First Round Playoff Predictions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonFanInFlorida. Show BostonFanInFlorida's posts

Re: First Round Playoff Predictions

My first thought is that alll of your picks are right but your comment on all away teams winning rings out. My feeling is that at least one home team will win. So, which, at least in my opinion, has the best chance. That would be the Colts. I hate to see the Colts in  because Manning is so dangerous. The Jets are flawed paticuliarly on offense and it seems to me that when Sanchez is rushed, he tends to fall short. Who can rush the passer better than the Colts? So, I will pick the Colts here.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I feel the same way about the Jests/Indy. I would almost rather face Indy, but I can't understand why so many people are taking it as a give that the Jests just roll over. They got beaten bad by two really good teams. 

Indy isn't as good as NE or Chicago.

I do think KC has a real chance to ice Baltimore though. KC is a completely different team at home and on the road. Baltimore is more talented, but I could see their offense struggling a bit against KC in KC where it will be windy, cold and (as always) as hostile and noisy as college stadium.

NO won't walk over the Seahawks, but they will win.

The Packers are a better team than Philly. They win. The Packers only stop when they reach Atlanta ... that will be their graveyard. 

So lets go through it?

In yours round two is:

NE vs Jests Pitt vs Baltimore
    Atlanta vs Pack Bears vs Saints

Mine would have Pitt hosting KC. 

I agree ... road team surprise in the WC, home teams in the divisional and AFC Championship. 

If this pattern is true, then it would underscore the odd nature of seeding divisional winners ahead of WC teams with better records. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

In Response to First Round Playoff Predictions:

New Orleans
    Indy
    Ravens
    Packers

The only shot KC has is perfect weather (no wind) because the Ravens will be loaded up against the run.
    I expect Addai to have a good game against the Jets (run/pass) and Manning to have a field day against the linebackers.
    Best game s/b Eagles-Packers.

(wish the Pats could get a cupcake like the Saints)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nemeses. Show Nemeses's posts

Saints
    Indy
    Ravens
    Packers

Saints will win in the most lopsided wild card game ever. Seattle only got in because they played most of their games on the left coast. I say Seattle doesnt even sniff the the endzone.

While I feel the Jests are the better overall team I just can't pick against Manning. Now granted the Dolts have just played 4 playoff games already but, I just don't see the Jests shutting down the run AND Manning.

The Chiefs, really? Another NFL western conference wanna be now playing in the big boys league. The Ravens are going to smack the crap out of Cassell. They'll probably stack 8-9 in the box and dare Cassell to bet them.

The Packers are the better overall team and I have a feeling we are gonna see them again reeeaaal sooooon.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Not feeling the Chefs love at all. K.C. beat exactly one team -- one team -- that finished with a winning record this season -- that being the Jekyll and Hyde San Dago Chargers(9-7). It's tempting to call the debacle against Oakland an aberration against a fierce, long-time division rival, but the truth is, the Chefs just plain blow. The only reason they're in the playoffs is because somebody had to be. Coming out of the weakest division in the AFC off a schedule that pitted them against the weakest division in the NFC, the Chefs are an unconvincing mirage. I expect Baltimore to dominate both lines of scrimmage in this game. Without the ability to run -- and K.C. will not run the ball against the Ravens -- it will fall to Matt Cassel to energize the Chefs' offense. Look, I know a lot of people have a place in their heart for this guy, but look at the competition and look at his rating. Sure, he's come a long way in a couple years, but in the immortal words of Denny Green, Matt Cassell is who we thought he was. The Chefs have those proverbial two chances against Baltimore, and Slim is packing his bags. 

