For you Manning haters.... steel yourselves!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Re: For you Manning haters.... steel yourselves!

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

Peyton Manning is arguably the greatest regualr season QB of all time. Playoffs... not so much.

Recordwise, no.  But these are still team wins and losses, and if I were a coach and had a choice of any QB to take to the playoffs, Manning would be right at the top with Brady. 

I understand your point but it's hard to ignore 11 playoff losses and 8 one and outs. I believe 3 or 4 of those one and outs coming as the 1 or 2 seed. like i sad possibly the greatest regular season QB all time.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to fourjays30's comment:

How come no one is complaining about him running up the score!

Because the situations are different. 

1.  Didn't start hearing that about the pats until they beat the redskins 52-7 in late october.  The Patriots were up 38-0 with 2 minutes left in the third and they kept Brady in.  He held the ball 6 minutes into the 4th and scored, and then came out.  Manning was up 35-13 (much different situation than 38-0) when he played his last drive of the game.  The broncos scored before the end of the quarter and manning didn't play again. 

2.  The pats had a much better defense than the Broncos do now.  The broncos have yet to hold an opponent under 20 pts while in 2007 the pats gave up more than 20 points only 5 times in the regular season. 

Fair or not, the circumstances are different.  In that game where Brady played into the fourth and scored, he started the drive in the third.  Its natural for him to continue the drive to its conclusion and then sit, so I see no issue there to even consider. 

Fact is the grumblings continued after the pats won 56-10 a couple of weeks later.  I assure you that if the broncos continue to score like they have an manage to hold some teams under 20, you'll hear the grumblings. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]

Peyton Manning is arguably the greatest regualr season QB of all time. Playoffs... not so much.

Recordwise, no.  But these are still team wins and losses, and if I were a coach and had a choice of any QB to take to the playoffs, Manning would be right at the top with Brady. 

I understand your point but it's hard to ignore 11 playoff losses and 8 one and outs. I believe 3 or 4 of those one and outs coming as the 1 or 2 seed. like i sad possibly the greatest regular season QB all time.

[/QUOTE]

If you believe Brady is a better QB now (hopefully you do) than he was when he was winning his superbowls then you may have to change your tune a bit.  Brady's post season record relies heavily on those 3 years which are now 12, 10, and 9 years past.  Brady is long way since his last SB win and has a 8-7 record since his last SB win. He is much more likely to perform now as he has over the past 5 years than as he did 10 years ago. 

Now I for one, think Brady is better than he was 10 years ago and would prefer to have today's him vs. the 2001-2004 him.  His recent record (like Manning's) proves that much more is needed than just QB play and for QB play to overcome other team definciencies, it needs to be nearly perfect.  Neither of them have been perfect.  You may still wish to have Brady.  Thats your choice, but, imo, the stats you cite for making your decision are a bit flawed. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

The Broncos have played four teams and those teams have combined for a total of four wins. It isn't like they have played great competition. They are very good don't get me wrong, but they have yet to be tested.

Manning is 37 now and has always played worse down the stretch. At some point that is going to be a bad combination.

Come on if you think you can take us on
    You and whose army?
    You and your cronies.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to magicalhobo's comment:

The Broncos have played four teams and those teams have combined for a total of four wins. It isn't like they have played great competition. They are very good don't get me wrong, but they have yet to be tested.

Manning is 37 now and has always played worse down the stretch. At some point that is going to be a bad combination.

Come on if you think you can take us on
    You and whose army?
    You and your cronies.

Fair points. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourjays30. Show fourjays30's posts

In response to UD6's comment:

[QUOTE]

Because the situations are different. 

1.  Didn't start hearing that about the pats until they beat the redskins 52-7 in late october.  The Patriots were up 38-0 with 2 minutes left in the third and they kept Brady in.  He held the ball 6 minutes into the 4th and scored, and then came out.  Manning was up 35-13 (much different situation than 38-0) when he played his last drive of the game.  The broncos scored before the end of the quarter and manning didn't play again. 

2.  The pats had a much better defense than the Broncos do now.  The broncos have yet to hold an opponent under 20 pts while in 2007 the pats gave up more than 20 points only 5 times in the regular season. 

Fair or not, the circumstances are different.  In that game where Brady played into the fourth and scored, he started the drive in the third.  Its natural for him to continue the drive to its conclusion and then sit, so I see no issue there to even consider. 

Fact is the grumblings continued after the pats won 56-10 a couple of weeks later.  I assure you that if the broncos continue to score like they have an manage to hold some teams under 20, you'll hear the grumblings. 

[/QUOTE]

UD6:

I would be careful what you say. Watch what happens when he comes into Indy and gets all those favorable calls like he used to get when he was your QB. I am sure you will be signing a diffrent tune when that happens.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Fourjays - temper your bias just a bit.  It's clouding your reasoning.  Favorable calls?  Don't all very good QB's (including Brady) get favorable calls? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Running it up?  Way off UD.  The Bills complained about it as early as week 3 (the reason they really shoved the Bills faces in it in the 2nd meeting), it was catching fire when they beat the Cowboys 2 weeks before the Redskins.  It reached a fever pitch after the Redskins.

