First Round Pick We Need To Go RB....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coolguy55220. Show Coolguy55220's posts

Re: First Round Pick We Need To Go RB....

Def. need to upgrade OL before drafting a RB or he'll end up being LM... and even LM would be able to run behind an upgraded OL... 
    It'll all depend on what kind of talent is availalbe. Def. need to get OL, OLB, RB/WR and maybe a DE in the first 2 rounds.. One of each would b nice...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"Laz - Agree with your assessment of going for a DE with the first pick.  The pick will be between Odrick and Williams as they will both be there.
    If you're going to go after a RB I think you'll have to use that first 2nd rounder but I don't think any will be there.  As for WRs I would hope that the Pats would take care of this with FA.  The Pats have too many holes to fill.
    Everyone gets onto Maroney.  Was he worth a #1 pick?  Most likely not.  But I do think he is serviceable.  I place most of the blame on the OL.  The blocking just wasn't there.  They didn't blow anybody of the line this year.  We agree on the DE thing, a trench fix.  I think the trenches need a fix on the offensive side of the ball as well
    ."

garytx and ALL:

garytx, FIRST-RE: Julius Peppers/Vince Wilfork...I was actually going to respond to you in the "Wilfork is Replaceable" Thread, largely echoing your sentiments on: How IF Julius Peppers isn't happy by not working in space as a 4-3 DE-(where NE could use his prescence probably more than, Using Peppers as a several-mil-a-year, 30 yr old, learning the OLB spot for the first time)-THEN Julius Peppers being a somewhat happy & content 3-4 DE is somewhat funny...AND that RE: Vince Wilfork, it's tough since there are a few better 3-4 NTs, whom imho are a little tougher against the run, but moreso, A few other 3-4 NTs Who can collapse the pocket better...YET, I agreed with your overall analysis that NE simply has too many needs right now, and in that sense Wilfork has the upper-hand, AND So IF, In the end-An undersized, simply 2-down lineman In Wilfork, actually wants that top 5 DT money rather than top 5 NT dough, NE's "better" overall & practical opportunities will be to try to replace VW in The Draft by perhaps bundling a couple later rders to move up (so we can still secure other positional needs) rather than spending that time, effort, and above all-Money on Julius Peppers...

~NOW, REPositional order NE should target/Targeting a RB...For the much greater part, I very whole-heartedly agree with your post from above.  I'll go in order...

<>RE: Defensive End... We BOTH agree DE should ideally be first (I went into detail with my first, 4 positions post on this thread).

<>RE: Runningback... I'd have no problem with NE taking a good RB with that first 2nd rder...AND subsequently, I'd have no problem with NE taking a good #2 WR with that first 2nd rder...  SEE, cool-guy is probably by and large dead on with his post above.  Namely, That at the very least, 1 of these 2 positions (WR/RB) ABSOLUTELY needs addressing early in the upcoming Draft.  Tom Brady simply NEEDS a true Impact Weapon @ RB and/or @ WR...no, If ands or buts here...  Like I stated, In pass-happy NFL, a club cannot get by with merely a slot-guy, a deep-threat, but ZERO other receiving options and ZERO threatening #1 RBs.  
         Yet, NE could get by with 2 WRs and a #1 RB (he'd sell play-action fakes better, be less predictable than the "RB by Committee", and overall keep D's far more honest). 
         Likewise, NE could also get by with less of a running game (i.e. the one they have now) & 3 WRs (and not-2 WRs and 1 TE imho, with dual-coverage oppossing Defenses Safeties and It drafting a TE anyway-with Watson likely leaving in FA, would be merely securing a parrallel positional move to me).
         In the end, Either Or, would do for me, although...

<>RE: Your idea of shoring up the #1 RB with that first early 2nd rder, while trageting that #2 WR in Free Agency-WOULD have worked.  And initially, This is what I had hoped for as well since this free agency class offered an almost absurd number of NFL vet wideouts (young ones too), who could have been NE's #2 Wr.  But recently, I went on the more updated 2010 NFL Free Agent Lists for WRs, and it was, well...nauseating.  It's like every single NFL franchise did the exact same thing, and made any and every, even potential FA Wr that they had, Either Restricted Free Agents (RFA), OR Exclusive Rights Free Agents (ERFA)...and nearly none of that initial mass of Wrs simply hitting the market are there any longer. 
         The first, RFA...isn't so bad, As I believe it's just that the team the FA is currently on, Can match any and all offers by another team bidding for that FA's services (still, idk-IF that other club can then even counter-offer or not). 
         The second, ERFA...is even tougher though, And as I believe that's all about giving away draft picks and/or future draft picks to the initial club said FA is on (and still, IF and when signing him afterwards).
         In the end, the options for shoring up the #2 WR in FA is far more limited now.

