Folks in Kansas City Having "Buyers' Remorse" on Cassel?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

Re: Folks in Kansas City Having "Buyers' Remorse" on Cassel?

Caveat Emptor.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

I don't really mind you throwing the word "recent" in after the fact to bolster your point, and I guess winning the Super Bowl is only spectacular when Tom Brady does it. I'm just saying, Plunkett was awesome, and he would have been a transcendent star in the NFL had he not had the sad misfortune to have been drafted by those wacky Boston Patriots.
    Posted by prairiemike

But he did some of his best work on the Pats...Notice how great he did on SF after he left the Pats....NOTHING.  The Raiders didn't even project him to be a starter....He was really lucky to be playing at all, i fit were not for the actual starters getting injured.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from edwo. Show edwo's posts

Time will tell. He should take the money now because it is going to get worse before it get's better!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

I see Whitlock when he writes columns for Fox sports on the MSN page. He seems Ok to me. He rips blacks as much as he does whites. People hear what they want to hear.
    Posted by rocher

I tend to agree with you Rocher.  He does play it both ways. 

At his core, I believe he is pro black, but he seems to have no patience for exploiters like sharpton and blacks that embrace and perpetuate a "thug" lifestyle. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sonieboy. Show sonieboy's posts

I can't think of any time that Cassel "lost the game" for the team. Possibly the Steelers, but they were the best defense in the league. I think the Ravens may have beat him had they met in January. But the games that were lost were mainly due to the defense. In both the Miami and San Diego games they gave up 30 points (or more). They failed to stop the Jests in OT (after Cassel led them from behind to tie it at the end). Indy was really close. I'd say that stupid penalty was more a cause of losing than Cassel. That leaves Pittsburgh, and the second half collapse. By the end of the season Cassel was pretty much moving the offense at will. If he improves at the rate he did in 08 he'll do fine in KC. Although trading Gonzales didn't make sense to me. That guy is a QB's best friend inside the 15 yard line! We'll see how he does. KC will still s u c k if they don't improve a lot on defense. In 08 they couldn't stop anyone, especially in the 4th quarter.
    Posted by bubthegrub2

School is still open on Cassell, time will tell. Insofar as T. G.'s trade and Cassell missing him how can you miss what you've never had. He will miss Moss, Welker and Faulk. What he'll love will be the running game which will open up the field for his passing game. IMO he'll be just fine 2008 gave him  confidennce in his game.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChristoRedendo. Show ChristoRedendo's posts

Man there is some major Cassel-haters out there!!

First, to compare Brady '07 to Cassel is ridiculous beyond belief. Tom had the greatest season in the history of the game, especially that come-back in Baltimore late in the season.

It would have been 'perfect' if it wasn't for a defense especially Hobbs) who ruined the storybook possibilities.

Now, if you compare Brady in the BB 'system' with Cassel in the similar 'system' there is a much more realistic comparison:
     Brady - 2001 Cassel - 2008
    Games Started1316
    Games Started Won911
    Games Started Lost45
    Winning Percentage69.2%68.8%
    Completions232328
    Attempts380518
    Percent61.1%63.1%
    Pass Yards24983693
    Pass Ave6.577.09
    TD Passes1322
    Attempts per TD2924
    INT1211
    Attempts per INT3247
    Sacks4644
    QB Eff Rating78.689.6
    Rush Attempt3279
    Rush Yards46276
    Rus Ave.1.43.5
    Rush TD02
    Attempts per TD040
    Fumbles47
    Fumbles Lost34
    Attempts per Fumble Lost137149

Now stats don't win games, there are so many intangibles that Brady has that Cassell may never have by the end of his career.

Tom is one of the top five (3?) of all time, and Cassel may well be journeyman with a short career.

But in comparing the stats, would anyone say that Tom was 'just another QB' who fit well into the system?

No, so we should at least wait until the end of the 2009 season to fairly judge if Matt is a QB with above average talent, or a product of BB's system.

Christopher T.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

According to an article by Chiefs' beatwriter Jason Whitlock, its'  time to reconsider the conventional wisdom that Scott Pioli "stole" Matt Cassel from the Patriots for a second round pick. He points out that Cassel's agent, Dave Dunn, seems to be driving an extremely hard bargain on a long term deal for the former Pats' QB. As a result, Pioli has seemingly opted to pass on a long term deal, and let Cassel's one year, $14.65mil. deal play out.      Whitlock went on to say that, without Randy Moss (who he calls "the greatest offensive force in the NFL since Jim Brown") and Wes Welker, its' likely that Cassel will fall on his face in KC. If that happens, it may turn out that Pioli traded the 34th overall pick to the Pats for a one year rental on Cassel:  http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/1218162.html      
    Posted by TexasPat3

The best thing that could have happened to Cassell was to be franchised by teh Pats. This will be his big/only pay check. Will he do as well in KC this season? Highky unlikely. Thus, qhen he's out looking for a ig deal, he probaby won't get it, unless someone like Jones in Dallas gets sick of Romo, Minnesota can't sign Favre, or Skanky Al in Oakland is, well, Skanky Al. maybe the BrokeBacks will be a player for him, but not for in excess of $15MM/year. His contract offers as a FA should be in the $7-9MM/year range.  

Looks like BB did it again. Franchise him, knowing you're not going to resign him, and then trade him for an early round pick, and wish him luck. Cassell had that typical "had one very good season" syndrome.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

I tend to agree with you Rocher.  He does play it both ways.  At his core, I believe he is pro black, but he seems to have no patience for exploiters like sharpton and blacks that embrace and perpetuate a "thug" lifestyle. 
    Posted by underdogg

He may play it straight (maybe), but he is still an idiot.
    Cassel was fabulous for the Pats last year. The league has exposed our undersized and old OLine, and Cassel made so many things happen with his feet which Brady could not have done, and certainly will not do this year. We will wish we has Cassel back...quit knocking the guy.
    As for trading a star like Cassel PLUS the heart and soul of a defense which needs him(Vrabel) for the sum total of Patrick Chung.....you guys are still touting this as a good trade? Ugh.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wildyellow1. Show wildyellow1's posts

It was interesting to see the NFL rankings for points and yards earlier in this post. You can see hoe numbers can be so misleading. Some teams are getting lots of points from defense and special teams (punt returns) and some aren't able to score in the redzone or are turning it over. You can tell that by the numbers. As for Cassel, he can run which is a good thing if your line is so so.  

Sections
Shortcuts