It's the same thing....and it's just as stupid an observation then as it is now. 

Agreed, it's not just Manning that gets the PI calls.  The offenses in general get the breaks.  A lot of DPI calls really could go either way.  It's just not called that way.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

croc - couldn't find any of that information related to the bills.  Vs. the Cowboys, it was a 7 pt game at the end of the 3rd and an 11 point game with 10 minutes to go.  Now, some may have said the last touchdown was a little much after Dallas was out of timeouts and less than a minute to go.  I'll give you that. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

UD.. give it up to say the Pats and Brady are not treated differently in the media as it relates to running up the score etc versus how similar events are viewed when they involve Manning...   A classic example:

It was quickly pointed out how the 4 - 0 Pats opponents are a combined 5 - 11 YTD.  When the 4 - 0 Broncos are spoken about, not a word about their opponents combined record being 4 - 11.  Hmmmmmmm....

AGCSBill, just a fan havin' fun!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to magicalhobo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

And three of these games are at home.  Meaning, they got 7 games on the road for the rest of the season including the ones in Foxboro, Seattle, S.F., Dallas, KC, San Diego, and Houston.  I can foreseeing them to lose more games that they will win against these teams on the road!

Let Denver just trying to run the score up to try to scare these future opponents!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Section136. Show Section136's posts

In response to hardright's comment:

I have always liked Peyton Manning: It's the incessant tongue-baths he gets from the media that drive me nuts.

In fact, even after beating Atlanta on the road last night, the media (some, anyway) were quick to point out that the cumulative record of NE's opponents so far is 5-11. Of course, some of these same media types were already declaring the '72 Dolphins 17-0 season in jeopardy when referring to Manning's Denver juggernaut. Funny, though, that none of them mentioned the cumulative record of Denver's four opponents: 4-12--that would be worse than NE's through four weeks.

Unreal.

Like Peyton Manning; can't stand the media that fawns all over him and usually goes out of its way to cover for his historic January flops (I mean, he has to shoulder at least some of the blame for the eight one and done's, doesn't he?).

Great points! Had to change the channel the other night because it was all Manning - Peyton, Eli, and Archie...enough already! I think Peyton and Eli's sense of humor is awesome - Peyton was a riot on SNL. This "debate" is based on insecurity of fans - similar to the name calling on this board.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

UD.. give it up to say the Pats and Brady are not treated differently in the media as it relates to running up the score etc versus how similar events are viewed when they involve Manning...   A classic example:

It was quickly pointed out how the 4 - 0 Pats opponents are a combined 5 - 11 YTD.  When the 4 - 0 Broncos are spoken about, not a word about their opponents combined record being 4 - 11.  Hmmmmmmm....

AGC - In the media, every team has naysayers and every team has supporters.  You guys cannot stand the honesty of ANY negative statement or downplayed positive.  Some of you even act disrespected if another team or player is lauded when it has nothing to do with the pats (example:  this thread). 

It's truly crazy and I don't know if there is another fanbase like it in the league. 

Finally, I know that many of you want to push this narrative of anti-pats media bias.  I don't see it.  The pats get coverage for 2 reasons:  1) they have been historically successful  2) they exist in one of the largest media markets in the country that also is helped by it being on the east coast.  Boston, NY, Philly, Washington get most of the media attention regardless of their record with maybe one exception (Dallas). 

When teams are in the media focused large market eastern seaboard the media must write stories about these teams to satisfy the large population fanbase.  The media writes about smaller market teams with much less frequency.   

But this is probably the most important thing.  Pats fans are focused on everything pats related.  Consume a ton of information related to the pats which means you even see the comments like - they've beaten teams that are a combined 5-11 (or whatever).  You probably don't consume everythin Broncos related, but catch what's being said on a sunday show or a midweek show.  Here's something written in USA Today (largest paper in the country) about the broncos:

The Broncos are 4-0, averaging 44.8 points per game, and Peyton Manning has thrown 16 touchdowns without an interception. The numbers are ridiculous, and Denver appears unstoppable. Manning threw for 327 yards and four touchdowns in three quarters Sunday. He’s on pace to throw 64 – 64! – touchdowns this season. As the dust settles on Week 4, let’s ask ourselves one question.

So what?

Denver and Manning have beaten four teams with a combined record of 4-12. Two of those teams, the Eagles and the Giants, have conceded 146 and 138 points over four games. That’s good for worst and second-worst in the league

It is more than likely that your focus on the pats includes significantly more content than you take in about other teams. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

UD - it is what it is.  Everything we read/hear is subjective and carries the slant of the writer/speaker.  In the end, if the Pats win the SB this year in spite of what Denver is doing, we'll be very happy regardless of the media agenda for or against!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

I hardly think any intelligent Pats fan hates Manning.We just Love Brady. I can guarantee the same feelings were felt between Bronco and 49er fans when the Elway/Montana debate was in vogue....I dont' hate Manning, I just think he's goofy looking as all Pho-k

"Don't touch my Leatherhelmet!!"

