Former Lions lineman admits he let his QB get injured on purpose

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Former Lions lineman admits he let his QB get injured on purpose

From yahoo.com:

We've all had those co-workers we can't stand, but most folks' problems with co-workers generally stop with them stealing lunches from the company fridge or snitching on office supply kleptomania. Former Detroit Lions quarterback Scott Mitchell has more cause than most to complain about his co-workers, because one of them actually wanted him to get knocked out of the game...and, apparently, succeeded.

Lomas Brown, a former Lions lineman, was tasked with protecting quarterback Scott Mitchell. But the seven-time Pro Bowler confessed recently to Scott Van Pelt and Ryen Russillo that when it came to Mitchell, well, he might not have put forth his best effort on every snap. In fact, he'd send a message to his own quarterback in a way only an offensive lineman could:

"Know how I did it? Just let the [defensive] guy hit him," Brown said. "Just let the D-lineman get a shot on him. I'd make it look good. I had some actor in me." 

Brown gave some more vivid, if not completely accurate, details as regards Mitchell: "We were playing Green Bay in Milwaukee. We were getting beat, 24-3, at that time and he just stunk up the place. He's throwing interceptions, just everything. So I looked at Kevin Glover, our All-Pro center and I said, 'Glove, that is it.' I said, 'I'm getting him out the game.' ... So I got the gator arms on the guy at the last minute, he got around me, he hit Scott Mitchell, he did something to his finger ... and he came out the game. Dave Krieg came in the game. We ended up losing that game, 27-24."

USA Today notes that the game, Nov. 6, 1994, actually had a slightly different score: Detroit was down 24-0 when Green Bay's Sean Jones broke Mitchell's hand on a hit. Mitchell had completed just five of 15 passes and thrown two interceptions. Krieg came in, threw three touchdowns, but the Lions lost 38-30. Krieg would lead the Lions to the playoffs, where they'd fall to the Packers in the wild-card round. 

Now, lest there be any miscommunication here, Brown reiterated that he said what he meant, and meant what he said: “"I've been out of the game since '02. I don't think much can happen to me. Yes, America, yes, I did it."

Quarterbacks, a memo: do NOT make your offensive linemen unhappy. They can wreck your life in a way nobody else can.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

Re: Former Lions lineman admits he let his QB get injured on purpose

"the longest yard" kinda stuff in the NFL

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Not much of a teammate if you ask me.He let Jones break his own QB's Mitchell's hand.That's pretty low.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Oh please, everyone knows this. That's why it is wise for QBs to treat their linemen well. The same goes for WRs and RBs...

A WR that a QB doesn't like gets led into a safety or he doesn't get the ball at all. Same goes for a RB, the QB aufibles out of a run play...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not much of a teammate if you ask me.He let Jones break his own QB's Mitchell's hand.That's pretty low.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Not the kind of player I would want on my team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Brown was a Pro Bowler on some really bad teams, he was a heck of a tackle, he is exactly the guy you wanted protecting your blind side.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Brown was a Pro Bowler on some really bad teams, he was a heck of a tackle, he is exactly the guy you wanted protecting your blind side.

[/QUOTE]

I think Scott Mitchell would disagree with you.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

who the heck names their kid Lomas?....and he is forever a Dumbas for coming out on this

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Scott Mitchell was terrible, he is the poster boy for why you don't give huge contracts to back ups who play well for a half a season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

This stuff has been going on for a long time this is nothing new. I'm just suprised Lomas let it out publicly.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Fragging in the NFL, not that shocking.  This stuff happens everywhere, offices, loading docks, factory floors, construction sites...just takes different forms.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Scott Mitchell was terrible, he is the poster boy for why you don't give huge contracts to back ups who play well for a half a season.

[/QUOTE]

Well,that's different.Now I'm convinced that Jones did the right thing by not doing what he was paid to do and not protecting his teammate and QB so the opposing team could break his hand. 

In fact,maybe the Pats linemen should have alligator armed some of the rushers yesterday when Brady threw 2 ints in his first 3 series to teach him a lesson.

Yes,it was sarcasm.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Scott Mitchell reacts.From Yahoo.com:

No matter how badly your quarterback is playing, suffice to say it's a matter of pride (not to mention professional responsibility) to block your very best for Mr. Craptacular no matter how badly he's stinking up the joint. And that's what made the recent admission of former NFL lineman and current ESPN analyst Lomas Brown so surprising. Brown recently told ESPN Radio that in a 1994 game with the Detroit Lions, he whiffed a block on purpose so that Green Bay Packers defensive lineman Sean Jones could basically take quarterback Scott Mitchell out of the game.

