Flynn traded? Where does that leave Mallett?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Flynn traded? Where does that leave Mallett?

Well, another domino in the QB game is about to fall. Friday afternoon, ESPN's Ed Werder reported that a deal involving Seattle Seahawks backup QB Matt Flynnwas "imminent." Then, there was a report that the Buffalo Bills had ducked out of the mix, following the Jacksonville Jaguars who were reportedly out already. That left the Oakland Raiders, and while there's been no official word from either of the two teams yet, Seahawks WR Doug Baldwin tweeted news of the trade via his verified Twitter account. 

"Wishing Flynn the best on his endeavors in Oakland. Sad to see a friend leave, but excited for his opportunity. Great QB, even better man." 

With Flynn in Oakland, the Raiders are expected to release veteran QB Carson Palmer. This does not close the door on Oakland selecting a QB in this year's draft (even as high as No. 3 overall), but it does give them a pretty good insurance policy in case they don't find anyone else to start. 

Upon release, Palmer will look for his next team, and based upon a report from Yahoo! Sports this week, the USC product is more concerned with landing with a contending team than getting himself another big contract or having the chance to start again. Arizona has been cited as a possible home, though it'd be very optimistic to call Bruce Arians' new team a contender at this point.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Re: Flynn traded? Where does that leave Mallett?

You think anyone is calling BB and asking him, hey what you want for Mallet?

I don't think the guy is on anybody's radar.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

According to the posters on this board Mallett is worth a #1 andLombardi wants him for sure.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Yeah, that whole Lombardi-Mallett thing took on a life of its own for awhile.

As a separate matter, what was it that Oakland gave up to get Carson Palmer and now they're about to release him?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

According to the posters on this board Mallett is worth a #1 andLombardi wants him for sure.

Those very same posters keep telling us how he was supposed to be a top 15 pick too - it kind of cracks me up to hear people say how we are going to get a first round pick for a guy three years after he went in the third round. LOL!

The guy has looked average at best in the preseason, he's got a long delivery and his decision making looks off to me. He went in the third for a reason. I'd be shocked if we get a second round pick for this kid. Shocked. And for the record, a guy like Lombardi would put his career at risk if he gave us anything more than a second round pick for this kid...even that would eventually get him fired if he doesn't turn into a very solid QB. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Those very same posters keep telling us how he was supposed to be a top 15 pick too - it kind of cracks me up to hear people say how we are going to get a first round pick for a guy three years after he went in the third round. LOL!

The guy has looked average at best in the preseason, he's got a long delivery and his decision making looks off to me. He went in the third for a reason. I'd be shocked if we get a second round pick for this kid. Shocked. And for the record, a guy like Lombardi would put his career at risk if he gave us anything more than a second round pick for this kid...even that would eventually get him fired if he doesn't turn into a very solid QB. 

I have been critical on the board for free agency decisions. Called every name in the book by many including that moron Rusty. For the most part I have been VERY much on board with everything other than free agency that BB has done. However, my one in season pet peeve is his inability to get the #2 QB any snaps in the season. 

Other than Cassell, has any other QB that played for the Pats since Brady became starter gone to another team and played well? (Let's rule out Bledsoe) ....I know Hoyer went to the Cards, but has he even played a single snap yet? 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

What does Flynn have to do with Mallett? Someone will trade for him or they won't, I don't see the connection? There are still a bunch of teams that need a QB. What they get for Flynn will be interesting, although he has a much bigger contract than Mallett, so it's not apples to apples.

I don't know too many people saying he's worth a top 10 pick. The early conjecture was Mallett and the 29th to CLE for their 6th pick, which is not the same as a top 10 pick. The 29th pick has a lot of value.

I never heard any talk of a long delivery with Mallett, nor have I seen anything like that when I have seen him play. I don't think there's any doubt about his arm, it's probably as strong as there is in the game. There's doubt about other things, decision making, accuracy at times, etc.

And Hoyer appeared in two games for AZ, one start. 30 of 53, 1 TD, 2 INT, 330 yards. Start was vs. SF, 19 of 34, 225/1/1.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I like the idea of having a QB with his type of arm strength and years in this system,. Brady is 36 this season. I never understood why people think back up qbs who never did anything would ever garner top draft picks?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I have been critical on the board for free agency decisions. Called every name in the book by many including that moron Rusty.

What's amazing is going through these threads and reading posts and then looking at the posters first post date... it's eye opening.  It basically breaks down like this......

The majority of posters who's first post dates are 2011 and newer fit the mold of not being able to be objective, quickly bash those who can be objective.  They pull the company line, and act as if the the team can do no wrong.

