Flags for Colts!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Re: Flags for Colts!

TP - I appreciate the honesty of your post, but I ask this - did Brady have these ailments?  Belichick almost specifically rejected these claims.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

MB - down boy - I never commented on the Mathis bad call. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Sim - you may very well be right.  The colts may have given young frankenstein the brain he needs.  For that, if it happens, the colts can only blame themselves.  Lets hope the colts know what they were doing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Dogg(g):

You asked: "...did Brady have these ailments?  Belichick almost specifically rejected these claims."

We'll never really know. But, BB isn't going to advertise it if Brady is hurt. Why pin a bulleye on a part of your QB's anatomy?

Whether he was or not (and I think he was), the guy is getting pressured and pounded...while Peyton gets pampered. The Pats OL needs to start pampering  Brady with the same zeal and success that the Indy OL affords Peyton...if the Pats hope to be a contending team. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Dogg~

Thanx brother...That means a ton to me.  Keen  awareness to sense that I've been through a ton in 33 short years...an old soul, ya dig?  Btw, Got nothin' against you one single bit, just rivalries, ya know?  I try to make fun of Me, My Team, My City, My Region, Nationalities, Just the same as I do a rivals (see-Pat's D vs Jets D & My own thread on how The Patriots have the most formidable mascot because the nice colonials brought diseases & broken treatises for the redskins which we now celebrate as holidays)...  I try pretty hard to be outlandish in my points for one simple reason: the antonym is pettiness & personal insults.  Ya know Dogg, lol, I don't know IF you do, BUT I remember the very first time we went back and forth, and to put it bluntly, I was being a D#ck...  LOL, And You called me out on it!  I wrote back that I respected you afterwards, and ANYTIME (this holds true then as now)-I'm actin' like a j#rk or IF in someway I say something too personal, to just call me on it...  Same way You did then...Someone tellin' it like it is with maturity and any sense of humility, I inevitably fold lol...every time.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

TP - The public would rather hear what you said than suggesting that Brady was injured, even if that is the case.  We all know never to question the mighty BB. 

As to the OL, I don't know what to tell you.  What is different this year for the pats?  Age does happen.  The colts had to part ways with Tarik Glenn (and then suffered through his replacement, a bad pick by Polian) and then had to say goodbye to very good guard Jake Scott. 

I admit, that I don't get Belichick.  His personnel methods are different than the colts, but you cannot argue with his success.  Vollmer appears to be the real deal.  Pats have an OL pro bowler.  Its not all lost there.  Some of it could be in the passing game.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Laz - you are real if nothing else.  I do get sideways with some (names not at this time worth mentioning).  Fact of the matter is, I like being on the board, have respect for pats fans and pats (not belichick) in general, and generally understand that I am a guest in a house with no owner yet the mailbox claims a resident. 

Anyway, I will try to remain respectful to most, no way I can be that to all which means the pats take some shots along the way, but I appreciate you and many others here. 

Thanks to you.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Dogg~
    First, Can't ask ya for anything more (and wouldn't anyway)...  And not to completely alter this subject (yet I will), but I've been obsessed with this 2012 thing (for several years now).  What does this have to do with Our NFL Teams, right?  Well, idk...so entertain a digression momentarilly.  This lifelong sense of fatalism (yes, I'm a 'downer')-has come seemingly to a head.  And perhaps, It's merely my own mortality and abscence of faith (T.S. Eliot-"I grow old, I grow old, I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled" lol).  Perhaps it's something larger...  I'm acutely aware that people have been predicting "End Times" forever.  In 19th Century New England, There was a band of people following a man ("The Millerites") who housands of followers, and He did these fantastically complex biblical calculations, and anyway, He predicted that the very end would come in 1842 (or something).  When it of course did not, He then recalculated-saying essentially, "Whoops I didn't carry the 1, So it's NOW in 3 more years."  This shows Us 2 things: 1-(sic) People have been divining The End forever and all over & more importantly, 2- If you want to be a Prophet, Don't predict that The Apocalypse will come within your own lifetime, (because IF i don't...oh boy, someone's gonna be p!ssed).  Still, idk...

