Five things to know about the Pats

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Five things to know about the Pats

Mike Freeman of CBSSports.com, who was present at Gillette Stadium this week, lists his "5 things to know" about the Patriots. He's predicting big things for Brandon Meriweather.

Can anyone access this link and maybe post the story on this thread? Its blacked from my work computer and I am dieing to read what this guy wrote about my boy Merriwhether. Apparently he said we should expect big things from Merriwhether this season and that is my boy right there! I am all about Merriwhether so I want to know why he is saying this. Can someone help me out and post this story for me?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Re: Five things to know about the Pats

Here it is:

1. In one recent drill quarterback Tom Brady, coming off that devastating knee injury from last season, hit just about every NFL throw possible: a deep route, a sideline throw, a short throw, a medium throw. The only thing missing was an incompletion. He was as sharp as ever. If anyone is concerned that Brady has lost any zip or accuracy, they should remove themselves from the ledge. He looks fine. That's not the issue. The issue is the first big hit he takes, and we won't see that really until the first regular-season game. The preseason games will mean little in terms of a legitimate test because quarterbacks are so protected and defenses are so non-aggressive. Thus no one will really know about that knee for some time.

2. Randy Moss has been extremely quiet in camp. As of this week Moss had yet to speak with the media; it's incredible he's allowed to slink away from reporters for weeks at a time during camp (without fear of a fine from the league), considering he's one of the biggest stars in the sport. While his figurative middle finger to the media is abhorrent, it might bode well for the Patriots. I'm told by someone in the organization that they've rarely seen Moss as focused as he is. When Moss is focused, he's frightening.

3. Maybe the tightest battle in camp is at the tight end position. Bill Belichick, as is his penchant, won't go into specifics of the battle but the leader has to be Ben Watson. The only hint Belichick gives of who might be leading the fight are these glowing words: "[Watson has] a lot of strengths. He's fast. He's athletic. He's a real smart guy. He's versatile athletically and he's versatile mentally, so he can do a lot of things. He can play on the line. He can play off the line. He can play detached. He can play in close. He has a good skill set."

4. If there was one guy who is primed to have a breakout season, it's safety Brandon Meriweather. Here's a guess: Meriweather becomes a Pro Bowl starter this year.

5. One more thing on Belichick. His dryness and ability to stick to his script is actually sometimes extremely humorous. He was asked about the demise of the Arena League and his answer was classic. "Right now, my thoughts are really on our football team, training camp, getting ready for the season [and] the Philadelphia Eagles," he said. "I'm not really into solving the world's problems and all that. I'm just trying to coach our football team."

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

-- "I'm not really into solving the world's problems and all that. I'm just trying to coach our football team." --

Tony Dungy should be taking notes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

prairie dog - apropos if Dungy were actually coaching. 

If you think that was a Dungy dig, then maybe Belichick is actually paying attention to more than he states, and maybe he should be taking more of his own advice.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Actually, all I thought was that Belichick's statement (bland as it is) seems like my idea of good advice to anyone (particularly football coaches) with designs on solving all the world's problems . . .   that, and I haven't completely decompressed from the 15 minutes I'll never get back from Sunday night's Bills-Titans game. Silly me, I thought when Dungy said he was going away that actually meant he was going away.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

And maybe you should learn how to take a joke. Clearly Dungy is not a coach any more and Mike was just pulling your chain.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Apparently only pats fans are allowed to deliver the digs.  My fault.  Forgot to read the board manifesto this morning.

As for Dungy, I think prison ministry and mentoring is one of the objectives of his retirement.  Seems to me that Mike Vick fits perfectly into that effort.  But I will defer to pats fans on this as you possess greater insight for these kinds of things.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Killa is, of course, right.

The post was really nothing more than a dogg whistle.

Surely he was aware of that.

Ohhh . . . and is selling Mike Vick back to the NFL part of his "ministry and mentoring? Because that sure sounded like what he was trying to do Sunday night.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I didnt watch that game, was Dungy in teh booth or something? preaching about second chances and all that BS?

Here boy! I got a bone for you!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Since Dungy isn't coaching, he may prefer trying to save the world.  As to selling Vick, if Dungy believes his best place provide an example to others is on the football field, then why wouldn't he try to sell that?  Seems to fit his post football objectives.  If he works towards that end with people he knows (football players) and using platforms he can (nationally televised football games) and provide a positive result to a negative situation (like Extreme Home Makeover), then again, I ask, why wouldn't he. 

