Football Scoring Contest - Registration Thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

Football Scoring Contest - Registration Thread

Back for another season ... this contest has been around since 2012 ... who can remember back that far? ... Obama was president ...

Here are the basic rules carried over from last year:

(1) Pick one NFL team each week
    (2) You can not pick the same team twice (similar to survivor/knockout)
    (3) You receive the number of points equal to what your team scored
    (4) Your selection must be logged before kickoff of the game you choose
    (5) The Regular Season winner is the person with the most points at the end of the 16-game season

I have a few changes in mind for this season which I hope will only increase the interest and enjoyment.
    I'd like those that played last year to weigh in on the changes.  Keep in mind that I am trying to sustain interest throughout the season, right to the Super Bowl.

6) Every participant will select one BYE week.  You can choose any week you want.  You don't need to select that week in advance. If you fail to make a selection by Kickoff time and you have not used your BYE week, then you will automatically get a BYE for that week.
    (This change is designed to make it easier for people who are away for a week or forget to make a pick, or maybe just don't like the games that week.  Also, it more closely resembles a true NFL season of 16 games).

7) Playoffs!  The top 12 participants by points at the end of the regular season will make the playoffs. Then, those 12 people will pick the one real playoff team whose playoff points they want.  The regular season winner picks first, the second place finisher picks second and so on. The 12th place finisher is stuck with the last team not chosen.  Regular season points do not count toward playoff totals. In case of a tie, the playoff champion will be the team that advances the furthest.

(Realize that teams that play in the wild-card round play an extra game.  That's all part of the challenge.  Does your team go 1 and done?  So, for example, last year's playoff point winner was the Ravens at 124.  The Ravens were in the wild-card round. They nearly lost to the Broncos in the 2nd round.  So, strategy comes into play ... do you take a wild-card round team with the extra round and hope for a run to the Super Bowl, or do you go with a team that earns a bye that you expect to go all the way?)

In addition there is the optional photo submissions that many folks made each week. 56redsox, TFB12 and others got into the spirit each week last year.  The Commissioner (me) will select the best pic each week - no points, just bragging rights.

We've got to have at least 20-25 people signed up for the regular season to make this work.  SIGN UP by posting on this thread. 

Here's a link to the final thread which crowned the Champion for the 2012 season: AYTEE

http://www.boston.com/community/forums/sports/patriots/on-the-front-burner/football-scoring-contest-final-week/100/6478214

Questions?  Post them in this thread.

The first week's thread will appear early next week.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Re: Football Scoring Contest - Registration Thread

In response to nyjoseph's comment:

Back for another season ... this contest has been around since 2012 ... who can remember back that far? ... Obama was president ...

Here are the basic rules carried over from last year:

(1) Pick one NFL team each week
    (2) You can not pick the same team twice (similar to survivor/knockout)
    (3) You receive the number of points equal to what your team scored
    (4) Your selection must be logged before kickoff of the game you choose
    (5) The Regular Season winner is the person with the most points at the end of the 16-game season

I have a few changes in mind for this season which I hope will only increase the interest and enjoyment.
    I'd like those that played last year to weigh in on the changes.  Keep in mind that I am trying to sustain interest throughout the season, right to the Super Bowl.

6) Every participant will select one BYE week.  You can choose any week you want.  You don't need to select that week in advance. If you fail to make a selection by Kickoff time and you have not used your BYE week, then you will automatically get a BYE for that week.
    (This change is designed to make it easier for people who are away for a week or forget to make a pick, or maybe just don't like the games that week.  Also, it more closely resembles a true NFL season of 16 games).

7) Playoffs!  The top 12 participants by points at the end of the regular season will make the playoffs. Then, those 12 people will pick the one real playoff team whose playoff points they want.  The regular season winner picks first, the second place finisher picks second and so on. The 12th place finisher is stuck with the last team not chosen.  Regular season points do not count toward playoff totals. In case of a tie, the playoff champion will be the team that advances the furthest.

(Realize that teams that play in the wild-card round play an extra game.  That's all part of the challenge.  Does your team go 1 and done?  So, for example, last year's playoff point winner was the Ravens at 124.  The Ravens were in the wild-card round. They nearly lost to the Broncos in the 2nd round.  So, strategy comes into play ... do you take a wild-card round team with the extra round and hope for a run to the Super Bowl, or do you go with a team that earns a bye that you expect to go all the way?)

In addition there is the optional photo submissions that many folks made each week. 56redsox, TFB12 and others got into the spirit each week last year.  The Commissioner (me) will select the best pic each week - no points, just bragging rights.

We've got to have at least 20-25 people signed up for the regular season to make this work.  SIGN UP by posting on this thread. 

Here's a link to the final thread which crowned the Champion for the 2012 season: AYTEE

http://www.boston.com/community/forums/sports/patriots/on-the-front-burner/football-scoring-contest-final-week/100/6478214

Questions?  Post them in this thread.

The first week's thread will appear early next week.

Thanks for running this enjoyed it very much last year... count me in

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

Count me in! I enjoyed this a lot last year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

I'd like to try!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

Yey you're back  I like the changes, thanks for doing this--count me in.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Do I still get my 10,000 points handicap? I'm in and I approve the changes.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Hey NJY welcome back! I started a thread the other day asking about this contest! Hey good to have you back and please count me in!!

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHILZONE686. Show PHILZONE686's posts

Count me in again, thanks for doing all this work for us nyjoseph.  It is lots of fun, even though I totally dropped the ball at the end of last year.

...you need to chill.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

I will try it

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Count me in, and thanks!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

count me in

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Welcome back and thanks for the fun. Love the changes.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Count me in nyj

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I do I do

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Dude, welcome back.  Where ya been?  Everyone has been asking about you.

Glad to see you running this again this season, it was a blast last season!  I have been getting my picture submissions ready, lol!

Thanks again for running this, lots of work for you, so it is very appreciated.  It is a lot of fun during the season!

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

Good to see you TFB12.  It's true what they say - those Guatemalan prisons are rough.

Looking forward to the pic contributions!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

Glad to have lots of last year's players back.

Also good to have new players.  Did I forget to mention the rookie hazing?

Here's who I see signed up so far ... if you don't see your name in the list feel free to rip me upside and down.

Player Name

APpats21
    AyyyBoston
    BostonSportsFan111
    csylvia79
    digger0862
    freediro
    ghostofjri37
    Iceman4
    Muzwell
    NEGAME2
    nyjoseph
    PatsEng
    Philskiw1
    PHILZONE686
    Quagmire3
    tcal2-
    TFB12

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

Sounds good Phil - looking forward to playing again this year

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from irishfanatic. Show irishfanatic's posts

Enjoyed this last year, will have a go this year also. Thanks for running it NYJ and I like the additions.                      

/x/details.png /x/bookmark.png

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I'd like to try too if there's room.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

Count me in!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from aytee. Show aytee's posts

I'm in.  Get ready for a repeat guys Laughing

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

Can't do worse than last year. Count me in pls.

Sections
Shortcuts