Finding A Way To Win This Year's SB

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Re: Finding A Way To Win This Year's SB

^^^ Agree. Was a great season considering all the injuries and getting the young WRs up to speed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Not sure where you are getting your numbers but it looks to me they have regressed, not improved, in every category.

Points per game
    Final '13 ranking: 3rd (27.75)
    Last week: 5th (27.3)
    Last season: 1st (34.8)

Points allowed per game
    Final '13 ranking: 10th (21.1)
    Last week: Tied-9th (21.2)
    Last season: Tied-9th (20.6)

Third-down offense
    Final '13 ranking:
    16th (83 of 221, 37.6 percent)
    Last week: 14th (79 of 208, 38.0 percent)
    Last season: 1st (110 of 226, 48.7 percent)

Third-down defense
    Final '13 ranking:
    26th (98 of 232, 42.2 percent)
    Last week: 28th (94 of 219, 42.9 percent)
    Last season: 22nd (82 of 205, 40.0 percent)

Turnover differential
    Final '13 ranking: 8th (plus-9, 29 takeaways, 20 giveaways)
    Last week: Tied-6th (plus-10, 29 takeaways, 19 giveaways)
    Last season: 1st (plus-25, 41 takeaways, 16 giveaways)

Red zone offense (based on TD percentage)
    Final '13 ranking: 15th (36 of 65)
    Last week: 6th (35 of 61)
    Last season: 1st (49 of 70)

Red zone defense (based on TD percentage)
    Final '13 ranking: 16th (28 of 50)
    Last week: 16th (26 of 46)
    Last season: 13th (24 of 46)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from melswitts. Show melswitts's posts

In response to PhatVirgin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pezz4pats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not sure where you are getting your numbers but it looks to me they have regressed, not improved, in every category.

Points per game

Points allowed per game

Third-down offense
    Final '13 ranking:

Third-down defense
    Final '13 ranking:

Turnover differential

[/QUOTE]

Pezz, I wasn't comparing this years stats vs. last years stats - just saying what defensive metrics were important (to me) when gauging the state of the defense.

For example, our points against average this year is actually lower this year vs. last year. You didn't even bother mentioning the pass defense where in 2012, the Patriots gave up about 270 passing yards per game vs. 239/game this year. Granted, the rush defense tanked this year vs. last year - but I'm okay with that as I don't think giving up a lot of rushing yards has the same impact on a game vs. giving up a lot of passing yards.

[/QUOTE]

Let's see...just don't do ANYTHING the NY Jets tried this season...they were, and are, and always will be, the epitome of failure and personal pecadillos...a team lead by a foot fetishist?..Indeed.....Only in NYC!...

Just run the ball and pass when required...sounds easy, it's not...something the NY Jets couldn't manage to do...stay proud GANG GREEN, stay proud...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Points per game

Points allowed per game

Third-down offense
    Final '13 ranking:

Third-down defense
    Final '13 ranking:

Turnover differential

[/QUOTE]

Pezz, I wasn't comparing this years stats vs. last years stats - just saying what defensive metrics were important (to me) when gauging the state of the defense.

For example, our points against average this year is actually lower this year vs. last year. You didn't even bother mentioning the pass defense where in 2012, the Patriots gave up about 270 passing yards per game vs. 239/game this year. Granted, the rush defense tanked this year vs. last year - but I'm okay with that as I don't think giving up a lot of rushing yards has the same impact on a game vs. giving up a lot of passing yards. And yes, the red zone defense is worse - and worse than what I'd like - but it didn't tank like the rushing defense.

What I was trying to convey is that the stats, to me, suggest that this years defense is in a position to help the team win some games.  Not perfect, bet better in some key areas (i.e., pass defense)

[/QUOTE]

Points against is worse than last years and they rank 10th as apposed to last years 9th.

I didn't include yards per game because Reiss didn't.  This is his breakdown.

I know they were a little better in yards given up but much worse in run D, so a lot of teams were running against them, instead of passing.  Strategy to keep the O on the bench.

They are still giving up wayyy too many big plays.

The only thing they excel at is, surprisingly, points scored.

Actually, That's a miracle with a no receiver, no TE, offense.

Thank you TB.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Rookie WR's who haven't improved and can't stay on the field."

Actually I do think they have improved - true, they can't stay in the field but maybe the bye week will get one or both of them healthy. 

Could be a blessing in disguise to some extent, as the team will have to plan a run heavy game plan and they have the weapons to do it (and only Cincy has a decent run defense of the other AFC teams). 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

[QUOTE]

Considering all of the injuries to key players on this Patriots team, they've exceeded my expectations. 12-4, #2 seed.  There really isn't much to complain about.  

Prior to the start of the season, I expected some difficulty w/ the offense and hoping to see the defense continue to improve; especially with pass defense and pass rush. I was hoping to see the defense get back into the top 5 in points against and takeaway/giveaway, top 10 in red zone defense, top 10-15 in pass defense. IMO, they needed these improvements on the defensive side to improve the chances of winning another superbowl.

16 games later, they ended #5 in points against, #3 in takeaway/giveaway, #10 in pass defense, and #16 in red zone defense. The offense has picked things up the second half of the season, and the defense has trended back to its early season form.

Not sure about anyone else - but they've improved in all the areas that I was hoping for DESPITE all of the injuries. Pretty stoked about that.

So, the new season starts. The regular season record and stats mean nothing. I'm sure BB and the coaching staff and players are fully aware that the margin of error for this team going forward is very small. 

IMO, it would be a mistake to oversimpify and say things like the Patriots need x number of passes vs. runs in order to win. I say, do whatever works against the opponent that they're facing; regardless of whether it calls for more of one offensive weapon vs. another.  In other words - do whatever it takes, do whatever is working, change quickly if something isn't working.

IMO, the defense and ST is going to have to step up their game; especially if/when the opponent is successful in getting to brady and covering our receivers.

[/QUOTE]

I agree wholeheartedly.  One thing you didn't mention is the toughness that this team has.  They have the heart of a champion and know how to win no matter how.  I have been waiting a long time to have a team like this again... one that had a spine and was a mentally strong team.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from melswitts. Show melswitts's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I agree wholeheartedly.  One thing you didn't mention is the toughness that this team has.  They have the heart of a champion and know how to win no matter how.  I have been waiting a long time to have a team like this again... one that had a spine and was a mentally strong team.

[/QUOTE]

This is true.  They did hang in there - especially with several come from behind wins. That may come in handy come playoffs.  That being said, I'm hoping all of the coaches do a better job with play calling on both sides of the ball, come up w/ some good game plans, and can quickly make adjustments on the fly for 3 more games Laughing

[/QUOTE]

PHAT VIRGIN

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Well, here's the problem, partner.

Worse pass D or Run D really doesn't matter because it boiling down to a worse 3rd down D than last year and years prior.

So, whether it by pass or run, the other teams are keeping the D on the field, even worse than last year and as bad as 2011.

When the D is on the field, that means the O is not.

Reduced possessions are not a recipe for success and it's even worse now that the O has declined.  They will need every possession possible to score points or at least some help from the D and ST's.  They had a freaken 7 possession game this year.  W T F

Turn overs are in decline too. so...

The only advantage I see them having is that they've been to hell and back and still survived.  That and the rest of the league has problems too.

Yes, I believe they are team of great strength, just not statistically talented.

The season starts over now.  They will not be playing the Browns, Jets, Fins, Bills, Texans.

So, we will see just how strong they are.

Hopin for the best,  BUT.........

That's a big BUT!Sealed

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This is true.  They did hang in there - especially with several come from behind wins. That may come in handy come playoffs.  That being said, I'm hoping all of the coaches do a better job with play calling on both sides of the ball, come up w/ some good game plans, and can quickly make adjustments on the fly for 3 more games Laughing

[/QUOTE]

I think there was more trial and error than we are used to.  The one thing in our favor is the determination of Tom and Bill to cement their place in history.  I think they know what weapons they have and the team is playing well in all three phases.  To have a young team blossom in front of your eyes is pretty special.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from melswitts. Show melswitts's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think there was more trial and error than we are used to.  The one thing in our favor is the determination of Tom and Bill to cement their place in history.  I think they know what weapons they have and the team is playing well in all three phases.  To have a young team blossom in front of your eyes is pretty special.

[/QUOTE]

Let's hope they cement their 4th together. Anything after that is gravy? lol

[/QUOTE]

PHAT VIRGIN

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Worse pass D or Run D really doesn't matter because it boiling down to a worse 3rd down D than last year and years prior.

So, whether it by pass or run, the other teams are keeping the D on the field, even worse than last year and as bad as 2011.

Reduced possessions are not a recipe for success and it's even worse now that the O has declined.  They will need every possession possible to score points or at least some help from the D and ST's.  They had a freaken 7 possession game this year.  W T F

The only advantage I see them having is that they've been to hell and back and still survived.  That and the rest of the league has problems too.

Yes, I believe they are team of great strength, just not statistically talented.

The season starts over now.  They will not be playing the Browns, Jets, Fins, Bills, Texans.

That's a big BUT!Sealed

[/QUOTE]

Here's a question about 3rd down defense. what is their 3rd down defense like between the 20s vs. in the red zone? In other words, historically - BB's defense give ups lots of yards between the 20s. I would guess that between 2008 and 2011 and some of 2012 - it was worse than this year.
    In addition, how are this year's Patriots at making timely stops.  Sure, they had hiccups this year too - but I have a little more faith at this time vs. lets say 2011.

[/QUOTE]

Is it just me or have they been finding a different way to win every week?  One week it's Vereen they next it is Brady then it's the D the next it's Blount.  Any change they can combine all of this for the Playoff run?  I'd like to see the Defensive Coordinator for a team game playing over the last 3 or 4 weeks and see what they need to stop.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

In response to DeadAhead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Considering all of the injuries to key players on this Patriots team, they've exceeded my expectations. 12-4, #2 seed.  There really isn't much to complain about.  

Prior to the start of the season, I expected some difficulty w/ the offense and hoping to see the defense continue to improve; especially with pass defense and pass rush. I was hoping to see the defense get back into the top 5 in points against and takeaway/giveaway, top 10 in red zone defense, top 10-15 in pass defense. IMO, they needed these improvements on the defensive side to improve the chances of winning another superbowl.

16 games later, they ended #5 in points against, #3 in takeaway/giveaway, #10 in pass defense, and #16 in red zone defense. The offense has picked things up the second half of the season, and the defense has trended back to its early season form.

Not sure about anyone else - but they've improved in all the areas that I was hoping for DESPITE all of the injuries. Pretty stoked about that.

So, the new season starts. The regular season record and stats mean nothing. I'm sure BB and the coaching staff and players are fully aware that the margin of error for this team going forward is very small. 

IMO, it would be a mistake to oversimpify and say things like the Patriots need x number of passes vs. runs in order to win. I say, do whatever works against the opponent that they're facing; regardless of whether it calls for more of one offensive weapon vs. another.  In other words - do whatever it takes, do whatever is working, change quickly if something isn't working.

IMO, the defense and ST is going to have to step up their game; especially if/when the opponent is successful in getting to brady and covering our receivers.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You're responding to a Jets troll named Bustchise. He poses as a Pats fan, but always compliments the offense, but subtly bashes the D because BB is a defensive minded coach and is jealous BB left the JEts to come here as the best ever.

So, please don't "agree wholeheartedly" with that troll. You're being had.

[/QUOTE]

Waaaaawaaaaa my name is Rusty and every poster that doesn't agree with me is Jets troll named Bustchise.  Maybe you should come back as MelsDimWits and capticalize and bold "Jets troll named Bustchise" I'm sure someone will believe you then Twit

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

That's a big BUT!Sealed

[/QUOTE]

Here's a question about 3rd down defense. what is their 3rd down defense like between the 20s vs. in the red zone? In other words, historically - BB's defense give ups lots of yards between the 20s. I would guess that between 2008 and 2011 and some of 2012 - it was worse than this year.
    In addition, how are this year's Patriots at making timely stops.  Sure, they had hiccups this year too - but I have a little more faith at this time vs. lets say 2011.

[/QUOTE]

I don't know what their 3rd down D is in the RZ.  I don't think I've ever seen it broken down that way.

I do know that they gave up 4 rushing TD's to the Texans, a team that had 2 Total rushing TD's for the year.  So it can't be great

I do know that they are 26th in the league and that is not good. It's a little better than 2011, which was beyond pathetic.  Better pass D but bad run D.

Even their points allowed is not indicative of current games.  They started low against a first game rookie, a second game rookie, Josh Freeman DOA, and then increased significantly with a few low scoring games and then the 30ppg type.  They are closer to the mid 20's + now as apposed to the beginning of the year, when it was lower..

Also, I keep stressing that lower possession games will result in lower points allowed. (and scored)

Points per drive are a better indicator than points per game because not all games have the same amount of possessions.  Giving up 17 points in 8 possessions is not the same as giving up 17 points in 12 possessions.  The score is the same but one was achieved with less stops.  Obviously the team who gave up 17 in 12 possessions, is a better D than the one who gave up 17 with only 8 possessions,.  The Pats D is on the lower possession scale, which may make it artificially low..

A D that can't get off the field is going to have less possessions to stop and unfortunately, less possessions to try and score with for the O. 

When teams like the Browns and fins are keeping the D on the field, that's Not Good.

It's scary.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

The team is gritty and that is admirable. Will that be enough to win a SB? The 2001 team was gritty but their D was able to back it up at crucial moments. Will the Pats have it in them? Wish I had the answer because we all know there are several formidible opponents out there.

Certainly, we have been fortunate in the past decade or so with 3 SB wins but we are not owed anything by history, the NFL or anyone else. Because we are gritty and have far exceeded what anyone thought we could achieve given all the injuries does not mean we are special, annointed or entitled to win anything. It just means we have the right to play another game. We have the right to keep fighting to prove ourselves. Nothing more. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I don't know what their 3rd down D is in the RZ.  I don't think I've ever seen it broken down that way.

I do know that they gave up 4 rushing TD's to the Texans, a team that had 2 Total rushing TD's for the year.  So it can't be great

I do know that they are 26th in the league and that is not good. It's a little better than 2011, which was beyond pathetic.  Better pass D but bad run D.

Even their points allowed is not indicative of current games.  They started low against a first game rookie, a second game rookie, Josh Freeman DOA, and then increased significantly with a few low scoring games and then the 30ppg type.  They are closer to the mid 20's + now as apposed to the beginning of the year, when it was lower..

Also, I keep stressing that lower possession games will result in lower points allowed. (and scored)

Points per drive are a better indicator than points per game because not all games have the same amount of possessions.  Giving up 17 points in 8 possessions is not the same as giving up 17 points in 12 possessions.  The score is the same but one was achieved with less stops.  Obviously the team who gave up 17 in 12 possessions, is a better D than the one who gave up 17 with only 8 possessions,.  The Pats D is on the lower possession scale, which may make it artificially low..

A D that can't get off the field is going to have less possessions to stop and unfortunately, less possessions to try and score with for the O. 

When teams like the Browns and fins are keeping the D on the field, that's Not Good.

It's scary.