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Helmet...  I agree.

If there is anything that brings to boil Pats' fans blood when comparisons are made between Manning and Brady, it is when the subject of the overall offense personnel around these two.  Year in and year out, we hear about the type of players Manning gets to have around him versus the lack of such quality around Brady save for a player or two.  Look at this year.  Imagine if Manning had to work with what Brady has and vice versa?  Regardless, it is what it is and we can only discuss the possibilities as the current circumstances are not going to change at all.  We just have to live with the fact we have one of the greatest to play QB on this team.  How horrible! (-;

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

Helmet...  I agree.

If there is anything that brings to boil Pats' fans blood when comparisons are made between Manning and Brady, it is when the subject of the overall offense personnel around these two.  Year in and year out, we hear about the type of players Manning gets to have around him versus the lack of such quality around Brady save for a player or two.  Look at this year.  Imagine if Manning had to work with what Brady has and vice versa?  Regardless, it is what it is and we can only discuss the possibilities as the current circumstances are not going to change at all.  We just have to live with the fact we have one of the greatest to play QB on this team.  How horrible! (-;

in 2009 Manning had to deal with a rookie 4th rounder named Austin Collie and a 2nd year 6th rounder who'd only caught 4 passes the year before.  He coached them up pretty well.

in 2010, while also dealing with his own neck problem, he had to deal with injuries to Garcon, Collie, Clark, and Gonzalez, Addai, and Brown.  He worked with players like Blair White, Jacob Tamme, Javarris James, Mike Hart, and Brandon James. 

No one is crying you a river just yet. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

Let's face it.  PM is an excellent QB, one of the best ever.  It's foolish to begrudge him his receivers, his yards, his completion %, his TD passes, etc..  Even Patriots fans can appreciate the Horseface's artistry!  

He is having the best year of his career so far but the season is long, and Broncos haven't faced the steel yet.  May be he'll break all sorts of records but come playoff time, Patriots will get their injured players back, the young WRs will have learned and meshed with TB12, defense will get better and they will have a deep run to the Super Bowl.  Hey, that's what we, as fans do!

Red Sox in 2013 World Series, Patriots in 2014 Super Bowl!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Here's what espn wrote:

At some point it bears pointing out that those four teams are currently a tidy 4-12. And some will say nobody has dug in yet against the Broncos and forced them to play a roll-up-your-sleeves game with punts flying back and forth and field position at a premium.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Because he isn't.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

UD6  we need a new board cop. the last one went to the wittness protection program and probably has a new identity packet here already.  You know the one that you get when you hide or get banned.

You get a badge, a gun , a ticket book and a scooter. Intrested?

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

UD6  we need a new board cop. the last one went to the wittness protection program and probably has a new identity packet here already.  You know the one that you get when you hide or get banned.

Seeing Gints might be turning his in i thought we could pass it on.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

Seeing Gints might be turning his in i thought we could pass it on.

eeeeee youuuuu eeeee youuuuu   ha ha

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to UD6's comment:

If you believe Brady is a better QB now (hopefully you do) than he was when he was winning his superbowls then you may have to change your tune a bit.  Brady's post season record relies heavily on those 3 years which are now 12, 10, and 9 years past.  Brady is long way since his last SB win and has a 8-7 record since his last SB win. He is much more likely to perform now as he has over the past 5 years than as he did 10 years ago. 

Now I for one, think Brady is better than he was 10 years ago and would prefer to have today's him vs. the 2001-2004 him.  His recent record (like Manning's) proves that much more is needed than just QB play and for QB play to overcome other team definciencies, it needs to be nearly perfect.  Neither of them have been perfect.  You may still wish to have Brady.  Thats your choice, but, imo, the stats you cite for making your decision are a bit flawed. 

-----------------

I tend to agree with you UD (as unpopular as that may be on this site).  I'd say Brady's postseason record was helped by a very good defense in the early part of his career and hurt by a bad defense later.  Manning's record was hurt by a weak defense through much of his tenure with the Colts.  Both have made some notable playoff interceptions and had weaker playoff games, but overall both play well postseason and regular season.  Their postseason win-loss records have a lot to do with other players, both their teammates and opposing players. 

I do think Manning has benefitted by having a comparatively good and stable receiver group through much of his career, while Brady has had to put up with a continually changing group of varying quality. Still Brady has had some great receivers and Manning some bad, so that difference can be exaggerated.  People will debate endlessly who is better, but both are excellent and really that's all that matters.  The rest of their respective teams' strengths and weaknesses are far more significant than any difference in skill between these two great QBs.

Sections
Shortcuts