My simple point is, For ANY of Us to survive at all, We ALL have to recognize not only our environment's, our own, but other people's fragility (for lack of a better term).  Then we have to, somehow, & man- someway, Get over these pathetically trivial differences we have (lol...RE: Religion and Rival NFL Teams).  Dogg~ Not that this will stop me from makin' fun of The Colts.  Yeats once said (ironically in a poem entitled, "The Second Coming")-"The worst are filled with passionate intensity, The Best lack all conviction."  I used to take this as a calling card to remain completely neutral, and subsequently therefore, Open-Minded in all matters.  But maybe, We Need to have some more Passionate Intensity, just for the right things (before-"Things fall apart, the center cannot hold").  

Sorry ALL for this sunday night sobriety-check...Hopefully Harley or Root can now come in here with some 1-liner, so we can rest better and peacefully in the fuzzy known...   But I'm out for now... 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Dogg(g): You stated the following:

"...The public would rather hear what you said than suggesting that Brady was injured, even if that is the case.  We all know never to question the mighty BB."

RESPONSE: Even "the pious one", Tony Dungy, admitted to fudging on the injury reports. Again, why let the opposition know that your star player has bad ribs, a bad knee...etc. It just makes them a target. 

As to the OL, I don't know what to tell you.  What is different this year for the pats?  Age does happen.  The colts had to part ways with Tarik Glenn (and then suffered through his replacement, a bad pick by Polian) and then had to say goodbye to very good guard Jake Scott.

RESPONSE: I don't know what to tell you, either. I see it at least partially as an attitude thing. In Indy, no one is allowed to come near Peyton. Unfortunately, I don't see the same intensity on the Pats' OL. Whatever the reason, this can no longer be tolerated. Tom Brady won't last more than another season or two, at the rate he's getting beaten up.

For the Pats, the main problems appear to be OT. LT Matt Light is aging and overrated...while RT Nick Kaczur is a turnstile. RG Steven Neal is old, injury prone, and done. Look for Light not to be resigned. Sabastien Vollmer will start at LT, and Kaczur will be moved inside to RG. The Pats will pick up a RT through free agency, or the draft. 

As for your Colts, LT Charlie Johnson (formerly LG), is the unsung hero on your team. The guy deserves a ton of credit, and a ton of money, for stepping in and sealing off Peyton's blind side. Center Jeff Saturday takes a licking, but keeps right on ticking...all the way to the pro bowl. The line has stayed healthy all season, which helps.    

I admit, that I don't get Belichick.  His personnel methods are different than the colts, but you cannot argue with his success.  Vollmer appears to be the real deal.  Pats have an OL pro bowler.  Its not all lost there.  Some of it could be in the passing game.

RESPONSE: It all starts at OL. A QB, Peyton included, can't get things done when he's constantly being harassed.

Credit Peyton for working good looking youngsters Austin Collie and Pierre Garcon into the offense. Manning has been great, especially considering that he gets little from his running game. Does anyone even remember Anthony Gonzalez in Indy?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Laz -
    fcuk it all.  Live your life and find your happiness.  Do your part.  You can't expect others to do the same, but just the same, feel satisfied in your own effort.  Obviously, easier said than done, especially when the demons are dragging you donw, but day to day work to find the light.  IMO it's there, and even if its fleeting, its enough and wonderful in its small frame of time. 

TP - Belichick is too good to let it slip, but the d is different.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from number1troll. Show number1troll's posts

illegal block in the back on return after colts 1st FG

the ref called the wrong number. it was #84 OF THE COLTS that got blocked in the back. At about the 10:43 mark of the first quarter at about the 15 yard line #84 of the Colts was blocked in the back by #82 of the ravens. at the time the kick returner was at about the 11-yard line, about 2 or 3 yards from #84 of the colts. that's why the ball was spotted about the 8 yard line post-penalty. the ref got the numbers wrong. what a conspiracy.

also, one (and maybe one more) penalty prior to this point was not called -- late hit/face mask out of bounds on garcon reception; possible ray lewis helmet spear on dallas clark in middle of field.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maninCA. Show maninCA's posts

Laststat:

Ok, I am a troll.  Does that make you happy?  Call me whatever you like, whatever works for you.  I've read FAR worse on here than anything I've ever posted.  I think the worst is when some of the fans here attack each other by claiming that they are too stupid to logic, etc. etc., things that really get into a personal level.  

