Finally, some sense to the Colts game!

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SANPATT. Show SANPATT's posts

Re: Finally, some sense to the Colts game!

TOTALLY AGREE WITH THE ARTICLE.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

King - Wilfork was sat in the 4th. Slater started this week and Edelman played as a 3rd CB all of last week.

There is a big difference between having a player in for the entire 4 quarters and playing them in the last quarter of a blow out.

If Slater was in the 4th only I would not even question it at all but considering BB stance that all games are must win games it's a head scratcher that he'd start Slater.

We are talking about the coach who plays his starters more then an entire half in week 17 when there is nothing more to gain. He jsut doesn't rest starters unless they are injured. For the DL and LB I agree he's experimenting with his depth but the DB core I honestly believe he's concerned about the depth and is forced to play O players back there hoping they will work out. Games like these are perfect for evaluation as the odds of winning are much higher but I don't think BB looks at any game before it's played and says that it's a gimme. For examples look at all those trap games when he was honestly upset at the play and warned his players that this could happen if you look past an opponent

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In Response to Re: Finally, some sense to the Colts game!:
    [QUOTE]King - Wilfork was sat in the 4th. Slater started this week and Edelman played as a 3rd CB all of last week. There is a big difference between having a player in for the entire 4 quarters and playing them in the last quarter of a blow out. If Slater was in the 4th only I would not even question it at all but considering BB stance that all games are must win games it's a head scratcher that he'd start Slater. We are talking about the coach who plays his starters more then an entire half in week 17 when there is nothing more to gain. He jsut doesn't rest starters unless they are injured. For the DL and LB I agree he's experimenting with his depth but the DB core I honestly believe he's concerned about the depth and is forced to play O players back there hoping they will work out. Games like these are perfect for evaluation as the odds of winning are much higher but I don't think BB looks at any game before it's played and says that it's a gimme. For examples look at all those trap games when he was honestly upset at the play and warned his players that this could happen if you look past an opponent
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Never hurts to change it up, right?  Wilfork absolutely needs some time off.  After reading TFB's post and Reiss' outlook, it seems like BB is spreading some reps out to other players.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

It really does make sence. 
    That game was won before it was started. BB knew that he could have gone 5 wide the entire time and put up 50+ points. But instead he didnn't, he tested players on the both sides. On offense wanted to see what Kevin Faulk had left in the tank, if Ridley could be reliable in the no huddle, and BJGE could do more than just line behind Brady and smash the ball. He gave Ocho a role on the 5 wide and Underwear got few chance too. Some answered the call but others such not so much.

On defense it was all a mix up; Cunningham and Ellis got some chances and I hate to admit this because I thought when the Pats drafted Cunningham it was great but he is terrible. Eillis can still play the run but Anderson and Deadrick are much more useful at DE right now. Then Mayo only played the middle and some other guy I've never heard of played weak side and did OK I guess. Moore I believe played mostly CB and late in the 3rd was playing for McCourty and he got a few reps at nickel corner as well. And then everyone saw Slater playing safety. 

BB was just experiment with almost everyone, some worked out and some didn't but its hard for me to believe that right now the Pats are better with McCourty at left corner over Molden. Its obvious to me that Moore is going to be vary valuable to this team come playoffs, He can play both safety spots and all three corner positions. James was much more physical than Adams. I dont think this team has any use for Cunningham and that Mayo can now be used as MLB and WLB. This team knows its starters when healty, but its depth is unbelievable. 

My only question is who right now is better at the left CB position? And no I;m not giving up on McCourty I just think Molden has played better coverage. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

right.......because what BB says to the media is exactly what he thinks about his team inside the locker room.

Brady wasn't too happy about the game yesterday and even went on to say the team has yet to play a 60 minute game, which I think says a lot about this teams preperation for the playoffs.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

[QUOTE]King - Wilfork was sat in the 4th. Slater started this week and Edelman played as a 3rd CB all of last week. There is a big difference between having a player in for the entire 4 quarters and playing them in the last quarter of a blow out. If Slater was in the 4th only I would not even question it at all but considering BB stance that all games are must win games it's a head scratcher that he'd start Slater. We are talking about the coach who plays his starters more then an entire half in week 17 when there is nothing more to gain. He jsut doesn't rest starters unless they are injured. For the DL and LB I agree he's experimenting with his depth but the DB core I honestly believe he's concerned about the depth and is forced to play O players back there hoping they will work out. Games like these are perfect for evaluation as the odds of winning are much higher but I don't think BB looks at any game before it's played and says that it's a gimme. For examples look at all those trap games when he was honestly upset at the play and warned his players that this could happen if you look past an opponent
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

With Slater playing S that allowed Moore to get some reps at multiple CB positions, now BB knows that he can use edelmon to come on the field and cover a guy like Joe McKnight on third and long if they play in the playoffs, and that if the D wants to dial up a blitz and play man to man across the board and he can take Moore whose playing safety and ask him to cover a 4th WR or TE. Chung is hurt up and Ihedigbo has had a bad shoulder all year long. If we were to loose both of them throughout a game BB can play Slater. He doesn't need to play these guys on defense he does it because it wont take up roster spots and they are good enough. To be honest i really thought Edelmon gave this team a spark, just as Troy Brown used too. He's not forced to play these guys but he does because they do it the Patriot way. Plus if I was BB i would rest Chung 1 more week if he's not 100% healthy, it was just the Colts.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

[QUOTE]That wasn't a scare.  A scare is outplaying my team with our starters on the field and looking like crap. That would be a scare.  I don't disagree that the last TD made things far more interesting than need be, but don't kid yourself. Shame on NE for not playing a more continuous 4th qtr, including the offensive playcalling with 30 second drives, but I also don't look at this game as a game that was much of a gameplan for a multitude of reasons. This was a "let's work on some concepts" type of a game.  No offense. Your team is 0-11 for a reason even if they show up and try.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKingII[/QUOTE]

Rusty - you are actually going to try to hang the debacle that was the 4th Qtr on the OFFENSE - wow?

