Final Offensive Stats

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Final Offensive Stats

Make of them what you will.  Teams are listed in order of offensive points scored.  I calculate this by taking the number of offensive TDs scored and multiplying by seven then adding in the number of field goals made multiplied by three.  This approach is designed to treat all extra point attempts as equal, since I don't think of that as a true test of the offense (and the stats don't specify which extra points were scored with offensive or defensive TDs anyway).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fanonymost. Show fanonymost's posts

Re: Final Offensive Stats

thanks for compiling this

a few perhaps surprising take-aways from this data : 

1) Gostkowski accounts for more than 35% of the Patriots' scoring

2) Brady was sacked twice as often as PManning

3) key to beating Pats - stop the run (who'd a thunk it)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

Out of curiosity is 38 field goals a record for a pats kicker. I knew he kicked a lot of them this year but I did not realize how many. I guess no Gronk does this to you.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to ccnsd's comment:

Out of curiosity is 38 field goals a record for a pats kicker. I knew he kicked a lot of them this year but I did not realize how many. I guess no Gronk does this to you.

Not sure if it's a Pats record or not, but it's a lot.  Compared with the other top offenses, the Pats' offense got more field goals and fewer TDs. Missing Gronk (and, in recent weeks, Dobson and Thompkins) definitely hurts the team's ability to get in the endzone.  I think redzone effectiveness has to be a concern for the coaches going into the playoffs--we'll see how they address it and whether they can find some way to shift the balance a bit away from FGs and more toward TDs. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

One answer: go for a td outside the red zone.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

According to Pro Football Reference it is a team record, passing his own mark of 36 from 2008.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nwe/single-season-kicking.htm

Thanks for the stats prolate!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to teegee's comment:

Laughing

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

According to Pro Football Reference it is a team record, passing his own mark of 36 from 2008.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nwe/single-season-kicking.htm

Thanks for the stats prolate!

Thanks for looking up the record!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

It will be interesting to see what kind of offensive game plans they use in the playoffs, but I don't think you can just say one thing works or doesn't work. There are a lot of factors that come into play, and Belichick is a master of changing up his game plans (sometimes dramatically) to adjust to the way he thinks his team's strengths and weaknesses match up against the other team's strengths and weaknesses.  He may run heavy in one game and go pass happy in another. 

Of course, during the game, situations take over, so regardless of what the game plan is, the actual plays used will depend to a large degree on the circumstances that arise within the game.  We can go into a game planning to run a lot, but end up passing a lot if we get behind or the run doesn't work.  And we can go into a game thinking we'll pass a lot, but if the run works well, we'll stick with it. And, of course, how the defense is fairing makes a difference too. If the defense is giving up lots of big plays and lots of quick points, BB/JMcD may be forced into more passing to catch up.  And if the defense is playing well, look for more running, especially if we have a multi-score lead.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

I'm not sure if you were joking, but it's not as crazy as some might find it to be.

Where the Pats seem to really bog down is inside the 10.  From the 10-20 (still in the RZ) there is still plenty of room to operate.  From outside the 20 even more plays can work.

With Gronk out I think we'll see more attempts to get it in the EZ, or get it close from outside the RZ.  Then, they can try to focus more on the run from inside the 5.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

More on the Pats in the RZ:

Edelman led the Pats with 6 TD receptions.

Wes Welker was 4th on the Broncos with 10.   Welker had more TDs (10 in only 13 games) than in any season with the Pats.  He is certainly the beneficiary of the many other RZ targets (Thomas, Jones, Decker) that the Broncos have on their roster.  The Broncos also run many variations of picks around the goal that curiously never get flagged.

Anyway, I'm not trying to stir the Welker debate.  Going forward, with the success the Pats have had running in recent weeks opposing defenses will have to respect the run option in the RZ.  That should open things up for the likes of the Disappearing Amendola Act.   I have been watching DA a lot lately, and no doubt he's hurt, but he has got to find a way to get open.

I think the real weapon will be Vereen.  So versatile.   I can see play action fake to Blount and a quick swing pass to Vereen being very successful.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

15 teams had a higher percentage of passes than the Pats.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

I'm not sure if you were joking, but it's not as crazy as some might find it to be.

Where the Pats seem to really bog down is inside the 10.  From the 10-20 (still in the RZ) there is still plenty of room to operate.  From outside the 20 even more plays can work.

With Gronk out I think we'll see more attempts to get it in the EZ, or get it close from outside the RZ.  Then, they can try to focus more on the run from inside the 5.

It's true.  The types of (small, quick) receivers we have are guys that operate well in space, but not in tight quarters so giving them the ball with some room to run actually works.  Unfortunately, you can't always expect to score from 40 yards out. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

15 teams had a higher percentage of passes than the Pats.

Yeah, like I've been saying for years, the Pats pass-run balance is not as skewed as so many think.  Even in 2011 we were still no where near the most pass-happy team in the league. 

One thing that's notable this year, though, is how many teams are now passing 60% of the time.  That seems up from even the past few years.  

Sections
Shortcuts