As they say, "when in Rome, do as in Rome".  I believe my comments fall right in line with the general vibe here.

Aside from that, I am happy to discuss anything sports related with you, as long as I do not have to back down from my point of view.  My logic, again, is as follows:

(1) the thought that the NFL would conspire to held such a small market team (indianapols) win is a bit absurd.  If anything, the New England/East coast market, along with their celbrity model looking QB would make a much better choice.  Like I said though, I don't believe in such consipiracies.

(2) It would be difficult, if not impossible, to mask a league wide officiating conspiracy.  I could see it on an official by official basis, as with Donahue in NBA who had a gambling problem, but he did not shave points for any one specific team.  Is the argument that these officials are on the Colts payroll or something?  Any other logic just doesn't make sense.

(3) as I said before, the Pats got plenty of calls along the way en route to 2 of their superbowl wins.  The Tuck call and holding/shoving of Colts receivers in 2004 are two examples.  Of course you are going to disagree with me and others on this issue, but it's pretty hard not to at least admit those were suspect calls/non calls.

(4) All great teams get calls, from the Lakers to the Yankees to the 49ers to the Pats.  Living in California you will get two drastically different points of views on the Lakers/Kings Conference finals in 2001 (I belive that was the year).  The bottom line is, the calls that go a winning teams' way come under heavier scrutiny because they win more close games than other teams.  As a result, the favorable calls in those close games will always raise the ire of the losing team.  If the Colts were a bad team, I am willing to bet no one would ever complain about the calls that went their way.

So there you have it.  That is my response to this thread.  My guess is that although I'm being civil and logical you'll come back with something about how I should leave here, I'm a troll, and how I am just provoking with references to the Pats 2001 and 2004 seasons, even though other people here literally cus others out on other threads or belittle the intelligence of the author of the thread if they disagree with the topic.  That is fine.  

Sorry but these are my points of view on the Colts.  If there is one thing I appreciate here, it's that you guys are true to the east coast spirit.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from number1troll. Show number1troll's posts

freeney being held at 7:52 1Q not called

or flacco could well have been sacked on this play.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"The Tuck call and holding/shoving of Colts receivers in 2004 are two examples.  Of course you are going to disagree with me and others on this issue, but it's pretty hard not to at least admit those were suspect calls/non calls."

Actually not. The Tuck call was applied according to the rule and was an accurate interpretation of the rule which is still in existence up to today. I happen to disagree with the rule and think it should be abolished, but it was called against the Pats earlier that same season. 

The holding/shoving of receivers was not illegal at that time but was made illegal after the fact by the rules committee. Will leave it to you to decide if that was a good thing or not. I felt the Pats at that time took full advantage of the existing rules regarding receiver coverage, just at the Colts take full advantage of the existing PI rules which have been shifted much more in the favor of the receiver. I'm one of those that doesn't hold it against the Colts but wants to see the PI rules changed. 

Having said that, I'm sure the Pats got a beneficial call or two during their Super Bowl run, just the two you cited are wrong. It takes some good calls and some luck and some savvy to win Super Bowls. The Colts are built to succeed under today's NFL rules like no other team except maybe the Saints.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I was going to comment on the game and the invented flags for the Colts but there weren't many really agregious calls although the Helmet to Helmet call on Ray Ray was bogus! Thats how these games are called in the House that Payton built and anyplace else his royal hind azz plays.I'm really disappointed in the Chokers from San Diego,another post season game another post season Choke!
    The Jets played great defense and Philip Rivers and the gang gagged again...LT the retirement home is now officially excepting applications for your admitance.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Ok, I am a troll.  Does that make you happy?  Call me whatever you like, whatever works for you.  I've read FAR worse on here than anything I've ever posted.  I think the worst is when some of the fans here attack each other by claiming that they are too stupid to logic, etc. etc., things that really get into a personal level.  

As they say, "when in Rome, do as in Rome".  I believe my comments fall right in line with the general vibe here.

Wow, two different denials of responsibility in a single post.

I am not responsible for my posts because I am just following the crowd.
    Other posts are worse than mine.

