Four things I'm pretty sure about regarding this draft...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Four things I'm pretty sure about regarding this draft...

1)  New England will make their pick at number 29.  With the quality players sure to be available in the third and fourth rounds, most teams will be trying to trade back this year.  I don't think there will be much of a demand to trade up.  Therefore the payoff for trading back won't be very good.  Teams will not be very willing to trade away their third and fourth rounders, so I think if New England wanted to move back 10 spots or so, say to JAX's spot at #39, they might only get a fifth and sixth rounder in return.  That's poor value so Belichick won't do it.

2)  Ryan Mallett will definitely not be traded.  I think most people realize this by now, but there are still a few who think he has value.  He doesn't.  He will play out the 2014 season in New England and then sign elsewhere as a free agent, likely as a backup.

3)  New England will wait until Day 3 to draft a tight end.  Barring a miracle scenario in which Ebron fell to number 29, I just can't see New England being in love with any of these guys in the second or third round. Maybe ASJ or Amaro at 62 would be worth the pick, but I think both of those guys are gone before then.  I could see them trading up to grab CJF in the early fourth if he last that long.

4)  New England will not take Hageman at number 29.  Seemingly every mock draft I look at has him projected to be our pick there, so of course it will not happen.  Ultimately I don't think Belichick will see him as a sure thing.  My money is on Tuitt, Nix, or Lord forbid even Easley if BB goes D-Line at 29.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Re: Four things I'm pretty sure about regarding this draft...

I'll stick with what I have learned about every BB draft....I know nothing as to what he's going to do.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'll stick with what I have learned about every BB draft....I know nothing as to what he's going to do.

[/QUOTE]

Lol!  I think we're all in that boat, but it's fun to try and make a few predictions.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Pretty goo thoughts Farmer. But some possible curve balls....

For example, if a player (a QB perhaps but even a WR or some other position player) falls far enough there might be some added interest to trade up just for that one guy. That could change the equation where otherwise you would be right.

Regarding Mallet, again it seems like you should be right but perhaps someone decides they will give a 5th this year and a conditional pick next year based on whether he starts X number of games? Perhaps a conditional 3rd or 4th if he starts X games and otherwise a 5th?

As for Hageman, he is on my list of 4 guys I would like to see but am not married to. I think you are right that if many say we get him the chances drop! But still, who knows.....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Has BB ever stuck to form or expectations?  Every draft he has surprised all with his picks, didn't he?

AGCSBill, just a fan havin' fun!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Maybe he will surprise this year by doing something we want him to do!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Who is this "WE" . . . I read the board and see some who want Teddy Bridgewater as the 1st pick, some want a WR, some want a TE, some want a LB, some want a DE, and some want a DT and some want offensive line help  . . . I just want the first pick to be good enough to beat out anyone already on this team for a starting job!  Think Bill knows the team, the needs and the players . . . in BB I trust!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Has BB ever stuck to form or expectations?  Every draft he has surprised all with his picks, didn't he?

AGCSBill, just a fan havin' fun!!

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

He has tendencies, yes. Like for instance he always takes a guy with top 10 performance at their position in the 3 cone. They also generally grab 1 guy that they bring in for PW's. Lately he's had a trend to double dip at a position usually within the first 4 rounds. He also rarely breaks from certain size dimensions on positions (ie LB, DL, and OL). He also tends to take a player from one of his connections in the college ranks. So you can semi predict certain moves (why I though Collins last year, Moe as a UDFA, Rutgers players, Hightower many thought) but no you can't accurately predict the spot they are taken or which ones would be taken.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ha!  This is probably the most unlikely scenario of all!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

With respect to BB's intentions I think he's created a number of scenarios depending on what those ahead of him do in the draft.  So in that sense he doesn't know what he's going to do yet.  I agree that Hageman is unlikely.  I'm thinking Nix if he stays at 29.  But then again, what the he11 do I know?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

1)  New England will make their pick at number 29.  With the quality players sure to be available in the third and fourth rounds, most teams will be trying to trade back this year.  I don't think there will be much of a demand to trade up.  Therefore the payoff for trading back won't be very good.  Teams will not be very willing to trade away their third and fourth rounders, so I think if New England wanted to move back 10 spots or so, say to JAX's spot at #39, they might only get a fifth and sixth rounder in return.  That's poor value so Belichick won't do it.

2)  Ryan Mallett will definitely not be traded.  I think most people realize this by now, but there are still a few who think he has value.  He doesn't.  He will play out the 2014 season in New England and then sign elsewhere as a free agent, likely as a backup.

3)  New England will wait until Day 3 to draft a tight end.  Barring a miracle scenario in which Ebron fell to number 29, I just can't see New England being in love with any of these guys in the second or third round. Maybe ASJ or Amaro at 62 would be worth the pick, but I think both of those guys are gone before then.  I could see them trading up to grab CJF in the early fourth if he last that long.

4)  New England will not take Hageman at number 29.  Seemingly every mock draft I look at has him projected to be our pick there, so of course it will not happen.  Ultimately I don't think Belichick will see him as a sure thing.  My money is on Tuitt, Nix, or Lord forbid even Easley if BB goes D-Line at 29.

[/QUOTE]

I think you are missing the point that the value in keeping a first is in the 5 year contract, not 4 years or fewer

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

Here's what I'm pretty sure of, I'll be tired and cranky on Fri.

I get up at 0330 every day, I won't be able to keep myself from staying up for the Pats pick at 29. Bill will trade it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I've seen them draft a lot for need over the past few seasons (with mixed results), so it wouldn't surprise me to see them reach on someone...especially in the second. I think they will try like hell to trade back, but like wazzu said, the value won't be what they've come to expect. Our needs are tight end, defensive line and offensive line - I could certainly see an offensive lineman in the first, because I just don't think there is talent warranted for first round selection where we are selecting at the defensive line. I think there are some concerns with the center of our line (center, guard), it wouldn't surprise me to see them go center in the first.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

^This right here.

Every year no one has a clue and it's to the point the ESPN heads and all others who follow those morons become so enraged, they claim BB blew it.

Then the entire anti-Pats and anti-BB media/contingent talk about NE's downfall for the next 6 months.

I sit back and chuckle and have been the last 4 drafts or so.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Moving down, pick up more picks....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

I don't think BB likes the drop off at the DT/DE position he'll go with the best value pick. It'll prob be a LB, WR, or an O lineman.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

1.) BB will make a trade during the draft.  Be it picks, Mallet or maybe Ridley.  My thinking on Ridley is that he will have his contract up at the end of the year and he is not reliable with the football.  BB may deem this a liability.

2.) BB will draft at least 2 OL players

3.) BB will make a selection that makes everyone scratch their head.  Be it a WR or QB in the first or some reach in the second or third round.

4.) At least 2 UDFA's will make the team this year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

BB can surprise me as long as he takes interior linemen. If an OLB or a TE worthy of taking are a better selection then that's ok.  Just say no to QB. 

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?