For those that think winning in college = winning in the NFL

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Anarchy99. Show Anarchy99's posts

For those that think winning in college = winning in the NFL

There has been a lot of talk lately that Tim Tebow will do well in the NFL because he won a lot of games in college.  Here are some capsules of guys that fared pretty similar in college . . .

For comparison, Tim Tebow went 35-6, won a National Championship, and won a Heisman.

- Danny Wuerffel at Florida went 45-6-1 as a starter and won the Heisman and the National Championship. He ended up as a 4th round pick and played 6 years as a backup in the pros.

- Chris Weinke won the Heisman and a National Championship at Florida State and ended up 32-3 as a starter. He also was a 4th round pick. He wound up with a 2-18 record as a starter in the NFL.

- Charlie Ward also won the Heisman (by over 1,600 votes compared to the runner up) and led Flordia State to the National Championship and went 23-2 as a starter. He didn't even get drafted (apparently telling teams if they didn't draft him on the first round then he would play basketball instead).

- Gino Toretta went 23-1 as a starter at Miami. National Championship, Heisman winner. 7th round pick. Played in 2 NFL games in his entire career bouncing around 5 NFL franchises.

- David Greene won 42 games at Georgia and was a 3rd round (85th pick). He bounced around various camps but never played a game in the NFL (Seahawks, Patriots, Chiefs, Colts).

- Ken Dorsey led Miami to a 38-2 record and a national title. He was a two time Heisman finalist, but went in the 7th round. He bounced around and ended up with a career record as an NFL starter of 2-11.

- Tommie Frazier went 33-3 at Nebraska, was runner up in the Heisman, and won back-to-back titles. He went undrafted with concerns over his health.

- Rick Leach went 38-8-2 at Michigan and was drafted in the 5th round. He opted to play baseball instead.

- Eric Crouch won the Heisman and led Nebraska to a 35-7 record and was a 3rd round (95th pick) in the draft . . . as a WR. When that didn't stick, he tried to convert to safety and ended in NFL Europe.

- Troy Smith went 27-4 as a starter at Ohio State and won the Heisman. He was a 5th round pick. He's been a back up from 3 seasons in the NFL.

- Jason White won the Heisman and led Oklahoma to a 24-3 record. He went undrafted, eventually tried out for a couple of teams, but never played in the NFL.

- Ty Detmer won a Heisman at BYU and IIRC went 30-9-1 as a starter. He saw limited success as a back up for 6 NFL franchises and posted an 11-14 record as a starter.

- Andre Ware had more draft fanfare than most of the others I've listed, as he was drafted 7th overall. A Heisman winner from Houston, he left school early after posting a 9-2 record in 1989. He lasted 4 years in the NFL and went 5-5 before moving to NFL Europe and the CFL.

- Matt Leinart won the Heisman and sported an impressive 37-2 record for USC. He'll likely get a bigger chance to prove something this year, but so far he's been so so with a sub .500 record as a starter.

I'm sure I could find more examples, but IMO, winning in college does not prove anything in the NFL. Maybe Tebow will be different, but I don't see that one leads to the other.

All it takes is one NFL team to have an itchy trigger finger, and there will likely be someone that will call Tebow's name a lot earlier than they should.   But just because a guy "knew how to win" in college doesn't mean that carries over, nor does that mean that player will go on to NFL success.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stompper. Show Stompper's posts

Re: For those that think winning in college = winning in the NFL

In Response to For those that think winning in college = winning in the NFL:
    There has been a lot of talk lately that Tim Tebow will do well in college because he won a lot of games in college. 
    Posted by Anarchy99

Wait, are you saying Tebow is going back to college?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocher. Show rocher's posts

Tom Brady won a lot in college.
    So did Drew Brees and Peyton Manning. And Philip Rivers and Ben Rothleisbeger (sp ?).
    So it works both ways. Your analysis is one sided.
    I'll take my chances with the winners. You can have the talented losers.

