Fixing the defense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Fixing the defense

Time to get a proven d coordinator? Cleveland shut us down last yr. I have trouble believing that browns d was that talented. Our defensive schemes are vanilla. Houston went from a horrible d to a great one this yr. a good scheme can make up for our deficiencies. That and some of our high picks next year

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Re: Fixing the defense

In Response to Fixing the defense:
    Time to get a proven d coordinator? Cleveland shut us down last yr. I have trouble believing that browns d was that talented. Our defensive schemes are vanilla. Houston went from a horrible d to a great one this yr. a good scheme can make up for our deficiencies. That and some of our high picks next year
    Posted by dapats1281

any thoughts on what they should be doing season? what do you want to see more of that would make this d not vanilla?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I can fix it.  My dad has an awesome set of tools.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

In Response to Re: Fixing the defense:
    Posted by tcal2-

Plenty of nuts?  And bolts?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Whats wrong with the defense?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Hesus cristo! this team is leading the division and people complain??  I hope your kids never play a sport.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

As long as BB is the coach here, this defense is always going to be conservative. IT will never be a Rob Ryan "Defense."

Considering that BB pulled the trigger on enough pass rushers in the offseason, and they are actually starting to pan out a bit, the remaining hole is simply execution. The safety play has been atrocious to mediocre this season, and the cornerback play middle of the pack. 

They need to execute better, stay away from big penalties, and not let the big plays get behind them.

They also need to play with more awareness of the first down marker; I often see players lined behind the marker by 5 yards who are late stopping. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Hesus cristo! this team is leading the division and people complain??  I hope your kids never play a sport.
    Posted by Philskiw1

Yeah...Wins and Loses don't matter!  It is all about stats!  LOL

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

Posted by tcal2-

Destroy Lincoln!!!

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

In Response to Re: Fixing the defense : Destroy Lincoln!!!
    Posted by MoreRings

Righteous!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

They are ranked 10th best in points allowed against after being like 23rd in that area after 4-5 games.

They are currently 2nd in Interceptions with 15.

They give up a horrendous amount of yards. last or near last...

They are headed to where BB defenses always rank more or less, about 3rd - 10th in points allowed but many yards allowed, generate a good number of turnovers. I think there is a method to this.

I will admit a couple times the defensive scheme stood out as really quite bad but mostly trying to be something they are not. It seems though they are finding their identity and whoever is running the D is doing prety well lately.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

valid point, but we had Capers here and I feel that move didnt work because B.B. defense are disciplined oriented. Ryan, Greg Williams, Capers, etc all have chaotic schemes that work, but require playmakers and guys that can cover up weaknesses. I think what Wade did in Houston is fabulous, but he is also a head coach. Same thing w/Romeo, he didnt cut it as a head coach but the exp made him a great coordinator. What I am trying to say is that Bill has to promote from within because any prominent coordinator will have his own scheme. I guess this is why I am still confused why we brought in Capers, surely Bill knew what he was about...smh I hear a bunch of people trying to compare our D to Green Bays because they are 31st vs the pass, but they fail to see the offense that stays on schedule. Our offensive ineptess is what makes our bad D a worse unit. Also the Green Bay secondary is missing Nick Collins this year who is an underated guy, and a big playmaker for them and who controls the back end. This is why they are struggling but when the going gets tough, either Woody or Clay will make a play.
    Posted by patsfan76

Offensive ineptness? The Patriots have had a few slow starts which is concerning but ineptness?...they are at the top of the league in many categories...but I see your point, when the offense is off it make the defense seem worse.

Now GB...very underrated defense. Just look how many turnovers they get..not just this year but every year..it is coached. That defense is a lot like the PAtriots but a bit better against the pass and not as good against the run.

Rather have the Defense that leads the league in interceptions and forced fumbles but is last in yards allowed  than the defense that allows the least yards and forces the least number of turnovers...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Posted by Philskiw1

It isn't all about the stats. Just watch the games. We get a ton of yardage and do get turnover; however, a lot of those turnovers are by dumb passes from the offense. We've played against a lot of inept qbs who just shoot themselves in the foot. I dont get why people get so defiant of people have a negative thing to say about the team. Support the team all the way, just don't trust this d against better qbs. We have been a weak/ middle of the road defense the last couple seasons. Talk about being first in the afc east all you want, but we've done it three years in a row with little to show for it. The defense is part of the issue. It's all about getting better moving forward, not being complacent with being first in the east... And my personal opinion is getting a new d coordinator.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In Response to Fixing the defense : any thoughts on what they should be doing season? what do you want to see more of that would make this d not vanilla?
    Posted by seattlepat70

