For the D&G's, the true definition of a bust...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: For the D&G's, the true definition of a bust...

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

What if we attain a bunch of players between rd 4 and undrafted that not only make this team as contributors but start games for us? Does this mean our guy is not a great GM because the coach implores open competition? Because Kyle Arrington starts over Darius Butler? Because Justin Francis gets PT over Jermaine Cunningham then BB has failed as a GM?

I say the answer is no, and I think most if not all NFL GM's would agree.

More draft picks and more wins then other teams = less chance of players lasting on your roster.

A non sequitur here.  Hitting on late round picks doesn't make missing on mid round picks okay.  And no one said that every player shouldn't have an equal chance to make the roster.  

Believe me, BB isn't into wasting his mid round picks (or any picks for that matter) and he's as disappointed as anyone if a second to third round pick doesn't pan out.  But sure, he gives everyone--high pick, low pick, undrafted rookie, or veteran--an equal chance to compete and show what he can do.  Why wouldn't he do that?  And no one is arguing he shouldn't.  Again, your argument is a complete non sequitur. 

if hitting on late round picks doesnt excuse missing then you actually expect BB to field 7 to 10 draft picks a year, which would be over 40 players in the last 5 years not including undrafted FA's which we all know is a very important part of BB the GMs team building 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

What if we attain a bunch of players between rd 4 and undrafted that not only make this team as contributors but start games for us? Does this mean our guy is not a great GM because the coach implores open competition? Because Kyle Arrington starts over Darius Butler? Because Justin Francis gets PT over Jermaine Cunningham then BB has failed as a GM?

More draft picks and more wins then other teams = less chance of players lasting on your roster.

A non sequitur here.  Hitting on late round picks doesn't make missing on mid round picks okay.  And no one said that every player shouldn't have an equal chance to make the roster.  

Believe me, BB isn't into wasting his mid round picks (or any picks for that matter) and he's as disappointed as anyone if a second to third round pick doesn't pan out.  But sure, he gives everyone--high pick, low pick, undrafted rookie, or veteran--an equal chance to compete and show what he can do.  Why wouldn't he do that?  And no one is arguing he shouldn't.  Again, your argument is a complete non sequitur. 

if hitting on late round picks doesnt excuse missing then you actually expect BB to field 7 to 10 draft picks a year, which would be over 40 players in the last 5 years not including undrafted FA's which we all know is a very important part of BB the GMs team building 

Not at all.  For the sake of argument, let's assume you can divide players into 5 categories:

1. All pros

2. Solid starters

3. Good back-ups

4. Roster filler

5. Cuts

In each round, you can expect your odds of getting each type of player to change.  So at the top of the first round, you should have, say (I'm making these numbers up), a 30% chance of getting a category 1 player, a 50% chance of getting a category 2 player, a 10-15%% chance of getting a category 3 player, a 5-10% chance of getting a category 4 guy, and less than a 5% chace of getting a categroy 5 player.  In the second round, maybe the odds shift to 10%, 30%, 30%, 20%, 10%.  By the time you get to the 7th round, the odds are shifting to less than 5%, 10%, 20%, 40%, 25%.

You're drafting well if you beat those odds. Drafting poorly if you don't make them.  Beating the odds in round 7 is nice, of course, but it doesn't make up for falling short in the higher rounds. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to BassFishingII's comment:

In response to zbellino's comment:

People use the word bust in various ways to support their own arguments on BOTH sides. 

From a high first I expect probowls. A second half first a standout player at least. 

Second rounders must be starters.

Third rounders should at least be on the team as contributors/downs guys. Special teamers.

Fourth/Fifth, I'm happy if they are depth/competition for a few seasons. 

6-7 Just make it through camp and provide competition. 

For someone to truly be a "BUST" not an argument bust, they really have to fall beneath my expectations by three levels. 