Then you have the posters who's first post dates are prior to 2011.  The majority of these posters are more objective and have to spend half their time arguing their points because the 2011 and newer people can't be objective and can't accept that it's possible that their team can make a bad move.  While being some of the biggest Pats fans, they can see the team isn't perfect and doesn't always make the right choices.

Now maybe there are so many posters with first post dates of 2011 and newer because they are on their 2nd, 3rd, 4th or more screen names.  They use the same excuse.. I don't know what I did wrong to get banned, there must have been a mistake.  C'mon, it's because of the name calling, it's the attacking of the posters who can be objective.  I can just imagine what outsiders who come here and check this forum out must think... What a bunch of heads in the sand fans.  

Just because you can be objective doesn't make you any less of a fan.  The Pats don't always make the right moves and it's okay to question the things you don't agree with.  Keep posting and don't let all the rose colored glasses wearing fans alter the way you post on here.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

I have been critical on the board for free agency decisions. Called every name in the book by many including that moron Rusty.

What's amazing is going through these threads and reading posts and then looking at the posters first post date... it's eye opening.  It basically breaks down like this......

The majority of posters who's first post dates are 2011 and newer fit the mold of not being able to be objective, quickly bash those who can be objective.  They pull the company line, and act as if the the team can do no wrong.

Then you have the posters who's first post dates are prior to 2011.  The majority of these posters are more objective and have to spend half their time arguing their points because the 2011 and newer people can't be objective and can't accept that it's possible that their team can make a bad move.  While being some of the biggest Pats fans, they can see the team isn't perfect and doesn't always make the right choices.

Now maybe there are so many posters with first post dates of 2011 and newer because they are on their 2nd, 3rd, 4th or more screen names.  They use the same excuse.. I don't know what I did wrong to get banned, there must have been a mistake.  C'mon, it's because of the name calling, it's the attacking of the posters who can be objective.  I can just imagine what outsiders who come here and check this forum out must think... What a bunch of heads in the sand fans.  

Just because you can be objective doesn't make you any less of a fan.  The Pats don't always make the right moves and it's okay to question the things you don't agree with.  Keep posting and don't let all the rose colored glasses wearing fans alter the way you post on here.

I have to agree TFB... too many people just want to start arguements.  This is actually my second screen name, my first account was lost because I used my military email to sign up and now that's gone. This board has changed so much over the years and the people in it, but one thing for sure is the true football conversation eroded.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

What does Flynn have to do with Mallett? Someone will trade for him or they won't, I don't see the connection? There are still a bunch of teams that need a QB. What they get for Flynn will be interesting, although he has a much bigger contract than Mallett, so it's not apples to apples.

I don't know too many people saying he's worth a top 10 pick. The early conjecture was Mallett and the 29th to CLE for their 6th pick, which is not the same as a top 10 pick. The 29th pick has a lot of value.

I never heard any talk of a long delivery with Mallett, nor have I seen anything like that when I have seen him play. I don't think there's any doubt about his arm, it's probably as strong as there is in the game. There's doubt about other things, decision making, accuracy at times, etc.

And Hoyer appeared in two games for AZ, one start. 30 of 53, 1 TD, 2 INT, 330 yards. Start was vs. SF, 19 of 34, 225/1/1.

what does Flynn have to do with Mallett? Are you serious? Firstly, there are only a handful of teams looking for a QB. If one of them does trade for Flynn, that takes away one team that may have traded for Mallett. Second, correct me if I am wrong,  Didn't Flynn establish his worth from 1 game with GB where he threw for 5 or 6 TD's? What would Mallett's worth be if he had a body of work other teams could draw upon?

I also think teams have serious doubts if Mallett can make all he throws, not meaning the deep, strong arm types, but the throws where touch is needed, the back shoulder throw, the end zone corner lob etc, etc. Having a strong arm is not the final decision on a QB.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to jri37's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

I have been critical on the board for free agency decisions. Called every name in the book by many including that moron Rusty. For the most part I have been VERY much on board with everything other than free agency that BB has done. However, my one in season pet peeve is his inability to get the #2 QB any snaps in the season. 

Other than Cassell, has any other QB that played for the Pats since Brady became starter gone to another team and played well? (Let's rule out Bledsoe) ....I know Hoyer went to the Cards, but has he even played a single snap yet? 

I am not sure if getting the #2 snaps is going to help unless they are meaningful. The reason Flynn and cassel got paid was because they were able to execute their offenses in meaningful games in crunch time. Unless brady gets hurt do you really see that happening in NE??? 

I disagree, getting him snaps in a few games for a quarter or more would have proven his worth andfurther developed him.

