Five things to know about the Pats

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Re: Five things to know about the Pats

In Response to Re: Five things to know about the Pats:
    "I am fine that he is sticking up for Vick. Vick's crime was bad, but some people are reacting like he is worthless as a person. Just maybe he realized he did something wrong." - Z Well if he realized that he did something wrong then why has he shown no remorse for his actions what so ever? Dungy can speak out for him all he wants but Dungy saying he is sorry and Vick saying he is sorry are two different things. Vick has not made any public statements or press conferences or anything what so ever. He has done nothing to support your claim that he might have realized that what he did was wrong. Daunte Stallworth shows real remorse for a horrible mistake that he made and he gets suspended for a year for staining the NFL name but Vick does what he did and shows absolutly no remorse what so ever and he can play? Yea one guy killed a human and the other killed animals but for one Vick premeditated his crimes, it was a well thought out criminal entrerprise and he lied to the investigaters and Stallworth made a mistake, he did not plan on hurting anyone.
    Posted by MVPkilla

First question - How do you know he has not shown any remorse whatsoever, because you haven't seen it in the media?  Isn't that a bit hypocritical?  You hate Dungy for having a media presence, love Belichick for shunning it, but expect it from Vick in order to validate something you do not yet know.  

Seems to me you prefer only to have the media you wish and only when you wish to have it.  Seems to me, you should become one of those media people you hate.  Then you can control the content. 

Tough sh*t that people don't automatically cater to your wishes.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

FWIW, there is supposed to be another public apology. But rehabilitation means that he knows it was wrong and won't do it again.

Changing the "soul" of a person has to start generations before they are born by constructing what it means to be a certain race, class, creed. Prison won't dent the accreted reserves of "meaning" that surround being a young black man in the American South. Nor will millions of dollars. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Underdogg I dont useally get p issed at your post but go f*ck yourself man. stop trying to flip what I say around on me, if Dungy didnt have Vicks back you would give two sh*ts. When someone does what Vick did and then expects to go back to work in the NFL the way Vick did then he should have come out and asked for the forgiveness of the fans. Daunte Stallworth released a statement only hours after he was suspended because he truely was sorry for what he did. Vick on the other hand is sorry he lost his money, and sorry he went to jail, but until he asks for forgiveness he is clearly not sorry for murdering and torturing dogs.

I hate Dungy for being a preachy POS who was a p ussy of a head coach and got way more credit then he ever deserved. And because the media s ucks his d*ck for a living. And I love Belichick because he all about football and nothing else. Vick is a different story, if Dungy did what Vick did then I would fully expect and not hold it against him for him to come out and show some remorse and ask for forgiveness. Because it is a different situation i would not hold it against dungy. Vick did something horrible and he expects people to move on, so why hasnt he shown any remorse to the fans whose trust and violated?

You are being dense about this and you are clearly doing it on purpus, acting like i am wrong for expecting him to make a statement, have you not been watching sports your entire life? Cause anyone who watches sports know that when a player does what Vick did he makes a statement and shows remorse so why are you acting like its crazy for me to expect this? If Vick is remorseful he should show it and ask for forgiveness. If he thinks what he did was wrong then he would want forgiveness but since he clearly does not think what he did was wrong he wont ask for forgiveness. Try and flip it all you want dogg the man has done nothing to show the fans he is sorry for what he did. that is a fact.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

You know Tas, you have been jumping my sh*t pretty regularly lately, so I am not going to apologize for questioning you. 

Maybe you should go back to Vick's conviction to remind yourself of his apology.  Maybe you forgot about that.  It was 2 years ago. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzytivQsPGI

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

He did a press conference today and from what I have read he didnt use the words "I am sorry" a single time. all he talked about was jump starting his career again and how he will do all the right things. That is not remorse.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

How frequently should he say he's sorry?  He has committed to community service.  I just don't think you want to give him a pass, and some of it is because of Dungy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I just found and read a much more detailed transcript of his press conference and he seemed to show remorse for his actions. And all though i think he is just sayign what he thinks we all want to hear I will give him a little credit for at least saying how ashamed of himself he is. I still think he should have been banned for life but thats how I roll. But he did show some remorse which is better then him not showing any at all.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

How frequently should he say he's sorry?  He has committed to community service.  I just don't think you want to give him a pass, and some of it is because of Dungy.
    Posted by underdogg

No he was all over this before Dungy. The affiliation only gives him a chance to take shots at Dungy at the same time.

I know MVP, and Dungy or no Dungy, he probably has his feelings about Vick. I wish people were this sensitive to football players that beat their wives and rape teenage girls and the like.

But c'est la vie. We are a pet culture. People like their pets more than other people.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

How many second chances do all those dogs get?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

I know MVP, and Dungy or no Dungy, he probably has his feelings about Vick. I wish people were this sensitive to football players that beat their wives and rape teenage girls and the like.
    But c'est la vie. We are a pet culture. People like their pets more than other people.

