First Signing????

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mpb2008. Show mpb2008's posts

Re: First Signing????

This just does not sound right.  He is average at best, not even sure he is top 10 CB FA this year.  This seems like a very big leap if true.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mpb2008. Show mpb2008's posts

Not sure I would be happy with this, I am not sure he is even top 10 CB FA this year.  Not for nothing but I hope you are way wrong on this.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

Personally, I could see us signing him, but not for that much money. He's a decent/good #3 CB (aka Arrington replacement if he isn't brought back) who would be a slight upgrade over Arrington.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

In response to mpb2008's comment:

This just does not sound right.  He is average at best, not even sure he is top 10 CB FA this year.  This seems like a very big leap if true.

A very big leap by Jenkins may reach the chin of Vincent Jackson.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to jri37's comment:

Just  heard from a relative in Tampa that Mike Jenkins will be signing with the Pat's on Tuesday. Says the deal is 5 yrs 30/32 mil range. I can't be 100% sure  but it seems to make sense seeing Jenkins lives in Tampa and this relative is pretty connected.

Interesting.  Thanks for sharing.  I know this is coming to you second hand so I will take that for what it's worth and certainly I won't be bashing you if it's not true.  You completly stated up front that it's second hand info, gave your source, and that you can't be 100% positive about it.

I hope this isnt true, that's a big chunk of money for him too much!!  However, it seems to fit the CB's that BB like to sign.  Short CB's.  We need taller CB's then 5'10". 

One thing that I has me a bit leary about this rumor is that NO teams are allowed to have anything in place with any player until 4pm Tuesday.  I'm sure the Patriots would be very careful during this time and make sure they don't cross any lines before it's time and if by chance they did I really don't see them allowing it to get out like that.

Even though I hope it's not true it will certainly be interesting to see if this happens.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Rather have them ink Talib for that dough....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to AyyyBoston's comment:

Personally, I could see us signing him, but not for that much money. He's a decent/good #3 CB (aka Arrington replacement if he isn't brought back) who would be a slight upgrade over Arrington.

Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking if it is true.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to jri37's comment:

Just  heard from a relative in Tampa that Mike Jenkins will be signing with the Pat's on Tuesday. Says the deal is 5 yrs 30/32 mil range. I can't be 100% sure  but it seems to make sense seeing Jenkins lives in Tampa and this relative is pretty connected.

Thank you for reporting this and it's second hand so I'm going to take it as that. It just seems so much money for a half decent #2/3 CB. I've seen Jenkins play and he's a good cover corner but isn't the best tackler and makes mental mistakes. I wouldn't trust this guy on and edge by himself which to me he'd be an Arrington replacement as a slot CB. There is no way I would pay a slot CB that much. Seems like a Bodden type of leap imo if true

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

Seems awfully bloated. I don't like the choice and the numbers sound off.  It might make more sense if they signed he and Talib, though.

I still think Talib ends up back here. I don't think teams will risk the big, long term deal, so that should help BB in negotiations.

Cost does seem a bit high to me too, but jri said his friend wasn't so confident about the amount.  I like Jenkins and Talib a lot. That gives us one proven number 1 corner (Talib) and another guy who is either a number 2 or good number 3.  With Dennard and Dowling in the mix, I'd be feeling pretty good about the corner position. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tydog. Show Tydog's posts

I was hoping that Josh Cribbs was going to be the first signing. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from braunzy. Show braunzy's posts

Well with McKlevin getting the type of contract he got and Arrington asking for 3/18, i think that is the price nowadays for a player like Mike Jenkins.  

Can't say I've paid much attention to him over the years but from the sounds of it, he could either be anywhere from our #1 corner to our slot guy.

I guess it is the price you pay for not drafting DBs well

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I pray this is not true. I watched Jenkins in Dallas for years and is is just not that good. This would be a disaster waiting to happen. He is no better at corner than Gregory at safety...another FA waste of money. Too many better cb 's on the market than to take Jenkins.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from braunzy. Show braunzy's posts

In response to braunzy's comment:

Well with McKlevin getting the type of contract he got and Arrington asking for 3/18, i think that is the price nowadays for a player like Mike Jenkins.  

Can't say I've paid much attention to him over the years but from the sounds of it, he could either be anywhere from our #1 corner to our slot guy.

I don't think one team's poor salary allocation sets the market.  McKelvin was like a top 15 pick a few years back and is a nickel.   Just because they went to pay for his kick returns and have him be a nickel and set that salary, doesn't mean that is the market.

This is the flaw with some GMs. One might overpay or completely screw up and then others think that is the market. It's not.

Let the dumb teams be dumb.

No question that McKelvin's contract was dumb.  

But, I do think the market is pretty high for any team though if they want to sign a cb in FA, if the pats want a corner in FA they will have to spend, and it probably will be overspending even as a "smart team" (as most of the other teams will be offering inflated contracts to these guys). 

I just look at the contracts like Eric Wright from last year, or what Chris Houston will end up getting from some team... It's not looking good for the patriots... Teams in general are giving average corners probowl-caliber-player money.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

I pray this is not true. I watched Jenkins in Dallas for years and is is just not that good. This would be a disaster waiting to happen. He is no better at corner than Gregory at safety...another FA waste of money. Too many better cb 's on the market than to take Jenkins.

I'll say this: If this info is legit, Welker is gone and they're doing something else at WR with Talib back with this Jenkins move.

I don't buy it, but if they were to maneuver in another way without Welker and bolster the CB spot 2 x over with Dennard still in the mix, then it's hard to argue with it.  

There are so many combinations of moves right now for many of the roster spots that need addressing.

