Fitzy dreams put to rest I'd say.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AFNAV130. Show AFNAV130's posts

Fitzy dreams put to rest I'd say.

Per PFT.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/04/cardinals-larry-fitzgerald-agree-to-restructured-contract/

Unless it makes him more tradeable. Which I doubt. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Footballexpert45. Show Footballexpert45's posts

Re: Fitzy dreams put to rest I'd say.

Fitz isn't coming to Foxboro, people need too stop this nonsense.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

How about anothe runlikely scenario, but a bit more likely.....Andre Johnson? 

Yes, he is 32 years old, but despite that and incredibly bad QB play, last year he caught 109 passes for 1,407 yards and 5 TDs.

He has also said he is open to a trade, I think he realizes he has a few prime years left and is unlikely to win a ring with the Texans likely starting a rookie QB next season. Pls with O'Brien now the head coach, I think this opens up a wide range of possibilities. 

Let's say Edelman is almost certain to walk, but O'Brien wants him and doesn't want to chance another team moving on him. Would he be willing to pay a franchise tag price for Edelman until they can work out a long-term deal? If so, Bill tags Edelman, then ships him and a mid-rounder to the Texans for Andre? Would work well for both teams, Pats won't be able to retain Edelman, but he is a good young player to grow up in the Texans system with a young QB. The Pats get an experienced WR with 7 1,000 yard seasons to his name, that has a skillset different from any player on their roster.

Keep in mind, I have no clue what Johnson's cap charge is for this coming season, and of course they would have to make the cap room to tag Edelman, could probably do it by dropping Soap and A Wilson. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MileHighMike. Show MileHighMike's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to FishTaco64's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yes, he is 32 years old, but despite that and incredibly bad QB play, last year he caught 109 passes for 1,407 yards and 5 TDs.

He has also said he is open to a trade, I think he realizes he has a few prime years left and is unlikely to win a ring with the Texans likely starting a rookie QB next season. Pls with O'Brien now the head coach, I think this opens up a wide range of possibilities. 

Let's say Edelman is almost certain to walk, but O'Brien wants him and doesn't want to chance another team moving on him. Would he be willing to pay a franchise tag price for Edelman until they can work out a long-term deal? If so, Bill tags Edelman, then ships him and a mid-rounder to the Texans for Andre? Would work well for both teams, Pats won't be able to retain Edelman, but he is a good young player to grow up in the Texans system with a young QB. The Pats get an experienced WR with 7 1,000 yard seasons to his name, that has a skillset different from any player on their roster.

Keep in mind, I have no clue what Johnson's cap charge is for this coming season, and of course they would have to make the cap room to tag Edelman, could probably do it by dropping Soap and A Wilson. 

[/QUOTE]

His contract is as bad.  It ain't happening. I noticed Roddy White and Atlanta are "working" on an extension restructure.

That's really where BB could swoop in, right there.  32, contract expiring, Julio Jones due, Atlanta may value a draft pick instead.

[/QUOTE]

It's much better to sign 3 or 4 guys at cheaper money that can't stay on the field or produce than a guy like LF.  You're an idiot.  Speaking of bad contracts, think BB will go to the well named Tom Brady AGAIN this year so he can afford to sign the draft class?

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MileHighMike. Show MileHighMike's posts

[QUOTE]

^ Let us know when you actually make a point, Bustchise. You're a Jets fan who spent 3 and 4 years on here defending Bustchise himself, only to get caught using a board name of "Bustchise".

THe irony.

You have no business calling anyone an idiot, especially more intelligent people who happen to be Pats fans. lmao

[/QUOTE]

Defending Bustchsie?  What are you blathering about?  And you are an idiot.  You the idiot that called Drew Bledsoe a bust.  You're the idiot that said Curtis Martin couldn't catch passes, you're the idiot that claimed McCourty was better than Revis, you're the idiot that said a mark of a great D is when they give up a 120+ rating to an opposing QB, you're the idiot that claimed Brady made BB draft players, you're the idiot that claimed the patsies had the best D in the AFC and on and on and on.  You aren't just AN idiot. You are the idiot.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

We just watched the greatest offense ever get demolished in the SB by a good defense and you guys still wanted another expensive offensive player that would take money from the defense?

Gimme a break, you can put All-Stars at every positon and we'll always lose to a defense that can slow us down.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

We just watched the greatest offense ever get demolished in the SB by a good defense and you guys still wanted another expensive offensive player that would take money from the defense?

Gimme a break, you can put All-Stars at every positon and we'll always lose to a defense that can slow us down.

