For WR conversation: Fitz Vs. Rice

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

For WR conversation: Fitz Vs. Rice

Chad Greenway was tagged by the Vikes, which is unfortunate even though the Pats probably wouldn't have gave him a deal he wanted; however, this means Sidney Rice will be a UFA.  Now I don't even care for Rice or Fitz as a receiver as I see someone like Steve Smith as a better economic decision, but if you guys wanted that true number 1WR guy, I would think Rice is the better option overall.  Injury or not Rice is only 24 and would not require giving up draft picks and wanting QB money.  While he would be be a top 5 WR in money, the Pats would have him for the next 5 years in his prime. 

Now again, I am just doing this for the sake of conversation, but I think it's rather compelling.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Re: For WR conversation: Fitz Vs. Rice

Vikings can’t use transition tag on Sidney Rice

With the Vikings using the franchise tag on linebacker Chad Greenway, speculation has centered on the team applying a transition tag to receiver Sidney Rice.

The only problem?  The Vikings can’t use it on Rice.

A league source recently explained to us that the extra transition tag under the rules of the uncapped year may be applied only to a player with six years of service.  Rice has only four.

There’s still no guarantee an extra transition tag will be available under the next CBA, or under any rules that are unilaterally applied by the league due to decertification or a declaration or impasse.

In a capped year, teams may use only one franchise tag or one transition tag, but not both.

The transition tag has limited value, in any event.  It provides only an opportunity to match an offer sheet that the player signs with a new team, but no compensation if the offer isn’t matched

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Sidney Rice is made of glass and has questionable heart.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

I'd say Rice would be a better choice. Larry Fitz is great, but he isn't the best at YAC. Usually when he catches a ball in coverage the play ends there. He does have better hands than Rice, but not by too much. I saw Rice play here in SC, and he has great potential. We saw how he blossomed when Favre played. If healthy he could be even better with Brady. Also he's younger and won't command a salary as high as Larry will. His presence would also open up a lot more opportunities for Welker. I, too, think defense (especially the pass rush) needs to be addressed more urgently. But I certainly would love to see Sidney forcing the opponent's D to roll coverage his way in Foxboro! Not that Fitz would be bad, either, but I think Rice is a better fit for this offense.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

I'd like to see them sign Rice and DeAngelo Williams.  That way they can just focus on getting the best talent at DL, OLB, OL in the draft.   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from j24m1. Show j24m1's posts

Rice would be more affordable and realistic, but anyone that watches a significant amount of NFL football can't possibly think Rice would be more effective than Fitz. Fitz is arguably the best reciever in football, along with AJ.

Sections
Shortcuts