Forum issues today

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

Forum issues today

Hi Pats fans,

I wanted to let you know what went on today with the forums.

We've decided to build our own forums and article comments instead of using those provided by another company. We believe that having that software on our own servers will give us more flexibility and control.

As part of that process, we are moving all of the data from the company we're using now to our servers. In order to make it easier for us to get that data, the company upgraded its software today.

Unfortunately, the upgrade caused problems: It messed up article comments on BostonGlobe.com, it took many of the forums offline, and it caused a few threads to disappear. After working all day to rectify it, this evening we told the company to go back to the earlier version before the upgrade.

It worked; the forums are back. Unfortunately, in reverting, all discussions started and posts added today are gone.

So, a sincere apology. I can't promise that more weird things won't happen as we make this massive transition, but our developers are working diligently to minimize the disruptions.

Thanks.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

Re: Forum issues today

Thank you Dottie  yey!! I'm out of my nightmare.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

"control" what?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

I thought something was wrong! Thanks for the info.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

BDC forum GUYS!!!  Quick, Get your b#tts IN here!  This is the room where all the girls are at!!!  Hold on, there's 1 can't see...O.k. GUYS!  Get IN Here!!!  This is the thread where all the girls are at!!!

~Also: Nice yellow lab dottie...Didn't know he tans too, and it kinda makes sense in a way.  Yellow Labs=SAINTS.  Not as d#mb as black labs, and not quite as much as the energetic total lunacy that brown labs bring to the table.  Yellow Lab:  The type of dog that will jump in front of a mugger, take a bullet to save his owner, subdue the mugger, And then en route as you're rushing him to the animal hospital right after, The Yellow Lab is the type'a dog breed that will actually be giving you those type of apologetic "I'm sorryyy for making you drive outta your way here", completely selfless eyes the entire car trip there...like he had failed you somewhere in that whole event.  Saints. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In Response to Re: Forum issues today:
    [QUOTE]"control" what?
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

I guess you're not in the IT profession.  I can only imagine what type of control you must be thinking lol.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

actually what they are thinking of is what a local newspaper did here, requiring you to register actual name and address along with a credit card.  the local paper charges a nominal one-time fee, but what if you had a regular recurring fee to be able to comment?  Control for these guys means revenue enhancement.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

[QUOTE]actually what they are thinking of is what a local newspaper did here, requiring you to register actual name and address along with a credit card.  the local paper charges a nominal one-time fee, but what if you had a regular recurring fee to be able to comment?  Control for these guys means revenue enhancement.
    Posted by provpats[/QUOTE]
    A number of my insights over the past eight years have been far more on the money than anything coming from salaried Boston Globe Patriots beat reporters.  If you try the one-time fee, you will lose me.  I will seamlessly migrate elsewhere and my writing will then technically be in competition with you. 

If the Globe is getting desperate because they're going broke otherwise, I'm sorry for them.  Ah Bartleby, ah humanity.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

This also goes along with the new site, putting more content behind a wall

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

IP banning isn't going to work.  To easy to spoof, of post from a different computer, or just get a different IP.  I have my ISP change my outward facing IP regularly as a general security measure.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

[QUOTE]IP banning isn't going to work.  To easy to spoof, of post from a different computer, or just get a different IP.  I have my ISP change my outward facing IP regularly as a general security measure.
    Posted by Davedsone[/QUOTE]

Respectfully disagree Dave. Your ISP is also assigned certain IP addresses. You perhaps may be in New Hampshire but your ISP is perhaps in CT. All IP 'world wide'  IP formats are in this format:

Ip format: ALWAYS 10-11 digits
    XXX.ZZZ.YY.XX?

Your ISP everytime you sign on will issue you the same (have to) format with the exception of the 9-11th digits. If the BDC bans an IP address it will succeed in banning an accused troll because the only last last 3 digits change from your ISP.

You need not worry because you may sign-off then on again and the last 3 digits may change but never the first 8 digits, so your safe anyway from hackers knowing your EXACT IP address. Using another computer with the same ISP at the same location will also ban THAT OTHER COMPUTER, so the only recourse a nutter would have is to put on his skivvies and go out to an internet shop and resign up and blast away. Too much bother for them.

By banning the first 8 digits the BDC will succeed and the odds of any innocent person being banned is like the lotto..many millions to one. The only case in which an innocent person would be banned is if the the nutter has a friend working at the same company that also is a member of BDC forum, then he is also SOL.
    It goes further but I will explain this in more detail if you wish.

I Enjoy your comments....

Sections
Shortcuts