~Finally, RE: Maroney & Fixing the O-Line in the draft...  I agree that Maroney certainly CAN be of value.  His pass-blocking, once a serious problem in his first year or two, Has been very much improved.  Maroney operates at his best imo, by making plays in open space.  I believe when and IF Faulk ever retires and/or we simply let him go as a FA this year, Lawrence Maroney would make simply an excellent 3rd down scat-back-getting draw plays vs a more open defense and getting short dump-off passes in the open field, which overall would suit his best abilities just far better. 
         And so I hear ya, blaming for the greater part, NE's O-Line NOT blowing people off the line.  Even though, imo NE's line is not built for that, and built more for agile, fleet-of-foot, Pass-Blocking...Although imho, the o-line didn't even do that too well.  Brady always does his own part to limit the overall Sack Total, but it appeared that Brady was hurried and/or on his back, far more often than any other season I can remember (which I cannot simply attribute ALL because of his injury last year).  Now, taken into consideration that NE's 2 starting O-Guards are FAs, and O-Tackle Matt Light's age and recent shortcomings (hopefully fixed: Vollmet-Left OT & Light-Right OT)...

...AND So, I would completely understand going with THIS in the upcoming Draft too:  Defensive End (ideally with a more complete game-Odrick), Runningback (ideally a bigger, faster back) OR Wide Receiver (ideally at least a 6'1/200lber with sure hands and good routes), Outside Linebacker (ideally a weakside OLB pass-rushing threat), Offensive Guard (ideally at the very end of rd 2, from what I've seen and from past drafts-NE would be able to target superb quality, the consensus #2-#3 draftable O-Guard).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

Given the Patriots inability to properly evaluate college running backs, it would be a waste of a pick.

I'd rather see them go 3rd round or lower and hope to get lucky. Like they did  with Curtis Martin. On a side note,  I remember the first time I saw Curtis Martin. It was in a preseason game and you could tell he was special immmediately. Of course I thought the same thing about Orien Greene and Ron Mercer with the Celtics. My point is: If Maroney was ever going to amount to anything he would have done it by now. Name one star running back in the history of the league that took 4-5 years to develop. You can't.

The best we can hope for, at this point is a serviceable player. Maybe Faulk's eventual replacement as a third down back. I wouldn't put him in Faulk's league as far as foot speed, being able to elude takles, or even finding the seams. But I think he could be adequate in that position. He is never going to be a 1400 yard back in this league. He is never going to force other teams to put 8 in the box just to stop him. Curtis Martin could have a game where he only got 45 yards and still affect the game in a huge way. How? Because teams had to worry about him breaking one at any time. Maroney doesn't scare defenses. We need a back that does. If for no other reason than to take some of the heat off Brady. The Pats worry too much about drafting blocking RBs. Blocking is simply a little bit of size, some strength, and a lot of technique. Blocking can be taught. We need somebody that can run the darn ball.

The only way we should pick a RB in round 1 is  if we hire someone else to scout him. I simply don't trust the Patriots to evaluate RBs. And we are kind of at a point where we desperately need to start knocking these drafts out of the park. Especially in the first two rounds.   

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

The first need, whether it's in the draft or free agency, is an impact pass rusher (or 2). Either an OLB, a passing-rushing DE or both. Seymour was good rushing the passer, but since the Pats play a 3-4, the better bet is getting an OLB.

Ideally, the Pats could find a young Willie McGinest who could line up at DE or as an OLB.

I'm OK with Maroney. He's been good when healthy. Instead of supporting him with a veteran, maybe they need to find a young stud to help out. Either way, the Pats need to run a bit more and become more versatile like they used to be. That was the great strength in the Super Bowl years. They could line up and throw it around one game then come back the next week and play smash-mouth.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

I was in the same "we can always find a decent rb in the late rounds/we need to improve the O-line first and then just plug in any rb/Maroney is still our best option at rb in 2010" camp until I saw the Mathews highlight reel.  Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsiEY7ilKcU

We need to draft this guy. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

~Shining Wizard...You're link made me want to revisit the Jonathen Dwyer Highlight Film I had saved...  There has been so much BS on Dwyer's Ga Tech's option Offense, and how much that has benefited him, BUT sorry ALL (to the dwyer naysayers), Take another look at the link provided below...  Personally, I see Dwyer's absurd speed on hitting the hole, Dwyer breaking tackles, and more than anything-Dwyer, when he does get in the open field (whether it be because of HIM or, as the argument apparently goes-Because the Ga Tech's offense)-Jonathen Dwyer's absurd speed and his great field vision to make quick-cuts without slowing down one single bit, MEANS that He Is Gone...