Freak injuries on players without a history, of course, don't make them busts. They are just unfortunate selections. Players drafted for "value" because they have an injury they are recovering from or a history of nagging injuries are in my opinion busts if injuries derail their career because your GM took that gamble. 

Good summary, though I might qualify it slightly by saying a "starter" is anyone in the core 30 or so players who are heavily involved in almost every game plan. 

What if a team has  12 2nd and 3rd rounders over the last 5 years, and say that team already has a SB caliber roster in place. would it be fair to say this team doesnt need all of these players to stick? Would it also be fair to say it would be more difficult for said players to stick then if they were drafted by the Oakland Raiders?

If you are using 2nd and 3rd round picks on spots that are so well manned that the kids can't beat them, then you are a terrible drafter. You should be drafting to spots then that really need help. And every roster in the NFL has a few spots that are thin, even the SB championship teams.  

That's not necessarily true. You might have one or two CBs that won't be on the team the next year so want a year of grooming in their development by taking them in the draft before your CB expectedly walks. Like us, with Talib.

You're smarter than that, dude.  

There is no black and white recipe with regards to how to draft. Also, draft classes shift in terms of strength or depth.

Well, then that negates the question TC asked. If the position is stocked with a SB caliber player, it wouldn't be stocked with an expiring contract, which is a need. Thus, the player mentioned wouldn't be losing out on a spot because of competition ahead of him. 

RE: Drafting a CB because Talib is on a one year deal is a need pick. Once Talib is gone, let's just say, and Ryan (for the sake of argument) was a second rounder (he wasn't) then he "busts". It wasn't like he lost a roster spot to Talib ... because Talib was the expiring contract. 

TC is proposing something that just doesn't happen. For instance ... if you have three good starting LBers in a 43 and a backup .... and you use a 1st or 2nd on another LBer and he can't beat them out.... you are simply daft as a GM. It sounds like an Al Davis "best player available" move. 

Second point, totally true. It depends on the draft. I don't expect a whole lot from the lower half of the 1st this season .... to be frank .... it was a long second round in my eyes. 

But those are just my rough guidelines. I try to stick to them. 

Others just label everything a bust or success to suit an argument.

Ok, look at like this:

Jets pick Kyle Wilson in 2010, the deepest draft according to many since 1983, and he's only been a decent nickel for them since.

To me, that's a bust for the these reasons:

1. You already have Revis.

2. If Wilson had proven to be better on the outside, you could have dealt Revis earlier instead of waiting for him to get hurt, quite possibly getting more in return.

3. You dealt away your 2nd for Cromartie in that same draft you took WIlson (2010).

Who drafts a nickel in the 1st rd?  The just took Milliner because they can't trust to promote Wilson.

To me, that's a great example of a bust.  They've just decided to cover it up well.

Not sure I'd call him a bust, but to date his contributions are more what you'd expect from a second or third round pick than a first round pick.  He was a number 29 pick. McCourty was a number 27 pick (same year) and Ras-I a number 33 pick (different year) so those guys should all provide similar value.  Clearly McCourty is the best of the lot, Wilson second, and Ras-I third.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Why do you say that?  That doesn't make sense.

No one is expecting BB to hit on every pick but it's not unrealistic to hit on a good % of the higher picks.  This hasn't been the case especially in the DB, DL and Wr department.

If a team like GB can hit on 20 starters, why can'y BB?

There has been NO SHORTAGE of open positions.  Every single starting position except Brady, mankins, Wilfork has been replaced (multiple times), since 2007.  That's plenty of open starter positions.  We have a new backfield every year for cripes sake, recievers too.

I'm sorry, but constantly using a revolving door of FA's is a problem too.  This could be eliminated with better draft picks.

I saw a list of the 2013 salaries earlier and was SHOCKED!

Jenkins is the highest paid of all the receivers and TE's @3,9166666????

Leon Washington makes a million bucks more than, Blount, Ridley, Vereen and Bolden, COMBINED?  Why??????

