Franchise Tag in 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

Franchise Tag in 2013

Ok, so if Wes has a banner year, and a long term contract is not worked out, do they franchise him again?  Aren't Hern and Gronk coming due?  Anyone other prime players?  I think they should lock Wes up now so they can use the tag on somebody else next year.Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Re: Franchise Tag in 2013

Nope - no way they go to 11.4M which is what the franchise would be.
    I actually think they should have not franchised him and matched whatever another team offered this year. WW was going to give them the right to match any offer - he doesn't want to leave. While teams were throwing some silly money around at receivers this off season, I don't think any team would have offered him more than 18M guaranteed over two seasons - the contract might have been longer, but the guaranteed money would have been in that range or less.
    If WW was sitting there with a chance to play for say Miami at 18M guaranteed or to play for the pats at 16M guaranteed, it would have been a reality check for him. Is 2M over 2 years worth losing 14 more games? I actually do not think he is a greedy guy, but it is hard to think in a vacuum with the agent whispering in your ear.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Don't waste it on Wes. If they offer 2 years at 16 mil after this season and he turns it down let it walk. There a 20 Jeremy Eberts out there that can replace hin at a quarter of the cost.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

KP is right. The Pats could draft his replacement for less or spread the production to say 2 players who cost a combined 4-6m per year. And yeah like I been saying all along if Gronk and Hernandez continue to contribute Mr. Kraft will pay them. Gronk is essentially a future tag candidate. It might be wiser to trade Welker and try to negotiate a deal with Gronk before his current contract expires (this could be playing the acting in good faith card down the road).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

id like bb to speak to wes.

weve got 3 options wes
    3 years 21 mil, 2 years 16 mil, or 1 year 9.5 mil. all depends on how long you want to be a patriot.

bb could still trade him, but seems he would have more value here. if we could get a #1, it could be a conversation.