Fireman Ed's Guest Column on why he left Thanksgiving Night's game early

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Fireman Ed's Guest Column on why he left Thanksgiving Night's game early

Guest Column: 'Fireman' Ed steps away, but not as fan       Email   More Sharing Servicesmore   Fireman Ed   ALEX TRAUTWIG/GETTY IMAGES

Fireman Ed has been wearing a Mark Sanchez jersey this season instead of his usual No. 42.

ED ANZALONE NEW YORK (Metro.us)

On Thanksgiving night, I left the Jets game before halftime. This was the second time in a row I left before there were four zeroes on the clock. We have had much worse teams than this and I never left before. I pride myself in that, because I am not a quitter.

I decided to leave Thursday because the confrontations with other Jets fans have become more common, even though most Jets fans are fantastic. 

This is an indication of how society has lost and is continuing to lose respect for one another. The stadium has become divided because of the quarterback controversy as well. The fact that I chose to wear a Mark Sanchez jersey this year and that fans think I am on the payroll — which is an outright lie — have made these confrontations more frequent. Whether it’s in the stands, the bathroom or the parking lot, these confrontations are happening on a consistent basis.

Although I can “hold my own,” I do not want to lose my temper and make a stupid mistake. I have a responsibility to the families and kids that enjoy the game and Fireman Ed. 

I have enjoyed my time in chanting the greatest chant in all of sports. I have enjoyed meeting all the wonderful Jets fans around the world and look forward to the day we all can raise the Lombardi Trophy as one and celebrate a world championship down the Canyon of Heroes!

I will always love the Jets because they are in my heart, and I will attend games as usual, just not as Fireman Ed. God bless and, as always, let’s go Jets!

–Fireman Ed Anzalone was a New York City firefighter for two decades and has been a Jets fan since 1975.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Re: Fireman Ed's Guest Column on why he left Thanksgiving Night's game early

http://www.metro.us/newyork/sports/article/1156831--guest-column-fireman-ed-steps-away-but-not-as-fan

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

"I, I, I, me, me, me."  He's the perfect "mascot" for their franchise.  All ego.  I'm not buying any of this.  He wants to be asked to come back.  This is an attempt for his Sally Field moment.      "You like me!  You really like me!".

And he thinks he's been getting rough treatment from fellow Jets fans?   Maybe he should ask some women who have attended games for the last 20 years what it's been like for them.  They have earned their reputation as the worst fans in the league.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Sure there are other NJ / NY firemen that would love to step in.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

This has gone "viral" via twitter....The sports writers/columnists/analysts are having a field day with it.....laugh

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Nothing quite like being the face of the worst franchise in sports.  The Rosenbergs were more respected in the end then the ship jumping rat Ed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

hahahahahahahaahahahaha

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

He should have just said he got called out to a fire.

Running away from other Jets fans??? That is too funny.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

Worst fans in the world! Love it!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

Is this guy even a real Fire Fighter?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

In response to Rodimus77's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Is this guy even a real Fire Fighter?

[/QUOTE]

Never mind, just read the actual article Rocky posted. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to Rocky's comment:
    [QUOTE]Guest Column: 'Fireman' Ed steps away, but not as fan       Email   More Sharing Servicesmore   Fireman Ed  ALEX TRAUTWIG/GETTY IMAGES

Fireman Ed has been wearing a Mark Sanchez jersey this season instead of his usual No. 42.

ED ANZALONE NEW YORK (Metro.us)

On Thanksgiving night, I left the Jets game before halftime. This was the second time in a row I left before there were four zeroes on the clock. We have had much worse teams than this and I never left before. I pride myself in that, because I am not a quitter.

RESPONSE: Oh really? You pass yourself off as the #1 Jets fan...a leader. Yet, unlike navy captains, you refused to go down with the Kelly Green ship. Instead, you quit...as shown when you abandoned ship, at halftime. Can't say that I blame you...the Jets were worse than awful. But, come on, man. Own it, Ed. 

I decided to leave Thursday because the confrontations with other Jets fans have become more common, even though most Jets fans are fantastic.

RESPONSE: LOL!!! In a word...weak! You're trying to sell us that you left because you just noticed that confrontations with other Jets' fans have become more common? Are you seriously trying to tell us that rude Jets' fans are something new? Ed, you're really pushing the envelope with this BS. You're a tough guy. Are you trying to say that a few unrulies ran you off? Losing repeatedly, and in a humiliating fashion, breeds discontent. But, Jets fans should be used to it by now.   

This is an indication of how society has lost and is continuing to lose respect for one another.

RESPONSE: Spare me! Sure, society may not be what it used to be. But, we're talking about NY/NJ fans. When have they ever been courteous and mild mannered?  

The stadium has become divided because of the quarterback controversy as well. The fact that I chose to wear a Mark Sanchez jersey this year and that fans think I am on the payroll — which is an outright lie — have made these confrontations more frequent. Whether it’s in the stands, the bathroom or the parking lot, these confrontations are happening on a consistent basis.

