Five FA acquisitions that are BB type value...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Five FA acquisitions that are BB type value...

Some guys that wouldn't break the bank, but would improve current roster spots. What do you guys think?

RB/FB: Mike Tolbert -- Tolbert is a huge (245lb) short yardage guy with elusiveness that makes him difficult to stop. The big bonus is that he is (oddly enough) a 3rd down power back -- he has excellent hands, great blocking ability on the fly, and is far better than anyone other than Woody on the Pats roster at adjusting to passes). Given that NE will be one shy, but also don't want to stunt their 2nd year players, he could be had on the cheap, work as a FB/3rd down guy, change of pace. 

DB: Richard Marshall isn't the flashiest pick, but he is competent all around, scoring jacks in run support, man coverage, and zone awareness. He wouldn't be incredibly cheap, but the CB market is a rich man's game. 

DE: Mark Anderson ... he needs to be kept around. NE needs to focus on keeping their own for good money AND augmenting his presence with another rusher who can draw coverage. By the end of the season he was (with the exception of Big Vince) the best player on the defense. 

WR: This is much debated, but I sense the concensus is Brandon Lloyd, and I agree. He does have some private life issues, but he is a good WR who knows the kind of on-the-fly adjustments NE's offense makes, and knows how to use them. Also, his biggest strength is his hands, which outside of Gronk, is a weak point in the stable here in NE. After resigning Welker, of course, he could be a big addition. 

DL: John Abraham. He seems like the kind of signing that BB loves. Could they strike gold on oldies twice? He still has it, and brings less question marks than either player they acquired last season, as his 9.5 sacks attest. At 33 he might be bought cheap, in the hopes of getting a ring. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: Five FA acquisitions that are BB type value...

I agree with the list except Abraham.  He wants to get paid (he's quoted as saying he wants 12 mil a season) and isn't that great against the run.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I was thinking about ol John Abraham the other day. Word is atlanta may draft a young guy and move on from him.

He would instantly be our best pass rusher even at his age. He would most likely be signed for decent money, as I dont think he could command a bunch of money but I like that idea. I was glad when he left N.Y. but i have always admired him from afar.

Marshall was a guy I thought they would draft back then and after his rookie year I havent heard much about him so maybe he would fairly cheap. He played for Fresno St I believe in P.Hills system so the he is def. a good fit.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

pcm is right Abraham might not be as big of a value as you would hope. I would replace Abraham with Langford on that list and those would be people I think BB would target

Esp, Marshall. He has the flexibility to be a CB or FS, which adds value to him and he does bring a vet presence. If you can get Marshall and steal Webb from Balt then I think that fixes or secondary issues. You would essentially have 3 CB's on the field at all times but 1 of them will be an hybrid flex CB/FS.  Id' envision Ras and Webb being the outside CB's with McCourty and Marshall being the flex CB/FS. So you'd have 3 DB spots being filled by 4 players in a rotation to keep them fresh and depending on situation. Then you have Chung as the general S and Ihedigbo as a backup. You can also draft another FS/SS type to train and Moore would be a 3rd flex CB/FS you can bring in for dime and nickel situations.

That would instantly upgrade or secondary to be one of the better secondaries in the league, imo

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

How can Abraham ask for 12/mill a year at age 34?

I love it that everyone wants to get paid but cmon now. This is a young mans game. You can get him on a 3 year/21mill. deal and if not, tell him to see what he gets as a bagger in the supermarket.  A lot of lineman coming out and in free agency... I would def. try to get him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hulk. Show hulk's posts

Great post.  I tend to agree with the majority on Abraham.  I think bringing back Anderson and Carter, along with a good draft pick rusher, will be enough.  Carter's injury was nothing serious, and won't affect him during the off-season workouts.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Glad to have you back, ZB, to inject some sanity into the discussion. Also to be commended for returning after pre-franchise designation madness (let's get Ray Rice) and episode one of Peyton Place.

Agree on Tolbert. Until the Pats brass knows what they have in Ridley and Vereen (could be future back and return man?). Still maybe make him pass the physical.

Marshall. I might be a bit rusty on my DBs. He's young and reasonably good (soon t be young and aflluent). Would you move anyone to FS?

Anderson and Carter are prime examples of leading with what brought you there. I agree that an OLB/DE is still a likely position in the draft. Might eveb go with DT. Watching Fork get double-teamed is not pleasent.