[/QUOTE] I think the best way for the Patriots to get better is to strengthen the weak poinfsa and then work on the glamour boys.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

The D needs upgrades at Strong Safety and Defensive Tackle

The O needs quality depth at TE and the interior O line

No reason these issues can't be addressed simultaneously IMO

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This....and I'm SHOCKED by the way that many can't see this.....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats-bilbo. Show Pats-bilbo's posts

Pats are not going to spend big on a receiver... They have a lot of young guys and if they think they will progress next year it is not going to happen... We need to add some aggression and intimidation to the team that brings it in big games....

We need

1. Hard hitting Safety to intimadate the over the middle pass

2. DL help that can pressure the opposing QB up the middle, even against elite linemen

3. OL we need people to stop the other team's pressure and impose on their D line against the top interior pass rushers. They need to be able to open holes and make our run game a threat against the best lines.

4. We need one receiver to make teams respect that our passing game is a threat. Gronk could be that but can he get healthy and stay that way? Edelman or Amendola can be the possession guy and Boyce could also emerge in this type of roll. But we need a bigger faster guy to make the D respect our deep threat and open the field more.

These ideas are not because we suck or we are doomed. They are part of the process of improving. We have been to three straight AFCC games. This is not an easy accomplishment especially with all the changes the team has gone through the last three years. We need to do these things to go over the top and get to the Superbowl and win it.

I trust that BB and his coaches know this too and will be working on it. It is easy to put in a blog and say do this, do that, get this guy, why didn't you draft this guy, etc. It is harder to do it in real life. You are competing everyday against the other 31 teams and the League office. The other teams are all trying to do the same thing you are.

Pats are an elite team... stop acting like we are jaguars or tampa bay. We have a number one QB, a young team, a great coach, a system, a philosophy and an ownership team that helps and supports all of it and keeps it organized and controlled. A winning tradition.

If we could add some intimidation and players that can impose their will during games, we will once again be on the top. We could compete with Seattle and beat them, but we need a healthy team and a little shift in approach to the game. BB needs to attack on O and D more, not just be ready to react to the opposition. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to FishTaco64's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

His contract is as bad.  It ain't happening. I noticed Roddy White and Atlanta are "working" on an extension restructure.

That's really where BB could swoop in, right there.  32, contract expiring, Julio Jones due, Atlanta may value a draft pick instead.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly... thas team needs established players at wr,  not more draft picks.   So trade a 2nd or 3rd for johnson and resign Edelman for like 4for 12mil.  There you get more value since Edelman still is a great return guy.  Then you get johnson to restructure.

This team just needs one more proven big guy.  then you get gronk back but you don't use him like a sacrificial lamb running down the seams catching floaters.  Use him more  like a conventional tight end finding gaps in coverage and catch balls with his wingspan. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

I am pretty sure prior to this his cap hits were so big, that it made no sense to trade him.

[/QUOTE]

How could Arizona reduce his "cap hit", that's just not possible!! Don't they realize every team but us is in salary cap hell???

Wait till salary cap hell finds out! They are going to crawl to the surface of the earth and punish Arizona...maybe drag them right down into hell for eternity!!! Aaaaaaahhhh...noooooo.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

We should sign Fitz, and Jimmy Graham. We need to surround our elite QB with as many weapons as possible, like the Broncos.... otherwise we won't win!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We should sign Fitz, and Jimmy Graham. We need to surround our elite QB with as many weapons as possible, like the Broncos.... otherwise we won't win!

[/QUOTE]

Lol. What's the answer then? Defense? If so, I would agree. 

I do think doing something on the O makes sense. For a second I am going to assume Dobson, Boyce take a step forward next year. We sign Edelman and cut amendola after June 1st. We pick up a dual threat TE in draft or FA, and we beef up the interior of the OL. Done.

defense has its issues but maybe not so far away assuming some guys return at pre injury levels. Mayo I think will slide right back in, big questions on Vince and Kelly. 

This may not be popular, but I am drafting 2 defensive positions. DT and De. I would move Collins to safety opposite mccourty, nink to olb, and find a pass rusher to put on the other side of jones and a DT that can collapse the pocket if Vince and Kelly can't go. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The D needs upgrades at Strong Safety and Defensive Tackle

The O needs quality depth at TE and the interior O line

No reason these issues can't be addressed simultaneously IMO

[/QUOTE]

Agree 100%. We may also need a cb depending upon what happens with Talib. I put that high on the list. How much we spend on one (high draft pick or mid priced FA) depends in part in bb's confidence in Ryan. Can Ryan start opposite Dennard with Arrington in the slot? Maybe. Either way, we still need another cb if Talib walks.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Here's a question:

Is there a top flight WR out there who IS looking to move to another team?

Seems all these WRs restructuring their contracts are doing it to stay where they are.  Has there been any scuttle butt in this area?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Here's a question:

Is there a top flight WR out there who IS looking to move to another team?

