Fixing the defense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Re: Fixing the defense

Lets face it. It looks like they can get a bye. Maybe home field throughout which will likely lead to playing Pitt or Ravens home or away. They will have to play good on both sides to beat those teams. We will see what they are made of then. Hard to evaluate them against who they will be playing going forward.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....  Methinks the OP spends to much time listening to color announcers like Dan Dierdork who looks only at the yardage against stat...  Please note, only thirteen points scored against the D yesterday except for one late garbage TD.  I'll take that against the Eagles.

Dierdork kept trying to defend his early commentary by saying the PATS D depends on the offense, completely forgetting that it is a team game and also not noticing that those three and outs and the lack of scoring on the Eagles part was not accomplished by the PATS offense.  

Sometimes what becomes common knowledge in the NFL, like the PATS lousy defense is not really knowledge but is instead a bias. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

This team will not beat the Goths or Steelers on the road in the playoffs without a spectacular offensive game plan (cf: Brady and some balanced running). I like what I am seeing from Vereen and Ridley.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Defense is playing better, but it's still not a strength of this team.  Fortunately, the AFC is not full of dangerous offenses, so we may be okay through the playoffs as long as the offense can rack up the points.  Our problem comes when we hit a good defense and our offense sputters.  Then we need the defense to step up. Can they do that against a better QB than they've faced in recent weeks?  I'm not sure of the answer yet, but hey, that's why the games are interesting to watch . . .

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: Fixing the defense:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fixing the defense : would you include baltimore there? i dont they have the weapons. they jsut need ot avoid a flacco off day. he did fine agains a much better d in sf.
    Posted by brdbreu[/QUOTE]

Tough to say. I think Flacco, when forced to pass from behind, is a different QB. When they still get to hand off to Ray Rice he can be dangerous. 

A lot of that game will be on the defense. If Ne is facing an awesome "D" you know the offense is going to be slowed. Only two offenses have scored more than 20 points (without special teams help) on the Ravens. The Bengals and the Titans. Both of those teams essentially just boxed out the Raven's offense, and gave their own "O" time to rack up FGs and a couple TDs. 

The key to beating the Ravens is to get on top, stay one top, and win a battle of attrition against a defense that is dominant against the run and blitzing/opportunistic against the pass. 

RE: My other post. Yes, being cognizant of the 3rd down marker makes it harder to stay behind your man .... but that is football. That is the job of a corner and safety in zone. NE tends to sacrifice 3rd downs for "safety nets."

OTOH, if the pass is underneath, I notice that they are lined a little too deep sometimes. I don't think it's coached. I think they might be out of position. But who knows for sure? BB does. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]Defense is playing better, but it's still not a strength of this team.  Fortunately, the AFC is not full of dangerous offenses, so we may be okay through the playoffs as long as the offense can rack up the points.  Our problem comes when we hit a good defense and our offense sputters.  Then we need the defense to step up. Can they do that against a better QB than they've faced in recent weeks?  I'm not sure of the answer yet, but hey, that's why the games are interesting to watch . . .
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

That is it in a nutshell. Getting out of the AFC means shutting down Flacco and Big Ben and giving the offense a chance to get into a rhythm. 

The NFC? We'll worry about that when we get to it ... but Rogers and Brees are the only guys operating like Brady. And which team has the worst defense of the three is really undecided to me at this point. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fixing the defense : I believe the anomaly lies with execution. Too many mistakes by the offense, defense and special teams did them in. A better defense would not have allowed the Jets to be 4-4 in the red zone so I agree with you there. Ravens, Steelers, Texans, Raiders, those are the teams we are likely to face in the playoffs. Flacco, Roethlisberger, Leinart, Palmer, I'm quivering.
    Posted by digger0862[/QUOTE]

They're not the issue. The issue is the defenses of Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Houston and Oakland, all of which have enough talent and pass rush to give the OLine and Brady fits. The question is if the Pats score less than 20 points in those games, does the Pat's defense hold the other teams to less than 20?

The main issue for the defense is really being able to make a stop when they need to (see Buffalo, Jets, Giants, Dallas). I hope everyone isn't going to get too enthralled by playing out the remaining schedule full of Palko, Vince the Immortal Young, Painter, Grossman, Moore and the Ivy Leager. OUR DEFENSE SHOULD LOOK GOOD AGAINST THAT LINEUP OF BTEAM QUARTERBACKS. The playoffs will be when the defensive rubber hits the road.

BTW, Vince the Immortal just finished with 400 yards passing....what do you think a real quarterback would do to that pass defense?