Baltimore 20 Kansas City 6

I'm coming around (staying around, really) to the idea that I want Peyton Manning out of the playoffs. This guy makes me nervous, and I don't trust the zebras when he's in the area. The Colts have looked pretty pedestrian (for them) of late, and the temptation here is to believe that they are ripe for the picking. Believe that at your peril. If The Colts can make New Jersey respect the run at all, and give Peyton a place to stand for a few seconds, they'll score on the Jests. When push came to shove at the end of the season, we saw Indy rise up and stuff the run agains two supposedly pretty good running teams in Jacksonville (hah!) and Oakland (snicker). If they can throw a lasso around the Jests run game and force Sanchez to beat them with his arm, I like the Colts big here. The question against Indy, as always, is: Can The Sanchize put up enough points to hold Manning off once he figures out a way to crack the New Jersey secondary (which he will)? Everything I know about both Sanchez and Manning suggests the answer is "no."

Indy 24 New Jersey 20

Remember the good old days, when The Iggles beat the Redskins 427-6 on Monday Night Football earlier this season, and everybody had Philly jitterbugging all the way to the Super Bowl and Mickey Vick as the de facto MVP? Those were good times, weren't they? Today . . .   not so much. Two weeks ago, with a chance to snare the #2 seed in the NFC and a generous assist from the league -- which moved the game to a Tuesday night so the delicate Iggs would not have to play in a few inches of snow -- Philly promptly and spectacularly fell on its collective face, getting embarassed by Joe "Just the Facts" Webb (making his first ever NFL start) and those mighty Minnesota Vikings. The Greatest American Dog Killing Hero sat out the season finale after the beating the Vikings gave him, and Philly appears to be reeling at just the right time . . .   to host one of the hottest team in the conference. Now, granted, the Packers didn't look like much in squeaking by the Chicago Bears (who aren't much themselves) to ease into the tournament last week, but Green Bay matches up well with Philly and teams with the personnel make-up to pressure Vick from odd angles and give him different looks can essentially grind the Iggs' big-play offense to a halt -- so long as you keep Vick in front of you. I'm not really sure why Green Bay's offense looked so anemic against Chicago's generally predictable coverages last week. It would be helpful if the Packers could generate some kind of a running game to help keep Aaron Rodgers in the upright position, and I think it's worth pointing out that Rodgers -- for all the hype you may or may not have heard -- has yet to win a playoff game in his career. Still, I think New Jersey (blue) and Minnesota showed how to beat the Iggs (even though the Jints didn't actually get it done) and I see two teams going in different directions here.

Packers 27 Iggles 24

Sometimes home-field advantage is everything -- as it was in the tooth-and-nail NFC West Championship Game last Sunday Night -- and sometimes it is nothing, as will be the case when the Saints come marching into Seattle this weekend. I would love nothing more than to see the Seattle Slewhawks rise up righteous and smite N'awlins with majesty, thumbing their nose at Roger Goodell all the while.

But they won't.

Saints 34 Seahawks  - 4

(I subtracted four points from Seattle after I read how much they gave up to get Charlie Whitehurst)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehub. Show thehub's posts

Jets at Colts

Jets can be very good but have not been consistent enough throughout the season. The Colts and Peyton will win this game at home. Peyton will make the WR and TE look very good.

Pick: Colts 27 - 20

Balt at KC

The ravens was my team to represent the AFC in the super bowl at the start of the season. Very good wr's and TE. Add Ray Rice and a steady Joe at QB and I though they Would move the ball well. The D is getting old and reminds me of the last year of the Pats D with Teddy and Junior at LB. KC has very good coaching and a mistake free QB, great running game and some exciting new db's.

Pick KC - 24 - 17

GB at Philly

Vick can be awesome at times and he may win this game. GB has been awesome at time as well. Who shows up the GB pass rush or Vick.

Pick GB - 31 - 28

NO at Seattle

Really, Pick is NO running away. Did you see that game against STL? Seattle is very bad.

NO 38 -17

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

I don't get why either AFC game is an easy one to call. I think they're both very tough calls.

I'm picking both upsets actually: Chiefs over Ravens and Jets over Colts.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

NYJEST over INDY in a low scoring game
    Saints by 20 @SEA
    BAL over KC rolling, the Chefs have sputtered lately & BAL as evidenced by last years whoopin' is your biggest, they are again your biggest threat
    I like the Iggles over the Pack in a close game

Bet the farm on a two teamer, the Saints & Ravens both on the road

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from canpatfan. Show canpatfan's posts

Geographer 91 - let's hope you're a prophet!