Here's the link...take a look ALL (then tell me if I'm right or wrong here):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3rmS4fh-z4

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Re: First Round Pick We Need To Go RB....:
    I was in the same "we can always find a decent rb in the late rounds/we need to improve the O-line first and then just plug in any rb/Maroney is still our best option at rb in 2010" camp until I saw the Mathews highlight reel.  Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsiEY7ilKcU We need to draft this guy. 
    Posted by ShiningWizard

I watched the video and came away more impressed with the OL than with the RB. Mathews is fast, but a lot of RBs are fast. I am not saying Maroney is great, but he would have done well too with the same open lanes.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

between wizard's video of mathews and laz's video of dwyer, i am for dwyer. he showed a few things that i did not see in the mathews video.
    1) versatility - he can catch, he can run inside or outside
    2) strong - on a couple plays, he dragged along for a few yards, a couple of guys who had their arms wrapped around his lower body
    3) acumen - the weird offense actually might be telling that he can handle complicated schemes

maybe mathews has these qualities too, but they were not in the video.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriothead22. Show Patriothead22's posts

I think they might be able to get Montario Hardesty in the 4th.  If they could get him then, it would be a steal.  I love watching that guy, he has great moves through his blocks, fights for extra yardage, and breaks tackles.  Plus, he comes from the SEC, which has the biggest baddest defenses in the NCAA.

A running back in the first round this year?  No.  Next year? Maybe if Oakland gives us 1st-10th overall,  if Ingram is there for the taking.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

After they draft a RE, ROLB, LOLB, and maybe a CB, pending on what the Pats do with Bodden, A tackle, Left or Right, pending on what they do with Vollmer then they can go after RBs. 

RBs are a want, not a need. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I disagree, RB is  a need when most of your RBs are 30+, your best RB is not currently signed in K Faulk, Maroney is a flop.  You absolutely draft a RB in a deep RB year.  THAT is the value BB looks for and talks about.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

[QUOTE]I disagree, RB is  a need when most of your RBs are 30+, your best RB is not currently signed in K Faulk, Maroney is a flop.  You absolutely draft a RB in a deep RB year.  THAT is the value BB looks for and talks about.
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon[/QUOTE]

Definately NOT in the first or second round, especially if it is a deep RB year....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

I can see running back in the 2nd round. Since the Pats are saying they have a leadership issue on defense I can see them bringing in a couple veterans through Free Agency or Trades to shore up their linebackers and for pass rush. Also the desperately needed 3rd wide receiver can see that also as a Free Agent pickup.

For the Draft I think they'll go RT, DE, RB, TE in the first two rounds. They need to get some more youth in the backfield since Taylor and Morris a very unreliable and Maroney well lets say he may not make it through a full 16 games next year. So they'll bring in someone but Right Tackle I can see gets addressed with our first pick.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

[QUOTE]   Definetly need to upgrade the run game.  LM has shown rare glimpses of talent, but for the most part has been a waste of a pick.
    Posted by farpost[/QUOTE]

You can upgrade the run game by upgrading the O-line....Picking another Rb is a waste of a pick.....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I disagree with whoever said Tebow can be a HB. Did you see the Senior Bowl? His 3 cone time is over a minute! The guy just doesn't have the wheels. Please watch the youtube video of him in the open field against a LB. He looks extremely slow. I get it. He's a big name. That doesn't mean he's going to be a star in the NFL. 

I also think picking a RB in the second round could be a money move. Forte and Johnson were second round guys. A guy like Matthews would be a good pick. Good vision, good skills, and would provide value in the passing game. IMO just having Kaczur on the bench should help the o line, and maybe you can sign a FA center who doesn't constantly get beaten by NT's (Koppen's play has steadily declined if you've noticed). 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I could live with Koppen at C for another year but you might see them draft a player to replace him or one who can play C and OG. I hope they are just looking for one OG though to replace Neal... If they let Mankins walk I am going to be livid! They need to keep him he is the best OG we have had since Hog Hannah.  I can even live with light in his final year he will give everything he has for his last contract and Vollmer can play RT till 2011 then you find a RT and move him to LT.
    As for RB... I love Spiller but I just don't know that the Patriots will use a early pick for that position when there are several decent RB's that can be had later and the 3 to maybe 4 DE/OLB's that could fit the Patriots needs will be gone by the middle of the second round.