Lloyd could be here. The question is the money. Luckily its a deep draft in WRs and there are plenty of mid-level WR free agents. I never understood how people expected Wallace and Welker to get paid. Both are obviously talented, however that's 20-25m in payroll committed two players; One could be playing for his last contract; the other wants to be the #1 WR. You'd be paying both #1 WR money. I agree GB and NO have better WR corps, but this is primarily because they have drafted well at the position. Meachum too much $$, ZB?

Been a rough week on the bayou, ZB. Fire back some Dixies and jambalya and forget.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

While there is no arguement that the Pats need to upgrade the pass rush I strongly hold to the idea that the very best thing they can do is to get via draft, FA or trade some true 3 down DEs and OLBs. Players that are at least solid agasint the run (or better) AND can bring a solid pass rush (or better). If they can get 2 players like that - DEs and/or OLBs, that would go a long way to making the D more consistent and more able to adjust to the opponent and the circumstances. Getting specialty players to bring pass rush is good but it would be even better to get it via this route.

Abram does not meet this test. That doesn't mean I wouldn't want him but he would not be my first choice or a long term answer to anything.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: Five FA acquisitions that are BB type value...:
    [QUOTE]Glad to have you back, ZB, to inject some sanity into the discussion. Also to be commended for returning after pre-franchise designation madness (let's get Ray Rice) and episode one of Peyton Place. Agree on Tolbert. Until the Pats brass knows what they have in Ridley and Vereen (could be future back and return man?). Still maybe make him pass the physical. Marshall. I might be a bit rusty on my DBs. He's young and reasonably good (soon t be young and aflluent). Would you move anyone to FS? Anderson and Carter are prime examples of leading with what brought you there. I agree that an OLB/DE is still a likely position in the draft. Might eveb go with DT. Watching Fork get double-teamed is not pleasent. Lloyd could be here. The question is the money. Luckily its a deep draft in WRs and there are plenty of mid-level WR free agents. I never understood how people expected Wallace and Welker to get paid. Both are obviously talented, however that's 20-25m in payroll committed two players; One could be playing for his last contract; the other wants to be the #1 WR. You'd be paying both #1 WR money. I agree GB and NO have better WR corps, but this is primarily because they have drafted well at the position. Meachum too much $$, ZB? Been a rough week on the bayou, ZB. Fire back some Dixies and jambalya and forget.
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz[/QUOTE]

HA! I don't really care what happens to the Saints. I enjoyed their success because it made my friends and the city happy ... but really I've always thought their team were a bunch of punks, and Brees is a stat-padder. 

MY thought, I guess, is that we might see a more permanent move for DMC to safety. This obiviously isn't set in stone ... but don't we all think he looked better there than at CB?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

My assumption on Abraham is that the market will correct him ... he is 33 ... I see 6 in that range. 

At any rate, can you count on more from Carter? His inury was perty nasty, and he is ancient. 

My thought was just that JA is just a better player than AC. 

Not sure he's getting double digits from anyone in the NFL though.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Last year McC definitely looked better at safety, but I think the smart thing to do is see which McC comes to play in 2012. He clearly was an awful corner in 2011 after having a great season at CB as a rookie. If he returns to his good form then I think it's a no brainer he's a full time corner. Good corners are just too hard to find.

Z, any thoughts on why he fell off the map so much? The guy was covering Calvin Johnson and other top receivers well his rookie year yet couldn't cover a scrub WR last year. Something clearly was different. Ty Law thought it was technique but how does McC's technique regress so much? I'm thinking he just had a bad offseason and was unprepared for 2011. 

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Five FA acquisitions that are BB type value... : HA! I don't really care what happens to the Saints. I enjoyed their success because it made my friends and the city happy ... but really I've always thought their team were a bunch of punks, and Brees is a stat-padder.  MY thought, I guess, is that we might see a more permanent move for DMC to safety. This obiviously isn't set in stone ... but don't we all think he looked better there than at CB?
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

[QUOTE]Last year McC definitely looked better at safety, but I think the smart thing to do is see which McC comes to play in 2012. He clearly was an awful corner in 2011 after having a great season at CB as a rookie. If he returns to his good form then I think it's a no brainer he's a full time corner. Good corners are just too hard to find. Z, any thoughts on why he fell off the map so much? The guy was covering Calvin Johnson and other top receivers well his rookie year yet couldn't cover a scrub WR last year. Something clearly was different. Ty Law thought it was technique but how does McC's technique regress so much? I'm thinking he just had a bad offseason and was unprepared for 2011.  In Response to Re: Five FA acquisitions that are BB type value... :
    Posted by Rockdog1293000[/QUOTE]

Wow! It was stunning how far McCourty regressed from his very good rookie season to last year.

The only thing I can think of was the lack of OTA's and mini-camps in the off-season. Would they have benefited him in honing his technique?

