Former Patriots OC Bill O'Brien already talked to the Browns

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Former Patriots OC Bill O'Brien already talked to the Browns

NFL teams sometimes announce the interviews they’ve conducted, but they’re not required to do so, and in this case the Browns and O’Brien seem to have tried to keep it quiet. That’s no surprise: College coaches generally prefer not to let the high school players they’re recruiting know that they’re considering leaving.

But it would be a surprise if O’Brien weren’t considering leaving. The NCAA sanctions that were handed down at Penn State in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky scandal make his team ineligible to play in a bowl, or compete for a Big Ten championship or a national championship, for the next three years. And scholarship reductions make it unlikely that his team will be good enough to compete for a Big Ten or national championship for at least a few more years beyond the school’s bowl ban. O’Brien did excellent work last year under difficult circumstances at Penn State, but that doesn’t mean he wants to put himself through several more years of difficult circumstances.

And so it makes sense that O’Brien is talking to the Browns. And given his impressive track record as the Patriots’ offensive coordinator and his good year as the Nittany Lions’ head coach, it wouldn’t be surprising for the Browns to hire him.

--------------------------

So come on! I get it, lots of sanctions O'Brien and Penn State face becuase of that child predator that was found quilty there. (not going to use his name). 

But O'Brien had to know that there were going to be penalties, big penalties!! NO??

He should have never took the Penn St job if he wasn't willing to stick it out regardless of what the penalties were going to be.  Now this makes him look like a bad guy and well deserved so.  Plus he is sneaking around talking to teams.  Did he expect Penn St was going to get a little slap on the wrist?  Finish what you started Bill O'Brien!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Former Patriots OC Bill O'Brien already talked to the Browns

This was reported on ESPN earlier this week . . . not sure it's true:

Mortensen reported O'Brien would consider some options and even gave the reasoning. O'Brien was told by Penn State when he took the job that the Jerry Sandusky investigation was a criminal concern, not a worry for huge NCAA violations. Obviously, that turned out to be bad information.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

NFL teams sometimes announce the interviews they’ve conducted, but they’re not required to do so, and in this case the Browns and O’Brien seem to have tried to keep it quiet. That’s no surprise: College coaches generally prefer not to let the high school players they’re recruiting know that they’re considering leaving.

But it would be a surprise if O’Brien weren’t considering leaving. The NCAA sanctions that were handed down at Penn State in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky scandal make his team ineligible to play in a bowl, or compete for a Big Ten championship or a national championship, for the next three years. And scholarship reductions make it unlikely that his team will be good enough to compete for a Big Ten or national championship for at least a few more years beyond the school’s bowl ban. O’Brien did excellent work last year under difficult circumstances at Penn State, but that doesn’t mean he wants to put himself through several more years of difficult circumstances.

And so it makes sense that O’Brien is talking to the Browns. And given his impressive track record as the Patriots’ offensive coordinator and his good year as the Nittany Lions’ head coach, it wouldn’t be surprising for the Browns to hire him.

So come on! I get it, lots of sanctions O'Brien and Penn State face becuase of that child predator that was found quilty there. (not going to use his name). 

But O'Brien had to know that there were going to be penalties, big penalties!! NO??

He should have never took the Penn St job if he wasn't willing to stick it out regardless of what the penalties were going to be.  Now this makes him look like a bad guy and well deserved so.  Plus he is sneaking around talking to teams.  Did he expect Penn St was going to get a little slap on the wrist?  Finish what you started Bill O'Brien!!

[/QUOTE]

totally agree here TFB...after what those kids and that program went through now they finally get on track and see some light at the end of the tunnel and now they may lose their coach after one season??!

i thought it was a great story the way almost all of those kids made a re-committment to PSU and how O'Brien brought some pride and healing there-one of the great coaching jobs ever when u consider the unheard of circumstances it involved-and if he leaves them now that will not only hurt the team/university but O'Brien will lose a lot of respect and not only in the college ranks-in the pros too

be a shame and almost unforgiveable if he abandons them after one year now

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Brady always makes his OC's look like gods..until someone foolishly hires them and people are reminded that when your QB is, arguably, the best to ever play the game your job becomes ten times easier. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agree 100%. It's pretty messed up that these College Coaches seem to bolt for the next job whenever possible. If he takes that Browns job, Karma will not be too pleased. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

So I guess Bill O'Brien is staying at Penn State.  Apparently no NFL team wanted to fork over the money to pay for his buyout.  So Everyone is Happy now.  O'Brien gets a raise at Penn State and the kids have a good coach to count on being there next season.  While it would have been fun to possibly see O'Brien Vs BB and TFB in the Pro's, I'm more happy for those Penn State players who will be sticking around and have a good coach.  Now I can cheer for the guy even though he was possibly trying to get away.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

I hope he stays at Penn State. Coaches shouldn't take a job, sign a 10 year contract and bolt after a year unless there are unique circumstances that would cause him to leave, not a bigger contract or another job. Give it a few years at least, they sell their program to kids who chose their school over others, often because of the coach. He did a good job there, better than many thought he would. Looks like he may stay.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

[QUOTE]

So I guess Bill O'Brien is staying at Penn State.  Apparently no NFL team wanted to fork over the money to pay for his buyout.  So Everyone is Happy now.  O'Brien gets a raise at Penn State and the kids have a good coach to count on being there next season.  While it would have been fun to possibly see O'Brien Vs BB and TFB in the Pro's, I'm more happy for those Penn State players who will be sticking around and have a good coach.  Now I can cheer for the guy even though he was possibly trying to get away.

[/QUOTE]

good to hear

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

I am glad BOB is staying at Penn State. The school needs some continuity right now, and with the BB pedigree as long as he stays successful in college the pro jobs will always come calling.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am glad BOB is staying at Penn State. The school needs some continuity right now, and with the BB pedigree as long as he stays successful in college the pro jobs will always come calling.

[/QUOTE]

dunno about that bb pedigree...didn't most of his coaches fail as HC?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

dunno about that bb pedigree...didn't most of his coaches fail as HC?

[/QUOTE]

Yup but that dont stop teams from hiring them does it? I am not saying I think BOB will be succesfull as an NFL HC I am just saying he will get the opportunity.