Truly, many of us have strong anti-Vick opinions, and it has nothing to do with Dungy. As for Tony, I think what he's doing is admirable, my dislike for the guy was from a standpoint of him being the coach of a rival. I do think he gets overexposed in the media, but that's probably not all his doing. As for the low lifes who beat their wives, I think they should be thrown out of the league as well. Along with morons like Pacman and Burress who insist on going around armed to places they know could present potential trouble. I agree with Stallworth's suspension, he was being ignorant in driving home drunk when he should have taken a cab. But I feel these others (including Vick) deserve more punishment than Donte does. As for people liking their pets better than other people, I suppose that may be true. But consider this. None of my dogs or cats have ever stolen from me, lied to me, tried to cheat me, or made a pass at my girlfriend! That's more than I can say for a lot of people whom I had considered "friends"! But my stance on Vick is not that I believe the lives of those dogs were worth more than the life of another human. But the manner in which they were tortured and killed suggests some deep rooted mental problems, and antisocial tendencies. This is what disturbs me about Vick moreso than the species of his victims.

Good point, but the bleeding hearts won't give it any creedence. They will tell you either it's not about the dogs, but about Vick, or that as dogs they are of much "lesser value" than a human (even human trash like Vick). IMO, Vick got his "second chance" being released back into society. But I don't think that should include automatically being reinstated to the league. If, as Goodell states, playing in the NFL is a priveledge, I think Vick should have to sit out the season and prove himself before being allowed back in. But I'm sure his celebrity and other outside pressure caused Roger to cave in and reinstate Vick. I wonder if it had been a less talented and less popular player would he get the same consideration after the same offense.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

I just found and read a much more detailed transcript of his press conference and he seemed to show remorse for his actions. And all though i think he is just sayign what he thinks we all want to hear I will give him a little credit for at least saying how ashamed of himself he is. I still think he should have been banned for life but thats how I roll. But he did show some remorse which is better then him not showing any at all.
    Posted by MVPkilla

Now this one smacks of:  Daunte Stallworth was remorseful because he was a former patriot and I like him, but Vick, although he said the right things, was not remorseful because I don't like him and because Tony Dungy is involved wth him. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Posted by Harleyroadking111

None, but when I am having a steak, I don't ask that question about the cow I am eating either.  Nor do I ask this question of myself when I kill an ant or spider. 

Don't mistake me, what Vick did was disgraceful to the nth degree, but most legal analysts have suggested that his punishment was significantly more severe than a non-celebrity would have received for the same actions.  If this is true then he has paid his debt.  If you don't care for that then you need to work to increase the level of punishment doled out for such a crime, but I do accept your level unforgiving disgust for his actions. 

MVP (tas) seems to want to continue his hate because he doesn't think Vick has been remorseful (and I don't get that) and because he hates Dungy.

I personally think that all of this attention paid to vick (well its a media thing) by the NFL and Dungy is because they see Vick as an enormous opportunity for a positive message.  Vick was a #1 draft pick, at one time was the number one sold jersey, and has been hugely popular among all facets of fans.  If he is being honest, he can send such a strong message on so many levels that I think it behooves the NFL to take the risk.

Tom Brady or Peyton Manning could never deliver a postive message to as many markets on this subject as Vick can if for no other reason than they have never demonstrated that they can be so terrible on that kind of level.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from timithye. Show timithye's posts

I clicked on this post to read about the Pats and all I see is Dungy and Vick talk.  Shouldn't this thread be on an Eagles or Colts board?  Can someone change the title to the "Dungy thread, Part VI?"

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

There were many ways of not burdening one's conscience, of shunning responsibility, looking away, keeping silent.When the unspeakable truth of the Holocaust became known at the end of the war, all too many of us claimed that they had not known anything about it, orevensuspectedanything Whoeverrefuses to remember the inhumanity is prone to new risks of infection Seeking to forget makes exile all the longer; the secret of redemption lies in remembrance.

-Richard Freiherr, Baron von

Hell is yourself and the only redemption is when a person puts himself aside to feel deeply for another person.
    - Tennessee Williams

It is his capacity for self-improvement and self-redemption which most distinguishes man from the mere brute.
    - Aung San Suu Kyi

There are very few evils so absolute that redemption can be considered impossible to attain. As disgusting and reprehensible as Vick's actions were: do they meet the test of being unredeemable?

For most people, the answer would be no. That doesn't mean that Vick deserves or will get an easy ride on the road to redemption - far from it, judging from the reactions of people everywhere (especially at bdc). As much as I despise Vick and his actions - who am I to play God and say that he isn't entitled to take the "trail of tears" that he may have to go through to reach ultimate redemtpion within and away from himself. Furthermore, if I do that, why would I be surprised when some one else appoints themselves to play God on my own "long march."

I may not have liked Tony Dungy as a football coach nor agree with many of his views and feel free to talk against those positions. However, if (IMHO) he feels that to reach his own self-redemption as well as meeting the terms of what he sees as his covenant with God, he has to help Vick - who am I to judge him?

If people in general, and the news media in particular, give voice and publicity to Dungy's actions (especially in light of Vick) - perhaps they are remarking on something that is relatively uncommon today, the attempt of an individual trying in a very public and high-risk way to make a difference.

Our thoughts and reactions to this matter say a lot about ourselves, both as a group (whatever group we choose to belong to, if any) and as individuals.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Being the skeptic is easy.  Being the target is what takes courage.

Sections
Shortcuts