Way to man up there.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Jules,

I did get a chance to watch the Mathis offsides this morning. His jump could have gone either way actually. As the ball begins to move his helmet is in the neutral zone (the neutral zone being the length of the football). But that isn't the key. He actually lines up in the neutral zone. His hand is definitely down in the neutral zone prior to the snap.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

Yeah, Root, it's close and I can see how they'd call in the neutral zone, but it's an inch or two either way.  My main thesis is to dispell the notion that the Colts get "all the calls".  As I re-watch the game, I saw an instance in which a fairly nice punt return at around 10:00 minutes to go in the 2nd quarter is nullified by "multiple fouls".  There was a block in the back and a holding, I believe.  They never showed a replay.  Every time there is a hold or block in the back called against a Colt opponent and there's no replay, it's held up in this forum of further proof of some kind of Colt conspiracy.  I'll let you know what else I notice that is conveniently ignored by this forum...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Are you saying the jump is close? As noted, the jump to me isn't relevant - he lined up offsides.

As to keeping us informed of the calls ignored by this forum, I am sure you will.Smile

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

I just saw the sequence at the end of the 1st half where the Colts were beneficiaries of a PI call against Foxworth, and a "leading with the helmet" penalty against Ray Lewis (on Collie).  Both seemed legit to me.  Foxworth got beat by a double move by Wayne and reached out and grabbed him.  It was a little hard to tell how much of a grab it was without seeing a different angle, but it appeared to slow Wayne down significantly, and otherwise Wayne would have been right where the pass ended up.  The Lewis penalty seemed pretty clear cut to me also.  There's one angle where you can tell he left his feet to launch himself at Collie without ever putting out his arms at all.  Good breaks for the Colts I admit, but both calls were correct and would generally be called in any game with any team...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

I just saw the Brackett play on Rice.  They never really showed a great look at the play.  I would say that if Brackett initiated contact to make Rice fall down, it should definitely have been called PI.  However, all we could see from behind was Brackett's hand coming up and deflecting the ball.  Since face guarding is no longer considered PI, that can't be a basis for PI.  Root, you're always pretty quick with the rule-book...is there anything else that could make this PI?  From what I saw, there was nothing on that play that could be called PI, but I allow that there could have been some handfighting or contact that couldn't be seen from behind...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

The Cory Ivy PI call...I don't know what to think about that.  The announcers sure thought it was PI, but the pass seemed uncatchable.  The replay only showed the last couple of steps before Reed's interception.  It's possible that Ivy shoved him for some time, thus making the pass uncatchable and placing Clark too far from the ball to catch it or prevent the interception.  But, once again, it's impossible to tell without a better replay.  From what I've seen, I don't think I'd call that PI...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

Of course, it will never happen but pass interference should be abolished.
    That's right. And the numnut horse-collar rule should be abolished. And, other than using the helmet, roughing the passer should be abolished. If you're supposed to be a great, well-paid player, you should earn your keep and not be reduced to some idiot waving his hands at the refs ( yes, I'm aware that Tom has done this ). The way the NFL is "progressing", it will soon be the TFL ( Touch Football League ). Where's Chuck Bednarik when you really need him?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

I just saw the Brackett play on Rice.  They never really showed a great look at the play.  I would say that if Brackett initiated contact to make Rice fall down, it should definitely have been called PI.  However, all we could see from behind was Brackett's hand coming up and deflecting the ball.  Since face guarding is no longer considered PI, that can't be a basis for PI.  Root, you're always pretty quick with the rule-book...is there anything else that could make this PI?  From what I saw, there was nothing on that play that could be called PI, but I allow that there could have been some handfighting or contact that couldn't be seen from behind...

When the defender is not playing the ball, pretty much any contact goes against him.

In this case, you see Rice turned and looking for the ball and slowing down a bit to adjust for the pass - that is where contact happens. Even if Rice initiates contact in going for the ball, it is Brackett's fault for being in the way and not playing the ball.

If there were no contact whatsoever and Brackett waved his hand in Rice's face, that is perfectly legal in the NFL. But the emphasis is that there can't be any contact.

Remember our discussion on "incidental contact" - In this case, if Brackett were turned looking for the ball and Rice slowed down also going for the ball the contact would be dismissed as incidental. They both have a right to play the ball. It would be OPI if Rice did something overt (like grabbing an arm) that restricted Brackett from making a play.

