Finally Football!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Finally Football!

Well, Giants-Bills preseason.    You take what you can get on Aug 3.

I guess we may only see starters for 1 drive, considering these teams are playing 5 exhibition games.

So, I'll tune in early to see if Sammy Watkins makes a circus catch of an errant EJ Manuel pass.

Game starts at 8EDT so anything of interest will be over by 8:45.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Re: Finally Football!

Wow.  I like Cris Collinsworth but he just called Spikes the best run-stopping LB in the game today.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well, Giants-Bills preseason.    You take what you can get on Aug 3.

I guess we may only see starters for 1 drive, considering these teams are playing 5 exhibition games.

So, I'll tune in early to see if Sammy Watkins makes a circus catch of an errant EJ Manuel pass.

Game starts at 8EDT so anything of interest will be over by 8:45.

[/QUOTE]

Agree with that concerning other teams. When the Pats play Thursday I'm watching start to finish to try to catch some of the 1st and 2nd year players. It's really tough to get a read on these guys in preseason but it's interesting trying to see if the 2nd year guys are bigger / better plus how the rookies are looking.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

Wow.  I like Cris Collinsworth but he just called Spikes the best run-stopping LB in the game today.

[/QUOTE]

he kinda is.... when it comes to just pure run stuffing, he's up there for sure. as a complete LB he isn't very good. Total liability in coverage

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

he kinda is.... when it comes to just pure run stuffing, he's up there for sure. as a complete LB he isn't very good. Total liability in coverage

[/QUOTE]

I think he is very weak with lateral movement.   I agree if he has a clean hole toward the runner he's as good as it gets, but oftentimes a LB has to dodge a lineman to pick a hole.  When Spike does that he loses his hitting power and the play is usually by him before he can find the opening.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He pretty much is. The guy is an absolute beast within that part of the game.  He knocks teeth loose.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

When you have a torn ACL you might be a liability, but in 2010, 2011 and 2012 he wasn't. His zone pick of Flacco in the 2011 title  game was a thing of beauty.

He also had an outstanding SB, too.

Why do people not take into consideration an injury that affects what a player would normally do?

Imagine Bruschi sucking wind and trying to cover people in today's game? There aren't many 3 down LBs who thrive in coverage.  There just aren't.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Is it just me or does Spikes look like he ate a buffalo? I imagined that's what was going to happen without Belichick's foot up his a$z.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]
    When you have a torn ACL you might be a liability, but in 2010, 2011 and 2012 he wasn't. His zone pick of Flacco in the 2011 title  game was a thing of beauty.

Why do people not take into consideration an injury that affects what a player would normally do?

Imagine Bruschi sucking wind and trying to cover people in today's game? There aren't many 3 down LBs who thrive in coverage.  There just aren't.

[/QUOTE]
    Yeah the pick was a thing of beauty, right place right time.

Seriously man, if you sit here and say Spikes WASNT a liability in coverage you are lying to  yourself. Compare him to Collins, Mayo, and Anderson he looks like a scrub in coverage. He was great at the LOS but struggled anywhere else.

Okay so there aren't many 3 Down LBs who can cover, that is true but that also doesn't give Spikes a pass for being bad in coverage, because he was, just facts

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Is it just me or does Spikes look like he ate a buffalo? I imagined that's what was going to happen without Belichick's foot up his a$z.

[/QUOTE]

Well Marrone has a pretty tough no-nonsense reputation himself and was recommended for the job by Parcells, Coughlin, and others (all disciplinarians).

I think the problem with Buffalo is they have no veteran "presence" to keep the kids in line.  No one with a strong, winning attitude. 

But I agree with you.   I think Spikes feels like he received a Get Out of Jail Free Card.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well Marrone has a pretty tough no-nonsense reputation himself and was recommended for the job by Parcells, Coughlin, and others (all disciplinarians).

I think the problem with Buffalo is they have no veteran "presence" to keep the kids in line.  No one with a strong, winning attitude. 

But I agree with you.   I think Spikes feels like he received a Get Out of Jail Free Card.

[/QUOTE]

I don't know if it's the uniform or what, but it looks like he gained 15 pounds...I thought he was a defensive lineman playing middle linebacker.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

I think Robert Woods is going to be a breakout player this year. He was one of the guys I liked 2 drafts ago and I thought he looked impressive last year. With Sammy Watkins playing opposite of him, it wouldn't surprise me if he gets close to 1000 yards (or over it)...if EJ Manuel can play decently.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

[QUOTE]

I don't know if it's the uniform or what, but it looks like he gained 15 pounds...I thought he was a defensive lineman playing middle linebacker.

[/QUOTE]

Buffalo:  Home of the Anchor Bar, credited with creating the Buffalo Wings.   I think Spikes has a season pass to their VIP Room.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Yeah the pick was a thing of beauty, right place right time.

Seriously man, if you sit here and say Spikes WASNT a liability in coverage you are lying to  yourself. Compare him to Collins, Mayo, and Anderson he looks like a scrub in coverage. He was great at the LOS but struggled anywhere else.

Okay so there aren't many 3 Down LBs who can cover, that is true but that also doesn't give Spikes a pass for being bad in coverage, because he was, just facts

[/QUOTE]

Certainly not a strength, but in zone he was fine when healthy.  You are not remembering correctly and taking the anti-BB bait.

Please don't insult my intelligence either.  Collins is a freakish athletic player. He and Spikes's skill sets are nowhere near the same.

Not facts at all. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]
    Certainly not a strength, but in zone he was fine when healthy.  You are not remembering correctly and taking the anti-BB bait.

Please don't insult my intelligence either.  Collins is a freakish athletic player. He and Spikes's skill sets are nowhere near the same.

Not facts at all. 

[/QUOTE]

Spikes was an average at best coverage LB in zone. In man he was horrible. Actually I didn't even like him in zone coverage though, like I think Hightowe could turn into the run stuffer (not as good as spikes, but good) and a much better coverage guy which overall is better