FINALLY BRANDON MERIWEATHER IS MOVED TO 2ND LINE IN PRACTICE

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Re: FINALLY BRANDON MERIWEATHER IS MOVED TO 2ND LINE IN PRACTICE

In Response to Re: FINALLY BRANDON MERIWEATHER IS MOVED TO 2ND LINE IN PRACTICE:
    [QUOTE]Apologists are like groupies, always wearing their knee pads.  Remember Maroney, the worst RB ever in the history of the NFL, he even had them on this board.
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

LOL.  Maroney

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I think Meriweather deserves the critism he gets to a certain degree.  Yes, he has had some off the field issues, but never has been in trouble or arrested since being in N.E. that I know of.  Yes he takes bad angles at times and is not disciplined, but this all started last year...He was moving up steadily before then, Im just not sure why he choses not to listen, maybe he wants more stats and is shooting his way out of town. Who knows

What I DO know is that until we get an adequate replacement people need to stop calling for him to be traded.  Say what you want but he is a lot better than the majority of safeties playing...pro bowl or not, He has elite talent and wether or not he puts it together is on  him but to call him a bum and act like he gives up TD's on every play is pretty unfair, for all we know after this preseason drama he could turn around and have a great year, so calm down and support him as long as he is here and remember when he had to play A.Hawkins at safety...things could be worse. If Brandon is the weakest link on this defense, Im sold we will be a top 5 defense....If he doesnt turn it around Sergio may play more...but until then he is our safety.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from threejak. Show threejak's posts

Conjecture, heresay, hype and and an awful lot of judgemental tripe here this morning....Like B/M or not as an an off-field entity is one thing but as a football player he's  damn good, hits like a truck and coming off an ALL-PRO year and in the final stanza of his Patriot contract...
    He has everything to play for and since it's a "contract year" I would  fully expect to see him in a very octane mode come the real season....Yes, I scoff at the silly season as nothing more than a glorified revenue grab by the owners (1B) and something that some players will tell you is a survival mode thing and more simply an exercise of  trying to stay whole.....

I'll be curious to see what the tone of discussion is like in about Wk. three...re:  B/M.....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In Response to www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a9690Discussion%3aeda82d1b-85e4-48ba-b8cc-5b02dea71e14&plckFindPostKey=Cat:SportsForum:9690Discussion:eda82d1b-85e4-48ba-b8cc-5b02dea71e14Post:213f11f8-448e-42a3-b3a9-a08e6377e8dd">Re: FINALLY BRANDON MERIWEATHER IS MOVED TO 2ND LINE IN PRACTICE:
    [QUOTE]Conjecture, heresay, hype and and an awful lot of judgemental tripe here this morning....Like B/M or not as an an off-field entity is one thing but as a football player he's  damn good, hits like a truck and coming off an ALL-PRO year and in the final stanza of his Patriot contract... He has everything to play for and since it's a "contract year" I would  fully expect to see him in a very octane mode come the real season....Yes, I scoff at the silly season as nothing more than a glorified revenue grab by the owners (1B) and something that some players will tell you is a survival mode thing and more simply an exercise of  trying to stay whole..... I'll be curious to see what the tone of discussion is like in about Wk. three...re:  B/M.....
    Posted by threejak[/QUOTE]

Is this an example of making things up to support your point?  I just checked the Sporting News and AP All Pro lists, for last year, and no mention of Mary.

You must of missed those games when he was benched or pulled from a game for making stupid mistakes or better yet when he tackled his own player to give up a TD.....F**kin classic.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I disagree that Meriweather's mistakes began last year . . . I think he's been inconsistent all his career.  He does have great physical talent--he's fast, he can hit hard, he even makes some big plays--but he also seems to have big lapses in judgment, which isn't really what you want to see in a safety.  They call the position "safety" for a reason. It's not a position where you want a guy who won't be where he should be. 