In Response to Re: First Round Playoff Predictions:
    [QUOTE]Homer Votes : ) Jets over Indy due to a Pick 6 in the 4th quarter Chefs over Ravens with Charles getting 2 TDs and the ravens missing a last minute FG Packers over Eagles thanks to a great contain on Vick and lots of tackles for a loss Saints over Seattle because frankly its Seattle Patriots over Jets in a rain/sleet game Steelers over Chefs as Cassel runs into a good secondary and Charles lets him down. Some games are played in the NFC Pats defeat the Stealers in what ends up being another snow game rout Falcons beat Packers on a FG Patriots defeat the Falcons 31 - 21 in 2011 Patriots defeat Packers 21 - 10 in 2012 Patriots defeat Bears 17 - 7 in 2013
    Posted by Geographer91[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

I don't even think the Saints will rolls the Hawks like people think they will. I give the Seahawks a pretty good chance.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

The Saints remind me of last year's Patriots team: can't run the ball, offense seems out of sync, QB is making some unusual mistakes, limping into the playoffs, and yet everyone still expects them to go to the Super Bowl.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]The Saints remind me of last year's Patriots team: can't run the ball, offense seems out of sync, QB is making some unusual mistakes, limping into the playoffs, and yet everyone still expects them to go to the Super Bowl.
    Posted by apdynasty23[/QUOTE]

The Week 17 loss to Tampa Bay at home was puzzling, after defeating the Falcons in Atlanta.

My guess is there simply aren't any good teams in the NFC.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from canpatfan. Show canpatfan's posts

Here we go with my predictions (with a twist) - for what it's worth:

S'Hawks SHOCK the Saints --- NOT!  No chance of that.

winner: Saints (game summary -Saints looked good against a bad team - people not sold on them returning to SB)

Indy vs. Green NJ

winner: (C)Dolts (game summary - Dolts looked shaky at times but Manning took Sanchize back to school when it counted - however can the Colts bury Steelers in their own backyard?)

Ravens vs. Chiefs 

winner: Chiefs (game summary - the Western Pats will find a way to get up for this game - credit the experience of Crennel and Weiss.  The Ravens will blame their preoccupation with a hate for Brady for the loss.  BUT can the Chiefs do it again to the AFC champs??)

Packers vs. Eagles

winner: Eagles (game summary - a heartbreaking loss for the Pack - who seem to fall just short when they need to get over a hump.  BUT they expose some weaknesses in the Eagles secondary)     

In Response to First Round Playoff Predictions:
    [QUOTE]     Though there appear to be a couple of good match-ups this weekend, for me, the play-offs don't start until the coming weekend after this one, when the Patriots take the field. Nonetheless, here are my picks: 1.) (11-5) New Orleans Saints @ (7-9) Seattle Seahawks (+10.5): The Seahawks have no business being in the play-offs. The main problem they have is at QB. Matt Hasselbeck has not aged gracefully, and is bothered by back problems. After seeing Charlie Whitehurst play, one has to wonder why the 'Hawks thought him to be worth trading picks #40 and #60 in last years' draft, plus a 3rd rounder this season....plus sign him to a two year, $8mil. contract: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5005254 . The Saints offense isn't what it was last season, but their defense has been playing better in recent weeks. I can't see the 'Hawks scoring enough points to be competitive: PICK: Saints; 2.) (11-5) New York Jets (+2.5) @ (10-6) Indianapolis Colts: The Colts surprisingly struggled last week against the Titans at home...despite the fact that they faced missing the play-offs with a loss. The Jets of course are better than the Titans...and have a much better secondary. Nonetheless, Indy has a huge advantage at QB, as Peyton Manning will be matched up against the erratic Mark Sanchez. I can see the Jets winning this game outright. If the spread were 3 points or more, I'd pick them. But, Indy at home, just giving 2.5 points? Still...I'll go with my gut feeling: PICK: Jets; 3.) (12-4) Baltimore Ravens @ (10-6) Kansas City Chiefs (+3): The Chiefs looked awful last week in letting us all down by losing at home to the Raiders, 31-10. I can't see the Chiefs mustering up enough offense to beat the Buzzards: PICK: Ravens; 4.) (10-6) Green Bay Packers (+3) @ (10-6) Philadelphia Eagles: It doesn't matter where this game is being played...the Packers are the better team...especially with Michael Vick still hurting: PICK: Packers.         Can all four road teams really win? Thoughts/predictions?     
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: First Round Playoff Predictions : The Week 17 loss to Tampa Bay at home was puzzling, after defeating the Falcons in Atlanta. My guess is there simply aren't any good teams in the NFC.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