Kelly is the highest of not only the DL but the highest paid, PERIOD!  Higher than Brady, Mankins and Fork.  WHY?????

Adrian Wilson is the highest paid of all the DB's.

All the FA's brought in as starters, make more than all the other starters?  Why?

Bad drafts and a low % of starters.  That's why.

Don't you think if BB had hit on 10 more starters, like GB or 8 more like the Saints, that would have eliminated that need to bring in old, and high priced FA's.  EVERY YEAR!

I do.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/nwe/roster

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Those FAs do have high base salaries, but not all of them have high cap hits.  The salary cap hit is what's important.  Brady, Mankins, Willfork, etc. do have the largest cap hits. Some of those FAs are fairly expensive, however.  Young draft picks would be cheaper. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Lets return focus to the Pats..please label the following bust or not bust...

Brace

Dowling

chung

meriweather

maroney

cunningham

price

mallet

mccourty

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

The scary thing about 1rst rounders is that their rookie contracts cost more and many times the so-so players are kept around too long becasue of the 1rst round investment and displace a better long term players.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

No one is expecting BB to hit on every pick but it's not unrealistic to hit on a good % of the higher picks.  This hasn't been the case especially in the DB, DL and Wr department.

There has been NO SHORTAGE of open positions.  Every single starting position except Brady, mankins, Wilfork has been replaced (multiple times), since 2007.  That's plenty of open starter positions.  We have a new backfield every year for cripes sake, recievers too.

I'm sorry, but constantly using a revolving door of FA's is a problem too.  This could be eliminated with better draft picks.

Leon Washington makes a million bucks more than, Blount, Ridley, Vereen and Bolden, COMBINED?  Why??????

Kelly is the highest of not only the DL but the highest paid, PERIOD!  Higher than Brady, Mankins and Fork.  WHY?????

All the FA's brought in as starters, make more than all the other starters?  Why?

Don't you think if BB had hit on 10 more starters, like GB or 8 more like the Saints, that would have eliminated that need to bring in old, and high priced FA's.  EVERY YEAR!

I do.

Tommy Kelly makes more than Brady and Wilfork?  News to every human on the planet, but you apparently.

The biggest question of "why" is why didn't daddy do something different instead of doing what he did, Pezzy. lmao

Are you aware Adrian Wilson had a HOF kind of career in Arizona?  If he wins a ring here, he's probably in.

The guy played in god awful conditions in Arizona. You're asking why a player of his caliber is getting paid peanuts to be here?

The Saints? The Packers? Each of those teams had huge chunks of their Ds leave the last 2 years and had bad defenses last year, certainly FAR WORSE than ours.   Try watching games outside of ours for once, PezzDispenser.

How drunk or dumb are you? Not one thing you said is true.  Tommy Kelly makes more than Vince and Brady?

What on earth?

Can anyone explain his disease? It might be brand new to the medical/scientific community!

Did you read the salaries I provided?

Speaking of diseased, you are the petrie dish of BDC

Kelly 8,874 267

Wilfork, 8,600 000

Mankins 7,000 000

TB, 7, 775 000

Mayo 7,150 000

The pats had their whole D leave too, Mostly because of the 31st, 27th rankings and lack of talent.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

I do.

Tommy Kelly makes more than Brady and Wilfork?  News to every human on the planet, but you apparently.

The biggest question of "why" is why didn't daddy do something different instead of doing what he did, Pezzy. lmao

Are you aware Adrian Wilson had a HOF kind of career in Arizona?  If he wins a ring here, he's probably in.

The guy played in god awful conditions in Arizona. You're asking why a player of his caliber is getting paid peanuts to be here?

The Saints? The Packers? Each of those teams had huge chunks of their Ds leave the last 2 years and had bad defenses last year, certainly FAR WORSE than ours.   Try watching games outside of ours for once, PezzDispenser.