I would think a full off-season will help get him get back on track.  I'm still holding out hope for him as a CB.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]Last year McC definitely looked better at safety, but I think the smart thing to do is see which McC comes to play in 2012. He clearly was an awful corner in 2011 after having a great season at CB as a rookie. If he returns to his good form then I think it's a no brainer he's a full time corner. Good corners are just too hard to find. Z, any thoughts on why he fell off the map so much? The guy was covering Calvin Johnson and other top receivers well his rookie year yet couldn't cover a scrub WR last year. Something clearly was different. Ty Law thought it was technique but how does McC's technique regress so much? I'm thinking he just had a bad offseason and was unprepared for 2011.  In Response to Re: Five FA acquisitions that are BB type value... :
    Posted by Rockdog1293000[/QUOTE]

RD, isn't it wierd that there is CB regression here. Guys tend to do well in year one, even FA vets, then peter out in year two.

Mechanically, they seem to be as sound, but they tend to get xaught peeking. I wonder if the coaching is bad, or the coaching is so good that it masks deficiencies in the short term. 

Not sure. 

It could also be a sophomore slump....

But DMC was definitely a liability at corner last season.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bubthegrub12. Show Bubthegrub12's posts

I agree with Tolbert and Marshall. Both would be solid additions at a reasonable cost. And re-signing Anderson is pretty much a must. He was the only pass rush we had down the stretch, if he stays they'll only need one more. While I wouldn't be upset to see Lloyd, I'm wondering if Meachem isn't a better fit. He's younger, and would cost less (probably). Plus Lloyd may think he's going to get 90 catches a season, not realistic if we have Welker and Gronk. And I'd love to see Abraham plug the hole left by Carter (who I think is pretty much done). But it would have to be at a good price, no way he's worth $12 mil at his age. They still need to get some younger DE/OLBs in as well. My hope would be to get Mario, but cost may be prohibitive there. Webb from Baltimore is also an intriguing prospect, though he'd cost them the #31 pick as well. But he might be better than anyone they could get at that spot, and at a position of great need.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

[QUOTE]My assumption on Abraham is that the market will correct him ... he is 33 ... I see 6 in that range.  At any rate, can you count on more from Carter? His inury was perty nasty, and he is ancient.  My thought was just that JA is just a better player than AC.  Not sure he's getting double digits from anyone in the NFL though.

I don't think JA will get the money he is asking for, but given the number of teams that have a lot of cap space I could imagine him getting more money than NE is willing to pay.  Carter's injury may have looked nasty, but I sort of thought the prognosis was better than if he had torn a knee and Carter is actually younger than Abraham.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Marshall would be a good fit, because I think they used him at Safety in Arizona as well. 

Lloyd makes sense no doubt, but the money is the issue. He's jumped around for that and apparently due to some primadonna issues, so NE would need to tread lightly in this area.  Skill set-wise, etc, yes, but it would need to be a situation where his selfishness and those days are OVER.  

Considering BB's track record with the primadonna player, I am assuming Lloyd an his agent are well aware of this. If BB will trade Moss, Brandon Lloyd can be cut outright with no questions asked.

Two flankers like a Lloyd and an Ochocinco, each with a full camp here, would allow for less excuses for Brady in 2012 as well. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Five FA acquisitions that are BB type value... : RD, isn't it wierd that there is CB regression here. Guys tend to do well in year one, even FA vets, then peter out in year two. Mechanically, they seem to be as sound, but they tend to get xaught peeking. I wonder if the coaching is bad, or the coaching is so good that it masks deficiencies in the short term.  Not sure.  It could also be a sophomore slump.... But DMC was definitely a liability at corner last season.  

I've wondered about the coaching too, but then you have a guy like Arrington who's playing above his head if anything.  I'm not sure Butler or Wilhite were all that good, but neither seemed to progress and Butler seemed to lose his confidence.  I suspect DMC will play better next year . . . seems to me that his performance shouldn't vary too much from that of his identical twin down in Tennessee (who had a pretty good third season).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

i heard on dennis and callahan this morning that the denver people think lloyd has bipolar disorder.
    with lloyd's numbers the last couple seasons, he was traded to the rams for just a 6th round pick- that tells you what people around the league think of this guy

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Five FA acquisitions that are BB type value...:
    [QUOTE]Some guys that wouldn't break the bank, but would improve current roster spots. What do you guys think? RB/FB: Mike Tolbert -- Tolbert is a huge (245lb) short yardage guy with elusiveness that makes him difficult to stop. The big bonus is that he is (oddly enough) a 3rd down power back -- he has excellent hands, great blocking ability on the fly, and is far better than anyone other than Woody on the Pats roster at adjusting to passes). Given that NE will be one shy, but also don't want to stunt their 2nd year players, he could be had on the cheap, work as a FB/3rd down guy, change of pace.