You cant change too much in season. I'd like to see guys like mccourty, spikes and Chung get healthy. Hopefully mccourty can find his old form again. I'd also like to see them start cutting down on Carter's reps once we clinch a spot. Totally against bbs philosophy, but he's an aging high motor player. Going to need him running strong if we have any shot in the post season

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In Response to Re: Fixing the defense : It isn't all about the stats. Just watch the games. We get a ton of yardage and do get turnover; however, a lot of those turnovers are by dumb passes from the offense. We've played against a lot of inept qbs who just shoot themselves in the foot. I dont get why people get so defiant of people have a negative thing to say about the team. Support the team all the way, just don't trust this d against better qbs. We have been a weak/ middle of the road defense the last couple seasons. Talk about being first in the afc east all you want, but we've done it three years in a row with little to show for it. The defense is part of the issue. It's all about getting better moving forward, not being complacent with being first in the east... And my personal opinion is getting a new d coordinator.
    Posted by dapats1281

I think I can help you out with the defiance. Most of the people that complain about the Pats defense are really complaining about a lack of stats by that D. And I mean the stats that really don't matter, which are any stats other than wins and losses. For some reason those people seem to think the Pats always had stifling defenses during their superbowl seasons, which is simply not true. They always had a middling but very opportunistic defense until the last few games of the season. Now I may be wrong here but this rise in the importance of the really meaningless stats has corresponded to the rise in popularity of fantasy football and a lot of the fans of real football, to whom only stat that matters is wins and losses are really getting sick of all the stat envy some supposed fans of the Pats, who are really fans of meaningless stats, have for the way other teams operate their defenses.  Did this help you at all?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Whats wrong with the defense?
    Posted by TrueChamp

I hope you're kidding !!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In Response to Re: Fixing the defense : I hope you're kidding !!
    Posted by Hetchinspete

I hope YOU'RE kidding. Really the D has been good enough to to get the Pats to the top of the AFC and second or third in the NFL. What more do you want?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Actually, the Pats' D in the SB years was very good stats wise. In yards per play they were 21st in 2001, 4th in 2003 and 9th in 2004. In points they were 6th, 1st and 2nd respectively. Overall, far better than the D we have had as of late.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: Fixing the defense : I hope you're kidding !!
    Posted by Hetchinspete

We have let up the following points the past 7 weeks

All of this with multiple injuries to key defensive players, including pretty much the entire secondary which was already considered to be one of the worst in the league.

No I was not kidding, the defense has been playing pretty well.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: Fixing the defense : We have let up the following points the past 7 weeks 3 16 20 17 16 21 19 All of this with multiple injuries to key defensive players, including pretty much the entire secondary which was already considered to be one of the worst in the league. No I was not kidding, the defense has been playing pretty well.
    Posted by TrueChamp

And all of those games except Dallas were against mediocre to poor offenses.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfiton. Show kjfiton's posts

In Response to Re: Fixing the defense : And all of those games except Dallas were against mediocre to poor offenses.
    Posted by BabeParilli

yes but other than the steelers, we held all of those teams below their season scoring average.

team        points vs patriots   season average 
    raiders        19                            23.5
    jets            21                            22.8
    dallas         16                            24.5
    pittsburgh   25                            22
    giants        20                            22.8
    jets           16                            22.8
    chiefs         3                             14.4

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Actually, the Pats' D in the SB years was very good stats wise. In yards per play they were 21st in 2001, 4th in 2003 and 9th in 2004. In points they were 6th, 1st and 2nd respectively. Overall, far better than the D we have had as of late.
    Posted by BabeParilli

Yup, the defense yards per game did lag behind like todays team, but was still much better than today... 2001 8th worse, 2003 7th best, 2004 9th best.

The offense on the other hand was not quite as good on paper as it is today.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In Response to Re: Fixing the defense : yes but other than the steelers, we held all of those teams below their season scoring average. team        points vs patriots   season average  raiders        19                            23.5 jets            21                            22.8 dallas         16                            24.5 pittsburgh   25                            22 giants        20                            22.8 jets           16                            22.8 chiefs         3                             14.4
    Posted by kjfiton

Interesting...I always thought the steelers game was an anomoly. The defensive scheme was to give Rothesburger the middle of the field 5-15 yards (but take away deep) and wait for him to make a mistake. He took what the Pats gave him without getting impatient and controlled the ball for much of the game. I prefer the less risk averse and opportunistic D of late.

As good or bad the defense has been this year this was one of only two examples of the coaches screwing up. The othe was the prevent D against the Giants in the last part of the game.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Sections
Shortcuts