I agree BUT I fear the Packers. They have "6th seed-getting-hot-at-the-right-time" written all over them...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[QUOTE]I don't even think the Saints will rolls the Hawks like people think they will. I give the Seahawks a pretty good chance.
    Posted by apdynasty23[/QUOTE]
    The Hawks are good against the short pass and suspect against
     the deep ball, Brees will air it out. The Hawks will be fortunate to be in double digits against the NO D

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

Colts 38 Jests 20
    Ravens 38 Chiefs 10
    Packers 21 Eagles 9
    Saints 30 Seahawks 26

Steelers 27                         Falcons 22
    Colts 24                             Packers 20

Patriots 23                         Saints 28
    Ravens 17                          Bears 17

Pats 33 Steelers 20              Falcons 27 Saints 23

Pats 34 Falcons 17!!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I posted this two days ago.  The Packers are way underrated by the betting public and that's my game of the week.  The Colts are overrated and that game is a pick-em. 

http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a9690Discussion%3a759d735a-8367-4847-aeb8-3f6ea51409e1

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

[QUOTE]Colts 38 Jests 20 Ravens 38 Chiefs 10 Packers 21 Eagles 9 Saints 30 Seahawks 26 Steelers 27                         Falcons 22 Colts 24                             Packers 20 Patriots 23                         Saints 28 Ravens 17                          Bears 17 Pats 33 Steelers 20              Falcons 27 Saints 23          Pats 34 Falcons 17!!!!
    Posted by jam757[/QUOTE]

No way Baltimore drops 38 on the Chiefs. The Chiefs don't turn the ball over and the Ravens struggle scoring as it is...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]I feel the same way about the Jests/Indy. I would almost rather face Indy, but I can't understand why so many people are taking it as a give that the Jests just roll over. They got beaten bad by two really good teams.  Indy isn't as good as NE or Chicago. I   do think KC has a real chance to ice Baltimore though. KC is a completely different team at home and on the road. Baltimore is more talented, but I could see their offense struggling a bit against KC in KC where it will be windy, cold and (as always) as hostile and noisy as college stadium. NO won't walk over the Seahawks, but they will win. The Packers are a better team than Philly. They win. The Packers only stop when they reach Atlanta ... that will be their graveyard.  So lets go through it? In yours round two is: NE vs Jests Pitt vs Baltimore Atlanta vs Pack Bears vs Saints Mine would have Pitt hosting KC.  I agree ... road team surprise in the WC, home teams in the divisional and AFC Championship.  If this pattern is true, then it would underscore the odd nature of seeding divisional winners ahead of WC teams with better records. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

Happy New Year, "Z"!!

The main reason I'm picking the Jets is the way Indy played in last weeks' game against the Titans. In what was a must win for Indy at home, they barely eked out a 3 point win...gift wrapped for them by the Titans, via a fumbled center/QB exchange. If, with their backs to the wall, the best the Colts could do was luck out a win against a sub .500 football team...I don't see them beating the s better, more physical opponent, like the Jets.

As for Baltimore vs. Kansas City, the Chiefs looked awful last week in their 31-10 loss at home to the Raiders. The Chiefs offense is limited, and their DL seems to have trouble stopping the run. I can't see them beating a physical, veteran team like the Buzzards.

Seattle is awful. I don't see them scoring more than one TD against the Saints' "D". Drew Brees will take the crowd out of the game early.

