Flynn traded? Where does that leave Mallett?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: Flynn traded? Where does that leave Mallett?

Let's see if Oakland will bite on Mallett for Palmer and a #1 straight up?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to mia76's comment:

In response to TFB12's comment:

In response to mia76's comment:

I am not aware of any #2 QB getting meaningful snaps for any good team unless the #1 QB is injured. Flynn got his start against the Pats because Rogers had concusion concerns. Cassel got his snaps because Brady was out for the year. Same for all the #2 QBs in Philly - helps having an injury prone starter! So those hoping to see Mallett get some meaningful minutes are really hoping Brady gets hurt!

Well you certainly have a very good point here.  But I think the question here is could Mallet have gone in at then end of games and got some time in?  rkarp posted some games that clearly shows he could have.  When Rodgers was backing up Favre he was put in a few games, not many only 7 games in 3 years backing him up, but in those 3 years he threw the ball a total of 59 times.  Much more then Mallets 4.

I don't think most scouts really count end of blow-out game stats seriously. Not only does the offensive philosphy change significantly, but typically it is not just the QB that gets pulled, but a few other starters. For a back-up QB his typical 3 downs are: 1 - hand off, 2 - hand off, 3 - pass and with the other team knowing this, the third down pass is typically 3rd and long which is not an ideal passing situation. And the coach has told him on 1st and 2nd down, even if all 11 defenders are in the box, do not call an audible. Add to that the fact the QB has been sitting around for a few hours since warm-up and the offensive game plan has nothing to do with his strengths.

The only real playing time most #2s get are in preseason and when the #1 goes down or gets yanked in a competitive game.

Yes they do. They can see arm strength, various throws, reading the defense.....everything that Mallett has never shown in a game. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Sounds like Oakland went with Flynn. Leaves Buff, Jets, Cards, maybe Jacks looking for QB. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Sounds like Oakland went with Flynn. Leaves Buff, Jets, Cards, maybe Jacks looking for QB. 

Isn't Palmer still under contract?  If we were to give up Mallet I would sleep better at night knowing Palmer or a similar vet was sitting behind Brady...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Well....I know a few things....

But one thing I know for sure....when Mallett is traded....I'm gonna love pulling this post back out and running with it.....LOL..!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

what does Flynn have to do with Mallett? Are you serious? Firstly, there are only a handful of teams looking for a QB. If one of them does trade for Flynn, that takes away one team that may have traded for Mallett. Second, correct me if I am wrong,  Didn't Flynn establish his worth from 1 game with GB where he threw for 5 or 6 TD's? What would Mallett's worth be if he had a body of work other teams could draw upon?

I also think teams have serious doubts if Mallett can make all he throws, not meaning the deep, strong arm types, but the throws where touch is needed, the back shoulder throw, the end zone corner lob etc, etc. Having a strong arm is not the final decision on a QB.

[QUOTE]

If you desperately want to acquire something and there is a very limited supply of those things in the universe and then one of them gets sold, doesn't that make the next one even more desirable? 

It's not a bad thing thing that Flynn gets dealt, if trading Mallett is the goal here. First, Oakland trading for Flynn (if they actually do it) sets the market. And it eliminates one available QB from the market. There aren't that many of them you know. If a team in need was thinking of Flynn and weighing him against Mallett and/or others, now their options are fewer so they're that much more likely to seek Mallett. This is sort of common sense. You see how this works both ways?

Frankly, the only negative is that now some team that might have considered Mallett might look at Palmer instead, although the salaries aren't comparable. Oakland was not even mentioned as a possible landing spot for Mallett in any reports that I saw. If Cleveland had taken Flynn, I could understand that being a concern, but not Oakland.

I have no idea if Mallett is all that, but I do know his arm is not a concern. You (or somebody) said he has a long delivery. I've never heard or read that anywhere, and it certainly isn't evident in the film I've seen. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I'm a little late to this conversation. I don't know if there are any suitors out there trying their darndest to acquire Mallett,however I've read numerous threads stating what it would take to pry Mallett from the Patriots and from what I've read a team would have a better chance of prying a Greek man away from a Greek boy! What's his worth? Who knows he's had very little on field experience in the NFL. Though he does have something that the Rookie QB's don't have,a job with an NFL team. I've read in several articles not written by any of the BDC bloggers that were he to be traded it would take no less than a 2nd round pick this year and he could cost as much as a 1rst round pick. This is of course speculation on all of the writers who have written these articles. At any rate since the second week of Free Agency has been dragging on and on,what else would you expect other than unfounded speculation? Hey today is Easter Sunday and tomorrow is the day when I expect all of the phony baloney tradings of Mallett to pop up! After which we will al feel like April's fools...Happy Egg hunting too all of your children. Jesus is my savior,God bless you all.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to jri37's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

According to the posters on this board Mallett is worth a #1 andLombardi wants him for sure.

