Foolish To Take Chargers Lightly

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Foolish To Take Chargers Lightly

I sense overconfidence among my fellow Pats' fans. This is going to be a tough game for the Pats. Anything less than their "A" game, and they'll lose.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Re: Foolish To Take Chargers Lightly

I don't think it's overconfidence.  I have been saying to fellow fans here and off the board for years, this cap era NFL is the most difficult era to be consistent and win games successively.

This is part of my case for the newer QBs like Brady and Manning and their successes being MORE impressive as compared to other great QBs from other eras.

Anyway, not to get sidetracked, but this is a road AFC game which means it will be TOUGH.

I don't think it's overconfidence. I think it's fans who are excited to continue to see the team grow.  If NE executes and plays a clean (limited penalties, no turnovers, smart Special Teams), they should win this game.

SD is clearly better at home and a wounded animal. Will be a challenge, no doubt

Every week is.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Not taking them lightly. They play well at home. Tough road game on the opposite coast. The Bolts Special Teams look to be in disarray, but other than that, they still look like a team that could beat anyone when healthy or could reel off four consecutive wins to take back their division. The only knock against the Chargers is that they underachieve for a team with so much talent and play in a weak division. That's what you usually hear/read. This game is a must win for them. Cornered dogs are always dangerous and that's what the Chargers are right now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

No Floyd, no Naanee (sp?) and Gates is playing with an injury to the same toe he had surgery on and may not finish.  Not taking anybody lightly, but not scared by Buster Davis and Patrick Crayton either.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

lol @mighty

TP it depends.

If the Chargers self destruct like they have in all their losses, it will be a cakewalk. If they bring their "A" game, then yes, we will also have to bring ours.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

There are numerous young players that could be due for a setback in performance. Consistency is the hardest thing. Plus Sproles is a bigger outside threat than RRice or RWilliams, that's for sure. Ninc and Cunningham have their work cut out for them, and Spikes speed outside the hash marks will be tested with Sproles. So will whichever weak Cb we put out there instead of Arrington. Butler/Wheatley will be run at.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

A trap game is more like Buffalo @ Baltimore. 

You can't go on the road against a tam that has underachieved with its back against the wall and call it a "trap game".

I know Bruschi called it that, as did Mazz here, but I disagree.

The NE team is developing and finding an image.  Established teams that should blow a team out is when you use the word "trap", in my opinion.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangGator. Show MustangGator's posts

TexasPat,

I have always enjoyed reading your posts.  You try your best to keep it real and realistic with your comments.  I always look forward to reading your weekly predictions on all of the teams. 

Now to the game at hand.
    Tough game to predict.  Pats are clearly the better team right now.  However, the better team does not always win.  SD has allot of key injuries.  They are talking only going three deep at the Wide Receiver position, and none of them were starters at the beginning of the year.  Antonio Gates is hurt and probably will not go.  The linebacker core is hurting also.  Ryan Mathews, their number one draft pick running back has been dinged up.  SD has not been playing him much which has most of the fan base wondering, why draft him if your not goiing to use him?  He has played, some, the past couple weeks.  However, seems that they are either milking an injury, or just don't want to make him a focus at all on offense.  That takes me back to if you are not going to use him like a number one draft pick, then why draft him.   

SD has not played anyone yet to brag about.  2-0 at home, 0-4 on the road.  SD is a completely different team at home vice the road.  They make more mistakes on the road.  Special teams completely $ucks.    

Then there is the Norv factor and organization factor.  Norv was a bad hire and I found it unbelievable the organization extended his contract 3 years last year after the loss in the playoffs to the Jets.  Norv was still under contract and AJ Smith extended his cointract to award him for what?  The same thing as Marty S. accomplished and got fired.  Norv is a yes man and that is exactly what the Chargers want.  Has to make you wonder how many of the players really want to put everything on the line knowing how the organization operates and handles their players.    

MG 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

According to Schefter, Gates is playing but knows he probably shouldn't.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I suspect that the guys who actually step on the field and play do not take any team lightly.  The Chargers are indeed better than their record.  Bob Kraft stopped by the Pats tailgate party in San Diego last night and said the same thing.  He said they expect the Chargers to go deep on them at first to test the secondary.  He also said that Brady and Branch are looking like they never parted ways.  He wasn't just talking about last Sunday's game, he was talking about how they look in practice too.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Belichick said something very interesting the other day: "there's no question about it, sometimes you'd just rather play against their starters, even if they're pro bowlers, because you know exactly what to expect. A lot of time backups are just sitting there on the bench, itching to get out there and get their talent on display so the minute you lift that cage door, they come out and your team doesn't know what hit them."

