concerned about is his end of year performance. He's shown flashes of talent but he's also shown flashes of why people thought he was a reach. He could fall either way after this year (ala Butler). Hopefully it's toward a starting caliber S but he's made the same mistakes repeatedly (ala bad angles and falling for double moves). 

With that said even if Wilson doesn't become anything more than a sub close to the line S this was a very solid draft. Hightower and Jones alone make it a B draft but add in Dennard late and it boasts it up to B+/A- level. Ebner was also a very solid choice and if Wilson develops into a starter and corrects some of those mistakes than this will easily be an A level. I mean really 4 starters on D and a ST ace, how many teams could have a draft like that nad be a SB contender?

"I'm still not sold on Wilson"

ditto.

a lot of improvement to be worth a 2nd nevermind what we bypassed in teh draft at that point

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

A "B" is above average. Seems fair enough. But if Jones didn't get hurt that might have jacked the score up a bit.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think it's obvious that we got a player in Jones - witha little luck he should become a steady double digit sack guy. I'm not sold on Hightower yet, but he's a rookie that I think should only get better. Didn't like the Wilson pick and I still don't, to me he doesn't look big enough to be a guy that will cover tight ends or play in the box.

I'd give the draft a B...with the chance to be an A if Jones turns into the monster he looks like he can be, and if Hightower becomes solid.

Sections
Shortcuts