RESPONSE: Tolbert played well against the Pats last year, until his fumble cost the Chargers the game. I like the kid, too. Let me ask you this Z...if given a choice between Tolbert and BJGE, who would you rather have? My guess is that both players will be in the same price range.

DB: Richard Marshall isn't the flashiest pick, but he is competent all around, scoring jacks in run support, man coverage, and zone awareness. He wouldn't be incredibly cheap, but the CB market is a rich man's game.

RESPONSE: Teams always over-pay for CBs. It's a position where seemingly every team has a need. I rather have Tracy Porter. He's younger, and more of a ball-hawk. 

DE: Mark Anderson ... he needs to be kept around. NE needs to focus on keeping their own for good money AND augmenting his presence with another rusher who can draw coverage. By the end of the season he was (with the exception of Big Vince) the best player on the defense.

RESPONSE: Amen. 

WR: This is much debated, but I sense the concensus is Brandon Lloyd, and I agree. He does have some private life issues, but he is a good WR who knows the kind of on-the-fly adjustments NE's offense makes, and knows how to use them. Also, his biggest strength is his hands, which outside of Gronk, is a weak point in the stable here in NE. After resigning Welker, of course, he could be a big addition.

RESPONSE: I too have heard all the talk about Lloyd coming to the Patriots. Yet, I'm still wondering why Lloyd would hire Tom Condon as his agent, if his goal was to join the Pats. BB despises Condon, and the Pats haven't signed one of his clients since the Ben Watson thing in 2004.
         As for Welker, this is likely his last year as a Patriot. No way are the Patriots going to sign him, at age 32, to a long term, big money deal.
         The Pats need a deep threat. I'm not sure that Lloyd fits that bill.

DL: John Abraham. He seems like the kind of signing that BB loves. Could they strike gold on oldies twice? He still has it, and brings less question marks than either player they acquired last season, as his 9.5 sacks attest. At 33 he might be bought cheap, in the hopes of getting a ring.

RESPONSE: Andre Carter would likely be more affordable. Who would you rather have, Abraham or Carter?  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Five FA acquisitions that are BB type value...:
    [QUOTE]Some guys that wouldn't break the bank, but would improve current roster spots. What do you guys think? RB/FB: Mike Tolbert -- Tolbert is a huge (245lb) short yardage guy with elusiveness that makes him difficult to stop. The big bonus is that he is (oddly enough) a 3rd down power back -- he has excellent hands, great blocking ability on the fly, and is far better than anyone other than Woody on the Pats roster at adjusting to passes). Given that NE will be one shy, but also don't want to stunt their 2nd year players, he could be had on the cheap, work as a FB/3rd down guy, change of pace.  DB: Richard Marshall isn't the flashiest pick, but he is competent all around, scoring jacks in run support, man coverage, and zone awareness. He wouldn't be incredibly cheap, but the CB market is a rich man's game.  DE: Mark Anderson ... he needs to be kept around. NE needs to focus on keeping their own for good money AND augmenting his presence with another rusher who can draw coverage. By the end of the season he was (with the exception of Big Vince) the best player on the defense.  WR: This is much debated, but I sense the concensus is Brandon Lloyd, and I agree. He does have some private life issues, but he is a good WR who knows the kind of on-the-fly adjustments NE's offense makes, and knows how to use them. Also, his biggest strength is his hands, which outside of Gronk, is a weak point in the stable here in NE. After resigning Welker, of course, he could be a big addition.  DL: John Abraham. He seems like the kind of signing that BB loves. Could they strike gold on oldies twice? He still has it, and brings less question marks than either player they acquired last season, as his 9.5 sacks attest. At 33 he might be bought cheap, in the hopes of getting a ring. 

It's funny, I like all these guys, yet I think they all have some problems.

I'm not big on the Tolbert idea because we already have four guys that are situational type of runners. I'd like to have a guy that could do it all, instead of a guy that comes in and the entire defense knows we are going to do ______ based off of who's in there. When Benny is in there they know he's going up the middle or we will run off takle with him...they also know he can't plant his foot and take advantage of any cut back lanes on those off tackle plays. 

I've always loved Abraham and remember the days when he would fly around Light with these long arms - while staying low. It was awesome to watch, but he's 33 now - I can't picture him being able to do that anymore.