How much of a lead does the offense need to give the D to assure a game in the 4th quarter?

I admit that I would like to have the offense really spread eagle the Colts but of course the play calling was designed to let the Colts up off the mat - and Rusty, no matter how you might try to spin the 4th quarter as BB experimenting(which may very well be true) it was an abysmal effort no matter how you slice it

Rusty - I was leaving this whole topic alone until you brought up the offense - the Patriots offense gave the Patriots defense a 31-3 lead - that ought to be enough against any team - especially the Colts

And was it the offenses fault that, after their 1st possession, where they scored a field goal, that the D then allowed a 19 play, 10:19 second drive - allowing 3 3rd down conversions of 3/9, 3/6, and 3/8 in the process?

Rusty - you have ceaselessly excoriated the Pats offensive struggles over the past few weeks - now you are going to come here and just brush off a truly abysmal defensive showing against a truly bad football team as no big deal?

Rusty - are you f*ckin serious?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]Though I don't like to see the D let a chump complete 80% of his passes, ya got to take it with a grain of salt and realize that the sin was simply being slackers in garbage time.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

Guess I didn't realize that bteh entire 4th quarter is considered "garbage time". It's not like the Pats or any other NFL team rolled over a LOST a huge lead and eventually the game by doing this. 

Ya gotta play 'em all!  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Finally, some sense to the Colts game! : My post was in reference to yours saying that I was lying that the colts put a scare into the pats.  First off, it wasn't a lie, it was an opinion.  I don't know whether or not Belichick was concerned, but I've got to believe he was not happy to have the colts trying an onside kick for an opp to tie the game, and I don't think he put Brady in for the final snap because he wanted Brady to get the work. 
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

How's it feel to have your team taken less seriously than our practice squad?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

AZ - you haven't been paying attention to the fabled PaulK posts on this board then. 

Paul had the brilliant ranking/betting line that never considered 4th quarter play because it was always "garbage time".  Not that it matters, but after the 09 season where the colts came back in the 4th in like 9 games and went to the superbowl, I am sure Paul's yr end rankings had the pats 2nd and the colts between 10th and 12th. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Finally, some sense to the Colts game! : Rusty - you are actually going to try to hang the debacle that was the 4th Qtr on the OFFENSE - wow? How much of a lead does the offense need to give the D to assure a game in the 4th quarter? I admit that I would like to have the offense really spread eagle the Colts but of course the play calling was designed to let the Colts up off the mat - and Rusty, no matter how you might try to spin the 4th quarter as BB experimenting(which may very well be true) it was an abysmal effort no matter how you slice it Rusty - I was leaving this whole topic alone until you brought up the offense - the Patriots offense gave the Patriots defense a 31-3 lead - that ought to be enough against any team - especially the Colts And was it the offenses fault that, after their 1st possession, where they scored a field goal, that the D then allowed a 19 play, 10:19 second drive - allowing 3 3rd down conversions of 3/9, 3/6, and 3/8 in the process? Rusty - you have ceaselessly excoriated the Pats offensive struggles over the past few weeks - now you are going to come here and just brush off a truly abysmal defensive showing against a truly bad football team as no big deal? Rusty - are you f*ckin serious?
    Posted by qball369[/QUOTE]

The offense didn't give a ratsarse in the 4th either. If BB could have put inflatable players out there he probably would have tried it. As for berating the offense...the multible turnover games have ceased and that was my issue. Plus I'm not on the BJGE hate squad.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

i did not even bother to see the game. so today, i laughed at all the doom and gloom people here when i learned that the colts looked unstoppable only after pulling the starters. and it was not even about pulling the starters. they played people off thier positions.

i don't think it was just about experimentation. i think it was really to protect d players from more injuries, given there is more depth on the o side.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]AZ - you haven't been paying attention to the fabled PaulK posts on this board then.  Paul had the brilliant ranking/betting line that never considered 4th quarter play because it was always "garbage time".  Not that it matters, but after the 09 season where the colts came back in the 4th in like 9 games and went to the superbowl, I am sure Paul's yr end rankings had the pats 2nd and the colts between 10th and 12th. 
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

You have to play the full and complete. If you want to pull the starters with a 3 or 30 point lead, then go for it. It's still game conditions. Is it "garbage time" when/if you lose 4 starters (2 on offense and 2 on defense) during the game? "Garbage time" is a term of convenience. If you're up big, you close the deal. Simple. 

I recall a certain playoff game the Pats lost to the Colts, overcoming a good lead. It involved a 4th down pass in their own territory.... NAW! According to some folks, that was "garbage time". Oh, wait! Can it be that garbage time only relates to big leads against bad teams?