Flacco channels his inner "Jets" Sal Alosi

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Flacco channels his inner "Jets" Sal Alosi

Here's a couple of paragraphs and a link to the rest of the article.From yahoo.com:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/joe-flacco-tokld-teammates-tackle-ted-ginn-sideline-165726030--nfl.html

It's a good thing that Joe Flacco has made himself into an "elite" (and soon to be very highly-paid) quarterback, because the Baltimore Ravens' signal-caller and Super Bowl MVP needs a lot of work as a special teams coach.

With four seconds left in Super Bowl XLVII, San Francisco 49ers return man Ted Ginn, Jr. stood ready to accept a free kick from punter Sam Koch. It was one play after Koch took an intentional safety to give Baltimore a better chance of pinning the 49ers back on their side of the field. It also made the score 34-31, and the Ravens were very much aware of Ginn's return skills.

As a matter of fact, Flacco was telling his teammates on the sideline to go onto the field and tackle Ginn if the speedster got beyond the Ravens' return coverage team. Ginn returned the ball 31 yards from the San Francisco 19-yard line to midfield, saving referee Jerome Boger (who did not, under any circumstances, have a great Super Bowl himself) from having to deal with what would have been the weirdest play in Super Bowl history.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Re: Flacco channels his inner

Interesting question - you would get a defensive penalty moving the ball 15 yds closer to the goal and having an extra play to maybe score either a field goal or TD. But you wouldn't lose the game on the return.

However, I think you could expect the commish to penalize the team and player severely - like take away all the draft picks and millions of dollars in fines for bringing the game into disrepute.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to mia76's comment:

Interesting question - you would get a defensive penalty moving the ball 15 yds closer to the goal and having an extra play to maybe score either a field goal or TD. But you wouldn't lose the game on the return.

However, I think you could expect the commish to penalize the team and player severely - like take away all the draft picks and millions of dollars in fines for bringing the game into disrepute.

This is from the yahoo article:

Under the rules, Boger could have awarded the 49ers a touchdown anyway. Per Rule 12, Section 3, Article 3 of the NFL Rules Manual:

"Palpably Unfair Act. A player or substitute shall not interfere with play by any act which is palpably unfair. Penalty: For a palpably unfair act: Offender may be disqualified. The Referee, after consulting his crew, enforces any such distance penalty as they consider equitable and irrespective of any other specified code penalty. The Referee may award a score."

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

This is from the yahoo article:

Under the rules, Boger could have awarded the 49ers a touchdown anyway. Per Rule 12, Section 3, Article 3 of the NFL Rules Manual:

"Palpably Unfair Act. A player or substitute shall not interfere with play by any act which is palpably unfair. Penalty: For a palpably unfair act: Offender may be disqualified. The Referee, after consulting his crew, enforces any such distance penalty as they consider equitable and irrespective of any other specified code penalty. The Referee may award a score."

Woops - thanks for clarifying - I clearly did not go to the linked article. I still think on top of the loss, the commish would get involved with some serious penalties as well!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Didn't we hear that the Jets learned that trick from the Patriots, and didn't Fox air video of the pats engaging in the same kind of shenanigans?  I know I remember a video of Belichick dancing with Marvin Harrison to keep him from getting back into the field of play. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Thats a good question.. They should make it an automatic touchdown in that case to prevent something like that from happening. That would have been crazy if it had happened. Jim Harbaugh was already fuming about the no call PI on the previous drive. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

Woops - thanks for clarifying - I clearly did not go to the linked article. I still think on top of the loss, the commish would get involved with some serious penalties as well!

That was my first thought before I read the rule as well.But really,the rule allowing the score is the best way to handle it.

Goodell would probably bring the hammer down on a player who did that though,I'm not sure if he'd penalize the team or not.The Jets got a $100,000 fine for Sal Alosi's tripping but he was a coach and there was a pattern to their "wall" being set up.

Sections
Shortcuts