Its easy being a critic.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

In Response to Re: Five things to know about the Pats:
    I didnt watch that game, was Dungy in teh booth or something? preaching about second chances and all that BS? Here boy! I got a bone for you!
    Posted by MVPkilla

Michael Vick is a special young man.

I know this, because Tony told me.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

So when do we start teh countdown to Dungy being the next NFL commish?? Come on guys we all know its only a matter of time before this Jesus freak gets the nod to become the next commish.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from antleite. Show antleite's posts

"I'm not really into solving the world's problems and all that. I'm just trying to coach our football team."

lol gotta love the guy, at least he is consistent

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

He could hardly do worse than Goodell.

Wait . . .

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I am psyched up right now that this guy also thinks Merriwhether is primed for a pro bowl type of year. I am very high on this kid and I have very high hopes for him. He has been around teh ball more then anyone else in training camp this year and he has quite a few picks some of which were thrown by Brady. This kid is coming around and now that Rodney is gone its his chance to become a leader back there. Is anyone else as pumped up about the young players on this team as I am?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I'm pumped about the younger guys, and our team in general.  All we have to do is fend off the annual injury bug, which as we can now confirm, afflicts the Pats more than usual.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

We've all talked about the Pats' need to get younger, and if guys like Meriweather and Mayo can lead the charge while they work in this year's crop -- and the younger guys who were injured last year, like Crable and Wheatley -- the Pats could be formidable for a very long time.

(oh . . .  and Tony Dungy is a pustulent blowhole)

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from antleite. Show antleite's posts

Young Guys to keep an eye out for:

1) BenJarvus Green-Ellis, RB (year 2)
    I think BenJarvus Green-Ellis is posed to have a good season, if he gets some PT. I like what I saw late last season when he was longing in some PT when Sammy went down with an injury. He’s a real bruiser, North-South type running back.

2) Matthew Slater, WR (year 2)
    He seem to be having a good training camp thus far. Some say he may be the next Wes Welker for the team. We'll see how he does during the pre-season games.

3) Gary Guyton, LB (year 2)
    I'm interested to see how he improves in camp and what he brings to the team come the start of the season.

4) Jerod Mayo, LB (year2)
    Need I say more. I'm sure he will produce better numbers than last season.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrtm70. Show mrtm70's posts

Is anyone else as pumped up about the young players on this team as I am?
    Posted by MVPkilla

Oh yah!!! So pumped that the new bank account checks & bank card my wife & I openned today will have the NE Pats on it and just got the wife (Moss, 31) & 1 year old daughter (Pink Brady, 12 Onesy) in the mail last week, I already have both home & away Seymour, 93 jerseys...WE are ready for the '09 Season!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

"2) Matthew Slater, WR (year 2)
    He seem to be having a good training camp thus far. Some say he may be the next Wes Welker for the team. We'll see how he does during the pre-season games. "

Who exactly is saying he is the next Wes Welker? Last time I checked he was playing more as a Safety then as a WR and he is a ST player and not much else. I think you might be confusing someone else with Slater because no one and I mean no one has ever tried to compear this kid to Welker.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

PMike I wouldnt even say getting younger is even a concern anymore. I think people who say that are just so used to us being an old team that they say it even when we have gotten younger. Bruschi is the only guy on the team that is "too old" everyone else is pretty much ok.

Seymore is barely over 30 and Brady is only 32

Adalius Thomas is in his 30s but not "too old"

Kevin Faulk is older but he has so much left in the tank its not even funny, this guy has a lot left to offer this team.

Fred Taylor is older but he is not "the guy" so its a none issue.

and Shawn Springs is old but again he is not "the guy" so we are good.

That is not a lot of guys and the rest of teh team is under 30 oh wait i forgot about our O line but even they are not that old and we drafted 3 linemen so its a good balence.

This team is a young football team with some good vets mixed in we are by no means "too old"

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Saying Moss is going to have great year because he looked good in camp and Brady is back is redundant. Pretty much most the known universe (which doesn't revolve around Dungy or Goodell) knows what these two are capable of when the hit the playbook. I could see Meriweather getting some more INTs and becoming a better freelance hitter. I like Edelman as an option at WR. I want to see Chung emerge as the future SS and Guyton getting more PT at ILB.

I want to see Tony Dungy sing Amish Paradise in the next America's Got Talent.

This team has huge potential and BB still has the value picks for 2010.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

So when do we start teh countdown to Dungy being the next NFL commish?? Come on guys we all know its only a matter of time before this Jesus freak gets the nod to become the next commish.
    Posted by MVPkilla

No, he won't be commish.  Reliable sources are saying he's next in line to be the Pope.

Sections
Shortcuts