Russ...you are assuming they sign Talib in this scenario with Jenkins? I agree, Jenkins to replace Arrington would be good, but not to lock down the other side opposite Dennard.

what probability are you assigning on Welker leaving? All assumptions are that he stays given Brady's restructuring...do you not think that the case?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Seems awfully bloated. I don't like the choice and the numbers sound off.  It might make more sense if they signed he and Talib, though.

I still think Talib ends up back here. I don't think teams will risk the big, long term deal, so that should help BB in negotiations.

If true I doubt it's for that much $$$ an I also say if this is a done deal I'm guessing they either re-sign Talib and/or get another FA CB.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Just don't think this makes sense on day 1 of FA. If the numbers were 5/22 I could believe it, but going after a mid level CB with a fairly high contract at the start of free agency doesn't seem like a BB move. There are maybe 10-15 other FA CBs that grade out as well or better and there aren't that many teams in the market with money to burn and in deserate need of a CB upgrade. And I don't remember BB ever praising him to the skies so not sure I believe an 'infatuation' with him like with Reed or even Ocho.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from braunzy. Show braunzy's posts

I don't think one team's poor salary allocation sets the market.  McKelvin was like a top 15 pick a few years back and is a nickel.   Just because they went to pay for his kick returns and have him be a nickel and set that salary, doesn't mean that is the market.

This is the flaw with some GMs. One might overpay or completely screw up and then others think that is the market. It's not.

But, I do think the market is pretty high for any team though if they want to sign a cb in FA, if the pats want a corner in FA they will have to spend, and it probably will be overspending even as a "smart team" (as most of the other teams will be offering inflated contracts to these guys). 

I just look at the contracts like Eric Wright from last year, or what Chris Houston will end up getting from some team... It's not looking good for the patriots... Teams in general are giving average corners probowl-caliber-player money.

Totally disagree.   It's looking very good for the Pats.

Desperate teams do desperate things and then the market settles. The other element is you can't compare where one team is in their chances at a SB run and where NE is. That element also factors into the market.

OK.

But you could argue that the Pats are desperate for a corner after their early round misses and doing a mid-season trade with the Bucs and ESPECIALLY if they are signing a guy like Jenkins for 6 million dollars a year...

I agree that there is a smart way to do bussiness in free agency, and it is different for the patriots as they are only a couple pieces away from another championship.

My point is, if they want a corner it is not going to be cheap. If it means getting a shut down corner for 10 million a year and they win a superbowl, great.  If they don't do anything to the position they probably still will win a playoff game or two. 

I don't see any of the possible #1 caliber corners in the FA pool getting less than 6-8 million a year and that is what the Pats need, hopefully they find the hidden gem that nobody knew about or offered a contract to and so they get him for real cheap, but I'm not holding my breath.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from braunzy. Show braunzy's posts

Totally disagree.   It's looking very good for the Pats.

Desperate teams do desperate things and then the market settles. The other element is you can't compare where one team is in their chances at a SB run and where NE is. That element also factors into the market.

OK.

But you could argue that the Pats are desperate for a corner after their early round misses and doing a mid-season trade with the Bucs and ESPECIALLY if they are signing a guy like Jenkins for 6 million dollars a year...

I agree that there is a smart way to do bussiness in free agency, and it is different for the patriots as they are only a couple pieces away from another championship.

My point is, if they want a corner it is not going to be cheap. If it means getting a shut down corner for 10 million a year and they win a superbowl, great.  If they don't do anything to the position they probably still will win a playoff game or two. 

I don't see any of the possible #1 caliber corners in the FA pool getting less than 6-8 million a year and that is what the Pats need, hopefully they find the hidden gem that nobody knew about or offered a contract to and so they get him for real cheap, but I'm not holding my breath.

It will be cheap, because the amount of teams cutting CBs like Jenkins and whoever else once they realize how screwed they are before the draft, will settle the market down.

I am telling you, the McKelvin deal is a major panic deal by Buffalo.   Anyone signing a nickel at 5 mil per is a moron.

This is the deepest secondary FA period without a cap boost, arugably since the cap period started in 1993.

The demand won't spike the market, because it's flooded. Mike Wallace will make far more money than he's worth than a Rodgers-Cromartie at CB should at his position.

I hope your right! I’m all for the second, third or fourth wave of free agency and let the other teams overpay for players.

This does seem like a great year to need CBs, I like the idea of adding some veterans that maybe aren't as athletic as they once were, but could add some stability and smarts to the position that would hopefully come cheap.

And yeah, Mike Wallace has picked the right year to be asking for a ludicrous contract, someone is going to overpay big time.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

If they sign Jenkins at or near that money it's not to be a back up, nor would he be. The guy ran a 4.3 at the combine, was a number 1 pick, is a solid 200 pounds and on a team with a great pass rush would be a starting corner, Dallas wasn't that defense.

Talib is obviously asking for way too much, Jenkins doesn't have the baggage hanging over him that Talib does and had an injury filled season the year before last but was healthy the years leading up to that and made the Pro Bowl.  

Dallas is completely dysfunctional with their owner as the GM, this would be another value signing that the moaners here are knocking, but we'd be getting a Pro Bowl caliber player when his stock is low.

Now all we need is a great pass rush...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

If legit, and I have no reason to not believe you, this is exactly what I feared was going to happen. Middling money spent on middling players who in this system have high failure rates. 

CB market is going to be crazy. The "glut" IMO will mean nothing. Talib 5/$45 and Arrington 3/$18 seems very real

concur

nfl.com rates jenkins just below arrington or 16th rated cb in fa