I do agree that the Packers are better than Philly, and can be in 2010 what the Giants became in 2007.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Not feeling the Chefs love at all. K.C. beat exactly one team -- one team -- that finished with a winning record this season -- that being the Jekyll and Hyde San Dago Chargers(9-7). It's tempting to call the debacle against Oakland an aberration against a fierce, long-time division rival, but the truth is, the Chefs just plain blow. The only reason they're in the playoffs is because somebody had to be. Coming out of the weakest division in the AFC off a schedule that pitted them against the weakest division in the NFC, the Chefs are an unconvincing mirage. I expect Baltimore to dominate both lines of scrimmage in this game. Without the ability to run -- and K.C. will not run the ball against the Ravens -- it will fall to Matt Cassel to energize the Chefs' offense. Look, I know a lot of people have a place in their heart for this guy, but look at the competition and look at his rating. Sure, he's come a long way in a couple years, but in the immortal words of Denny Green, Matt Cassell is who we thought he was. The Chefs have those proverbial two chances against Baltimore, and Slim is packing his bags.
    Baltimore 20 Kansas City 6

RESPONSE: "...and slim is packing his bags" Good one, Mike...LOL!!! 

I'm coming around (staying around, really) to the idea that I want Peyton Manning out of the playoffs. This guy makes me nervous, and I don't trust the zebras when he's in the area. The Colts have looked pretty pedestrian (for them) of late, and the temptation here is to believe that they are ripe for the picking. Believe that at your peril. If The Colts can make New Jersey respect the run at all, and give Peyton a place to stand for a few seconds, they'll score on the Jests. When push came to shove at the end of the season, we saw Indy rise up and stuff the run agains two supposedly pretty good running teams in Jacksonville (hah!) and Oakland (snicker). If they can throw a lasso around the Jests run game and force Sanchez to beat them with his arm, I like the Colts big here. The question against Indy, as always, is: Can The Sanchize put up enough points to hold Manning off once he figures out a way to crack the New Jersey secondary (which he will)? Everything I know about both Sanchez and Manning suggests the answer is "no." Indy 24 New Jersey 20

RESPONSE: This will be an interesting game, Mike. As I stated in my original post, my mind says to go with Peyton and Indy, especially since the Jets are only being given 2.5 points. But, based on how Indy barely got by Tennessee last week, my gut tells me to pick the Jets to pull the upset, and ger a re-match with the Pats in Foxboro. But, whoever wins this game, I'll be happy. As you-all know , I despise the Indianapolis Colts, and don't really have a warm spot in my heart for the Green Goblins, either. After this weekend, one of them will be gone.

Remember the good old days, when The Iggles beat the Redskins 427-6 on Monday Night Football earlier this season, and everybody had Philly jitterbugging all the way to the Super Bowl and Mickey Vick as the de facto MVP? Those were good times, weren't they? Today . . .   not so much. Two weeks ago, with a chance to snare the #2 seed in the NFC and a generous assist from the league -- which moved the game to a Tuesday night so the delicate Iggs would not have to play in a few inches of snow -- Philly promptly and spectacularly fell on its collective face, getting embarassed by Joe "Just the Facts" Webb (making his first ever NFL start) and those mighty Minnesota Vikings. The Greatest American Dog Killing Hero sat out the season finale after the beating the Vikings gave him, and Philly appears to be reeling at just the right time . . .   to host one of the hottest team in the conference. Now, granted, the Packers didn't look like much in squeaking by the Chicago Bears (who aren't much themselves) to ease into the tournament last week, but Green Bay matches up well with Philly and teams with the personnel make-up to pressure Vick from odd angles and give him different looks can essentially grind the Iggs' big-play offense to a halt -- so long as you keep Vick in front of you. I'm not really sure why Green Bay's offense looked so anemic against Chicago's generally predictable coverages last week. It would be helpful if the Packers could generate some kind of a running game to help keep Aaron Rodgers in the upright position, and I think it's worth pointing out that Rodgers -- for all the hype you may or may not have heard -- has yet to win a playoff game in his career. Still, I think New Jersey (blue) and Minnesota showed how to beat the Iggs (even though the Jints didn't actually get it done) and I see two teams going in different directions here. Packers 27 Iggles 24

RESPONSE: "...Joe (just the facts) Webb". You're on a roll, Mike...LOL!!! The Eagles have lots of injury issues, with MLB Bradley out, Asante Samuel playing with a bad knee, and Vick less than 100%. Furthermore, the Packers beat Philly in Philly earlier this season, 27-20, and have a better defense. 

