Franchise Tag

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Franchise Tag

Can the Pats pull the franchise tag anytime prior to it being signed?
    I am just wondering what happens if WW doesn't sign through OTAs and Mini-camp and the team decides that they really like some combination of Gaffney, Edelman, Gonzalez, and Ebert in the slot during those practices.
    Do they go to WW and say - here is a 2 year contract, here is the franchise tender - sign one or the other, or if you prefer, we will pull the Tag and you are free to negotiate with anyone?
    I think after July 16 they can reduce the tag number but cannot withdraw the offer as WW cannot negotiate any other deal. But mini-camp completes before July 16.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

Re: Franchise Tag

Yes ...
    My understanding is unsigned tags can be pulled at anytime.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

In Response to Re: Franchise Tag:
    [QUOTE]Yes ... My understanding is unsigned tags can be pulled at anytime.
    Posted by CaptnFoxboro[/QUOTE]

Question.

If the tag were to be removed and Welker signs with another team, do the Pats receive any kind of compensation from that team?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Welker gets dealt with the tag. This is why in 2009 it took balls or at least some nice strategy and friends in the right places (Pioli), to turn over Cassel's 16 million on the books to KC. 

KC then extended Cassel with a long term deal and dropped the 16 million dollar 2009 price tag. But, he was dealt with the tag on him.

If you mean Welker would agree to be dealt if he got a 10 mil pr 4 year deal, then yeah, in all intents and purposes, the tag becomes moot.

But, in NE's case, I don't see what pulling the tag back even does. Welker has value. I don't think any team has pulled one back barring the long term deal ironed out.  If you pull it back, Welker is then a FA.   There is a deadline to apply it and once applied, the tag cost hits the books that year. Pretty sure Welker's is an exclusive tag.

Welker can hold out until Week 10 like Mankins did, but then he only ends up getting about half the tag (around 4.5 mil).

Otherwise, why didn't NE pull Mankins tag back when he didn't report? Would have saved NE cap space earluer in the year and then they just could have expected half of Mankin's hit by Week 10 and beyond.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

no none!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

[QUOTE]no none!
    Posted by natesubs[/QUOTE]

Well, I guess if he dosen't sign the tag or agree to a new contract and the Pats feel like they want to move on without WW then the best move is obviously a trade.

Still, I do like Welker but not enough to open up the bank for him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Basically, BB is willing to ride it out until Welker has to report by Week 10 to get his half year's 4.5 million.

They're either determined to meet in the middle for whats' fair or we're going to see another Mankins type scenario. 

And, there's no doubt BB Has signed a slew of WRs to put some pressure on Welker.
    The ideal case is if Welker is being ridiculous (already rejected a 2 year 18 million guaranteed deal), is to find a team that will want to give him what he wants and we take a 1st rd pick back.

A 2nd rd pick seems too low to me.  I get he's 30, but trading away the best slot WR in football who can alter gameplans for a defense, is worth a 1st rd pick, not a 2nd.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In addition to the 32 selections in each of the seven rounds, a total of 32 compensatory picks are awarded to teams that have lost more or better compensatory free agents than they signed in the previous year.[58] Teams that gain and lose the same number of players but lose higher-valued players than they gain also can be awarded a pick, but only in the seventh round, after the other compensatory picks. Compensatory picks cannot be traded, and the placement of the picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player's salary, playing time, and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor. So, for example, a team that lost a linebacker who signed for $2.5 million per year in free agency might get a sixth-round compensatory pick, while a team that lost a wide receiver who signed for $5 million per year might receive a fourth-round pick. awarded at the ends of Rounds 3 through 7

If fewer than 32 such picks are awarded, the remaining picks are awarded in the order in which teams would pick in a hypothetical eighth round of the draft (These are known as "supplemental compensatory selections").

Compensatory picks are awarded each year at the NFL annual meeting which is held at the end of March; typically, about three or four weeks before the draft

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Franchise Tag : Well, I guess if he dosen't sign the tag or agree to a new contract and the Pats feel like they want to move on without WW then the best move is obviously a trade. Still, I do like Welker but not enough to open up the bank for him.
    Posted by Salcon[/QUOTE]

Except they can't trade him until he signs either the tag or a contract.  If he doesn't sign either, he doesn't work for the Patriots and they have no right or ability to trade him. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

From the CBA

Any of the Required Tenders [i.e., Franchise Tag Tenders] set forth in this Section 2 may be with-drawn at any time, but if such Tender is withdrawn, the player immediately becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent and thereafter is completely free to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with any Club, and any Club shall be completely free to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with any such player, without any penalty or restriction, including, but not limited to, Draft Choice Compensation between Clubs or First Refusal Rights of any kind, or any signing period. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Franchise Tag : Except they can't trade him until he signs either the tag or a contract.  If he doesn't sign either, he doesn't work for the Patriots and they have no right or ability to trade him. 
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

If that's the case which I doubt it would come to but if he didn't sign either is he free to sign with another team?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Franchise Tag : If that's the case which I doubt it would come to but if he didn't sign either is he free to sign with another team?
    Posted by Salcon[/QUOTE]

No, he can only sign with another team if the Pats withdraw the tag.  As long as the tag is in place, Welker can sign only with the Pats.  The only way a trade could occur before Welker signs either the tender or a contract is for Welker, the Pats and a second team to all come to a mutual agreement in which Welker agrees to sign a contract with the Pats and the Pats agree to immediately trade him to the second team with which Welker has already agreed to terms.  This is a complex scenario that requires all three parties (Welker, the Pats, and the other team) to agree to a deal. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Franchise Tag : No, he can only sign with another team if the Pats withdraw the tag.  As long as the tag is in place, Welker can sign only with the Pats.  The only way a trade could occur before Welker signs either the tender or a contract is for Welker, the Pats and a second team to all come to a mutual agreement in which Welker agrees to sign a contract with the Pats and the Pats agree to immediately trade him to the second team with which Welker has already agreed to terms.  This is a complex scenario that requires all three parties (Welker, the Pats, and the other team) to agree to a deal.   
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]
    Got it.

Thanks.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In Response to Franchise Tag:
    [QUOTE]what happens if the team decides that they really like some combination of Gaffney, Edelman, Gonzalez, and Ebert in the slot during those practices.
    Posted by mia76[/QUOTE]

Bwahahaha! You have to be kidding, right?