And as I have said before in more detail of how it would work financially (everyone sees how it works scheme wise) I would use one of those 3 second round picks to get Boldin from Arizona.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I don't see Tebow in N.E. Great character guy so yeah I see that but they won't draft a QB if that is what your planning to make him to replace Brady for at least 2 probably 3 more years. then you have 2 maybe 3 years to develop that player.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeytank12. Show hockeytank12's posts

The NFL has turned into a pass game. Brady doesn't need a playmaking running back to perform. What the Patriots need in this order is:

1. #3 wide receiver, Donte Stallworth anyone?
    2. pass rushing defensive end, Julius Peppers
    3. middle linebacker, Carlos Dansby
    4. cornerback

Re-signing Lee Boden would be smart too.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

The NFL has turned into a pass game. Brady doesn't need a playmaking running back to perform. What the Patriots need in this order is: 1. #3 wide receiver, Donte Stallworth anyone? 2. pass rushing defensive end, Julius Peppers 3. middle linebacker, Carlos Dansby 4. cornerback Re-signing Lee Boden would be smart too.
    Posted by hockeytank12

I agree, but not in that order....#3WR is not a top priority any position on Defense is a more pressing need....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=1655

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

The NFL has turned into a pass game. Brady doesn't need a playmaking running back to perform. What the Patriots need in this order is: 1. #3 wide receiver, Donte Stallworth anyone? 2. pass rushing defensive end, Julius Peppers 3. middle linebacker, Carlos Dansby 4. cornerback Re-signing Lee Boden would be smart too.
    Posted by hockeytank12

I'd say if we can re-sign Bodden then I wouldn't worry about DB's this year. Focus the rest of the offseason for defense on the front 7. Really see this team adding a couple veteran linebackers and releasing Thomas. Could also see them re-signing Banta-Cain as a pass rush specialist only. Front line they have to franchise Wilfork and hopefully they'll work out a long term deal. I can see a 2nd round pick going to a Defensive End. 

Offense fix the RT and RG, get the 3rd WR that opponent's D's have to respect so they can't load up on Moss. Bring in a TE who can block and catch. Those are the top priorities I see. Running back won't hurt there's just other more important things to focus on.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Laz

First off, thanks for the response and sorry for this late retort.

It seems we agree on the first 4 picks with the exception of the RB where I would want to go CB.  I do see RB as a need but we only have so many picks.  The defense can't stop anybody so I'm giving the offense little help outside of that OG or OT in the 2nd round.  My 4th round is rather hopeless as I would like to see Blount given a look but I just don't see NE going there.

A RB of interest.  Joique Bell out of Wayne State.  He has been invited to the combine.  We can find out more about there.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

An upgrade at RB will help, but not much unless the OL is upgraded as well. I think if a 1st round talent at OG or OT is available at 22 that should be the pick. OLB or DE with the first pick in the 2nd, and RB later in the 2nd. I'd love to see Gerhart.
    Posted by Cyberknot

I think our Oline is already better than average and i don't  really understand why everyone is so down on it. maybe 2007 SB fallout. As of next year, we'll have Vollmer, a steal and a future probowler, at LT. LG is already a probowler, C is good enough, RG needs upgrading and RT will be a capable light in a more natural position. 

I only see the need for one guard, preferably from the draft depending where the value is, and probably some projects in the later rounds. We have much more pressing needs.

I'm a Oline guy; i watch the line, not the ball, when we're on offense. I've also been around long enough to have seen the best Olineman in NFL history, Hog Hannah, pancaking the other guy's LBs and abusing their DEs. I've seen Mr. Hog lay a hit on a safety that airmailed him 5 yards downfield. Poetry in motion. I'd truly love to see another mankins/hannah type stud plugged into RG but i know we have other needs that are more pressing in 2010.

I see RB as our single biggest need. Forget about maroney-baloney, an upgrade at RB is a twofer; we make the offense truly multi-dimensional and we gain the ability to keep the other guy's mannings and breeses sitting on the bench. Having that ability would have won three more games for us this past year alone.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

You're a moron alfie. Drafting a RB is putting a 454 in a Yugo. Koppen can't get it done anymore, same for Light, Neal is flat out done and Connelly is backup.
    So that leaves Mankins (if we sign him) and Vollmer. This whole unit needs an to be upgraded....did you watch the game against the Ravens? their DL destroyed our OL.....moron.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

In Response to Re: First Round Pick We Need To Go RB.... : You can upgrade the run game by upgrading the O-line....Picking another Rb is a waste of a pick.....
    Posted by m1021us

DING DING F'IN DING!!!    WINNER HERE WE HAVE A WINNER

Sections
Shortcuts