Those very same posters keep telling us how he was supposed to be a top 15 pick too - it kind of cracks me up to hear people say how we are going to get a first round pick for a guy three years after he went in the third round. LOL!

The guy has looked average at best in the preseason, he's got a long delivery and his decision making looks off to me. He went in the third for a reason. I'd be shocked if we get a second round pick for this kid. Shocked. And for the record, a guy like Lombardi would put his career at risk if he gave us anything more than a second round pick for this kid...even that would eventually get him fired if he doesn't turn into a very solid QB. 

I have been critical on the board for free agency decisions. Called every name in the book by many including that moron Rusty. For the most part I have been VERY much on board with everything other than free agency that BB has done. However, my one in season pet peeve is his inability to get the #2 QB any snaps in the season. 

Other than Cassell, has any other QB that played for the Pats since Brady became starter gone to another team and played well? (Let's rule out Bledsoe) ....I know Hoyer went to the Cards, but has he even played a single snap yet? 

I am not sure if getting the #2 snaps is going to help unless they are meaningful. The reason Flynn and cassel got paid was because they were able to execute their offenses in meaningful games in crunch time. Unless brady gets hurt do you really see that happening in NE??? 

I disagree, getting him snaps in a few games for a quarter or more would have proven his worth andfurther developed him.

IN 2012 the Pats;

Beat Stl 45-7. Mallet 3 attempts

Beat Ind 39-24. Mallett 0 attempts

Beat NYJ 49-19. Mallett 0 attempts

Beat Houst 42-14. Mallett 1 attempt

Re-read my post... What are those snaps in blow out  going to prove to anyone??? Even if he was put in the game earlier in those games referenced   regardless of the snaps it wasn't going to prove anything to any other team. How does playing in a blow out handing off prove anything to anyone?

Re read my post. Mallett should have seen action in some games and made throws, not simply handed off. Mallett should have been in these games making touch passes, back shoulder throws, fade routes, reading defenses, looking for secondary and tertiary receiver options, all things not a single NFL team has seen him do. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

what does Flynn have to do with Mallett? Are you serious? Firstly, there are only a handful of teams looking for a QB. If one of them does trade for Flynn, that takes away one team that may have traded for Mallett. Second, correct me if I am wrong,  Didn't Flynn establish his worth from 1 game with GB where he threw for 5 or 6 TD's? What would Mallett's worth be if he had a body of work other teams could draw upon?

I also think teams have serious doubts if Mallett can make all he throws, not meaning the deep, strong arm types, but the throws where touch is needed, the back shoulder throw, the end zone corner lob etc, etc. Having a strong arm is not the final decision on a QB.

[QUOTE]

If you desperately want to acquire something and there is a very limited supply of those things in the universe and then one of them gets sold, doesn't that make the next one even more desirable? 

It's not a bad thing thing that Flynn gets dealt, if trading Mallett is the goal here. First, Oakland trading for Flynn (if they actually do it) sets the market. And it eliminates one available QB from the market. There aren't that many of them you know. Now if a team in need was thinking of Flynn and weighing him against Mallett and/or others, now their options are fewer so they're that much more likely to seek Mallett. This is sort of common sense. You see how this works both ways?

Frankly, the only negative is that now some team that might have considered Mallett might look at Palmer instead, although the salaries aren't comparable. Oakland was not even mentioned as a possible landing spot for Mallett in any reports that I saw. If Cleveland had taken Flynn, I could understand that being a concern, but not Oakland.

I have no idea if Mallett is all that, but I do know his arm is not a concern. You (or somebody) said he has a long delivery. I've never heard or read that anywhere, and it certainly isn't evident in the film I've seen. 

That's my point Muzzy. No team is "desperate" for Mallett. There are 13 free agent QB's out there. 

There are 5-6 teams looking for a QB. Oakland is now off the board if indeed they acquired Flynn. Kolb is now in Buff. Palmer will seemingly be available. I see the Cards, maybe the Jags needing a QB. I see the Browns sitting with #1 draft choice Weeden, McCoy and Campbell. 

You or anyone is saying there is a team out there that is "desperate" for Mallett?

Btw, I never said Mallets delivery was long. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Couple of points:  TFB12, I simply can't agree on the 2011 being the cutoff for objectivity.  That is simply another way of saying that if you don't post in this forum you're not a legit Pats fan.  Moreover, objectivity is often relative and can vary from situation to situation.  I have a great deal of respect for you but you were not at all objective over the Welker issue, in my opinion.