I think the coaches don't really know what to do with him.  Physically, he's the best safety they've got and he can be quite good when he keeps his wits about him.  But he seems to have big brain f*rts periodically and those just make him a liability, especially in a defense as mentally demanding as BB's.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

His career is only 4 years old. I do agree w/ your assesment about him, but really what was expected from him his rookie year? He played all preseason at CB and spent the season playing mostly special teams until he emerged as the nickel back in SB 42.  2008 was his first year as a starting safety and I though we all saw what he could do and were excited about it. (I thought he and Chung would be the best safety duo in the league when we drafted Chung)

In 09' he went the the pro bowl , deservingly so and last year he made it despite being benched for the 1st few games and Chung having better numbers all around. SO I will admit the pro bowl was more popularity based last year but he earned it in  09' and still you cant name me 6 safeties that were better than him in the AFC last year.  Reed has been bang-ed up as well as Troy P, and after that noone was really snubbed,...so I just dont see all the hate.  I think it mostly stems from his attitude and gun toting.  If we had nothing but perfect players on our defense, how come it wasnt # 1, we have many a players who make mistakes but Brandon is on stage now for some reason. I will agree there is something there and he will be gone next year, but c'mon we could do much worse than him.  Remember all the mistakes J.Sanders was making early on??  the big play he gave up in Denver when he took a horrible angle giving up a TD?  Now Sanders is supposed to be the most steady, so people do get better and I believe Brandon has up until last year...Why???   thats  the big ??

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhllyPhn1967. Show PhllyPhn1967's posts

And the D-fense keeps getting softer. Hey, did Haynseworth show up today?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: FINALLY BRANDON MERIWEATHER IS MOVED TO 2ND LINE IN PRACTICE:
    [QUOTE]And the D-fense keeps getting softer. Hey, did Haynseworth show up today?
    Posted by PhllyPhn1967[/QUOTE]

p*** off.  Go back to hiding in the sewers of your cesspool of a city

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]so I just dont see all the hate.  I think it mostly stems from his attitude and gun toting.  If we had nothing but perfect players on our defense, how come it wasnt # 1, we have many a players who make mistakes but Brandon is on stage now for some reason. Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]

I agree the hate is overblown . . . and you're right that he compares well with many other safeties in the league and that he's at least as good as a lot of the guys on our defense.

I think the problem, though, is that he's in a high-profile position and was drafted high, so the expectations are high too.  We've had talented leaders in that position--Milloy and Harrison--and we know how much we depend on the lead safety to make calls and run the defense in the backfield.  Since Harrison left, we've lacked dependable on-field leadership among the DBs.  As our longest-serving starting-quality DB, Merriweather seems to be the guy who should provide the leadership.  But he doesn't seem to have the discipline or smarts to do it.  So I think that's what people find frustrating . . . he's got a big role that demands a lot of smarts and leadership, but it's smarts and leadership that he seems to lack.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

[QUOTE]And the D-fense keeps getting softer. Hey, did Haynseworth show up today?
    Posted by PhllyPhn1967[/QUOTE]

Why don't you show up when your team does something?  As far as I can tell the Eagles are currently the all-hype team leader in the NFL.  Your team brought in Mike Vick and Vince Young and you decry the Haynesworth and Chad Johnson signings?  Typical hypocrite, pot calling the kettle black.  You are like most of the Jets fans here, they feel like they need to come here and slam the Pats because deep down they know the Pats are gonna be in the thick of things when all is said and done.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Michael02127. Show Michael02127's posts

I'm sure at this point the Pats wish they signed Jared page.  Either way I would think with Brandon not working out and in a contract year they would have love to trade him.  I would think that they aren't trading him because;

1.  They can't because lack of depth too risky

2.  Can't get value needed back, in some way this scenario is the Pats being their own worse enemy.  It's hard to try to trade Brandon for a 2nd round when your trading other teams Moss, Haynesworth, Ocho etc for super low picks...

Keeping him on the team and letting him walk next year for nothing is not the end of the world for us.  It's not like we're desperate for picks.

Sections
Shortcuts