IN 2012 the Pats;

Beat Stl 45-7. Mallet 3 attempts

Beat Ind 39-24. Mallett 0 attempts

Beat NYJ 49-19. Mallett 0 attempts

Beat Houst 42-14. Mallett 1 attempt

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

I am not aware of any #2 QB getting meaningful snaps for any good team unless the #1 QB is injured. Flynn got his start against the Pats because Rogers had concusion concerns. Cassel got his snaps because Brady was out for the year. Same for all the #2 QBs in Philly - helps having an injury prone starter! So those hoping to see Mallett get some meaningful minutes are really hoping Brady gets hurt!

It is an interesting situation with Mallett. There are a number of teams going with 'retreads' and anyone (AZ) thinking that Palmer is a long term solution is crazy. And as for Flynn ... he got beaten out by a third round rookie and while a number of the teams in trouble at QB have made 'moves', I am not sure any of them have actually solved their problem.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

IN 2012 the Pats;

Beat Stl 45-7. Mallet 3 attempts

Beat Ind 39-24. Mallett 0 attempts

Beat NYJ 49-19. Mallett 0 attempts

Beat Houst 42-14. Mallett 1 attempt

I agree, Mallet needs to get on the field a bit more and get some real game time playing in.  While I love seeing TFB playing to the end of the game in blowouts and continue to run up the score, lol, I would really hate to see him go down with an injury at a time when the game is really over. 

Bring Mallet in and let him throw.  I mean seriously, he got into 4 games last season and threw 4 passes with 1 completion.  Who knows, maybe BB is protecting him.  Maybe BB doesn't think he is ready yet, it would be terrible to put him on the field and look horrible, hurting his valus.  I don't know.  It's hard to tell because from all that I read and hear BB really like the kid.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

+1

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to mia76's comment:

I am not aware of any #2 QB getting meaningful snaps for any good team unless the #1 QB is injured. Flynn got his start against the Pats because Rogers had concusion concerns. Cassel got his snaps because Brady was out for the year. Same for all the #2 QBs in Philly - helps having an injury prone starter! So those hoping to see Mallett get some meaningful minutes are really hoping Brady gets hurt!

Well you certainly have a very good point here.  But I think the question here is could Mallet have gone in at then end of games and got some time in?  rkarp posted some games that clearly shows he could have.  When Rodgers was backing up Favre he was put in a few games, not many only 7 games in 3 years backing him up, but in those 3 years he threw the ball a total of 59 times.  Much more then Mallets 4.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

Yeah, get him on the field.  He probably throws a better long ball than Brady any way.

But seriously, BB said recently that he's happy with Mallet's development.

How his development in the Pats system translates to other teams is another thing.

Cassell had a good season filling in for Brady but he had an entire season to further develope and learn in real game action getting all the first team reps during practice.

He went on to KC and hmmm, not so good.  Well he did have one decent season.

I'm sure if the right offer came along he could be dealt but I don't think the Pats are chomping at the bit waiting for one either.  They have a kid that's been learning their system behind one of the greatest qb's ever,  why be in such a hurry to deal him.   They only have one back up.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I have a bet with Rusty about this. I said Mallett will remain with NE, rusty says he will be traded, likely to Clev. I'm still sticking with my gut feeling. Mallett will be sporting Flying Elvis come the first pre season game.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

That's ridiculous dude. My date says 2011 at some time but I've probably been here a lot longer than you have. My old handle goes back to 2005, it was deleted in one of the forums changeovers.   You can't tell how long posters have been using this forum and just because someone's new doesn't mean they can't be objective.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Well you certainly have a very good point here.  But I think the question here is could Mallet have gone in at then end of games and got some time in?  rkarp posted some games that clearly shows he could have.  When Rodgers was backing up Favre he was put in a few games, not many only 7 games in 3 years backing him up, but in those 3 years he threw the ball a total of 59 times.  Much more then Mallets 4.

Farce was hurt and had to come out of several games. The Dallas game comes to mind. Farve got hurt and left with the Packers getting killed. Rodgers came in and almost led them to victory, throwing nearly every down. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Mallet isnt going anywhere. Teams won't give up any more than a fourth or fifth round pick for him. Not saying he can't play but he hasn't shown anything yet.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

I don't think most scouts really count end of blow-out game stats seriously. Not only does the offensive philosphy change significantly, but typically it is not just the QB that gets pulled, but a few other starters. For a back-up QB his typical 3 downs are: 1 - hand off, 2 - hand off, 3 - pass and with the other team knowing this, the third down pass is typically 3rd and long which is not an ideal passing situation. And the coach has told him on 1st and 2nd down, even if all 11 defenders are in the box, do not call an audible. Add to that the fact the QB has been sitting around for a few hours since warm-up and the offensive game plan has nothing to do with his strengths.

The only real playing time most #2s get are in preseason and when the #1 goes down or gets yanked in a competitive game.