Speaking ot the point of this thread.  I simply don't get the hullabaloo (I have no idea how that is supposed to be spelled and really don't care) over Mallett trade/no trade.  I see it as a win regardless.  If Mallett stays then the Pats have a strong-armed back up who's learning from the best.  If he is traded, we'll get a decent pick for him or BB won't pull the trigger.  I'm having a great deal of difficulty getting my BP on overdrive over this particular issue.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

According to the posters on this board Mallett is worth a #1 andLombardi wants him for sure.

Those very same posters keep telling us how he was supposed to be a top 15 pick too - it kind of cracks me up to hear people say how we are going to get a first round pick for a guy three years after he went in the third round. LOL!

The guy has looked average at best in the preseason, he's got a long delivery and his decision making looks off to me. He went in the third for a reason. I'd be shocked if we get a second round pick for this kid. Shocked. And for the record, a guy like Lombardi would put his career at risk if he gave us anything more than a second round pick for this kid...even that would eventually get him fired if he doesn't turn into a very solid QB. 

I have been critical on the board for free agency decisions. Called every name in the book by many including that moron Rusty. For the most part I have been VERY much on board with everything other than free agency that BB has done. However, my one in season pet peeve is his inability to get the #2 QB any snaps in the season. 

Other than Cassell, has any other QB that played for the Pats since Brady became starter gone to another team and played well? (Let's rule out Bledsoe) ....I know Hoyer went to the Cards, but has he even played a single snap yet? 

I am not sure if getting the #2 snaps is going to help unless they are meaningful. The reason Flynn and cassel got paid was because they were able to execute their offenses in meaningful games in crunch time. Unless brady gets hurt do you really see that happening in NE??? 

I disagree, getting him snaps in a few games for a quarter or more would have proven his worth andfurther developed him.

IN 2012 the Pats;

Beat Stl 45-7. Mallet 3 attempts

Beat Ind 39-24. Mallett 0 attempts

Beat NYJ 49-19. Mallett 0 attempts

Beat Houst 42-14. Mallett 1 attempt

Re-read my post... What are those snaps in blow out  going to prove to anyone??? Even if he was put in the game earlier in those games referenced   regardless of the snaps it wasn't going to prove anything to any other team. How does playing in a blow out handing off prove anything to anyone?

Re read my post. Mallett should have seen action in some games and made throws, not simply handed off. Mallett should have been in these games making touch passes, back shoulder throws, fade routes, reading defenses, looking for secondary and tertiary receiver options, all things not a single NFL team has seen him do. 

Really so how many of those throws did Brock Osweiller or any other back-up in blow outs make. Look there are lots of issues with the Pat's to be critical of but this is not one of them. You want to be critical how about Vareen not getting enough touches or Gregory asked to cover a TE 1 on 1. The back-up QB snaps in a blow out is not going to prove anything to anyone.

That's what pre-season is for.

It's smart practice to develop QB's value. Did the Pats do that with Mallett?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Or is sitting next to Brady in meetings and listening to BB talk considered developing a QB?

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

Couple of points:  TFB12, I simply can't agree on the 2011 being the cutoff for objectivity.  That is simply another way of saying that if you don't post in this forum you're not a legit Pats fan.  Moreover, objectivity is often relative and can vary from situation to situation.  I have a great deal of respect for you but you were not at all objective over the Welker issue, in my opinion.

Speaking ot the point of this thread.  I simply don't get the hullabaloo (I have no idea how that is supposed to be spelled and really don't care) over Mallett trade/no trade.  I see it as a win regardless.  If Mallett stays then the Pats have a strong-armed back up who's learning from the best.  If he is traded, we'll get a decent pick for him or BB won't pull the trigger.  I'm having a great deal of difficulty getting my BP on overdrive over this particular issue.

Realistically, Mallett is never going to play for the Pats. His deal expires before Brady's deal. The Pats have numerous holes, few draft choices, and an unwillingness to plug this holes via free agency. It stands to reason they should trade Mallett for draft choice and bring some one else in as insurance for Brady.

The question isn't should they trade him or not, the question is what is his value, and have the Pats developed his value to its fullest. There is great debate over his value, but it is very clear the Pats didn't fully develop his value. 

Its not a win if the Pats could have secured a number 1 for Mallett and brought in either a starting WR or stud defensive back, but realize Mallett is worth only a 3 because he never played. 