Anderson reminds me of Chris Slade a little bit - a guy with length and some pass rush potential, but man do they both get washed out of running plays...

I've read about the Lloyd personal problems too and basically I'm on the fence on him. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]Marshall would be a good fit, because I think they used him at Safety in Arizona as well.  Lloyd makes sense no doubt, but the money is the issue. He's jumped around for that and apparently due to some primadonna issues, so NE would need to tread lightly in this area.  Skill set-wise, etc, yes, but it would need to be a situation where his selfishness and those days are OVER.   Considering BB's track record with the primadonna player, I am assuming Lloyd an his agent are well aware of this. If BB will trade Moss, Brandon Lloyd can be cut outright with no questions asked. Two flankers like a Lloyd and an Ochocinco, each with a full camp here, would allow for less excuses for Brady in 2012 as well. 
    Posted by BassFishing[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Marshall played all over the place ... I think BB would rather just list his CBs and Safeties as "DBs" because he does the same thing. And he values it. 

I like the guy's tools, and value is hard to find in the CB market. 

Yeah, I don't think cutting Lloyd would be an issue at all. 

I'm not really hoping for much out of a 34(?) year old Ocho, who already took to this offense like Corky Thacher to trigonometry. But having Lloyd would open up the middle of the field for running backs and TEs in both phases, which I think is one small bonus.

That said, Ocho is not a flanker in the situation .... he is a split end. Different routes, different positions. He is always on the LOS which = SE.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Five FA acquisitions that are BB type value... :
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Tex, real quick. 

Tolbert over BJGE easily. He is more versatile, though not an open field runner. He is a true power back, and unlike Benny ... he doesn't drop 1 out of 4 passes. There is a reason NE never, ever runs the guy out of passing formations, yet Ridley was doing it his rookie season. 

Second, Carter knows the system, but his injury is tremendous, and even in his prime ... Abraham was a more consistent threat. 

IT's a tough one ... but giving Abraham a shot, all $$$ being equal, would be cool. 

I would be happy to see Carter back as well ... but I'm not convinced it would improve what they did last season. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Five FA acquisitions that are BB type value... : Yeah, Marshall played all over the place ... I think BB would rather just list his CBs and Safeties as "DBs" because he does the same thing. And he values it.  I like the guy's tools, and value is hard to find in the CB market.  Yeah, I don't think cutting Lloyd would be an issue at all.  I'm not really hoping for much out of a 34(?) year old Ocho, who already took to this offense like Corky Thacher to trigonometry. But having Lloyd would open up the middle of the field for running backs and TEs in both phases, which I think is one small bonus. That said, Ocho is not a flanker in the situation .... he is a split end. Different routes, different positions. He is always on the LOS which = SE.

Z...I've got my doubts about Lloyd becoming a Patriot. If he really wanted to play for the Pats, why did he hire Tom Condon to represent him? BB despises Condon, and hasn't taken on any of his clients since the Ben Watson thing.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Five FA acquisitions that are BB type value... :      Z...I've got my doubts about Lloyd becoming a Patriot. If he really wanted to play for the Pats, why did he hire Tom Condon to represent him? BB despises Condon, and hasn't taken on any of his clients since the Ben Watson thing.
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

I guess there is a first time for everything! I can't think that any team would completely rule out any and all players under one representative.

Still, the fit was there for the Pats needs (that most saw, including BB) and what Lloyd can do, and would like to accomplish. 

I think Laron Landry, the next "target" could fit in the "value" category. At the outset, well, I wouldn't think of him as a value, but as an overpriced injury risk, whose dubiously earned physical gifts garner more money than they are worth. 

But if his absolute value is there, he could be a good pickup with a lot of experience. 

I still wonder how well he can cover the field ... and given Chung's in-the-box abilities, the fit still seems off. 

DMC, in the end, might be a good fit for FS .... in which case corner becomes a bit hazier given Ras-I's lost season and unreliability (for now) and the mixed results from the others.

BJGE is there too ... really not much interest for the guy, which means his price is probably dropping on the daily. NE hasn't really committed to the guy ... and basically they've let him roam FA waters uncontested, which sort of speaks that he is replaceable. 

My guess ... the Chiefs offered him backup money, the Bengals the same, and if he is taking backup money, he would probably take it in NE where he would still be the incumbent for the most carries, as opposed to a <100 carry compliment back. 

If he can be had for that kind of short cash ..... then NE should retain him. 

Still, it's funny that not one single team in the NFL views BJGE as an upgrade over their own starter. I guess the Bengals and Browns would be the closest suitors, as places where the talent was such that he could actually compete for a starting spot.