Finally Moss Boxed out enough to make the reception

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

Finally Moss Boxed out enough to make the reception

The first bomb by Brady, the Moss of two years ago would have 
    boxed the DB out and get the angle to make the catch.  Finally he boxed out on the catch to set up the TD.  It is the one thing he has not been doing, and I have got a lot grief for it.  Maybe he is waking up, but he has not been a top 5 receiver, no matter his stats.  He is not a possession receiver, and it has effected us.  Even the 49ers thru many short roots to Rice and Owens, who by the way was a great # 2 receiver and a 100% model citizen till Rice left, and they were able to make great runs after the catch.  Moss goes down immediately if anyone is even remotely near him.  Today I am seeing signs of some of his old greatness.  Any objective observers?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Re: Finally Moss Boxed out enough to make the reception

I like his carefullness.it keeps him from getting injured.sure there are times he could go up for a ball,but most of the time he does,he stll makes the sick catches,the great stats,has lighting speed,draws double coverage.so yes he is a top 5 receiver.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

In Response to Finally Moss Boxed out enough to make the reception:
    The first bomb by Brady, the Moss of two years ago would have  boxed the DB out and get the angle to make the catch.  Finally he boxed out on the catch to set up the TD.  It is the one thing he has not been doing, and I have got a lot grief for it.  Maybe he is waking up, but he has not been a top 5 receiver, no matter his stats.  He is not a possession receiver, and it has effected us.  Even the 49ers thru many short roots to Rice and Owens, who by the way was a great # 2 receiver and a 100% model citizen till Rice left, and they were able to make great runs after the catch.  Moss goes down immediately if anyone is even remotely near him.  Today I am seeing signs of some of his old greatness.  Any objective observers?
    Posted by quasi

Delete everything but the 2nd to last sentence and I agree 100%.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

i completely agree with  quasi

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

The first bomb by Brady, the Moss of two years ago would have  boxed the DB out and get the angle to make the catch.  Finally he boxed out on the catch to set up the TD.  It is the one thing he has not been doing, and I have got a lot grief for it.  Maybe he is waking up, but he has not been a top 5 receiver, no matter his stats.  He is not a possession receiver, and it has effected us.  Even the 49ers thru many short roots to Rice and Owens, who by the way was a great # 2 receiver and a 100% model citizen till Rice left, and they were able to make great runs after the catch.  Moss goes down immediately if anyone is even remotely near him.  Today I am seeing signs of some of his old greatness.  Any objective observers?
    Posted by quasi

I think he just figured it was automatic. Maybe he was reading the press releases all week saying the Dolphins DBs were inexperienced.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Moss is a 32 year old, he can't keep jumping up and snaging the ball like he did two years ago. We have a pretty accurate QB, he should put it out in front for his WRs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

It may be true that Moss shouldn't put out the effort because he is getting old, so why do the same people who say this, say he is a top 5 receiver in the league?  I never said he stinks, but last year against the Steelers he cost us at least 10 points because he dropped very catchable balls.  Why does everyone make excuses for him?  And more important, top 5 receivers don't get blanketed by double coverages.  They still will always manage 1 or 2 big catches in a game because they are great and know where they are running their routes.  I know more than most of you about him because I watched him in Oakland, and he isn't nearly as bad, but he still gets lazy at times and has cost his team games such as the Steeler game last year.  We got way to far behind after his selfish play.  He still is not a focused player, taking to many plays off.  All I am saying are little things and they add up.  Realize that Welker helps him as much as Moss helps Welker.  Moss is still very good, but please!!  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

49Patriots;  That is what I am saying.  Moss doesn't always do his job.  He falls as soon as anyone breathes on him, especially going across the middle.  Rice never just fell when someone was around him.  He also was always making the biggest plays when he was surrounded by DBs, and he never made a circus catch because he was always in perfect position.  Randy isn't always in perfect position, and therefore has to do spectacular things making his body vulnerable.  The man who makes hard things look easy is always better than the one who always is so out of touch with his craft, that he has to put himself out on the edge of a ledge.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

"so why do the same people who say this, say he is a top 5 receiver in the league? "

Ah.......Because he is. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 81pats12. Show 81pats12's posts

making a cicus catch doesnt mean you're out of position it mean you're blanketed by coverage and the QB throw in your viscenity just giving you a chance to make a play... have you seen the jump balls randy catches??? you have to be in perfect position to snag those have you ever played football???

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 81pats12. Show 81pats12's posts

making a circus catch means your QB threw a bad ball but you're athletic enough to make him look good.. brady said it himself moss makes him look good sometimes

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Randy just isn't a physical reciever, never has been.  The qualities you want in a great reciever are

Tall
    Fast
    Great hands
    Physical
    Smart

Randy is four of the five.  When it comes to speed and good hands there probably isn't a better reciever in the NFL. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

he still gets lazy at times and has cost his team games such as the Steeler game last year.

Please, next time you post make sure you are sober! The Steelers beat the c r a p out of NE last year, and Cassel had his worst game as a pro. A couple more catches by Randy would hardly have turned that game around!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Re: Finally Moss Boxed out enough to make the reception:
    making a circus catch means your QB threw a bad ball but you're athletic enough to make him look good.. brady said it himself moss makes him look good sometimes
    Posted by 81pats12

well......sortof.  Sometimes, good quarterbacks will throw the ball to an area where only his WR can get to it - even if it is in an awkward spot - this minimizes the risk that the ball will be intercepted...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

Posted by quasi

That fact you do not see his greatness has no meaning one way or the other. The man is great!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pochen23. Show pochen23's posts

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/5572/measuring-wayne-vs-moss-and-moss-vs-kid-cbs

This link shows, even at age 32, Moss is just about as good as Wayne, who is in his prime. Manning is also auguably better than Brady this year, at least for the first few games in term of accuracy of the throw and pocket presence.

What is interesting is that all but one of Moss's TD come when Brady is pressured while all of Wayne's TD come with no added pressure to Manning. Moss also has 3 3rd down TDs while Wayne has none.

This shows that Moss is not only a deep threat, but a clutch one that will make play on 3rd down. This also means that Moss is indeed extremely smart that he reads the defense coverage and adjust to blitz situation where Brady can find him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Posted by quasi

I really hope randy is reading this thread so he can benefit from your vast store of football wisdom to become a good receiver.

Sections
Shortcuts