RESPONSE: Hey Ed, if you can't take the heat, than you're right to get out of the kitchen! But, no one forced you to wear a Sanchez jersey. By doing so, and by holding yourself out as the Jets' #1 fan, you make yourself a target of possible ridicule. So, are you going to stop attending games now, Ed? Are you going to trade the Sanchez jersey for that ol' reliable #42, or the Broadway Joe, #12? 

Although I can â€ÂÂœhold my own,” I do not want to lose my temper and make a stupid mistake. I have a responsibility to the families and kids that enjoy the game and Fireman Ed.

RESPONSE: I understand that there are fans who enjoy the game, but, who enjoys you? You're a fraud. A true kelly-green bleeder would have stuck it out to the end...even though this 49-19 debacle was painful to watch.  

I have enjoyed my time in chanting the greatest chant in all of sports.

RESPONSE: What is that? Lets' Go Yankees??

I have enjoyed meeting all the wonderful Jets fans around the world and look forward to the day we all can raise the Lombardi Trophy as one and celebrate a world championship down the Canyon of Heroes!

RESPONSE: Yes sir...all two of them...you and Jets troll Leon...LOL!!!  

I will always love the Jets because they are in my heart, and I will attend games as usual, just not as Fireman Ed. God bless and, as always, let’s go Jets!

RESPONSE: Really? Who are you going to be disguised as at the next Jets home game...Jingles the Clown? Hey Ed, maybe you can adopt an ol' New Orleans tradition, and wear one of those brown bags over your head...LOL!!! Disappointed in you, big guy.

–Fireman Ed Anzalone was a New York City firefighter for two decades and has been a Jets fan since 1975.

[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4419339/.html

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

So he's not an employee of the team....yet a few years ago he was crying that they wouldn't pay for his seat at the playoff game in Foxboro...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

I think his explanation was pretty good.  I wouldn't begrudge him for stepping away if other fans are giving him a hard time.  With the recent violence at NFL stadiums this year, I think it's the smart thing to do.

Now...should anyone care?  No...not really.  But for better or worse, he's been front and center cheering his horrific team on.  Of course the NY papers might be interested in why he went off the grid.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

Fireman Ed is giving up his firehat so he can wear the new symbol of the Yets,the Keystone Cops.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

In response to Neal Page's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Ytsejamer1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think his explanation was pretty good.  I wouldn't begrudge him for stepping away if other fans are giving him a hard time.  With the recent violence at NFL stadiums this year, I think it's the smart thing to do.

Now...should anyone care?  No...not really.  But for better or worse, he's been front and center cheering his horrific team on.  Of course the NY papers might be interested in why he went off the grid.

[/QUOTE]

Dude, please. Who does this dork think he is? Some kind of celebrity that people care about, hanging on his every word?

Don't you see it's more about him than it is him really being a diehard fan?  That's the problem with all of their fans. They're a reflection of their "look at me!" owner and mindset.

It's been like that for years because they are second fiddle to the Giants and the Pats, a supposed inferior region of the country/organization, formed a dynasty.

We're talking about a franchise that got embarrassed in the 1985 AFC Wild Card game at home and then saw the Pats go to SB 31.  Their organization hasn't even won a division in ten years, and that in itself was an aberration for them.

I would be absolutely mortified if we had some fan like that in our fanbase making it about him as some male cheerleader, acting like a selfish buffoon during home games.

[/QUOTE]

Dude, please. Who does this dork think he is? Some kind of celebrity that people care about, hanging on his every word?

Don't you see it's more about him than it is him really being a diehard fan?  That's the problem with all of their fans. They're a reflection of their "look at me!" owner and mindset.

Sounds like he has a Rusty complex......

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

I think he's rexs long lost cousin who also inherited the delusional, loudmouth gene, unfortunately.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

A 50 year old male cheerleader who stands the whole game bemoaning the loss of common decency in Ney York.  Wow, what a compelling story...

I bet if someone behind him asks him to sit he says "don't you know who I am?" 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Patsman3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to Ytsejamer1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's been like that for years because they are second fiddle to the Giants and the Pats, a supposed inferior region of the country/organization, formed a dynasty.

We're talking about a franchise that got embarrassed in the 1985 AFC Wild Card game at home and then saw the Pats go to SB 31.  Their organization hasn't even won a division in ten years, and that in itself was an aberration for them.

I would be absolutely mortified if we had some fan like that in our fanbase making it about him as some male cheerleader, acting like a selfish buffoon during home games.

[/QUOTE]

Sounds like he has a Rusty complex......

[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you aren't very bright.

The difference is, I don't go to games and stand on the railing acting all selfish blocking people's views and acting like a buffoon at age 53. I contribute to the discussions here, whether you agree with me or not.  I don't make it about me at all.

Now, Commie and Bdbreu, that's a different story.

[/QUOTE]

Sounds like I hit the nail on the head.....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

Wah! All the other fans are picking on me.  

What a chump.

Sections
Shortcuts