I found that interesting.

With the injuries the way they are, Patriots 30 Chargers 20

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

This is a big game IMO. The Chargers play well at home and have an explosive offense (I can't stand Rivers though). They are going to be amped about this game. 

But, I'd like to see a big game from BJGE. A breakout game. I mean 150 yards. 

I'd like to see a big game from Tate too. Time to let him loose and see what he can do as a No 1 WR.

Today's BG article on Jermaine Cunningham was timely. I am really loving what I see from him. Looking forward to him absolutely terrorizing Rivers all afternoon. 

But man, I haven't even mentioned Woodhead, Gronk, Hernandez, Edelman, Branch and Welker. These are big time weapons we have. I'd like to see 100 yards from  each of them today ;-)

It boils down to defense. On the road. Against the No 1 team in offense. At home. Not to be taken lightly and I am sure the Patriots are not. 

Can't wait for this one. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Re: Foolish To Take Chargers Lightly:
    ... I'd like to see a big game from BJGE. A breakout game. I mean 150 yards.  I'd like to see a big game from Tate too. Time to let him loose and see what he can do as a No 1 WR. .... But man, I haven't even mentioned Woodhead, Gronk, Hernandez, Edelman, Branch and Welker. These are big time weapons we have. I'd like to see 100 yards from  each of them today ;-) ... 

Posted by mrbungle

So 150 from BJGE and 100 each from Woody, Gronk, Hdz, Edel, Branch and Wes?

That's 250 yds rushing and 500 passing.  That will work!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

no one should take the Chargers lightly. they're undefeated at home, put up huge scoring numbers, and have played well on D.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Some are Tex. But I think most people here understand that SD needs this game more, and are at home.

It is a little like the feeling here before the Jets/Pats game. NJ needed it bad, and NE was on the road.

I hope this young team learned a lesson there, because they had a lead and played their worst half of football.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a9690Discussion%3a9ef140ca-63f3-42da-a01b-5a416136b638&plckFindPostKey=Cat:SportsForum:9690Discussion:9ef140ca-63f3-42da-a01b-5a416136b638Post:16286f57-f0f1-4f8b-9386-e63a254788f7 " /> Re: Foolish To Take Chargers Lightly : BB, I know what you're saying. I guess I mean trap in that they just went back to back and may be a little full of themselves right now and add the fact that they have to travel to SD I just hope they relax and play each play and don't check off the W too early.
    Posted by Sam-Adams

I hear ya, I just don't see BB allowing this be a trap game because the D is so young and still needs to show up on the road in back to back AFC games.

As does the offense.  BB is going to hammer them and remind them no one thinks they are good enough to be consistent.

Traps gamesa are for overconfident teams against bad teams.

NE is not in a position to be overconfident.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Belichick said something very interesting the other day: "there's no question about it, sometimes you'd just rather play against their starters, even if they're pro bowlers, because you know exactly what to expect. A lot of time backups are just sitting there on the bench, itching to get out there and get their talent on display so the minute you lift that cage door, they come out and your team doesn't know what hit them." I found that interesting. With the injuries the way they are, Patriots 30 Chargers 20
    Posted by apdynasty23

There was a thread on here a while back about how many times the Pats have been "lit up" by backup quarterbacks in the recent past. I'm not a stat guy, and I'm certainly not a coach, but when I read what ap wrote here the first thing I thought of was Danny Woodhead. We all love this guy, yes? He couldn't cut it on Green New Jersey and look at him now.

You've got to watch out for the guy you haven't prepared for.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I remember when Schaub filled in for Vick circa 2003 in Atlanta.  NE won the game, but just barely.

I wish this board existed back then so we could watch all the fans go berserk proclaiming the NE secondary was terrible as some guy named Schaub lit up NE's D.

In this game, I still think the gameplan is about Gates/Midlde of the field for Rivers.  Even if Randy Michael plays for Gates, you still need to keep that large middle target away.

That and contain Matthews/Sproles.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

We are fans it doesn't matter how we take the Chargers.  Just worry about your Colts.

Sections
Shortcuts