“We were playing Green Bay in Milwaukee,” Brown said. “We were getting beat  at that time and he just stunk up the place. He’s throwing interceptions, just everything. So I looked at Kevin Glover, our All-Pro center and I said, ‘Glove, that is it.’ I said, ‘I’m getting him out the game.’ . . . So I got the gator arms on the guy at the last minute, he got around me, he hit Scott Mitchell, he did something to his finger . . . and he came out the game. [Lions backup quarterback] Dave Krieg came in the game.”

Yes, Mitchell was playing horribly, and yes, Krieg did nearly lead the Lions to a comeback win. But to admit that you laid down so that one of your teammates could get hurt? It seems to be the very antithesis of the football ethos. When asked about it by Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio on Wednesday's Dan Patrick Show, Mitchell used the word a lot of people must have been thinking:reprehensible.

“It just really hurt,” Mitchell said. “It was extremely disappointing. I’m really shocked by it, to be honest. Here’s a guy I’ve had in my house, I had a big dinner for the offensive linemen every year, he came to my house and ate dinner, I gave my offensive linemen gifts every year. For him to do that is just reprehensible, beyond words. It’s really disappointing, it really is painful. When you mess with my family, mess with my livelihood, mess with my health, it’s unacceptable. It’s B.S. I just wouldn’t do it to a teammate. I wouldn’t do it. If Lomas has a problem with me, come talk to me. To try to get someone hurt, it’s just mind-boggling.”

The injury ended Mitchell's season, the Lions went 5-2 down the stretch with Krieg at quarterback, and they actually made the playoffs. But Brown's admission puts a big stink on the whole thing.

Whether other players have done such things in the past or not, what's mind-boggling is that a player would ever admit it after the fact. Mitchell signed a three-year, $11 million contract with Detroit before the 1994 season based on a few good years behind Dan Marino in Miami. Things didn't pan out as planned for Mitchell, but that's still no excuse for what Brown claimed to have done.

That said ... given that Brown now works for a company that seems to want sensationalism above analysis, and given that Brown had trouble remembering some of the facts of the game, one wonders if Brown was gilding the lily a bit in order to get his name out there.

If that's the case, mission accomplished. Brown will now be remembered more for one alleged dive than for a 13-year career with seven Pro Bowl selections. And that's a shame.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanInOz. Show PatsFanInOz's posts

I don't I blame him at all.

He wants to win and since the teams management was sticking with a lousy QB when they had a better one riding the bench, why not let a guy through and get the better QB into the game. Sure, his job is to protect the QB, but it's also his job to help win games. The team was in a better position after he did that, so, mission complete.

I'm surprised someone didn't do this to Sanchez... or did they? Hmm.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Norger. Show Norger's posts

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Dave Krieg was a better QB, they went further into the post season than where they would have gotten with Mitchell playing, Wayne Fontes was only playing Mitchell because the GM had given this big stiff a ginormous contract after spelling Marino for a half season.  

Krieg had actually been a good QB on Seattle in the past.  Those 90's Lions team were their last real shot at a ring, they had the single greatest runner in NFL history in Barry Sanders and were loaded at WR... they're only flaw was the Run And Shoot offense was a finesse offense. Mel Gray was a heck of a kick returner and Benny Blades was a great safety.

The people of Detroit should thank Lomas Brown for doing what their head coach didn't have the stones to do, stand up to an interfering suit upstairs and get their best chance to win back in the game.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

Doesn't matter if Krieg was better than Mitchell. Glad Lomas did not serve in the military. Letting your brother down is always wrong in a battle, football or real life.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to ccnsd's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Doesn't matter if Krieg was better than Mitchell. Glad Lomas did not serve in the military. Letting your brother down is always wrong in a battle, football or real life.

[/QUOTE]

Two different instances. 

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

In war when a troop leader poses a threat to his own men they sometimes let him walk into a trap, or haven't you seen any of the numerous movies about Vietnam from the 80's?  

Scott Mitchell's QB play was a let down to his teammates as well as the fan base of Detroit.  Don't like it, well war is hell...

And coincidentally, comparing sport to war is ridiculous.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

In war when a troop leader poses a threat to his own men they sometimes let him walk into a trap, or haven't you seen any of the numerous movies about Vietnam from the 80's?  

Scott Mitchell's QB play was a let down to his teammates as well as the fan base of Detroit.  Don't like it, well war is hell...

And coincidentally, comparing sport to war is ridiculous.

[/QUOTE]
    Your right about comparing war to football, but the rest is bull. If your Qb stinks, then your coach should have the balls to bench him. What Lomas did was disgusting. What a punk.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    And that's Mitchell's fault?

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]What nonsense! I'm guessing you didn't serve in 'Nam. If some a--hole 2nd Lt wanted to grab some glory by getting guys killed he needed to be wised up.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts