Fire Bill O'Brien!

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Re: Fire Bill O'Brien!

OB is not a good OC. Calls pass plays down there and then goes at Brady for trying to make a play?

How about OB's dumb @ss calls run plays to kill the clock and at worst, take 3 points which would have finished off the game right there and then? Benny doesn't fumble, why not run?

No, OB wants to pass pass and pass some more. Brady throws the ball, Underwood doesn't go hard for it and its picked. Who's fault? Brady's for the pick, OB's for calling a pass play in that situation.

He wont get fired but he isn't a good OC. I don't get why he doesn't see that our offense is at its best when we use a pass /run mix. When we go pass only, its either a good drive or a quick three and out. When he does run, its 2 or 3 runs and once it gets stopped, he goes back to the spread. When we use a mix of run/pass throughout the drive, we usually end up scoring...

If everyone in my family can see that, why can't OB?

He does not know how to run a balanced offense correctly.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

Give me a break already-Bill O Brien didn't throw the ball into tight coverage. Brady should have thrown the ball away and taken the extra point for a field goal. I'm amazed at posters blaming O Brien for the play call! If he called run many here would have wanted a pass play. I myself have more respect for OBrien since he had the _alls to get in Bradys face!! Poor judgement by Brady-period-end of discusion!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

In Response to Re: Fire Bill O'Brien!:
    Give me a break already-Bill O Brien didn't throw the ball into tight coverage. Brady should have thrown the ball away and taken the extra point for a field goal. I'm amazed at posters blaming O Brien for the play call! If he called run many here would have wanted a pass play. I myself have more respect for OBrien since he had the _alls to get in Bradys face!! Poor judgement by Brady-period-end of discusion!!!
    Posted by jimmytantric

So you would be happier if the Pats got rid of Brady and kept OB and Underdog.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

O'Brien is a chump in over his head. Dump him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

O'Brien lacks creativity, ingenuity and has no feel for the game.

ex.  The whole 1st half of the Eagles game Brady is getting swarmed by the pass rush.  It isn't till the 1st play of the 2nd half he throws a screen pass that goes for like 14 yards (meanwhile every poster on the game thread was posting throw a freaking screen pass).

When the run is working for no reason he will abandon it and go spread and 3 and outs.

The hurry up always works yet he hardly uses it and never sticks with it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

O'Brien lacks creativity, ingenuity and has no feel for the game. ex.  The whole 1st half of the Eagles game Brady is getting swarmed by the pass rush.  It isn't till the 1st play of the 2nd half he throws a screen pass that goes for like 14 yards (meanwhile every poster on the game thread was posting throw a freaking screen pass). When the run is working for no reason he will abandon it and go spread and 3 and outs. The hurry up always works yet he hardly uses it and never sticks with it.
    Posted by tcal2-

O'Brien has a very good reason for abadoning the run when it's working, he's a moron.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

O'Brien lacks creativity, ingenuity and has no feel for the game. ex.  The whole 1st half of the Eagles game Brady is getting swarmed by the pass rush.  It isn't till the 1st play of the 2nd half he throws a screen pass that goes for like 14 yards (meanwhile every poster on the game thread was posting throw a freaking screen pass). When the run is working for no reason he will abandon it and go spread and 3 and outs. The hurry up always works yet he hardly uses it and never sticks with it.
    Posted by tcal2-

I agree with everything except the hurry up. Yes he could use it once maybe twice a game more but the whole reason it's affective is because they match up that one defensive package that is least affective against the hurry up, which doesn't happen on every series, and it catches the D by surprise. It's most affective maybe 2 or 3 times a game, not on every series.

Other then that I completely agree OB looks lost. He sometimes ha no clue how to use his RB's effectively and is horrible about disguising his formations. He's the anti-Weis in that way and at least McDaniels knew you had to run the ball and mix it up for the passing game to be effective

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: Fire Bill O'Brien! : +1 !!!!! O'Brien yelling at his player (!)  is the least of the concerns here. It's great fodder for the media, but that is what happens and what should happen. Do people really  want a team where a coach can't discipline a player? That's Minnesota with Brett Favre ... I don't want that. And neither does Brady.  O'Brien gets his own +1 for saying whatever he said. 
    Posted by zbellino

Strongly disagree. I think Brady has earned the right to dress down a street scrub for something he saw as lacking in his execution.

And it is the coach who is out of line jumping in on that. If O'Brien wants to climb on Brady for his part of a bad play that is within his authority. But Brady has well earned his place as leader of the offense and has not shown an itchy trigger finger to admonish in that role.

O'Brien stepped out of his bounds as a coach and Brady had every right to give his overbearing trespass a blast right back. Brady doesn't need to be publicly humiliated by a Mickey Mouse OC that isn't even qualified for the job when he is the leader of the offense.

zbellino -1, O'Brien -1.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

If MOSS was running that route it would have been a touchdown but he was run out of town after a similar run-in with OB THE OC... Underwood sucks... Understand ? O'Brien showed himself yesterday as the latest failure at the OC Position since he has come out of the shadows. The buffalo loss is on him as are many others. This offense is in trouble. The hug was a joke. Brady has to tolerate this jaka$$ and the 3rd tier receivers that are being under coached and trotted out there. Fire him if that was an option... We're more likely headed for more dysfunction and regret.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Posted by jimmytantric

No, O'Brien didn't. But he wasn't yelling at Brady for throwing a pick. He was yelling because Brady jumped on the street scrub for lack of excecution. THAT ISN'T O'BRIEN'S F'N JOB. Brady is leader of the offense. If he wants to climb on a guy for messing up then HE HAS EARNED THAT F'N RIGHT.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

O'Brien sux. I agree he is a lousy OC. This team has the talent to run the ball, but the personnel groupings and formations too often tell the opposing defense not only that they are running but also where they are running.

But, as the offensive coach, O'Brien should be able to discipline Brady, who simply made a bad throw. He should not, however, make a public spectacle of himself. Just walk over and say, "Tom, a little out front and a little more zip and that's a TD." All that showboating was unnecessary.

Most of all, he needs to call a better game. As several other posters have noted, a FG would have put this one on ice. Just run the frreaking ball, take time off the clock, and boot the chip shot.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Fire Bill O'Brien!:
     Bill O'Brien has shown the world that he is a complete moron.   So fire Bill O'Brien and get a real offensive coordinator, this guy is way too stupid.
    Posted by Grogan77

The truth.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

The BOTTOM line is that O'Briens job is to manage the offense and call the right plays. How hard is it understand that you need to go up 2 possessions whether its a FG or a TD. So.........why in god's green earth did we pass the ball in the situation? We jsut run the ball in, if it doesn't work kick the fg. This also kills time on the clock. Then we would never come close to the mess we got it. But, that's not what happened, O'brien put the personal in and he called a play which really only had Underwood open in the endzone. It was a nice pass, but the DB made a better play. In the end its O'Brien's job to manage the offense and he didn't do it very well. He never has been good at consistent and proper play calling, even that run on 3rd and 1 earlier in the game sucked.

BOTTOM line even if Brady was pissed and yelling, the situation would never of happened if O'Brien could properly manage the situation and game, end of story. With O'brien we are the same team, without Brady it's a whole different story. O'brien should be gone by next year, what is he honestly bringing to this team anyways?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

You want to score a TD there if you can and your best chance to do that is by Brady looking for Gronk or Welker. The odds are pretty darn good that you score there. The only thing you can't do here is throw a pick. I'm no O'Brien fan but you have to fault the throw in this case.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Is OB the head coach?

Does BB not wear a headset that communicates with both the Offense and Defense?

Does he not have the ability to over rule ANY call made on either side of the ball?

Has he not said as much publicly numerous times through this year and his tenure here?

Does he not run "his" systems, which is why he promotes from within?

..and so this is all OB's fault? Seriously?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

You want to score a TD there if you can and your best chance to do that is by Brady looking for Gronk or Welker. The odds are pretty darn good that you score there. The only thing you can't do here is throw a pick. I'm no O'Brien fan but you have to fault the throw in this case.
    Posted by digger0862

With 2 minutes left and a 7-point lead, a FG is practically as good as a TD. What you don't want is a turnover. Whether it was the play call or the execution (or both), there was simply no need to try to force a pass into a tight window.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Bill O'Brien has shown the world that he is a complete moron.  And a Moron should not be the offensive coordinator for the New England Patriots! My reasons: 1. Sticking up for T. Underwood over Brady.  If Bill isn't smart enough to tell the difference between a Hall of fame QB and a scrub like Underwood, he's a moron. 2.  Understanding that Brady has taken the Pats to four superbowls with two other offensive coordinators before his dumb a** cam to New England. 3. The fact that The Pats would not lose a step if Bill O'Brien was here or not, but would be one of the worst teams in the NFL if Brady were not. So fire Bill O'Brien and get a real offensive coordinator, this guy is way too stupid.
    Posted by Grogan77

It is thought processes like this that make teams like the Redskins.

It was Brady's fault. He knew. O'Brien told him so as he should. My take is that Brady respects that far more a group of coaches who exist to wash his sack. It is challenging your team and keeping them honest that makes for a better team mindset.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

1) Brady was out of line and needed to be put in his place. You can't and shouldn't yell at the #4 WR when you make a bad decision and then make a bad throw on top of it. He also shouldn't be yelling at his coach. That's something you do behind close doors not on the field Actually I think Brady blowing up shows that he has zero respect for OB which is a good reason to fire OB 2) Yes Brady get them to SB's but what's the Patriot way? No player is bigger then the team. Brady made the mistake and should be called out for it 3) You don't know that but I agree with this statement If you want to argue OB doesn't know how to play call then that's a great reason. It's obvious to almost everyone that on that drive he should have ran it all 3 times and at worst kicked the FG killing the clock. Why pass it twice to stop the clock when you could make it a 2 score game? That's not to mention the sweep call using BJGE. You have a power back you have him run right behind your high priced G not a sweep. You can also cite that the players don't have any respect for him (See Brady yelling at him on the field) Then you can add to that the complete lack of player development. If you are the OC it's your job to make sure young players get in game reps and experience when you can put them in. Since OB has taken over the team player development has gone down from Tate, Price, and even this year with Ridley and Vereen. There are plenty of things you can fire OB over but because your QB made a mistake and was called out because he was trying to deflect blame for a poor decision and a poor throw?
    Posted by PatsEng

Totally disagree. That's BS. Not the part about payer development but the part of it being OB's fault or ONLY happening while he was here.

The buck starts and stops at BB's feet. He has never played young guys or gotten them into games. The only time he does is when he flat out has total crap at the position and is forced to. Just go back to 2007 when McD was here. They kept everyone playing in all those 2007 blowouts preaching play 60 minutes. That had nothing to do with OB. ...and its not even just on the offensive side of the ball either. Right or wrong on philosophy of that I am not arguing but to say it revolves around OB is flat wrong or at the very least too narrow for blame. It's always been like that during BB's tenure.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Wrong Digger... The OC is the leader of the offense. He should make the run calls and make the field goal happen (worst case scenario ). SOMEBODY in this situation is too f'n greedy and it never was this way under Weis. Yes Brady was younger, conservative options were more prudent at the time ... But have a f'n clue... When you're old , conservative works also . Take less risk. Take less hits. WIN THE F'N GAME . Can't believe I have to type these words .

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

How hard is it to not throw an INT!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Fire Bill O'Brien! : Totally disagree. That's BS. Not the part about payer development but the part of it being OB's fault or ONLY happening while he was here. The buck starts and stops at BB's feet. He has never played young guys or gotten them into games. The only time he does is when he flat out has total crap at the position and is forced to. Just go back to 2007 when McD was here. They kept everyone playing in all those 2007 blowouts preaching play 60 minutes. That had nothing to do with OB. ...and its not even just on the offensive side of the ball either. Right or wrong on philosophy of that I am not arguing but to say it revolves around OB is flat wrong or at the very least too narrow for blame. It's always been like that during BB's tenure.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

I agree BB has to take responsibility for it to. BB is in charge of the overall team and how it plays. But, I also toss some blame on OB as I did with McDaniels. Nether had the balls to go up to BB and tell him they want to work players into the system late in games. It's something Weis never had an issue telling BB. As OC it's also his responsibility to ensure the players are getting developed. Lets face it if BB wants them in they get in but if OB wants them in he has to get them into plays. BB doesn't call every play and only steps in if OB is messing up or he doesn't like the call. OB has the ability to put certain players in under certain conditions to get them reps.

My guess is Brady goes to BB says he doesn't trust player x and BB goes to OB and asks about him. OB most likely says something like well the kid needs more work then doesn't play the kid again because he's afraid Brady will go to BB again and get him in trouble. That's one reason I think Brady and OB had it out. All this stuff has been mounting for a while and it finally came out when OB tried to work in a younger receiver. OB clearly didn't like how Brady was acting towards the younger receiver and finally said enough is enough

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from gandalf433. Show gandalf433's posts

Bill O'Brien has shown the world that he is a complete moron.  And a Moron should not be the offensive coordinator for the New England Patriots! My reasons: 1. Sticking up for T. Underwood over Brady.  If Bill isn't smart enough to tell the difference between a Hall of fame QB and a scrub like Underwood, he's a moron. 2.  Understanding that Brady has taken the Pats to four superbowls with two other offensive coordinators before his dumb a** cam to New England. 3. The fact that The Pats would not lose a step if Bill O'Brien was here or not, but would be one of the worst teams in the NFL if Brady were not. So fire Bill O'Brien and get a real offensive coordinator, this guy is way too stupid.
    Posted by Grogan77

Absolutely Fire Bill OB.  He is the OC of the 10-3 Pats. Lots of people complain we don't have good RB's, or a third receiver, and that we are on our 4th Center, and that Vollmer has been out for 6 or 7 games. Yeah, fire him. The Pats arent' 13-0 so it must be someone's fault, fire O'Brien, but keep the Defensive backs coach.  

Remind me not to hire you to run my company!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

i'm late to the party, but TB is at fault. 

1.) Underwood wasn't open, why make that throw? If you had to make the throw, make sure Underwood goes to go get it. Don't throw it to him when the CB is 2 steps behind him. 

2.) Don't talk to OB in a way you wouldn't dare talk to BB. Tom said something to OB first and I think OB said "And that means you can make that throw?" and Tom said "No sh*t.". 

3.) OB needs to cool it, it was funny, but what was he going to do if he got in Tom's face? Was he going to fight him? No? Then learn to let stuff go. 

4.) No one needs to be fired, it happens all the time. We only saw it because it's Tom Brady. 

5.) Tom should've gotten after the DC, not the OC. The offense scored 28 points, the Defense gave up 28. The offense did it's job, the offense did not. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

In Response to Fire Bill O'Brien! : Absolutely Fire Bill OB.  He is the OC of the 10-3 Pats. Lots of people complain we don't have good RB's, or a third receiver, and that we are on our 4th Center, and that Vollmer has been out for 6 or 7 games. Yeah, fire him. The Pats arent' 13-0 so it must be someone's fault, fire O'Brien, but keep the Defensive backs coach.   Remind me not to hire you to run my company!
    Posted by gandalf433

Okay, so I guess Brady never did anything until OB came to New England.  I guess OB deserves alot of credit for the Patriots success, I mean where would Brady be if it weren't for O'Brien as OC.  

Sections
Shortcuts