For those attacking the D

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

Re: For those attacking the D

In Response to For those attacking the D:

The defense will be a work in progress for the first quarter season.  I saw a lot of postivie signs: 1) Four sacks and it should have been five or six (Wilfork - the flag should have been intentional grounding in the end zone, not roughing.  Thomas - gave away a sack with his uncalled for body slam). 2) Solid coverage on the wide receivers. 3) Forced 3 fumbles 4) Gave up well under 300 yards total offense Plenty of room to improve and crossed fingers on Mayo, but I liked the speed and hitting. 
    Posted by Encinitas

I agree with most of this.  But let's see what happens when the Pats play the iron of the league.  They controlled the tempo and kept Buffalo's O on the sidelines, which probably skews the stats a bit.  All in all, I'm hopeful that Mayo will be back and that the young guys step it up to make the D respectable. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moorepatsfan54. Show moorepatsfan54's posts

I agree with what you are saying, and hopefully as the season goes on the D will begin to jell. On a side not Shawn Springs didn't play the pre-season at all and keeped T.O. to two catches for 25-30 yards, and the same for Bodden who keeped Lee Evans to about the same stats.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjdkid100. Show mjdkid100's posts

The only thing i disagree with is that it would not have been intentional grounding in the endzone. They were running a screen and Jackson was there.

The whole point of last night was that the Pats clearly wanted to shutdown Evans and TO. They pretty much did that but in turn opened up the field for Jackson, the middle, and screens.

The D gave up 17 points and would have been less if the Pats converted the 4th downs, and the Wilfork call was erased.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from uncommon-sense. Show uncommon-sense's posts

AMEN!!! All good points.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Last night was the best play against WR's I've seen in a few years. When D's have a lot of new players many times it will take about 4-5 games until they are all in synch.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jj-12day. Show jj-12day's posts

The d needs alot of work. That was not a very good team they played last night.
    It could have been the colts. They are going to have to step it up on D to be
    able to take care of the Jets. The no huddle killed wilfork, he could hardly catch his breath. We could have used the guys we have lost in the middle. Lets hope
    the defense clicks. The offense will always be there.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

On the negative side, we played a Buffalo team that has installed a brand new offense, was totally out of synch all pre-season (I don't believe their 1st team offense scored at all), and fired their OC 10 days ago.

I thought our DB's played well but now I'm concerned about the front 7.  Without Seymour, I'm not sure we have that disruptive force that demands double teaming.  Buffalo played 3 offensive linemen that had never played an NFL game (both their guards are rookies) and they more than held their own against our d line.  We had a few sacks but there were many other plays where Edwards had all day to throw.

If Mayo is out for any length of time, then I'm really concerned.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mnp3a. Show mnp3a's posts

anyone has the stats on bill's yards after catch?
    it looked like they were able to run forever on completed passes.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from thetrinity12. Show thetrinity12's posts

Our team speed still scares me. Perhaps part of our trouble with screens was that we paid so much attention to Owens and Evans. Maybe Bodden and whoever is on the other side are there to make more plays against a different team.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

The Bills will be a force this season, the D will only get better and I love their speed!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I'm wondering how Wilfork is going to be in the 4-3? He's a great two-gap nose tackle, but I'm not sure he's quick enough to shoot the gaps and get into the backfield in a 4-3.  I would have liked to have seen Seymour in a 4-3 and a Patriot's uniform.  He looked pretty good in the 4-3 last night, but that Raider's uniform ruined it for me. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

And why isn't Guyton stopping or blowing up any screens to Jackson. The secondary played well, but I hate it when the have to stop traps, screens and running plays in general....anytime the secondary is making too many plays it's usually because of poor LB play. Guyton has great speed, but he took himself out of some plays by not reading the play effectively. He'll get better, but without Mayo I am concerned about the LB corps.

Sections
Shortcuts