[/QUOTE]

You've brought up some valid points. In regards to fewer possessions, isn't that what we need though give that our offense might not be able to put up points like last year?  Something has to help keep the team close - whether it be via fewer possessions by both teams - or the timeliness of defensive plays. And, again, I would rather be better w/ pass defense being improved and having a worse run D. I don't know, I figure if we have a porous pass D - that it takes less time for opponents to score. 

[/QUOTE]

It might help against higher scoring teams like the Donkeys but not if it's because they are exploiting the pats D who is also allowing scores by the bushels.

Now if Tom could exploit the Donkeys D and keep Payaton on the bench, that would be ideal.  That would force PM to become more one dimensional and give the Pats D the advantage,.

That's exactly what the Gints did in their wins.  D would really have to step up for that to happen though.

I believe they have made some clutch plays this year as apposed to the last several.

The whole team has.  So they got a shot. Stranger things have happened.

It would be great to see Tom beat Peyton, exactly the same way Eli beat him and go on to win the SB this time.

One can dream.  I sleep with my eyes open, though.  LOL JK

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bradysgirlforreal. Show Bradysgirlforreal's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well once again Tom Brady is going into the playoffs without any weapons.  Edelman is good in the slot but with no outside weapons he can be taken out of a game.  No TE's capable of making a play.  Rookie WR's who haven't improved and can't stay on the field.  Danny is useless.

God Bless you Tom Brady and hopefully you can make Chit shine for 3 more games.

[/QUOTE]

I think the Pats should run the ball more this playoffs--no one in the AFC playoffs except possibly the Bungels can stop the run?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

In response to Bradysgirlforreal's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Well once again Tom Brady is going into the playoffs without any weapons.  Edelman is good in the slot but with no outside weapons he can be taken out of a game.  No TE's capable of making a play.  Rookie WR's who haven't improved and can't stay on the field.  Danny is useless.

[/QUOTE]

I think the Pats should run the ball more this playoffs--no one in the AFC playoffs except possibly the Bungels can stop the run?

[/QUOTE]

I think the Pats intended to run it a lot against the Broncos but the three quick fumbles(two by running backs) forced them to abandon it. Can't fumble it like that against the Broncos in the playoffs (if they can get that far) because there is no Gronk to help lead the comeback. I think their best chance to win all their playoff games is by running it mostly. Get the lead, kill the clock and hang on for dear life at the end and if Edleman goes down the Pats may not be able to complete any passes.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

Use the formula from 2004, and even 2001.  Brady becomes a game manager, with short passes to JE and DA, occasionally "flinging it deep" to AD and KT.  Run the ball.  Make full use of Blount, Ridley and Vereen - power runs, draws, screens whatever the defense gives them. AFC teams are all beatable, and Pats can beat them.  They can beat the NFC iron as well.  Go Pats!

Red Sox 2013 World Series Champions.  Patriots 2014 Super Bowl Champions???!!! 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If he can win one single game this post season it will be his greatest accomplishment. This is the worst group he has walked into the post season with since he's been here. Offensive line that is injured? Check. No deep threat that can open things up? Check. No tightends? Check. No redzone threat? Check. Not one single pro bowl player at the skill positions? Check. No 1000 yard rusher? Check. 

He will have one good slot receiver and one average one to work with. He will also have Vereen, who may or may not make it through the entire game. He might have Thompkins - who hasn't been healthy in a month. And we will all have to hope and pray that playoff defenses are as bad as the Bills, or he won't have a running game either.

Yet if we lose a select few will blame Brady. Laughable.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Pats are #10 in points against (essentially where they've been).

The Pats are #9 in takeaway/giveaway ratio.

The Pats are #16 in pass defense. 

The Pats are #16 in RZ defense. 

I'm not sure where you got those stats, but they are a lot better than reality. 

That said I agree with the latter part of your post. NE has to really custom tailor each game plan to each opponent this postseason or they don't have a chance. There is not one thing this team can do if the other team knows it is coming ...

Sections
Shortcuts