I agree with you on the Foxworth PI and I already posted that I thought Ray Ray's hit was a legit call.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from maninCA. Show maninCA's posts

BTS;

In reference to your point about the 2004 Colts/Pats game, was there a rule change or just a reinvested effort to enforce the existing rules in place?  I have been wathcing football since 1981, I am not aware of any point in time in the modern era when it has been legal to hold a receiver as you posted "the holding/shoving was not illegal . . ".  I can remember a specific drive at the end of that game where the Colts were down by just one score (although Pats had outplayed them) and the Colt receiver jerseys were visibly pulled.  Can you site the rule change? 

As for the tuck call, that ball was not "tucked".  Brady had completed the tuck motion and was simply holding the ball in the pocket.  His left hand even began to move off of the ball.  If Roethlisberger pumps and reclasps the ball in his hand, at what point are we going to say that he has finished the tuck?  Does he get a full second after the ball hits his hand? two seconds?  It's not as if Woodson hit Brady at the exact moment the ball came down into his left hand.  If that had happened, then I agree, it was just a tuck.  The fact is, Brady held that ball a good second and was just standing in the pocket as any other QB does, he got hit, and then fumbled.  Most everyone agrees it was a bad call.

Like I said though, I am not suprised to see that you will not even admit that those are debateable calls at least.  In your mind, both instances were correct through and through.  It's hard to see that as an unbiased position and then agree on the Colts.

Laststat:

(1) I can see your point on Manning, although I am not sure the league has any vested interest in corporate sponors.  The NBA is a bit more proactive and punitive when it comes to league reputation, but they do not hesitate to hand down stiff penalties or publicly criticize any player, regardless of how it hurts their marketability.  NFL is not much different.

Whether a player can be marketed or not depends upon who he is, not necessarily how many titles he has won.  Or course everyone loves a winner, but If that logic held true, Brady would receive far more endorsements than Manning, as he holds 2 more superbowl rings than Peyton.  

It seems now that you have taken up the argument that its' not the Colts that are getting the flags, but instead refs are calling specifically for Peyton. I can agree with that logic to a point, but its' no league wide conspiracy.  Like I said, all great players in any sport get calls.  It's not fair, I agree.  But I can remember pulling my hair out in games I rooted against the Pats when Brady wouuld get this call or that call.  Same thing with Jordan when I rooted against Bulls, or Kobe when I rooted against Lakers, and on and on.  It shouldn't be that way, but that's the way it is in professional sports.

Altough Peyton may sell jerseys,  for your argument to remain salient, wouldn't it make sense that the Colts would have to be the biggest market team?  They are not http://www.cnbc.com/id/34259984.  If fact, the Colts only rank #9 on the list of highest selling merchandise.  I am sorry, but that argument just does not make sense.

(3)  I think its' just a perception that the Colts get late calls.  Can you name a couple?  The ones usually posted here are debateable at best, such as the 4th qtr PI call at the end of the Colts/Pats regular season game.  I can think of one BLATANT call that was rediculous in the Colts favor (2005 divisional playoff where Palomalu intercepted Manning and was called incomplete), but not too many others. 

Like I said, great teams are involved in winning more close games, so they inevitably have a higher degree of calls scrutinized.  I heard the exact same complaints growing up as a 49er fan.  Every game we won was because Debartalo paid off the officials, etc.  People just couldn't handle the fact that we knew how to win in the clutch. 

(4) I agree to a point, but its' a little like complaining about sports in general.  I agree, it's not fair that a great pitcher gets a call out of of reputation.  It wasn't fair when Shaq would get breathed on underneath the hoop and a foul would be called.  It would be nice if all players were treated equally and the refs would stay the F out of the game and let the players decide it.  That's just not the reality though.

IMO, it wasn't fair in 2004 when the league wanted to see a young, star struck model looking QB win his 3rd superbowl in 4 years and allowed the opposing receivers to have their jerseys yanked on, to be shoved before the ball arrived . . . . . See how easily that argument can be made against the Pats too?  I don't believe it to be true, but anyone can logically complain about the same thing for you guys.

Sections
Shortcuts