Sometimes home-field advantage is everything -- as it was in the tooth-and-nail NFC West Championship Game last Sunday Night -- and sometimes it is nothing, as will be the case when the Saints come marching into Seattle this weekend. I would love nothing more than to see the Seattle Slewhawks rise up righteous and smite N'awlins with majesty, thumbing their nose at Roger Goodell all the while. But they won't. Saints 34 Seahawks  - 4 (I subtracted four points from Seattle after I read how much they gave up to get Charlie Whitehurst)

RESPONSE: "...Saints 34 Seahawks  - 4 (I subtracted four points from Seattle after I read how much they gave up to get Charlie Whitehurst)...LOL!!! As I stated above, you're on a roll, Mike!! 
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

Happy New Year, Mike!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]I didn't expect to see a lot of love for KC but with the Ravens looking like they did against Cincy, and only the bafoonacy of Carson Palmer keeping the Bungals from winning I'm not convinced the Raven can do it. -Cassel is ranked 8th overall in the league with a 93.0% passer rating. It's enough to be better than Peyton Manning, Drew Brees and Matt Ryan. -Dwayne Bowe led the league in TD receptions -Jamaal Charles had just short of 1,500yds rushing ranking 3rd overall Their D is ranked 15th overall with Baltimore's ranking 13th so not much of a difference there. Let's just say I wouldn't be putting a lot on this but there's no way the home teams don't at least split.
    Posted by Sam-Adams[/QUOTE]

Happy New Year, Sam!!

I have mixed feelings about this game. On one hand, I don't want to see Matt Cassel play against his old team, whose coach wears a hoodie. I'd rather see "strangers" beat Cassel, than old friends....and I would like to see the Pats get another shot at the Buzzards, and avenge what happened last year.

Then again, I despise three NFL teams...my #1 hated team being the Colts, and my 2nd most hated teams, 2(a) and 2(b), being the Jets and the Buzzards. So, if the Chiefs win, I'll shed no tears.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Indy will beat the Jests in the Drum like a drum all day long!
    Saints are only head and shoulders better than the Seahawks,they will leave the local fans Sleepless in Seattle.
    The Packers and the Eagles might be the best game of the weekend If it's freezing cold I take the Packers but if it's reasonably mild (30 degrees or so) then it's the Eagles.
    Finally it's the criminals Vs. the Patriots west,I'll take the Reproduction team the Chiefs send Flacco and company home with a loss,Bye Bye Ray  Ray....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

All my picks are against the spread:

Saints over the Seahawks ( take the under +/- 44.5)
    Indy over the Jets ( take the over +/- 44.5)
    Ravens over the Chiefs (take the under +/- 40.5)
    Philly over the Packers (take the over +/- 46.5)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]What I also picked up on is how the Ravens were injured. Reed has rib problems, Oher and Birk have a bad knee, Suggs with a thigh, Ngata with a thigh, McClain with a back, Mason with an ankle.... Maybe we do want to see the Ravens??
    Posted by Sam-Adams[/QUOTE]

Everybody is whanged, bhanged and shang-a-langed this time of year. This is why dependable depth -- as we talk about here all  the time -- is the essential key to the long-term success of any team. This is also why scheming and preparation become so much more vitally important as the list of walking wounded grows and the level of competition rises. The most fundamentally sound team -- from the top to the bottom of its roster -- has the greatest advantage this time of year, and that is a by-product of coaching and what I call identity.

Do you really expect any team to be more prepared than Belichick and the Pats?

I don't.

25. This post has been removed.