You know who didn't win much ? Jay Cutler. He turned into a winner in the NFL.
    Trent Edwards won like 1 game his senior year. That losing didn't really help the Bills.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

I dont understand why you would post this. No serious fan believes that winning in college = winning in the NFL. And nobody who has a clue thinks Tebow is even close to being a real legitimate QB , seriously I dont know anyone who knows their chit that thinks Tebow is close to be ready to even being a decent QB. From right now 3/29 Tebow is 2-3 years away from being a starter. Listen I cant stand this kid and his whiny religious nonsense , he needs to pray for some better footwork and accuracy. But unlike most I can put my feelings aside and make a real/serious judgement about him and other athletes. Tebow does have potential to be a good player one day , physical and mental potential. To be a serious QB in the NFL you need toughness , accuracy , smarts , arm strength and leadership skills. I believe you need to have a little bit of all , but need to excell at three to be an elite QB. Guys like Brady , Manning , Favre , Brees , Roethlisberger have them all. Id even throw Rogers , in there as well. Again my point is you have to have at least 3 to be an upper tier guy  , Tebow has toughness , leadership , and I believe he has enough arm strength to make most of the throws one would need to be a starter in the NFL. But accuracy IMHO is the most important PHYSICAL tool you need , much more important than arm strength. Theres no way one can make it in the league w/out it and along w/ footwork/mechanics that his biggest problem. And Im not sure he'll ever be an " accurate " QB and in terms of his mechanics , well hes been throwing and using those movements for 15 years , can he really change them now and be successful at it? Who knows , but those are the two biggest roadblocks in his journey.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

You make a decent point rocer , but talent is much more important than winning. And I really dont think thats up for debate. Ultimately its talent that rules the day , not winning , to an extent winning is overrated. Do you realize how many things need to fall in place to win , how much luck is involved?  Ill take talent over winning any day! Tim Tebow isnt going to picked because he didnt win in college , hes not going to be picked because his lack of talent. His footwork , accuracy and mechanics are what teams are looking at. If it was about how many wins he had then why isnt he going in the first or even second round. Matt Leinart has a sore azz because of his lack of talent and skills , not because he didnt win in college. He won everything there is to win in college. Listen winning is great an all , but you get drafted and ultimately succeed because of your talent/skills. And I hope you were joking , but think you were serious about Cutler. LOL hes anything but a winner in the NFL. Thats a terrible point , just makes no sense at all.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

GET A LIFE 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

Only two Heisman trophy winners have gone on to win Superbowls.
    The last one was Jim Plunkett in 1981, playing for the Oakland Raiders.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Anarchy99. Show Anarchy99's posts

In Response to Re: For those that think winning in college = winning in the NFL:
    Tom Brady won a lot in college. So did Drew Brees and Peyton Manning. And Philip Rivers and Ben Rothleisbeger (sp ?). So it works both ways. Your analysis is one sided. I'll take my chances with the winners. You can have the talented losers. You know who didn't win much ? Jay Cutler. He turned into a winner in the NFL. Trent Edwards won like 1 game his senior year. That losing didn't really help the Bills.
    Posted by rocher

The topic was that winning in college did not always make guys winners in the pros.

Brady went 20-5 as a starter.  Brees 24-13.  Manning 39-6.  Rivers 34-17.  Big Ben 27-11.

In his last two seasons at Stanford with Trent Edwards, they went 6-17.  As pro, he's gone 13-15 as a starter.

And what has Cutler won in the NFL?  He's gone 24-29 as an NFL starter.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Not only his winning, it is more how he approaches the game.  He's a kid who will work harder than anyone to improve his craft.  Guys like Russell won in college to get a paycheck in the NFL.

If Russell had Tebow's work ethic he probably would be a top QB in the league. 

Tebow IMO is not a special player because he was such a good college player, he's special because of how he works to improve and doesn't get complaisant.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

tebow will be a great professional QB...if he plays in that other league with the lesser players

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In Response to Re: For those that think winning in college = winning in the NFL:
    You guys do realize that half of all college quarterbacks in a given year are winners (won more than lost). I mean it has to be true mathematically. That's a lot of college quarterbacks who are winners, lol!
    Posted by murghkhor

Ummm...don't know where you studied mathematics, but that statement is categorically false, dude.

Sections
Shortcuts