Seems all these WRs restructuring their contracts are doing it to stay where they are.  Has there been any scuttle butt in this area?

[/QUOTE]

Haven't heard any scuttlebutt. But Russ believe it or not has a good point about roddy white. They have to pay jones and there might be a deal there we could make. I also think Andre Johnson could be in play. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I do think doing something on the O makes sense. For a second I am going to assume Dobson, Boyce take a step forward next year. We sign Edelman and cut amendola after June 1st. We pick up a dual threat TE in draft or FA, and we beef up the interior of the OL. Done.

defense has its issues but maybe not so far away assuming some guys return at pre injury levels. Mayo I think will slide right back in, big questions on Vince and Kelly. 

This may not be popular, but I am drafting 2 defensive positions. DT and De. I would move Collins to safety opposite mccourty, nink to olb, and find a pass rusher to put on the other side of jones and a DT that can collapse the pocket if Vince and Kelly can't go. 

[/QUOTE]

All possible except the Amendola part. $6.8 mil in dead money, spread out or not, is too much. He's not getting axed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'd just settle for a defense that didn't take five years to "rebuild"...played well for three games, then looked exactly like it has for the last five years. Poor.

See when you take five years to rebuild something, the pieces you start with initially get old (see Vince), and fall apart when you are putting the finishing touches on. And when you add old, lower level pieces (cheap, low quality fixtures) to your rebuild project (see Gregory, Adrian Wilson, Shaun Ellis, Trevor Scott, Haynesworth, Andre Carter part 2, and many more), it kind of doesn't help:(

So maybe you're right...rebuild the unit that has Brady on it...it's worked for the last ten years as our defense has been along for the ride...why not just continue? Plus it's cheaper, you got love that.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CRUSTYTHECLOWN. Show CRUSTYTHECLOWN's posts

In response to MileHighMike's comment:

[QUOTE]

^ Let us know when you actually make a point, Bustchise. You're a Jets fan who spent 3 and 4 years on here defending Bustchise himself, only to get caught using a board name of "Bustchise".

THe irony.

You have no business calling anyone an idiot, especially more intelligent people who happen to be Pats fans. lmao

Defending Bustchsie?  What are you blathering about?  And you are an idiot.  You the idiot that called Drew Bledsoe a bust.  You're the idiot that said Curtis Martin couldn't catch passes, you're the idiot that claimed McCourty was better than Revis, you're the idiot that said a mark of a great D is when they give up a 120+ rating to an opposing QB, you're the idiot that claimed Brady made BB draft players, you're the idiot that claimed the patsies had the best D in the AFC and on and on and on.  You aren't just AN idiot. You are the idiot.  

[/QUOTE]

Well said Mikey !! I concur 100% !!! You are now officially a member of the " I OWN RUSTY CLUB!"! Welcome ...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to MileHighMike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

THe irony.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He's also the idiot that last night said having too much cap space is a disadvantage and something you don't want. Meanwhile for the last five years he's been praising us for walking into free agency over the last three years with 22-28 million in cap space. This is what rusty does - he distorts every possible thing until it almost supports his agenda - he's doing it now because all the teams he said were in "salary cap hell", quickly came out of "salary cap hell" and now have an abundance of cap space....Redskins, Raiders, Jets, Dolphins, Buffalo...and many many more. Those were all the teams who "spent lvishly and follishly" and would be in cap hell for "years and years and years", well a year later they are all doing just fine with their cap space. The Raiders (a team rusty claimed would never get out of cap hell with the contracts given to Seymore, Kelly, Palmer and more) are now 59 million under the cap. Imagine that! And crazy, evil Dan Snyder are right behind them.

When we shave 15 million off our cap in a week rusty will call BB a genious, when in fact there are teams that do that every off season...it's called the NFL salary cap "the most fluid thing in all of sports".

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I like your Collins idea! In the box SS who can cover TE's. I think we either draft a DT early or if we let VW go, make Arthur Jones or Randy Stark a priority as both could play 4-3 DT with Jones being the cheaper option. I would also aim for either Dennis Pita orJeremy Maclin as the offensive priorities. Pita would be a perfect Hern replacement and compliment Gronk.

Sign a center in the middle rounds for Wendell and draft a CB early, and kiss Talib good bye.  I might be in the minority here but I think Amendola can fill Edelmans void with ease, and if he gets hurt I could see TJ. Moe stepping into the slot position. I mean it's the slot we're talking about here. Maclin at an incentive based contract would be a perfect fit as a speedy route runner. I personnaly like Dennard and Ryan as the 1 and 2 CB's next year but would need depth behind them. 

Sections
Shortcuts