How drunk or dumb are you? Not one thing you said is true.  Tommy Kelly makes more than Vince and Brady?

What on earth?

Can anyone explain his disease? It might be brand new to the medical/scientific community!

Kelly 8,874 267

Wilfork, 8,600 000

Mankins 7,000 000

TB, 7, 775 000

Kelly is making 8 million in 2013?

So, Oak cuts him for 6.5 due in 2013 and we pay him 8 million as he bangs down our door to win a ring with BB?

LOL!

Delusional.  Please get a college education. 

That's what his salary is listed at, troll.  You got a problem, speak to the GM.

BWAHAHAHA!

93 Kelly, Tommy LDT 6-6 325 32 10 Mississippi State $8,874,267

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

T

Running Backs NoPlayerPosHtWtAgeExpCollege2013 Salary 39 Bartholomew, Ben FB 6-2 252 23 R Tennessee N/A 29 Blount, LeGarrette RB 6-0 247 26 4 Oregon $540,000 38 Bolden, Brandon RB 5-11 220 23 2 Mississippi $395,000 46 Develin, James FB 6-3 251 24 2 Brown N/A   Hines, Quentin RB 5-11 190 22 R Akron N/A 22 Ridley, Stevan RB 5-11 220 24 3 LSU $671,250 35 Shavers, Akeem RB 5-11 203 N/A R Purdue N/A 34 Vereen, Shane RB 5-9 205 24 3 California $786,625 33 Washington, Leon PR/RB 5-8 203 30 8 Florida State $3,375,000

This one kills me!  A million bucks MORE than all other RB's COMBINED! 

Pays to hit on those draft picks!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Pezz you are wrong.  Every source around the country had the patriots signing Kelly to a 2 year 5 million dollar deal with only a million guaranteed.

Look here for example: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/tommy-kelly/

The yahoo numbers are wrong or are including dead money from Oakland which is irrelevant to us.  Stop trolling.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

The same thing applies for Adrian Wilson and Washington.  The numbers you are quoting are wrong.  Learn the game.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

If this thread doesn't demonstrate that Pezz has gone off the deep end idk what will.  Trolling so hard on BB he quotes obviously false numbers.  You'd think if we were paying Kelly 8 million it would have gotten a bit more attention on this board.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

If this thread doesn't demonstrate that Pezz has gone off the deep end idk what will.  Trolling so hard on BB he quotes obviously false numbers.

Deep end?  I guess yahoo has gone off the deep end as that is what they are reporting.

And they are only wrong with the new FA's?

Media bias, against BB, right?  Must be.

Sorry I don't have time to go through every news sourse in the country like you.  I saw exactly one that had all the salaries listed,  Regardless, his salary on the DL is more than anyone not named Wilfork, and exactly my point.  Pays to hit on those draft picks!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I do.

What on earth?

Kelly 8,874 267

Wilfork, 8,600 000

Mankins 7,000 000

TB, 7, 775 000

Kelly is making 8 million in 2013?

So, Oak cuts him for 6.5 due in 2013 and we pay him 8 million as he bangs down our door to win a ring with BB?

LOL!

Delusional.  Please get a college education. 

That's what his salary is listed at, troll.  You got a problem, speak to the GM.

BWAHAHAHA!

93 Kelly, Tommy LDT 6-6 325 32 10 Mississippi State $8,874,267

Brady makes less then tommy Kelly?  Great googlie mooglie! 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

If this thread doesn't demonstrate that Pezz has gone off the deep end idk what will.  Trolling so hard on BB he quotes obviously false numbers.  You'd think if we were paying Kelly 8 million it would have gotten a bit more attention on this board.

I've had pezz on ignore for a long time. He only comes out for BB bashing. Probably a spin off of another poster...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

All this discussion makes me wonder which type of bust is worse ....

The guy who just underperformed to expectation or the guy who just never really got a season on the field together due to injuries (especially a kid who has a history of injuries in college in the first place).

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.