Seriously, ifBrady went down are you more comfortable with Mallett as the back up, or some one like McCoy as the back up, who could be had for small money, being a game manager and throwing 15-20 times a game?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I'm as comfortable with Mallett filling in for Brady as I would be with anyone the Pats could reasonably expect to have as a back up.  The operative word being 'reasonably'.  How many quality back ups are there in the league?  I'm having a hard time conjuring up a list of names. 

Suggesting that the Pats have been unwilling to plug holes via free agency is, in my opinion, not at all consistent with the facts.  You can take issue if you wish with whom they've signed but not that they've been willing to act.

I simply disagree with your assessment of the Mallett situation. 

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Let's remember this...it's not like there is zero interest in Mallett, there is. Jacksonville asked before the draft last year and Arizona, Tampa Bay and Cleveland have all asked about his availability.

The issue is only about compensation. No one has offered what the Pats feel is fair value....so far.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I understand the Patriots did it lo those many years ago, and the Giants pulled it off in the Paleolithic era, a/k/a the '80s, but realistically in the present pass happy NFL, it would be a lot more difficult now to win a SB with a backup QB, Ryan Mallett or anyone else?  Not impossible, but highly improbable. The days when a Trent Dilfer winning a championship are over. The rules just don't allow for it anymore. 

So, why not trade the guy and get what you can? Unless the plan is to eventually turn the thing over to him? Like by next season.

Which would mean trading the other guy...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

After all, the end of #12s run is coming, sooner than later. Do you go down with the ship like the Celtics did with Bird and co. and be left beshambled, or do you transition with a guy you have developed to run the thing? If they didn't draft Mallett to trade, then they drafted him to take over. I just don't see that they drafted him to back up for a few years and then leave as a UFA. That doesn't make sense.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

After all, the end of #12s run is coming, sooner than later. Do you go down with the ship like the Celtics did with Bird and co. and be left beshambled, or do you transition with a guy you have developed to run the thing? If they didn't draft Mallett to trade, then they drafted him to take over. I just don't see that they drafted him to back up for a few years and then leave as a UFA. That doesn't make sense.

Exactly, and why he was drafted is only known by the Patriots inner circle. Let's not forget, in 2011 I told everyone here "to write it down, Pats would draft Ryan Mallet with one of their 3rd round picks" To which I was submitted to a severe beat down.....

Of course....when it came to pass...I did gloat....and am I still milking it today...yup..shamelessly too!! LOL

Anyway, I believed that it signaled that Brady was leaving sooner than later. There is a part of me that still believes that but I have deffered to the masses that believe that Brady is staying so yes...why let Mallett walk for nothing.

I don't believe BB is worried about finding a back up. Cassel was a 7th rd pick that never started a single game in college. He was developed into a QB that took us to 11 wins and was franchised as such. Many forget his first year in KC he led them them to their first division title and played really well. Did the system there let him down after that?

Hoyer was undrafted and was developed into a very solid # 2. So much so that Arizona thought he was worth a second round tender this spring.

Mallett was a starter, a starter that still holds 16 passing records at Arkansas. Rated as the # 1 QB in the 2011 draft. Ryans Mom went off on Miami after Miami passed on Ryan at # 16 (I believe) after Miami told Ryan they would take him. (according to Ryans Mom) now yes...his Mom should have tempered her speech and keep quiet. And yes the drug rumors really hurt his draft status. But that's all water over the dam now. Ryan's skill set and pedigree was real and was factual.

If no one ponies up...oh well...BB won't have a fire sale.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

You know wozz, I like you - and happy easter by the way - but you question if I know what I'm talking about and then post this??

This is a joke, right? And I didn't read the whole thread (this one was on top of the page), but a first and Palmer for Mallett? First off we are not getting a first for Mallett, second Palmer is being cut because he makes too much money. We going to pay our backup quarterback 14 million now?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Mallett as a trade is a pig in a poke.  Hundreds of years ago apparently they sold pigs sight unseen for some reason, tied up in sacks, and thieves could substitute a cat for a pig, get their coins and get out of town.

If BB was in any way willing to trade Mallett, cheap, 31 other GMs would wonder what's wrong with Mallett. 

Mallett could only be traded if Mike Kafka turned out to be the Hope Diamond this August.  Any seventh rounder QB plucked from the draft will almost certainly need 1 year to mature, if not 2 or 3 years. 

It's not about gaining draft picks with Mallett, it's first and foremost about having him ready if Brady goes down.  There's more than one Pollard in this league, to Goodell's eternal shame.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

Well....I know a few things....

But one thing I know for sure....when Mallett is traded....I'm gonna love pulling this post back out and running with it.....LOL..!!!

Don't mind me folks....just makin' sure I remember where this post is...in case I need it later....